Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread - Page 13

post #181 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

Actually good on ES for doing the modding for free, other companies would probably delay the release of their V2 and after few month release their V2 and probably charge any mods for V1. 

Like who?

post #182 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by delancyst View Post

Like who?

None of them? They will simply bring their revision under a new name. They actually upgraded for you guys for the cost of shipping, I say it is not a bad deal. 

post #183 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

 

So is the V1 packaging white, and the V2 black? I wonder how someone can tell from the box itself... I guess it'd state the impedance characteristics as well on the box. Interestingly, one of the reasons why I like the V1 is also the carry case. It's fun. I actually wrote a little bit about the SM64 here, but I think it's nothing people don't already know.

I just stumble onto your blog.. Impressive and lots of interesting stuff. Good amount of review over there and boy I love them all. I guess I will hanging around your blog every now and then.. My next IEM..

 

The Tralucent 1 plus 2.. 

post #184 of 1258

Some questions for SM64 owners... I´m looking at buying a BA-based IEM to complement my IE800 and currently my "products of interest" are the EarSonics SM64, Fischer Amps FA3E-XB and Logitech UE900. The Fischer Amps IEM is interesting, but seems to be a complete mystery at this point. UE900 on the other hand is quite expensive and has horrible build quality. EarSonics on the other hand I know isn´t exactly famous for build quality either, but it should be a little better at least... Or in other words I don´t think it´s possible to do it worse than Logitech does on the UE range :)

 

But as for the actual questions:

 

(1) Is there an earwax protector grill inside the nozzle on the SM64? If there´s one, how easy is it to clean it, in particular is it possible to remove it in order to get to the other side? In my experience IEMs will at some point clog up and if the grill isn´t removable it´ll eventually be a problem as when you´re cleaning the grill it´s easy to accidentally push the earwax inside... 

 

(2) Which Comply tips are compatible with the SM64? The EarSonics site only talks about SM3 and the Super Mario 64 isn´t listed on the Comply site either :)

 

(3) Has anyone tried the new EarSonics portable amp AMP911? Seems interesting, but very expensive.

post #185 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrln View Post

Some questions for SM64 owners... I´m looking at buying a BA-based IEM to complement my IE800 and currently my "products of interest" are the EarSonics SM64, Fischer Amps FA3E-XB and Logitech UE900. The Fischer Amps IEM is interesting, but seems to be a complete mystery at this point. UE900 on the other hand is quite expensive and has horrible build quality. EarSonics on the other hand I know isn´t exactly famous for build quality either, but it should be a little better at least... Or in other words I don´t think it´s possible to do it worse than Logitech does on the UE range :)

 

But as for the actual questions:

 

(1) Is there an earwax protector grill inside the nozzle on the SM64? If there´s one, how easy is it to clean it, in particular is it possible to remove it in order to get to the other side? In my experience IEMs will at some point clog up and if the grill isn´t removable it´ll eventually be a problem as when you´re cleaning the grill it´s easy to accidentally push the earwax inside... 

 

(2) Which Comply tips are compatible with the SM64? The EarSonics site only talks about SM3 and the Super Mario 64 isn´t listed on the Comply site either :)

 

(3) Has anyone tried the new EarSonics portable amp AMP911? Seems interesting, but very expensive.

They take the "P" series comply foams. Really their dual flange are just fine. Same filter as a Westone/Shure/Etymotic type product so no screen. I've never had a problem with them clogging, but I suppose the etymotic tool to switch filters would work. Buy a Comply product with the filter built in if it's a real problem. Just using my Cmoy or cheapo fiio amps with them at present, though an iPhone seems to drive them just fine. Definitely take more juice than an SM3. About the same as a Tf10, and I expect the W4.

post #186 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post


I know what you are going through...first victim of my cats was an AKG 601. After that the killing spree went on with my crappy old headset, some cheap sony in-ears and the USB cable of my Galaxy S3.
I just wait for the day when they start coughing up copper/plastic balls instead of hairballs :/

I also have to look into this pink noise thread...sounds interesting.

My cat bit my IE8 cord in two! Removable cords are extremely important to us cat owners :) As for the topic, been following this thread avidly. I´m looking forward to getting another top tier IEM to complement my Sennheiser IE800 (which is awesome, but not exactly the most balanced presentation out there). It has to have a removable cord as you can imagine I am not very fond of using the IE800 around mr. Cat. Currently completely torn between EX1000, W4R and SM64....Recently discarded UE900 out of the picture because of the various build quality issues. Currently I´m leaning towards either EX1000 and SM64 as the W4R seem to have a less neutral sound signature that I already have (most likely in a better form) in the IE800.

 

TheMarkRemains: Thanks! 


Edited by vrln - 3/18/13 at 4:25am
post #187 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post

After much testing back and forth with th900. I decided the v1 is right for me. v2 mid bass is just too much for me. v1 bass resemble more th900 than v2. since I am a treble head, I love the v1 sparkling high and sub bass. You may have different taste than me.

 

Nice review Audiowood !

And now i am on the fence whether i should keep my v1 or swap it with v2 confused.gif But somehow i just feel like v1 will be more suitable with my ak100+Alo International. This combo needs a bit of sparkling to make it more lively. Otherwise is too mellow and sometimes sounds like a bit veiled ( i tried with shure 535LE and sm3v2).

post #188 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post

Thanks. I think the majority out there still has the v1 and I know jaben singapore still has it. The v1 will become very rare pretty soon as they being replaced with v2. I am keeping my v1 for sure.. 

Very nice review Audiowood 

after reading your review , I think I will keep and stay with sm 64 v1 ,because I like my v1 

And I love detail and open rather than v2 tame high .


Edited by rudi0504 - 4/1/13 at 3:36pm
post #189 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzic4life View Post

 

Nice review Audiowood !

And now i am on the fence whether i should keep my v1 or swap it with v2 confused.gif But somehow i just feel like v1 will be more suitable with my ak100+Alo International. This combo needs a bit of sparkling to make it more lively. Otherwise is too mellow and sometimes sounds like a bit veiled ( i tried with shure 535LE and sm3v2).

Sure thanks!

 

If you like the V1 already, I suggest you keep it as they don't make them anymore. If you swap and regret, you will have a hard time getting the V1 back. The V1 is really fine and unique for what it does, its more of a EX1000 type than TG334, the relax airy type. The V2 is moving towards the TG334 path, a darker and smoother presentation that is a little forward.

 

To get some perspective on relative terms, here's how I see (in general) and IMO;

 

If you like the Sony EX1000, and love the Denon D5/7000, then V1 is the one for you. Bass as deep as you want to go (almost as deep as TH900 - 90% there) it lacks the final deep bass bounce of the Denon line, incredible sound stage (2nd only to Ex1000 - 95% there) with very nice sparkle at the top. This kind of tonality will have a slight recess in the mid (similar to Denon and TH900), if you can get pass that, then the V1 is the one for you. The TH900 is the ultimate reference for this kind of sound.

 

If you like the Shure 535 and TG334, then V2 is your kind of IEM. The V2 has much more bass than Shure 535 and quantity almost at the level of TG334 though lacking some detail and texture of TG334.It also has more treble energy and wider soundstage than both of these IEM. You must also like the boosted mid bass than sub bass, then you will like the V2. The HD650 and LCD-3 is the ultimate reference for this kind of sound.

 

I also think if you put on comply foam, the brightness will probably be on par with V2 on silicon tip (V1 still has more treble though), but the bass is a different story altogether.

 

EDIT - The above differences is more like an audiophile difference, which means both v1 and v2 still share the same sound signature, I just did a zoom in differences to get a clearer pespective.


Edited by Audiowood - 3/18/13 at 10:26am
post #190 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post

Very nice review Audiowood 

after reading your review , I think I will keep and stay witn sm 64 v1 ,because I like my v1 

And I love detail and open rather than v2 time high .

 

Thanks !

 

same here.. we probably have the same taste - Cheers.

post #191 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post  I just stumble onto your blog.. Impressive and lots of interesting stuff. Good amount of review over there and boy I love them all. I guess I will hanging around your blog every now and then.. My next IEM..  The Tralucent 1 plus 2.. 

 

Thanks; it's actually not merely my own blog; there will be others writing on there too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrln View Post

(1) Is there an earwax protector grill inside the nozzle on the SM64? If there´s one, how easy is it to clean it, in particular is it possible to remove it in order to get to the other side? In my experience IEMs will at some point clog up and if the grill isn´t removable it´ll eventually be a problem as when you´re cleaning the grill it´s easy to accidentally push the earwax inside... 

 

Just a word of clarification: the "earwax protector grill" isn't actually supposed to protect things from earwax --- it's an acoustic damper designed to smooth out strong peaks in the frequency response. While these dampers are readily purchasable from places like Mouser, Digikey, or Westone Labs, you need to make sure you purchase the right value of acoustic impedance (color-coded), which can range from 330 ohms (grey) to 4700 ohms (yellow). I believe the one installed in the SM64 is the 680 ohm (white) version, but I'm not sure. When you replace them, the replacement tools that Etymotic (ER38-45 or ER13DS) have work well because most of these dampers are merely held in place with tension, but some may be held in place by small plastic bumps in the sound tube, so owners of the SM64 will have to verify for you. More than likely, however, it's held in place by tension. When replacing the damper, inserting it in a different position from before will amount to minor, but measurable changes in the monitor's frequency response. While you'll more than likely not notice, if you're a stickler for preserving the original FR, it's best that you place the damper in place exactly as it was before.

post #192 of 1258

I can honestly say today was THE first day I ever seriously contemplated getting the SM64. I've always believed (partially due to the similar design as much as reviews) that Earsonics, Westone, and Shure only differed slightly in signature emphasis. Since I already own the Shure SE535, I didn't feel the need to make a sideways purchase (that is, until now).

 

Several factors have led to me giving the SM64 a try. The main factor is that I can indeed try it and not be stuck with it if I don't like it. Another factor is the gushing here and comparisons to the TG334. I want the TG334 and I can afford it. I just don't want to participate in another consumer unfriendly circumstance (like with the Headstage Arrow incident). Plus, the TG334 and Tralucent 1Plus2 appear to be large bodied IEMs with large nozzle diameters. I have such smallish oddly shaped ears. I don't want to spend $1400 to find out I can't get a good fit/seal and then become a salesperson trying to get rid of it.

 

As for my other top contenders, I can only wait. The Heir 5.0 is another IEM I would have to feel comfortable enough to pull the trigger on because there's no going back (no returns). I like the idea that Aurisonics is 200 miles from me, but I'm still waiting on the ASG-2 to show up on their website and be reviewed here.

 

Still another factor that drew me to the SM64 is that the nozzle appears to be the same diameter as the Shures and I have dozens of brand new triple-flange tips. I wear them 11 straight hours a day at work with no problem whatsoever. I get a good seal and I can eat with them on. I won't even open the package of Earsonics tips.

 

So I bought the SM64 today and received an email with a tracking number a few hours later that stated that FedEx would deliver the earphone in 2 days. The package has already left Ohio and is currently in Kentucky (one state north of me).  The only purchase that was easier was the UE900 (which was a few miles away at the Apple Store). So bravo, Earsonics, on your consumer friendly logistics.

 

I don't know if I'm going to like the SM64 but I do know that this is how I like to do business (order it and expect it at my doorstep a few days later).smile.gif


Edited by truckdriver - 3/18/13 at 8:36pm
post #193 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post

Sure thanks!

If you like the V1 already, I suggest you keep it as they don't make them anymore. If you swap and regret, you will have a hard time getting the V1 back. The V1 is really fine and unique for what it does, its more of a EX1000 type than TG334, the relax airy type. The V2 is moving towards the TG334 path, a darker and smoother presentation that is a little forward.

To get some perspective on relative terms, here's how I see (in general) and IMO;

If you like the Sony EX1000, and love the Denon D5/7000, then V1 is the one for you. Bass as deep as you want to go (almost as deep as TH900 - 90% there) it lacks the final deep bass bounce of the Denon line, incredible sound stage (2nd only to Ex1000 - 95% there) with very nice sparkle at the top. This kind of tonality will have a slight recess in the mid (similar to Denon and TH900), if you can get pass that, then the V1 is the one for you. The TH900 is the ultimate reference for this kind of sound.

If you like the Shure 535 and TG334, then V2 is your kind of IEM. The V2 has much more bass than Shure 535 and quantity almost at the level of TG334 though lacking some detail and texture of TG334.It also has more treble energy and wider soundstage than both of these IEM. You must also like the boosted mid bass than sub bass, then you will like the V2. The HD650 and LCD-3 is the ultimate reference for this kind of sound.

I also think if you put on comply foam, the brightness will probably be on par with V2 on silicon tip (V1 still has more treble though), but the bass is a different story altogether.

EDIT - The above differences is more like an audiophile difference, which means both v1 and v2 still share the same sound signature, I just did a zoom in differences to get a clearer pespective.

Thanks a lot audiowood. Very good detail explanations !

I think i would consider v2 more...as i love the sound from my hd650 so much. smily_headphones1.gif
post #194 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

Just a word of clarification: the "earwax protector grill" isn't actually supposed to protect things from earwax --- it's an acoustic damper designed to smooth out strong peaks in the frequency response. While these dampers are readily purchasable from places like Mouser, Digikey, or Westone Labs, you need to make sure you purchase the right value of acoustic impedance (color-coded), which can range from 330 ohms (grey) to 4700 ohms (yellow). I believe the one installed in the SM64 is the 680 ohm (white) version, but I'm not sure. When you replace them, the replacement tools that Etymotic (ER38-45 or ER13DS) have work well because most of these dampers are merely held in place with tension, but some may be held in place by small plastic bumps in the sound tube, so owners of the SM64 will have to verify for you. More than likely, however, it's held in place by tension. When replacing the damper, inserting it in a different position from before will amount to minor, but measurable changes in the monitor's frequency response. While you'll more than likely not notice, if you're a stickler for preserving the original FR, it's best that you place the damper in place exactly as it was before.

 

Good to know, thanks. I´ve narrowed my "IEM´s of interest" to EX1000 and SM64. What pushes me towards EX1000 is that they won´t be available for long anymore and I´d like to have a neutral reference, but SM64 looks like an IEM I´d honestly use a lot more so I´m still very torn between the two. 

post #195 of 1258

Has anyone actually noticed this....

 

Looks like my left shell has small cracking inside. I saw Audiowood picture also seems has this problem.

 

My sm64 (left shell with red mark)

 

 

From Audiowood picture (sorry for double posting)

 

 

I hope is not cracking like problem.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread