Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread - Page 51

post #751 of 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

I'm pretty sure there's a rule somewhere that prevents members from posting specific thoughts about gear they hadn't heard.

Yes, I've often had that same thought of late... If someone listens to it and feels something is wrong, then looks at a graph and it provides an explanation, then fair enough. But calling an earphone an abomination purely because of electroacoustic engineering standards is dubious, to say the least.

post #752 of 1253

Inks you surely have ears but...

 

When you say that GR 07 ( that are really good, I admit but..) have no real weekness and state that the SM 64 are done by amateurs, sorry but I tend to wonder. 

 

We mostly speak about medium/treble transition and sorry to say that for example the GR 07 you said to be good and almost without weaknesses, this medium/treble transition is to me by far, less good in the vsonic than in the Sm 64. It can be my ears perception but it is well known that I m not the only one to find the GR 07 sometimes harsh, sometimes sibillant in this frequ aerea....in comparison with the Sm 64.


Edited by sly_in_the_sky - 6/28/13 at 1:06am
post #753 of 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

There's a market because the proper protocols to allow it are complicated and intricate. But re-read Joe's post, in a scientific controlled blind test, in headphones [where there are more variables] it was done with success. Price-bias is huge, spending 1000+$ on gear already makes it sound 10x better.


You do realize that if you tell the average person on the street you spent 1000 plus bones on an earphone the very vast majority will think you're some sort of loon. Most people don't believe an earphone could ever cost that much much less be worth it even though they do exist on the market.

post #754 of 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly_in_the_sky View Post

Inks you surely have ears but...

 

When you say that GR 0 ( that are really good) have no real weekness and state that the SM 64 are done by amateurs, sorry but I tend to wonder. 

 

What about the EX1000? It has it's own flaws as well but he likes them? Isn't that weird? ;)

 


Edited by lee730 - 6/28/13 at 1:06am
post #755 of 1253
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

What about the EX1000? It has it's own flaws as well but he likes them? Isn't that shocking ;).

I do like them because they are the best sounding dynamic from the lower midrange to bass. Sadly the spikes spoil the fun but EQ does help, but I don't EQ for convenience reasons, so it's hardly used.

 

GR07, use Shure PA757 tips and it goes away.


Edited by Inks - 6/28/13 at 1:06am
post #756 of 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

I do like them because they are the best sounding dynamic from the lower midrange to bass. Sadly the spikes spoil the fun but EQ does help, but I don't EQ for convenience reasons, so it's hardly used.

 

GR07, use PA757 tips and it goes away.


Invest in tri-flanges or Complys, they do wonders taming down those spikes. A Meelectronic dual flange is the sweet spot for my EX600.

post #757 of 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


Invest in tri-flanges or Complys, they do wonders taming down those spikes. A Meelectronic dual flange is the sweet spot for my EX600.

You know, I haven't tried a Meelec Triflange plus Rin's cloth damper combo,that may do the trick...


Edited by Inks - 6/28/13 at 1:12am
post #758 of 1253

digital freak

 

+1..... hahaaa

 

Ah ok so also do the same with the Sm 64 and stop..

 

I use them with my earmolds and theres 0 sibillance  ZERO

 

Nichts, null, nada, niente, rien, NOTHING!!!!!


Edited by sly_in_the_sky - 6/28/13 at 1:12am
post #759 of 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

I've extensively used EQ and the results aren't the same. Believe what you want though. Guess it's good to think in such as way though to save money. But it's a naive perspective and a gross oversimplification of the concept as a whole IMO.


I agree it goes both ways.

Oh I know better than anyone how hard it can be to EQ your phones to make them actually sound good. In some part it has to do with poor quality of common EQs but when you are at the helm of a top quality parametric EQ, YOU become the sole chef of your own sound and the potential for screwup is huge, it's like a random walk through an endless wilderness looking for the spot that marks the treasure chest. You also become picky of the resulting sound in a way that's impossible if you wrre forced to live with whatever was given you. Most people find it easier to have their sound cooked and readied for them by a handful of rich manufacturers, but from what I heard going to head-fi meets and the plentiful headphone shops in Hong Kong, I'm being better served with the sound from my $80 Ety MC3 and $50 Somic MH463 exquisitely tuned for my own ears for 99% of my music than most any phones I heard at any price without tuning. biggrin.gif
post #760 of 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post


Oh I know better than anyone how hard it can be to EQ your phones to make them actually sound good. In some part it has to do with poor quality of common EQs but when you are at the helm of a top quality parametric EQ, YOU become the sole chef of your own sound and the potential for screwup is huge, it's like a random walk through an endless wilderness looking for the spot that marks the treasure chest. You also become picky of the resulting sound in a way that's impossible if you wrre forced to live with whatever was given you. Most people find it easier to have their sound cooked and readied for them by a handful of rich manufacturers, but from what I heard going to head-fi meets and the plentiful headphone shops in Hong Kong, I'm being better served with the sound from my $80 Ety MC3 and $50 Somic MH463 exquisitely tuned for my own ears for 99% of my music than most any phones I heard at any price without tuning. biggrin.gif

 

Your first point really doesn't make much sense at all lol. The same could be said about the people who manufacture our underwear? (should we be making our own underwear to save money as well? ;). Whats the point? I've tried cheaper solutions. Enjoyed some to be honest but nothing has given me the enjoyment that I get from my current IEMs. It has nothing to do with the price tags on them that reflects my enjoyment. It just so happens they also costs more. 

 

Regarding your second sentence I underlined; In the end that is all that really matters right? ;). But that doesn't mean others will agree with you.


Edited by lee730 - 6/28/13 at 1:35am
post #761 of 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post


Oh I know better than anyone how hard it can be to EQ your phones to make them actually sound good. In some part it has to do with poor quality of common EQs but when you are at the helm of a top quality parametric EQ, YOU become the sole chef of your own sound and the potential for screwup is huge, it's like a random walk through an endless wilderness looking for the spot that marks the treasure chest. You also become picky of the resulting sound in a way that's impossible if you wrre forced to live with whatever was given you. Most people find it easier to have their sound cooked and readied for them by a handful of rich manufacturers, but from what I heard going to head-fi meets and the plentiful headphone shops in Hong Kong, I'm being better served with the sound from my $80 Ety MC3 and $50 Somic MH463 exquisitely tuned for my own ears for 99% of my music than most any phones I heard at any price without tuning. biggrin.gif

 

I can imagine all those mean an rich manufacturers coming at night to take the money from you student allowance...boooooouuuuhhh. I love this vision, so realistic, multi layered an complex.

 

Well I guess for those of us who do not necessarily have time to spend days in their parents basement to read graphs and eq their music, but want to actually do a CRAZY thing: buy a pair of iems and listen to music, their is always the possibility of giving money to rich manufacturers. What stupid victims of capitalism we are.

 

Ok now could you guys just quit it, it's not funny anymore.

post #762 of 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

You know, I haven't tried a Meelec Triflange plus Rin's cloth damper combo,that may do the trick...


It does wonders for those peaky highs and loaded upper mid range. Like I said, the sweet spot for me was a dual flange. I snipped the top flange off the Meelectronic tri flange and it kept the high end controlled just enough to keep me happy. YMMV

post #763 of 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

In the end that is all that really matter right? ;). But that doesn't mean others will agree.


Forget about it Lee. This is another psychological phenomenom regarding price that everybody forgets to mention: this product is quite expensive, I cannot reasonably afford, others can, so I have to construct a solid reasoning to convince myself that this product is a rip off and those who buy it are stupid, so as to feel better about myself.

post #764 of 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

 

I can imagine all those mean an rich manufacturers coming at night to take the money from you student allowance...boooooouuuuhhh. I love this vision, so realistic, multi layered an complex.

 

Well I guess for those of us who do not necessarily have time to spend days in their parents basement to read graphs and eq their music, but want to actually do a CRAZY thing: buy a pair of iems and listen to music, their is always the possibility of giving money to rich manufacturers. What stupid victims of capitalism we are.

 

Ok now could you guys just quit it, it's not funny anymore.

+1....

 

merci pour le support Mimouille...ils sont grave ici je te jure....


Edited by sly_in_the_sky - 6/28/13 at 1:26am
post #765 of 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

Your first point really doesn't make much sense at all lol. The same could be said about the people who manufacture our underwear? (should we be making our own underwear as well? ;). Whats the point? I've tried cheaper solutions. Enjoyed some to be honest but nothing has given me the enjoyment that I get from my current IEMs. It has nothing to do with the price tags on them that reflects my enjoyment. It just so happens they also costs more. 

 

In the end that is all that really matter right? ;). But that doesn't mean others will agree.

+1....

 

If you are happy with this, pleas leave the others ant stop trying to convince...WE DONT NEED AN HERO...

 

You are student Inks, so please you and your click, stop and go to school/university, whatever...you must have exams soon.... 


Edited by sly_in_the_sky - 6/28/13 at 1:45am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread