Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread - Page 54

post #796 of 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post

But wouldn't that mean that you can't have really really good clarity/soundstage with specific types of sound signatures?
I'm not really trying to argue here, I'm just asking :) Sound science is something I want to stay away from.

 

Effect of time also makes a huge difference.  There is also the effect of the harmonics and other tones that instrument (that creates clarity) creates that can be boosted (instead of the main frequency) that creates the illusion of clarity. 

 

I'm with you on this actually, let's change the subject back to the SM64.

post #797 of 1220

OK, Let's STOP.

 

This thread has devolved into the same arguments that always happen when certain people become involved in a thread. They have a distinctly cancerous effect almost everywhere they go.

 

We're not doing the SM64 owners any favors, so let's just quit and let them have their thread back.

 

Sorry for the derailment.

post #798 of 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Like I said, prove it. I've made my own EQ curves following your techniques. What you're trying to do was attempted in the dark ages by alchemists. 

 

Subjectivist? I follow a holistic approach, and I know the value and limits of measurements. You, on the other hand, sound like a fanatic..."non-believers." rolleyes.gif

 

Again, you fail to distinguish between technical performance and frequency response.

 

Then tell you what. Place your files on a flash drive, and send it out along with your phones. The panel can have an 85% pass rate, to account for such differences. Technical performance shouldn't be affected by frequencies.

 

Yes, your MH463 surpasses the Orpheus...for your ears. Good.

 

Feel free to PM me when you're made the necessary arrangements.

I didn't even complete my written tutorial and trying to walk someone through it interactively on the net was a disaster and you claim that you've "followed my technique"?  How?

 

I go by what my ears tell me too.

 

You fail to point out what "technical performance" metric you're referring to.  What technical measurement shows that the SM64 is technically superior to any number of well engineered IEMs for a fraction of the price?

 

My contention is that such a panel would not find my phones "superior" to expensive phones, EXACTLY because "technical performance" CAN be affected by frequencies.  At best it would sound as good as *a* high end phone, and people squabble all the time over *which* high end phone sounds the best.  Given the number of different TOTL phones out there I would be surprised if my phones get the nod more than 10% of the time even if it is indeed "technically" up there with the best, simply as a result of random chance picking.  Too many good phones to choose from and prefer over each other.

 

I said the MH463's sound sig has been tailored to my ears while the Orpheus wasn't.  I don't claim to have heard the latter or that the former sounds better than the latter to me (although this is possible if the latter's sound sig is too far from my preferences)

 

I would be tempted to go along with this experiment if I didn't just sell off the spare pair of MH463 I had.


Edited by Joe Bloggs - 6/28/13 at 9:17am
post #799 of 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

I said the MH463's sound sig has been tailored to my ears while the Orpheus wasn't.  I don't claim to have heard the latter or that the former sounds better than the latter to me (although this is possible if the latter's sound sig is too far from my preferences)

 

Ha!

 

And back to our regularly scheduled SM64 programming.

post #800 of 1220

Post above updated.
 

post #801 of 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

As I stated, we know about the main frequencies that impact it, but there are other frequencies that can impact it as well.  They are in the FR, but where.  Music is a holistic thing.  Our definitions remain very separated from one another...  What frequencies can mask clarity and sweetness.  How about detailing? Or how about a secondary-tone that creates the illusion of detailing (the main frequency isn't heard, but that certain instruments secondary can be heard creating the detailing). 

 

I've also bolded something...  A flaw...  If it was truly objective, like they state, it would would all the time. 

Measurements aren't 100% objective, and even if they don't work for all headphones/iems on earth those measurements still remain more objective than our hearing. For instance how would you call something that is regarded both as sweet and sour at the same time by different groups of people? Our ears and brains are no way more objective than numbers because you have to factor in taste, and don't forget each one of us has out own HRTF that hardly matches 100% someone else's. That's why we need something universal, something referenced enough to hold onto even if it's not 'truly objective', and not to mention the concept of 'definite' doesn't exist in engineering world.

 

About clarity and sweetness, I thought they already explained it when people tried to find out what makes SS and tubes sound so different?


Edited by tranhieu - 6/28/13 at 9:18am
post #802 of 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

OK, Let's STOP.

 

This thread has devolved into the same arguments that always happen when certain people become involved in a thread. They have a distinctly cancerous effect almost everywhere they go.

 

We're not doing the SM64 owners any favors, so let's just quit and let them have their thread back.

 

Sorry for the derailment.

 

Agreed.

(saw this a little late)

post #803 of 1220

Are we done with the angry sound science?
Cool! :)


Has anyone here tried some aftermarket cables with the SM64? I know Rudi did, but he never mentioned how his cables are changing the sound.
I also tried my Silverray cable with the Sm64 bu didn't really heard any difference.

post #804 of 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post

Are we done with the angry sound science?
Cool! :)


Has anyone here tried some aftermarket cables with the SM64? I know Rudi did, but he never mentioned how his cables are changing the sound.
I also tried my Silverray cable with the Sm64 bu didn't really heard any difference.


Actually I've been looking around trying to find some decent aftermarket cables. Originally I was going to go with ALO but after inquiring and researching a bit on cables I realized ALO was asking to much for the type of cable they were offering. I'm thinking of going with either plusSound or Double Helix. I really like the look of their workmanship and they offer a lot of options on site for your cable build. Double Helix even offers a custom modified Apple lightening cable which is handy considering I use an iPhone and will eventually need a new iPod Touch in the near future.

post #805 of 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


Actually I've been looking around trying to find some decent aftermarket cables. Originally I was going to go with ALO but after inquiring and researching a bit on cables I realized ALO was asking to much for the type of cable they were offering. I'm thinking of going with either plusSound or Double Helix. I really like the look of their workmanship and they offer a lot of options on site for your cable build. Double Helix even offers a custom modified Apple lightening cable which is handy considering I use an iPhone and will eventually need a new iPod Touch in the near future.

Never heard of these two companies, but the cables look nice! Price also seems reasonable.
If I decide to buy another upgrade cable, I really want something that is as flexible as the SM64 stock cable. Most of the cables I looked at, look like they are as flexible as a wire-coat hanger....Cables like these are just not suitable for a portable rig IMO.

post #806 of 1220
Thank you guys....smily_headphones1.gif


Magnus 1 could be fine... very good flexibiliy...

And the Btg cables are also very great...
Edited by sly_in_the_sky - 6/28/13 at 12:11pm
post #807 of 1220

Ok-

 

sly, tom yum etc. The people that appreciate these phones...

 

Let's suppose the 5k "suckout" is there. OK. Perhaps that is why my ears aren't experiencing sibilance with these. EVER. I get great extension at either end, and a depth of soundstage I really enjoy. The "transparency" if that's the correct term on the W4 is better, but I have sibilance issues without Ink's modifications. I am not modifying the SM64 in any usage. They DO tend to like amplification. These flesh out vocals with a realism I can't get with another IEM. 

 

DigitalFreak-

 

You've again labeled these "fun" as opposed to "audiophile. I thought the term was clarified several posts back as not meaning what you think it means. I believe the term you are referring to is flat or neutral and not "audiophile". I do think they are warmer depending upon your reference point. A W4 then is not audiophile nor is a DBA-02 or EQ-5 etc etc by your definition. The SM64 is probably not neutral. It sounds like the intended usage as a stage monitor in my opinion. In general a stage monitor like the SM3 and UM3x are bassy (at least compared to an ER-4). If the SM3 is your reference point for an audiophile then these are drier/leaner and an improvement on neutrality. If an ER-4 is your reference then they're bassy. OK. Compared to Turbines they're cold.

 

 My ears do change day to day, but these are consistently good. I'm happy with them. I'm NOT happy with the mudslinging and nonsense on these forums lately. 

post #808 of 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkRemains View Post

Ok-

 

sly, tom yum etc. The people that appreciate these phones...

 

Let's suppose the 5k "suckout" is there. OK. Perhaps that is why my ears aren't experiencing sibilance with these. EVER. I get great extension at either end, and a depth of soundstage I really enjoy. The "transparency" if that's the correct term on the W4 is better, but I have sibilance issues without Ink's modifications. I am not modifying the SM64 in any usage. They DO tend to like amplification. These flesh out vocals with a realism I can't get with another IEM. 

 

DigitalFreak-

 

You've again labeled these "fun" as opposed to "audiophile. I thought the term was clarified several posts back as not meaning what you think it means. I believe the term you are referring to is flat or neutral and not "audiophile". I do think they are warmer depending upon your reference point. A W4 then is not audiophile nor is a DBA-02 or EQ-5 etc etc by your definition. The SM64 is probably not neutral. It sounds like the intended usage as a stage monitor in my opinion. In general a stage monitor like the SM3 and UM3x are bassy (at least compared to an ER-4). If the SM3 is your reference point for an audiophile then these are drier/leaner and an improvement on neutrality. If an ER-4 is your reference then they're bassy. OK. Compared to Turbines they're cold.

 

 My ears do change day to day, but these are consistently good. I'm happy with them. I'm NOT happy with the mudslinging and nonsense on these forums lately. 


Well spoken, sir.
I have nothing to add :)

I really want to know how my SM64 will sound with the Fiio X3...why does this thing take so long to get released here?

post #809 of 1220

@TheMarkRemains

@TomYumGoon

 

Dudes, I can guarantee you right now if we all went out amongst the other threads and started posting our feelings on the SM64 using the term audiophile we would all get overflowed with certain types of people who would say they're not audiophile gear. I do understand what you're saying and believe it or not I don't disagree. The thing is, a puritan considers the term audiophile as someone who listens to neutral gear which sounds like absolutely nothing and is as flat as the great Canadian plains. The SM64's are mid centric, they have slightly accentuated bass and have a slightly warm tinge throughout the sig.  A lot of people on here will laugh at the idea of the SM64 being referred to as an audiophile IEM. I began to use the term audiophile on here in the puritan sense only to simply keep certain puritans, who shall remain nameless, off my back, no more no less. It does not mean just because I termed it as fun and not audiophile I look at it as an inferior product. Get where I'm coming from? Whats the problem with describing the SM64 as fun anyways? It is fun, it's a blast to listen to. What could possibly be wrong with that?


Edited by DigitalFreak - 7/1/13 at 6:29pm
post #810 of 1220
Agreed - waiting on the X3
Agreed - 64s are fun (yet also classy)
Edited by ericr - 7/1/13 at 10:37pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread