Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions and Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Earsonics SM64: The Impressions and Appreciation Thread - Page 55

post #811 of 1119
DigitalFreak-
 
 Ok no harm, no foul and no offense, taken, I just wanted to clarify a difference in definition that I thought was settled. I will filter your responses then with neutral replacing your term audiophile. I then can communicate the same language. If I didn't make myself clear the term "neutral" can also mean different things to different people depending upon the point of reference. Etymotics don't sound neutral (audiophile) to me, they sound analytical. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just my reference point. My hearing is far from ideal, without the boosted bass in the lower registers I cannot hear it. 

 

I'm not offended by the "fun" term, although it tends to take away in some people's minds from detail and true sound. I don't think these do. They are warmer (considerably even) than an Etymotic product, but not really more than the W4. Is the W4 fun ? I thought the W3 was a "fun" phone by definition due to it's more "V" signature. So again it's what the writer's definition of the term is. 

 

The SM64 takes away a lot of the thickness in mids that I believe (some) people disliked about the SM3. They extend better both directions. They aren't sibilant. They produce really low bass tones. They make vocals come alive. 

 

Are they perfect for all people? Nope. Are they an improvement if you like Shure/Westone/Earsonics signatures? Yes.

 

They still have that crazy behind you sound signature too. Weird.

 

Whatever, my point is it's all a terminology difference (which I believe was also your point). I'm more comfortable with the terms neutral/mid-focused/bass-heavy/detail-focused(analytical). Heck even the "warm-sweet" terms get confusing.I've never used the term 'audiophile' to classify any headphone (other than referring to high end audio). Audiophile is by definition a hi-fi enthusiast. Textbook definition. I'm not making that up. If they mean neutral, they should use that term. 

 

Neutral headphones don't necessarily sound 'correct' to my hearing. They sound bass-light,despite the nice focus on detail that results. Maybe my hearing is crap, I'll accept that.The SM64 sound more "live"  or full speaker sound than I've heard in an IEM before. I would not label that non-audiophile. We are all audiophiles or we would not be here.

post #812 of 1119
To me, the SM64 sound very musical.

That is a good thing if you are listening to music, right?
post #813 of 1119

+1....!!!!

post #814 of 1119
Hey guys, I need some advice from you all... I'm using sm64 v2,the one with 98ohms... Is it advisable for me to change my 3.5mm connector to a balanced connector? Cos I just bought a mk3b+ amp, so I'm contemplating whether to go balanced
post #815 of 1119

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a balanced cable? 

post #816 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkRemains View Post

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a balanced cable? 


cos' i already have a single ended cable, and it makes more sense to change the connector instead of the whole cable right? But my question is whether it is good to change to a balanced connector? Or just stay with SE?

post #817 of 1119

My article on the SM64 went live today on CYMBACAVUM. I hope you all enjoy the read. It was a fun listen for me and I'm still loving the fact that I'm bopping along to my music with the SM64.

 

Cheers guys, it's been a good time on the thread.

beerchug.gif

post #818 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

My article on the SM64 went live today on CYMBACAVUM. I hope you all enjoy the read. It was a fun listen for me and I'm still loving the fact that I'm bopping along to my music with the SM64.

Cheers guys, it's been a good time on the thread.
beerchug.gif

Can't find the article when I clicked on this link
post #819 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

My article on the SM64 went live today on CYMBACAVUM. I hope you all enjoy the read. It was a fun listen for me and I'm still loving the fact that I'm bopping along to my music with the SM64.

 

Cheers guys, it's been a good time on the thread.

beerchug.gif

Cheers!

Congrats on the article, unfortunately the link isn't working. Glad you're enjoying these, I sure am.

post #820 of 1119

http://cymbacavum.com/2013/07/13/more-on-the-earsonics-sm64/

 

I think that's the page you meant

post #821 of 1119
Yea, I just found it also...nice read smily_headphones1.gif
post #822 of 1119

Sorry about the link guys my browsers been acting funny lately. Copy not always working, paste not always working, windows taking forever to open, video plugins crashing more and more. I think it may be time to migrate away from FireFox

post #823 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Sorry about the link guys my browsers been acting funny lately. Copy not always working, paste not always working, windows taking forever to open, video plugins crashing more and more. I think it may be time to migrate away from FireFox

 

Could be you have a virus or some sort of hardware problem DigitalFreak. Although I've had issues with firefox freezing on me before and having to end the process (not sure if its headfi or not though). But most recently there was issues with my registry and I had to do a system mage restore. All is back to normal after that. Was even having issues with my printer at that point. Gotta love PC. :)

post #824 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

Could be you have a virus or some sort of hardware problem DigitalFreak. Although I've had issues with firefox freezing on me before and having to end the process (not sure if its headfi or not though). But most recently there was issues with my registry and I had to do a system mage restore. All is back to normal after that. Was even having issues with my printer at that point. Gotta love PC. :)


Well, internet explorer seems to be working fine as well as everything else. I did a series of virus scans using 3 or 4 scanners and came up clean. I also did a couple of scans for adware/malware and came up clean. As for the hardware, dunno, laptops been smooth except when I use Firefox. On a side note, now that you mention it it does mostly happen on Head-Fi. Most of the other sites I surf it does seem to run smoother. I'm going to try and reinstall FireFox the next time I'm off and reconfigure some of it's plug ins. All this started a few days ago when I updated the browser.

post #825 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


Well, internet explorer seems to be working fine as well as everything else. I did a series of virus scans using 3 or 4 scanners and came up clean. I also did a couple of scans for adware/malware and came up clean. As for the hardware, dunno, laptops been smooth except when I use Firefox. On a side note, now that you mention it it does mostly happen on Head-Fi. Most of the other sites I surf it does seem to run smoother. I'm going to try and reinstall FireFox the next time I'm off and reconfigure some of it's plug ins. All this started a few days ago when I updated the browser.

 

Yeah I've noticed Firefox tends to get really big (like over 300 MBS) and then it becomes unresponsive on headfi. In that case I force the process close and then restart Firefox and it will reload the page again without losing your data. Its a PITA at times but I do enjoy Firefox's interface the most. Google and Internet explorer feel retarded to me :P.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions and Appreciation Thread