Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread - Page 76

post #1126 of 1294
If you liked the SM64 better than the W3,I would definitely stay away from the W4 line. I have had the W4 and there's no comparison in treble. W4 being a lot darker and veiled than the SM64.
post #1127 of 1294

Thanks for the input!  Now I just gotta hope the pfe122s they included in my purchase tide me over.  Slightly off topic but the phonak's have remarkable build quality... Earsonics should hire phonak to make their housings

post #1128 of 1294
Once my SM64s arrived the W4s never saw the light of day.

Try the Phonak tips with the 64s. The larger bore improved the soundstage further and they give a easy seal and comfortable fit.
post #1129 of 1294

Okay so an update:

 

Called earphonesolutions and talked to Adrianna, I think, yesterday.  And just like that a new pair were on my doorsteps today.  So just a quick shoutout to earphonesolutions for having absolutely amazing customer service.  My future purchases will be partially dictated by what they stock lol.

 

Got the new pair in and they had no bass issues.  Bass is now enveloping and strong bilaterally.  However, it seemed like the mids were slightly sucked out and masked now...  So I started messing around with the drivers (I still had the old pair) and mixing and matching them.  

 

The defective right driver matched with any of the lefts produced missing bass but clear mids and highs (probably as the right bass was gone).  But curiously, the new right seemed to match better with the old left.  The masked mids were made clear and the sound was just cleaner (vague I know).  I thought I was going crazy so I listened to 4 songs (Dig for fire by Pixies, Born to die by Lana del Rey, Primetime by Janelle Monae, and Hello Dolly by Louis Armstrong) while alternating left earpieces.  Everytime the old left earpiece plus the new right sounded cleaner, clearer, and the mids were better spacially placed.

 

So I inspected all the earpieces and noticed that there seems to be excess glue or something on the black plastic boxes (is that one of the BA drivers?) in both the defective right earpiece and the left earpiece that didn't sound as good with the non-defective right earpiece.  (i've attached a picture: earpieces on the bottom/not attached to wire are the defective right and weird sounding left)

Is it possible that that is the cause of the issues?  Or am I going crazy? 

 

Otherwise the earpieces that 'work' sound phenomenal and as I'm getting to spend more time with them they just seem to get better.  The process to get these working has been a bit frustrating though and I would hope that earsonics starts addressing these issues.  I'm not trying to bash earsonics by any means though as they did manage to get the most important thing, the sound, right... really right.

 

Anywho just wanted to share my story.  So thanks for listening!

post #1130 of 1294

I just received my SM64s tonight. I have been struggling with getting them to fit well.

 

with the large foamies i can get a decent seal and good bass, holding them just right helps also. with the dual flange tips, I can get better highs, but not the seal for the bass. been at his most of the night and my ears are pretty sore from moving these around, holding them at different angles etc.

 

without bending the cables at all, they point forward. I guess no right and wrong on this, whatever fits.

 

I will want to wrap them over the ears, it's fine to bend these as needed?

 

i found a bag of tips - comply t400, sony etc. and all too big for these. I usually don't care for foam tips and the only other ones they included were 2 sets of the *same* size dual flange?

 

normal to have no lip for the tips to snap into?

 

sounds like i need to go tip shopping soon.

 

any tip recommendations would be very helpful. thanks!

post #1131 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post
 

I just received my SM64s tonight. I have been struggling with getting them to fit well.

 

with the large foamies i can get a decent seal and good bass, holding them just right helps also. with the dual flange tips, I can get better highs, but not the seal for the bass. been at his most of the night and my ears are pretty sore from moving these around, holding them at different angles etc.

 

without bending the cables at all, they point forward. I guess no right and wrong on this, whatever fits.

 

I will want to wrap them over the ears, it's fine to bend these as needed?

 

i found a bag of tips - comply t400, sony etc. and all too big for these. I usually don't care for foam tips and the only other ones they included were 2 sets of the *same* size dual flange?

 

normal to have no lip for the tips to snap into?

 

sounds like i need to go tip shopping soon.

 

any tip recommendations would be very helpful. thanks!


I hope I can help you so you can enjoy the sound and fiddle a lot less with them. The tips i found that work the best FOR ME are the Comply P100 and the Westone Star tips. P100 provide great seal and give a more full sound, Star tips give a good seal and provide a more open sound. I find my self fine with either for any circumstance.  You say the cables point forward?  You have to bend the wire guide from the front of your ear to the back of your ear(look at the picture in the above post to see how they bend). It wraps around and the cable goes behind your ear. The tips slide onto the post to the point where the post flares out a bit.


Edited by subguy812 - 4/26/14 at 12:00am
post #1132 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrising98 View Post
 

Okay so an update:

 

Called earphonesolutions and talked to Adrianna, I think, yesterday.  And just like that a new pair were on my doorsteps today.  So just a quick shoutout to earphonesolutions for having absolutely amazing customer service.  My future purchases will be partially dictated by what they stock lol.

 

Got the new pair in and they had no bass issues.  Bass is now enveloping and strong bilaterally.  However, it seemed like the mids were slightly sucked out and masked now...  So I started messing around with the drivers (I still had the old pair) and mixing and matching them.  

