How do these two compare against the O2/ODAC, particularly for the LCD-2.2?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Choosing between 4 amp/dac Last post on 2/9/14 at 5:26am in Dedicated Source Components
- WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! Last post on Today at 5:22 am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Small Amp/DAC for HD800 Last post on 6/29/13 at 10:57pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- BREAKING NEWS! ALO audio's new portable tube amplifier + DAC! Last post on 11/4/12 at 10:32am in Portable Headphone Amps
- WM8524G Alternative Drivers Last post on 3/3/14 at 11:58am in Computer Audio
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)Last edited: 12/28/12
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
A Tale of Two Tube Amps - The Woo Audio WA7 and ALO Audio PanAm - Page 6post #76 of 1114/2/13 at 2:14am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 1114/3/13 at 6:16ampost #78 of 1114/3/13 at 4:56pmThread Starter
It's more musically engaging. While the O2 has an uncanny clarity, I'd prefer to listen for longer with the WA7. For want of a better description, the O2 trades off dynamics for low noise. Drums, for example, have more impact with better amps (not just the WA7) where with the O2 they sound rather flat. The in-built DAC of the WA7 is a little bit coloured as well, but that is far harder to describe. I didn't have the ODAC here at the same time as the WA7, so I can't compare them.post #79 of 1114/20/13 at 12:36am
Sorry for this post does not relate to this topic. Where can I order a good high quality USB power hub such as Aurorasound USB Bus Power Pro? Google it but only saw on Japanese website, besides other USB power hubs brands would you like to recommend? My budget is about $100-$150. Thanks.post #80 of 1114/24/13 at 6:07ampost #81 of 1114/28/13 at 5:54pmQuote:
I would also be interested in this comparison, especially for a headphone like the LCD-2 and HE-500post #82 of 1115/7/13 at 3:40pmpost #83 of 1115/8/13 at 9:08am
I have a few questions that I hope the experts here can help me clarify:
1. The WA7 page on the Woo Audio website says that an umbilical power cord (which i assume is for the external power supply given) but no AC cord is provided. So is it safe to assume that it will work with any generic AC cord (i.e.230V ones) without the possibility of it frying the insides?
2. I've read that the TH600 pairs very well with it. How bout the TH900? (i might have missed that within the threads so i do apologize if i repeated the question)
3. Can anybody give a detailed comparison between the WA7 and the HP-A8? (again, if i missed it i apologize)
Thanks guys. =)
post #84 of 1115/8/13 at 7:03pm1) Yes, any power cord that's socket compatible will do. When I ran low, I used my PS3 power cord. Note I'm only referring to operability - beefy audio power cords can go to the Sound Science section
2) Beautiful too. I had both the TH-600 & TH-900 when I demoed the WA7. I own the TH-900 but the WA7 & TH-600 were loaners. This is going back by memory but the WA7 narrowed the gap between the TH-series more so than my HP-A8. I would have considered picking up the WA7 if I didn't have my sites on the Zana Deux.
3) the amp section of the HP-A8 was to me the bigger let-down. The WA7 improved the imaging & dimension of the presentation over the HP-A8. My non-audiophile wife suggested for me to sell my HP-A8 for the WA7 which I was highly tempted.
The DAC of the WA7 didn't wow me as much. It did well but in the end using the AKM DAC from the HP-A8 & WA7 as the amp was a more detailed & engaging combination than just the WA7 on its own. Jack Woo hinted that there may be just an amp-only WA7. If that turned to a reality I think that would be a very nice addition to the Woo family.post #85 of 1115/9/13 at 4:10am
Thanks for your help. What do you think about the Audeze LCD 2/3 vs TH600/900 in terms of the synergy with the WA7 and the HP-A8? I'm interested in looking for a more compact solution (relatively to having a separate amp and dac) because it may need to be transferred on occasion. I listen to a whole wide range of genres (rock,pop, jazz, acoustic, classical, electronic you name it I probably have at least a few songs of it) from old days to the current mainstream music but do not particularly enjoy stuff like heavy metal and hip-hop.
Great to hear your wife being supportive of the WA7 though. It usually takes a very good product to impress the non-audiophiles. It's easier to impress those who have the audiophile genes in them but have yet to discover them themselves.post #86 of 1115/9/13 at 6:05pmUnfortunately I can't speak much for the Audeze's as I've never owned one. My only open headphone is the SR-009 which has its own amp.
Currawong can speak more about the WA7 synergy however I don't believe he has the TH-6/900 therefore don't know if he can do a direct comparison.post #87 of 1115/12/13 at 4:01ampost #88 of 1116/2/13 at 1:18pm
Has anyone tried the WA7 or WA6 with CIEMs? Curious as while there is a impedance switch for both of these amps and they are rated for 8-600ohm headphones, it still might affect the sound signatures of CIEMs.post #89 of 1116/3/13 at 12:21pm
- A Tale of Two Tube Amps - The Woo Audio WA7 and ALO Audio PanAm
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › BTG-Audio Starlight SPC removable iem/ciem cable 10 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 15 seconds ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 46 seconds ago
- › Album art game 1 minute ago
- › PSB M4U2 left ear died - anyone had this happen? 2 minutes ago
- › Tokyo 2014 Spring Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival May 10-11 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones around $150 2 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Masterly Mastered Albums 3 minutes ago
- › Need help in choosing cheap Over-ear headphone (Takstar HI2050,... 3 minutes ago
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude