Is there a video player equivalent to the great sounding amarra? I watch alot of high def .mkv files with DTS tracks....having amarra makes me realize how much I've been compromising on sound quality with VLC player.
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Does every company have their particular sound? Last post on 10/1/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- amp or headphone advice Last post on 10/1/14 at 2:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- amp & headphone advice? Last post on 10/6/14 at 2:08pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for comfort/deep over ear phones Last post on 9/25/14 at 1:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Brown Innovations Virtuoso Amplifier/Active Equalizer / O1198 Last post on 9/21/14 at 1:21am in Portable Headphone Amps
I don’t get asked very often about the Private 333 amongst the Fitear customs I own. Nor do you hear people raving about it as you might in respect of the C435, the MH 334 and the MH335DW....
Before I begin with my review of the Beyerdynamic XP1, all of the below are solely what I’ve managed to get out of the IEM, I suggest to try it out or read some other people’s review to get a...
See The Whole Review With Pictures Here: http://db-headphones.blogspot.com ... Oh and ignore the sliders for the audio quality, value etc. I can't edit the slider scoring on mobile. Disclaimer: I...
Disclaimer First of all, huge thanks to Audrey and the Brainwavz team for giving me the opportunity to write this review. Please note that I was not paid to write this review, nor am I...
First, the normal boilerplate stuff - Audio setup - FLAC files in Media Monkey -> Amazon Basics TOSLINK cable -> Schiit Bifrost w/Uber upgrade -> Knukoncept Shielded RCAs -> Project Ember...
Accidentally overcranked hd600...help - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
VLC isn't actually bad - from my listening its SQ on live performances isn't that much behind the audio ripped from the same video file played on MediaMonkey (if it's really even of lower quality at all). Just set it to 100% and use the potentiometer on your amp. If Amarra sounds better for you then just use that for pure audio and VLC for video.
I like VLC, but I hate the ability to go over 100%. It just sounds terrible. And since they mapped the volume to the scroll wheel I might have VLC on my secondary screen and not realize it's still selected, I try to scroll up/down on a website and I end up changing the volume.
I don't like software volume control anyway, it's generally just a quality killer.
Never noticed that - usually when I use VLC I just watch the video, and use MediaMonkey for music (while browsing, or not). Good thing I found out about this before I make any mistake of answering Skype or doing anything other than VLC only to get a nasty surprise.
I've had my Senn hd600 (plus audioengine d1 amp) for a few days and have been enjoying them. But tonight I was lying in bed far from the computer and listening to some music with the help of an extension cable...I had my wireless mouse next to me so I could control the computer from the bed. I was listening to Danny Elfman's remastered Batman score in VLC player, and the volume was a bit too low so I leaned forward with the mouse to get a closer look at the (very small) volume control on VLC player...when I tried to move the slider up a bit, the mouse suddenly went haywire and cranked it nearly all the way up, but only for a split second until I got control back and lowered the volume...but in that split second I heard the music distort in the headphones.
Suddenly I am certain I've done some damage to the cans...though I am not really certain because they sound the same, but for some reason I think they're suddenly less detailed. I am listening to other recognizable music in my collection to make sure everything sounds the same, I don't know if it is my paranoia playing tricks on my ears, or what...can something like what just happened ruin headphones?
Wow the D1 did that? I don't use the onboard amp because it doesn't get loud enough for me on quiet sources like blu-ray movies and classical but even with the volume all the way up listening to skrillex it's never distorted in my headphone before.
I can tell you that you didn't damage your headphones though. What causes damage is heat and friction, you would have to drive them at insane volume for several minutes before the voice coils got hot enough to start de-laminating or de-gausing the magnet. That kind of damage initially would present as sudden dips in volume at certain frequencies as it would effect the ease with which the voice coil can move in it's enclosure, like it would bind sometimes which would cause crackling and drops in volume at certain frequencies.
Anyway please rest assured, the Audioengine Amp has a perfect gain on it and even at 100% volume at Windows mixer and physical volume knob, it isn't enough to distort 250ohm Beyerdynamics, in fact it sounds badass. It's not even loud enough to hurt my hearing hehe, I'd guess maybe 94db at max volume on a loud song.
If your media player like VLC allows you to increase gain to get a louder volume, what you probably heard was digital clipping. 16bit audio has 65,356 levels of voltage and when you turn it up all the way and max out the DAC then it basically turns any wave into a square wave since there is no 65,357, 65,358 etc etc. This is a very nasty kind of distortion to hear but shouldn't have hurt your headphones.
Edited by Kodhifi - 2/19/13 at 10:25pm
- Accidentally overcranked hd600...help
- › The Stax Thread III 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sony Xperia Z1 Compact 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 4 minutes ago
- › Excellent Condition Alessandro Grado Ms2i " Music Series 2 " ... 7 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page latest FW download & general... 7 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone 8 minutes ago
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by aquamacs
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by thatonenoob
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by H20Fidelity
- › Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 by smitty1110
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)