How do these two compare against the O2/ODAC, particularly for the LCD-2.2?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Head Fi's Favourite Amp for the Audeze LCD 2: $200-$1000 [POLL] Last post on 1/21/15 at 5:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Support Recommendations: Woo Audio WA7 and WA7d Fireflies and USB 3.0 on Macs running OS X 10.9... Last post on 8/4/14 at 3:04pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Woo Audio: NEW! WA7tp (tube PSU) Early-bird offer Last post on 12/26/14 at 7:57am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- New WA7d Fireflies with Two Digital Inputs Last post on 12/23/14 at 6:33pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Choosing between 4 amp/dac Last post on 2/9/14 at 5:26am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 11/28/14
I have been using the E17 "Alpen" every day for over a year now. It is my go-to device for enjoying music at work, or anywhere other than my home office. So, here are my thoughts: Build...
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
This is a quick unboxing and review of the player. More detailed review coming soon.
Hi all, I will prepare a proper review when I have some time and am not working. In short however, these are superior to any IEM I have personally used for my tastes. I listen to a vast...
Disclaimer: I was given the MEElectronics M9 Classic in return for a review. The opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own, and were not influenced by MEElectronics in any way. Before I...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
A Tale of Two Tube Amps - The Woo Audio WA7 and ALO Audio PanAm - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:
It's more musically engaging. While the O2 has an uncanny clarity, I'd prefer to listen for longer with the WA7. For want of a better description, the O2 trades off dynamics for low noise. Drums, for example, have more impact with better amps (not just the WA7) where with the O2 they sound rather flat. The in-built DAC of the WA7 is a little bit coloured as well, but that is far harder to describe. I didn't have the ODAC here at the same time as the WA7, so I can't compare them.
Sorry for this post does not relate to this topic. Where can I order a good high quality USB power hub such as Aurorasound USB Bus Power Pro? Google it but only saw on Japanese website, besides other USB power hubs brands would you like to recommend? My budget is about $100-$150. Thanks.
I would also be interested in this comparison, especially for a headphone like the LCD-2 and HE-500
I have a few questions that I hope the experts here can help me clarify:
1. The WA7 page on the Woo Audio website says that an umbilical power cord (which i assume is for the external power supply given) but no AC cord is provided. So is it safe to assume that it will work with any generic AC cord (i.e.230V ones) without the possibility of it frying the insides?
2. I've read that the TH600 pairs very well with it. How bout the TH900? (i might have missed that within the threads so i do apologize if i repeated the question)
3. Can anybody give a detailed comparison between the WA7 and the HP-A8? (again, if i missed it i apologize)
Thanks guys. =)
2) Beautiful too. I had both the TH-600 & TH-900 when I demoed the WA7. I own the TH-900 but the WA7 & TH-600 were loaners. This is going back by memory but the WA7 narrowed the gap between the TH-series more so than my HP-A8. I would have considered picking up the WA7 if I didn't have my sites on the Zana Deux.
3) the amp section of the HP-A8 was to me the bigger let-down. The WA7 improved the imaging & dimension of the presentation over the HP-A8. My non-audiophile wife suggested for me to sell my HP-A8 for the WA7 which I was highly tempted.
The DAC of the WA7 didn't wow me as much. It did well but in the end using the AKM DAC from the HP-A8 & WA7 as the amp was a more detailed & engaging combination than just the WA7 on its own. Jack Woo hinted that there may be just an amp-only WA7. If that turned to a reality I think that would be a very nice addition to the Woo family.
Thanks for your help. What do you think about the Audeze LCD 2/3 vs TH600/900 in terms of the synergy with the WA7 and the HP-A8? I'm interested in looking for a more compact solution (relatively to having a separate amp and dac) because it may need to be transferred on occasion. I listen to a whole wide range of genres (rock,pop, jazz, acoustic, classical, electronic you name it I probably have at least a few songs of it) from old days to the current mainstream music but do not particularly enjoy stuff like heavy metal and hip-hop.
Great to hear your wife being supportive of the WA7 though. It usually takes a very good product to impress the non-audiophiles. It's easier to impress those who have the audiophile genes in them but have yet to discover them themselves.
Currawong can speak more about the WA7 synergy however I don't believe he has the TH-6/900 therefore don't know if he can do a direct comparison.
Has anyone tried the WA7 or WA6 with CIEMs? Curious as while there is a impedance switch for both of these amps and they are rated for 8-600ohm headphones, it still might affect the sound signatures of CIEMs.
- A Tale of Two Tube Amps - The Woo Audio WA7 and ALO Audio PanAm
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015 -- It's Official! 2 seconds ago
- › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions 13 seconds ago
- › DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution? 27 seconds ago
- › Westone 3 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › How does amp circuitry work? 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 1 minute ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › geek out 720 black 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3