I've just recently started browsing this forum, and joining the audiophile community, so I'm looking for a starting pair of headphones. I've been looking at a few different pairs, including the Grado SR60 and 80i, Sennheiser HD280s etc. Before i purchased any I decided to get some knowledge from you guys first. I normally listen to Rock musics, alternative, classic, punk and more, but I ly have very wide musical tastes, and also enjoy classical, jazz, electronic, Hip-Hop and more. I understand that to fill all these tastes I'll probably have to buy more than one pair of headphones so for now an emphasis on rock is fine. Thanks!
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphone under 100$ Last post on 12/11/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable alternatives to Sony MDR-V6? Last post on 11/18/13 at 6:46pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Are HD 598s a great starting choice for headphones? Or..? Last post on 3/27/13 at 1:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 10/29/14 at 8:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone under $80 Last post on 11/11/12 at 12:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
I have a lot of closed headphones. These are as good as any other closed headphone at this price, in fact, I prefer these to the DT770, K550, UE6000. The DJ1 Pro have a bigger and airier sound...
Video review of the Fiio X3 Second Generation player.
The price to performance ratio of the HiFiMan HE-400 is truly exceptional. The clamping force of new head band is tight and requires break-in. I prefer the the plush pads over stock pads for...
They are a very good option. The sound is natural, they are comfortable to use. The only con I have with it is the included cable that is too long and bulky (if you want to listen them connected...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Best Headphones under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Grados are rock-emphasis headphones. HD280's are closed and not as good. In general, you'll get the best sound for the price from full-sized, open headphones. It's much more difficult to make a closed headphone sound natural. The Alessandro MS1's are based off Grados, but tuned to be more general purpose. But for what you want, the SR80i's should be great starter headphones. I don't listen to mine as much now as I've moved on to others, but I still think they're pretty impressive for the price.
The Grado's are always a top choice...
for more bass, but still quality sound, I like the Creative Aurvana Live (aka "CAL").
I also recommend the (classic) Sony MDR V6.
Have you thought of whether you want closed or open headphones?
The Grado SR-60s are a great choice and recommended by many when similar threads like these come up. If you prefer a closed then go with those, check out VMODA Crossfade and the Sony MDR v55 or v6.
Found this article which has a side by side comparison between these brands:
Edited by DubMaster - 3/26/13 at 1:24pm
Grado SR60, Sony MDR-V6 are awesome. If you can go a little over, you can get Audio Technica M50's for $130-140. They are closed back and everyone loves them. This might help you: http://classicalmusicheadphones.com/5-best-headphones-under-100/
Not much. (in case of the SR80's)
I would not recommend Grado's (at least the Prestige Series) to anyone who's "treble sensitive".
Especially the 325is.
Low volumes or otherwise.
Thanks. I appreciate your reply.
edit: the igrado's are part of the prestige series, yet I have read multiple reviews which claim that treble response is rolled off on these 'phones.
Edited by newphones - 4/8/13 at 11:21pm
I got my pair. This is a very preliminary overview:
1. build quality, from a strictly visual/esthetic perspective, looks to be absolutely rock bottom at first. The plastic moulds look low grade even by dollar tree standards.
2. fit is...well, interesting. If you don't position the pads correctly, you're in for a lot of discomfort. Once you do position the pads correctly, you realize that they place a lot of pressure on the ears. I believe I have grown accustomed to the fit very quickly, but initially, it's not easy to be positively impressed.
3. sound quality: out of the box, the sound signature seems to be almost exactly what I wanted: a happy compromise between the dark, bassy portapros, and the light airy koss ksc75's. It's been a long time since I've listened to ksc75's, but those seemed to have slightly steelier, more fatiguing highs.
The boost or coloration of igrado's is clearly higher than the upper mids, but it's not enough of a treble boost to make the phones sound shrill. There's definitely room there for more 'air' and sparkle. But again, the tradeoff being that such a sound signature is far more likely to be fatiguing.
I only listened to a handful of songs at low volume, just to be on the cautious side.
I'll let you know how these burn in after 24-50 hours.
Edited by newphones - 4/9/13 at 7:01pm
- Best Headphones under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › On Ear Headphones for 100$ 1 minute ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 3 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 4 minutes ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › SilverFi IEM Cables Worldwide Audition Tour - Limited Number of... 5 minutes ago
- › SpinFit Eartips Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI... 7 minutes ago
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Ultrasone DJ1 PRO by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2