so which one sound cleaner and absolutely transparent ?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Head Fi's Favourite Amp for the Audeze LCD 2: $200-$1000 [POLL] Last post on 1/21/15 at 5:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Support Recommendations: Woo Audio WA7 and WA7d Fireflies and USB 3.0 on Macs running OS X 10.9... Last post on 4/19/15 at 12:23am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Woo Audio: NEW! WA7tp (tube PSU) Early-bird offer Last post on 12/26/14 at 7:57am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- New WA7d Fireflies with Two Digital Inputs Last post on 12/23/14 at 6:33pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Choosing between 4 amp/dac Last post on 2/9/14 at 5:26am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 4/13/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 11/28/14
Ok, I've had these for a while now and decided to leave some feedback on these. First thing, the sound from these IEM's (earphones) are nothing short of excellent with a few minor dislikes. At...
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
A Tale of Two Tube Amps - The Woo Audio WA7 and ALO Audio PanAm - Page 8
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Fidelity182: The WA7 overall, with the tube upgrade, but some of that depends on the headphones and the music. The more demanding the headphones and the more detailed the music the more apparent the differences. The PanAm is still very good with the Gateway and better than stock tubes and only a bit behind with a lot of music.
I recall reading somewhere that Woo Audio would be sending everyone in the 1st batch of orders something to keep the glass block from shifting around -- is this true, or did I dream this up somehow?
I got mine for the pre-order price, and haven't received anything of that sort yet...
Mine is an original version too and I just put pieces of sticky silicon that sounded the stick-on feet from something else on the corners rather than bug Jack about it.
However, in your case I'd contact Woo Audio and ask them about it.
Thanks again for the update, I am very new to this forum, but find it pretty interesting, lots of information.
The PanAmp sounds very warm and bold indeed, for its price at $699/- in Singapore.
Unfortunately if you make a AB comparison with the Studio Six, immediately you will notice the difference.
Both has its characteristic, again depend on your budget and taste again
Nope, no chance to audit the WA7 yet.
Just got the PanAm and LCD2,2 for Black Friday (15% off the Pan Am and 20% off the LCD, around $1250 total!) what a combo. I was thinking of the WA7 but for less than half the price I went wight eh Pan Am. Just rolled in some Mullard Tubes that many recommended and they sound awesome, great separation, staging and punch. I am not sure how the WA7 could be much better but hope to check that out at a get-together. (sorry for the multiple posts, computer went crazy!!)
Edited by LeeMark - 12/12/13 at 7:57am
Originally Posted by Currawong
This methodology is the basis for me claiming victory of the $10 Philips SHE3580 over the $200 Etymotic ER-4P (for ergonomic reasons, and because they now sound equally as good to my ears), so there should be something to it ;)
EQ can help, isn't that part of what a hearing aid does.
Forget about clipping, that should not be happening, get an amp that has enough headroom. This is easy enough to do nowadays. The old theory is not old theory but soft tube clipping is for an electric guitarist not for someone trying to enjoy listening to music (playback). If you opt to buy a tube amp it's not for the purposes of clipping but for the sound of tubes, being even order harmonic distortion, not a lot of it, just a bit for warmth. Myself, I prefer the clean sound of Solid State, but that's a personal choice. I do have a small hybrid amp.
OK all those preliminary quotes are in preparation to ask you what is the theory of tube rolling is it just the even order harmonic distortion which StanD mentioned in my quote immediately above? Or is it also monkeying around with the total headphones frequency response delivered to your is? (Which I know can also affect soundstage.) Or is it some sort of coloration which camp beasts called distortion? Or what all you all think is the reasons tube rolling works?
Edited by bbmiller - 3/4/14 at 9:36am
Hi Amos, I deciding between the Pathos Aurium and the WA7 for my XC. Did you have the opportunity to try the former and if so is it significantly better? I known Innerfidelity put it on the wall of fame. Thanks!
@Lutrty I haven't had a chance to audition the Pathos, sorry.
@bbmiller Sorry for missing your question, but the whole thing about tube gear being purely for the "even order harmonic distortion" is not true. There are plenty of tube amps without it and it is far from the only kind of distortion that an amp can have.
- A Tale of Two Tube Amps - The Woo Audio WA7 and ALO Audio PanAm
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › "The Lab" 25 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 38 seconds ago
- › Comparisons: 25 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 1 minute ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Dynalo (Rev.C) construction thread 3 minutes ago
- › Anyone from the Philippines here? 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2