 

The defective right driver matched with any of the lefts produced missing bass but clear mids and highs (probably as the right bass was gone).  But curiously, the new right seemed to match better with the old left.  The masked mids were made clear and the sound was just cleaner (vague I know).  I thought I was going crazy so I listened to 4 songs (Dig for fire by Pixies, Born to die by Lana del Rey, Primetime by Janelle Monae, and Hello Dolly by Louis Armstrong) while alternating left earpieces.  Everytime the old left earpiece plus the new right sounded cleaner, clearer, and the mids were better spacially placed.

 

So I inspected all the earpieces and noticed that there seems to be excess glue or something on the black plastic boxes (is that one of the BA drivers?) in both the defective right earpiece and the left earpiece that didn't sound as good with the non-defective right earpiece.  (i've attached a picture: earpieces on the bottom/not attached to wire are the defective right and weird sounding left)

Is it possible that that is the cause of the issues?  Or am I going crazy? 

 

Otherwise the earpieces that 'work' sound phenomenal and as I'm getting to spend more time with them they just seem to get better.  The process to get these working has been a bit frustrating though and I would hope that earsonics starts addressing these issues.  I'm not trying to bash earsonics by any means though as they did manage to get the most important thing, the sound, right... really right.

 

Anywho just wanted to share my story.  So thanks for listening!


Same for me...I always seem to have a a little drama leading up to satisfaction. Hopefully you can spend some time listening and just enjoying. Overall an excellent IEM. I have been expanding my over ear can quest recently as I have leveled out my search for IEM's.  I am sure this part of my habit will ratchet up again but the SM64 have me satisfied.

post #1133 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by subguy812 View Post
 


I hope I can help you so you can enjoy the sound and fiddle a lot less with them. The tips i found that work the best FOR ME are the Comply P100 and the Westone Star tips. P100 provide great seal and give a more full sound, Star tips give a good seal and provide a more open sound. I find my self fine with either for any circumstance.  You say the cables point forward?  You have to bend the wire guide from the front of your ear to the back of your ear(look at the picture in the above post to see how they bend). It wraps around and the cable goes behind your ear. The tips slide onto the post to the point where the post flares out a bit.

 

all of these will fit the small shaft on the SM64? might as well try a few sizes.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Westone-TRUE-FIT-STAR-Combo-Audiophile/dp/B00DD2BZRY/

 

I will also try the Comply P100.

 

they really just don't seem to fit me very well. I put in my old UE 5 pro things and they just plug in and work no fuss. nothing like the sound of these tho.

 

i have tried a friends westone 4s and they do seem to fit better, although he uses larger silicone tips. the tips are interchangeable on westone and earsonics?

 

thanks for the help.

post #1134 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post

I just received my SM64s tonight. I have been struggling with getting them to fit well.

I will want to wrap them over the ears, it's fine to bend these as needed?

any tip recommendations would be very helpful. thanks!

I had similar problems with the stock tips, too.

Bend away on the memory wire, that's what it's for.

Get the Phonack Audeo Silicone tips. Large should do the trick if the stock double flange are a bit too small to seal well. Search this thread for my earlier posts - I went into my tip trials in detail. But they are comfortable, seal easy and give great sound.
post #1135 of 1294
I found Earsonic, Westone, and Phonack also to be interchangeable for all 3 companies iems-I have one of each (actually 3 Westones, W3, W4, and a loaner of W40 at home). I find iem's with a chanber or body, like Westone/Earsonic, do need fiddling in my ears to get a good fit and seal, generally have an easier time with straight tube iems as far as fit (Heaven V, Doppio, Etys, etc). These seem to be modeled after hearing aids to get a fit in the pinna space, but I don't think everyone has exactly the same size space there, so you have to fiddle. In the Westones, the W4 pops right in to that space, the W40 is bigger, and more of a struggle to get seated properly. Find the Earsonic to be closer to the W4 in that way. I do feel like the mids are slightly recessed in my short time with them, maybe I still need to play with tips, very enjoyable, though
post #1136 of 1294
For tips i found that if you pull out the core on westone foams you can use those to adapt larger bore tips. I'm using some tips from a meelec m6 that way right now. Phonak tips are great too.
post #1137 of 1294

For anyone interested, this cheap cable from Luna Shops arrived this week and it'll be an excellent backup!

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261400258237?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

 

No microphonics, great build quality, good length, heavy duty nylon sleeving. All for under $20.

post #1138 of 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

For anyone interested, this cheap cable from Luna Shops arrived this week and it'll be an excellent backup!

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261400258237?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

 

No microphonics, great build quality, good length, heavy duty nylon sleeving. All for under $20.


I noticed in your signature you were waiting for an X5. Just an FYI for you the X3 just had a beta FW release and the SQ is improved and it is using the X5 interface. Go check out the thread, may be a good solution for you and save you some $$. I am loving it!

post #1139 of 1294

just put the Westone star tips on. the included tips are useless. I bought assorted and the largest ones fit well.

 

really enjoying the sound, a bit more sparkle in the highs would be perfect. just a hair dark sounding, and i do mean a hair. still great! they do bass when called on.

 

waiting on the Phonak silicone tips, could be the missing link.

 

you guys were right!

post #1140 of 1294
Be sure to post your thoughts on the Phonak tips when you get them, as I''ve wanted to see others impressions for a while now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread