Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread - Page 8

post #106 of 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post

We're did you get your Star Tips from?

Oh and congrats on your purchase!

I cheated. I bought several Westone IEMs that came with Star tips. Since my ears aren't the same size (left-large, right-medium), I get an extra pair of Star tips with each IEM. I have so far used them on Shure and Earsonics IEMs with great success. The only IEM that I have where they fit but don't quite work right is the Atrio Pro (MG7). When Westone finally starts to sell them, I'll buy a few more sets.

post #107 of 1206
I am just the opposite of you,
Me left medium right large.
Always have to buy two pairs of tips coz sellers can't let me hv one large one medium at one time.
I tried:
Comply, great but needs replacement every month
Moster gel, not quite compressible or difficult to squeeze into my ear canals.

Triple or double flanges never work to me

Now I am using westone opaque silicon tips.
I got um3x and w4r so I got two sets.

The best fit so far is the mushroom tips from Etymotic... But the holes are too large for sm64 to insert into.

Wish to try the star tips....
Damn hard to find a pair of perfect tips but thanks for your sharing anyway.

Btw, my ear shape is pretty weird any earbud can never hold tight at all on the opening of my ear canals, recall 15yrs ago I was a college kid and iem were not popular in HK, I always had to use KOSS on ear or clip on only... Damn
Edited by jackrabbitslim0 - 2/26/13 at 12:32pm
post #108 of 1206
del
Edited by jackrabbitslim0 - 2/26/13 at 12:32pm
post #109 of 1206
.
post #110 of 1206
Nevermind then :-P

As for now, I get almost perfect seal with the stock bi-flanges. :-)
post #111 of 1206

I also like the stock tips. They seal so well that it's difficult pulling them out afterwards! Worried my eardrums might come out with them! tongue_smile.gif
 

post #112 of 1206

my payment didnt go through, i just wait till jaben australia is carrying them, darn it. O well went with SM64, I will buy this for sure in near future. 


Edited by audionewbi - 2/27/13 at 6:33am
post #113 of 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by feverfive View Post

Has anyone tried replacement cables yet?  I'm considering it...mostly due to the y-split being so high-up (I almost feel choked at times).  I won't go crazy, since I'm not a huge cable believer (not trying to start anything here), but I'd like a nicely-built cable.  I know there are reasonable options out there.  Couple questions:

 

--is the connector type for the SM64 the same as that for Westone 4's

--how much force does it take to remove the stock cables?  I kinda/sorta pulled on my connectors earlier to see how secure they are, and they seemed awfully snug.  As in, requiring the use of small pliers to remove them snug, thus ruining the connector in the process, which I don't want to do.

Yes I did 

 

the connectors from westone , um miracle , tralucent 1+2 and Jh 16 are the same .

now I use the twag / Twcu hybrid cable from whiplash 

 

eartips : for better bass impact I use Shure silicone eartips 

 

 

 

 

 

 

i have my sm 64 first batch 112 ohm .
i love the first batch , because I use sm 64 mostly with amp
 

 

the sound quality improve  significantly .


Edited by rudi0504 - 2/27/13 at 6:28am
post #114 of 1206

how do they compare against EX1000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post

Yes I did 

 

the connectors from westone , um miracle , tralucent 1+2 and Jh 16 are the same .

now I use the twag / Twcu hybrid cable from whiplash 

 

eartips : for better bass impact I use Shure silicone eartips 

 

 

 

 

 

 

i have my sm 64 first batch 112 ohm .
i love the first batch , because I use sm 64 mostly with amp
 

 

the sound quality improve  significantly .

post #115 of 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by feverfive View Post

Has anyone tried replacement cables yet?  I'm considering it...mostly due to the y-split being so high-up (I almost feel choked at times).  I won't go crazy, since I'm not a huge cable believer (not trying to start anything here), but I'd like a nicely-built cable.  I know there are reasonable options out there.  Couple questions:

 

--is the connector type for the SM64 the same as that for Westone 4's

--how much force does it take to remove the stock cables?  I kinda/sorta pulled on my connectors earlier to see how secure they are, and they seemed awfully snug.  As in, requiring the use of small pliers to remove them snug, thus ruining the connector in the process, which I don't want to do.

Yes I did 

 

the connectors from westone , um miracle , tralucent 1+2 and Jh 16 are the same .

now I use the twag / Twcu hybrid cable from whiplash 

 

eartips : for better bass impact I use Shure silicone eartips 

 

 

 

 

 

 

i have my sm 64 first batch 112 ohm .
i love the first batch , because I use sm 64 mostly with amp
 

 

the sound quality improve  significantly .


Thanks Rudi...  Do the Shure soft silicones fit onto the stem snugly?  I actually have some of those on the way to me.  I really wish the Westone Star tips were being sold right now, because I htink those will fit onto the relatively narrow stem of the SM64's w/out using the core of a Comply tip.

 

Did you find removing the stock cable to be difficult?  I don't want to ruin the connector.  They seem to be really tightly connected.

post #116 of 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

how do they compare against EX1000?

I just done the comparison between Sony EX 1000 vs SM 64

 

these two are very good iem in $ 500 usd price range 

 

source : dap Hisound Studio V 3 rd Edition 

iems : Sm 64

           Ex 1000

 

high : sm 64 is slightly brighter but not harsh 

mid : ex 1000 more forward and more thicker mid , a bit sibilance on ex 1000

Bass : ex 1000 more deep and better impact because of dynamic driver 

           Sm 64 Bass impact is very good too for BA driver .

separation : both has very good separation , sm 64 has slightly better separation 

soundstage : ex 1000 slightly wider soundstage than sm 64

clarity : sm 64 slightly better clarity  than ex 1000.

Conclusion :

this comparison is very difficult , because every iem has their good and bad 

for long term use I prefer sm 64 , SQ more sweet to my ears ,

ex 1000 has better bass impact and mid a bit sibilance 

 

this is my IMO 

post #117 of 1206
I end up using the glider tips of etymotic.
Seal is perfect.

Btw,
I changed the stock cable to zephone silver dragon mkii.

Soundstage doesnt change much yet.
The bass does become more bouncy and obvious.
Highs seem to extend more without any harsh edge.
Mids are still very smooth.

Need more time to feel the improvement.
I feel there is at least 20% improved.
With higher resolution and dynamic.

The cable is difficult to be detached.
I used tape to wrap the tips of cable,
Then have to use a clamp to pull them out 1mm each time without bending or exerting force on the pins.
Inserting the new cable is also very hard to do,
1mm by 1mm.....
Then i use Pritt Multifix (like clay) to fill the narrow neck of the connection among cable n the iem housing as stress relief.

So be very very careful, tools are needed to do the job.
post #118 of 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by feverfive View Post


Thanks Rudi...  Do the Shure soft silicones fit onto the stem snugly?  I actually have some of those on the way to me.  I really wish the Westone Star tips were being sold right now, because I htink those will fit onto the relatively narrow stem of the SM64's w/out using the core of a Comply tip.

 

Did you find removing the stock cable to be difficult?  I don't want to ruin the connector.  They seem to be really tightly connected.

You are welcome 

where can you buy your westone star tips Look like similar to shure olive tips ?

 

you must pull slowly , for the first time is very tight , please don't pull the pin holder  with left and right movement , because can damage the thin pin from the cable .


Edited by rudi0504 - 2/27/13 at 9:21am
post #119 of 1206

I just ordered some Star tips from Westone. See post# 110 for details on how-to:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636138/will-this-be-called-the-westone-epic-tip/105

post #120 of 1206

After owning for a week and listening to it unamp every day, I finally get a chance to plug into the Zana Duex SE. .. and boy, it respond really well to amping. Soundstage is incredibly huge, the vocal improved a great deal with tubes amp, I would say this is an IEM that would easily match full size open headphones. I compared to the Hd650 for fun and sm64 sound stage is wider, more bass impact and deeper, more airy and extend higher on both end but vocal on hd650 is more romantic and forward IMO, i guess this is the only setback for sm64. that being said the tube amp helps push the vocal of sm64 to a higher level than  without amping. That being said, i dont sm64 mid lacking in any way (with amp). Anyway I highly recommend amping on sm64.

 

Also tested on a plane for 18hrs and it isolate as well as shure 535 (which has one of the best isolation). I used the supplied foam tip (similar to comply foams but longer) and since the foam will suck up a little bit of treble energy, it doesn't sound muffle or veil in any way as It has enough treble energy to compensate for it. I think the olive silicon tip from shure sounded best to me, 

 

 More impression coming as I burn it in more, but so far this is one heck of a very good iem. I really think it should be priced at $700 and more...


Edited by Audiowood - 3/3/13 at 1:19am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread