How do these two compare against the O2/ODAC, particularly for the LCD-2.2?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Head Fi's Favourite Amp for the Audeze LCD 2: $200-$1000 [POLL] Last post on 8/4/15 at 6:00pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Support Recommendations: Woo Audio WA7 and WA7d Fireflies and USB 3.0 on Macs running OS X 10.9... Last post on 6/14/15 at 3:02pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Woo Audio: NEW! WA7tp (tube PSU) Early-bird offer Last post on 12/26/14 at 7:57am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- New WA7d Fireflies with Two Digital Inputs Last post on 12/23/14 at 6:33pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Choosing between 4 amp/dac Last post on 2/9/14 at 5:26am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 6/26/15
The Rockmaster IE is a new offering from Encore that explores crowdfunding as a way to produce high quality yet low priced items. They can do this by selecting OEM manufacturers and customizing the...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
A Tale of Two Tube Amps - The Woo Audio WA7 and ALO Audio PanAm - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:
It's more musically engaging. While the O2 has an uncanny clarity, I'd prefer to listen for longer with the WA7. For want of a better description, the O2 trades off dynamics for low noise. Drums, for example, have more impact with better amps (not just the WA7) where with the O2 they sound rather flat. The in-built DAC of the WA7 is a little bit coloured as well, but that is far harder to describe. I didn't have the ODAC here at the same time as the WA7, so I can't compare them.
Sorry for this post does not relate to this topic. Where can I order a good high quality USB power hub such as Aurorasound USB Bus Power Pro? Google it but only saw on Japanese website, besides other USB power hubs brands would you like to recommend? My budget is about $100-$150. Thanks.
I would also be interested in this comparison, especially for a headphone like the LCD-2 and HE-500
I have a few questions that I hope the experts here can help me clarify:
1. The WA7 page on the Woo Audio website says that an umbilical power cord (which i assume is for the external power supply given) but no AC cord is provided. So is it safe to assume that it will work with any generic AC cord (i.e.230V ones) without the possibility of it frying the insides?
2. I've read that the TH600 pairs very well with it. How bout the TH900? (i might have missed that within the threads so i do apologize if i repeated the question)
3. Can anybody give a detailed comparison between the WA7 and the HP-A8? (again, if i missed it i apologize)
Thanks guys. =)
2) Beautiful too. I had both the TH-600 & TH-900 when I demoed the WA7. I own the TH-900 but the WA7 & TH-600 were loaners. This is going back by memory but the WA7 narrowed the gap between the TH-series more so than my HP-A8. I would have considered picking up the WA7 if I didn't have my sites on the Zana Deux.
3) the amp section of the HP-A8 was to me the bigger let-down. The WA7 improved the imaging & dimension of the presentation over the HP-A8. My non-audiophile wife suggested for me to sell my HP-A8 for the WA7 which I was highly tempted.
The DAC of the WA7 didn't wow me as much. It did well but in the end using the AKM DAC from the HP-A8 & WA7 as the amp was a more detailed & engaging combination than just the WA7 on its own. Jack Woo hinted that there may be just an amp-only WA7. If that turned to a reality I think that would be a very nice addition to the Woo family.
Thanks for your help. What do you think about the Audeze LCD 2/3 vs TH600/900 in terms of the synergy with the WA7 and the HP-A8? I'm interested in looking for a more compact solution (relatively to having a separate amp and dac) because it may need to be transferred on occasion. I listen to a whole wide range of genres (rock,pop, jazz, acoustic, classical, electronic you name it I probably have at least a few songs of it) from old days to the current mainstream music but do not particularly enjoy stuff like heavy metal and hip-hop.
Great to hear your wife being supportive of the WA7 though. It usually takes a very good product to impress the non-audiophiles. It's easier to impress those who have the audiophile genes in them but have yet to discover them themselves.
Currawong can speak more about the WA7 synergy however I don't believe he has the TH-6/900 therefore don't know if he can do a direct comparison.
Has anyone tried the WA7 or WA6 with CIEMs? Curious as while there is a impedance switch for both of these amps and they are rated for 8-600ohm headphones, it still might affect the sound signatures of CIEMs.
- A Tale of Two Tube Amps - The Woo Audio WA7 and ALO Audio PanAm
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › SENNHEISER HD650 + 8' Balanced Cable w/ Dual XLR Inputs by SurfCables 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 25th, 2015) 3 minutes ago
- › AKG M220 semi-open studio headphones 3 minutes ago
- › What is the best budget headset for use in a noisy open offices... 5 minutes ago
- › Hello everyone 5 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 5 minutes ago
- › Great All Around Open, Over Ear HP for Under $100 (HD518 vs SHP9500... 6 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 7 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 8 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar... 8 minutes ago
- › Encore RockMaster IE by Armaegis
- › Final Audio Design Heaven VII by AndrewH13
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by HiFiChris
- › Brainwavz Jive by Hisoundfi
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by BloodyPenguin
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by Baycode
- › OPPO HA-2 by ClieOS
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Inearz IE-P650 6xBA driver CIEM by twister6
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2