I've just recently started browsing this forum, and joining the audiophile community, so I'm looking for a starting pair of headphones. I've been looking at a few different pairs, including the Grado SR60 and 80i, Sennheiser HD280s etc. Before i purchased any I decided to get some knowledge from you guys first. I normally listen to Rock musics, alternative, classic, punk and more, but I ly have very wide musical tastes, and also enjoy classical, jazz, electronic, Hip-Hop and more. I understand that to fill all these tastes I'll probably have to buy more than one pair of headphones so for now an emphasis on rock is fine. Thanks!
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphone under 100$ Last post on 12/11/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable alternatives to Sony MDR-V6? Last post on 11/18/13 at 6:46pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Are HD 598s a great starting choice for headphones? Or..? Last post on 3/27/13 at 1:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone under $80 Last post on 11/11/12 at 12:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
Introduction – Read Heath Audio (or RHA for short) are soon to release their latest and greatest earphone, the T10i. Much like the rest of RHA’s products, the T10i’s were designed to offer premium...
I've owned an EarMax and Sennheiser HD 580's for 20 years, so I'm already familiar with tubed OTL headphone amps. The linestage of my old Quicksilver started developing some noise, and I didn't...
I bought these from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and felt buyer's remorse when I wasn't blown away by the sound. They aren't bad, but they do lack bass and the feel is cheap. They were somewhat...
I would like to thank Brainwavz for the review sample of R3! Brainwavz R3 is a dual dynamic drivers IEM. It has 2 dynamic drivers in each housing, facing each other into a sound blending...
HIFIMAN HE-560 ON TAP: A FIRST DAY REVIEW SAGA (HIFIMAN HE-560 TOUR IMPRESSIONS) FIRST IMPRESSIONS Wow ... what a big box! I was expecting a more economically packaged box, but once I...
Best Headphones under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Grados are rock-emphasis headphones. HD280's are closed and not as good. In general, you'll get the best sound for the price from full-sized, open headphones. It's much more difficult to make a closed headphone sound natural. The Alessandro MS1's are based off Grados, but tuned to be more general purpose. But for what you want, the SR80i's should be great starter headphones. I don't listen to mine as much now as I've moved on to others, but I still think they're pretty impressive for the price.
The Grado's are always a top choice...
for more bass, but still quality sound, I like the Creative Aurvana Live (aka "CAL").
I also recommend the (classic) Sony MDR V6.
Have you thought of whether you want closed or open headphones?
The Grado SR-60s are a great choice and recommended by many when similar threads like these come up. If you prefer a closed then go with those, check out VMODA Crossfade and the Sony MDR v55 or v6.
Found this article which has a side by side comparison between these brands:
Edited by DubMaster - 3/26/13 at 1:24pm
Grado SR60, Sony MDR-V6 are awesome. If you can go a little over, you can get Audio Technica M50's for $130-140. They are closed back and everyone loves them. This might help you: http://classicalmusicheadphones.com/5-best-headphones-under-100/
Not much. (in case of the SR80's)
I would not recommend Grado's (at least the Prestige Series) to anyone who's "treble sensitive".
Especially the 325is.
Low volumes or otherwise.
Thanks. I appreciate your reply.
edit: the igrado's are part of the prestige series, yet I have read multiple reviews which claim that treble response is rolled off on these 'phones.
Edited by newphones - 4/8/13 at 11:21pm
I got my pair. This is a very preliminary overview:
1. build quality, from a strictly visual/esthetic perspective, looks to be absolutely rock bottom at first. The plastic moulds look low grade even by dollar tree standards.
2. fit is...well, interesting. If you don't position the pads correctly, you're in for a lot of discomfort. Once you do position the pads correctly, you realize that they place a lot of pressure on the ears. I believe I have grown accustomed to the fit very quickly, but initially, it's not easy to be positively impressed.
3. sound quality: out of the box, the sound signature seems to be almost exactly what I wanted: a happy compromise between the dark, bassy portapros, and the light airy koss ksc75's. It's been a long time since I've listened to ksc75's, but those seemed to have slightly steelier, more fatiguing highs.
The boost or coloration of igrado's is clearly higher than the upper mids, but it's not enough of a treble boost to make the phones sound shrill. There's definitely room there for more 'air' and sparkle. But again, the tradeoff being that such a sound signature is far more likely to be fatiguing.
I only listened to a handful of songs at low volume, just to be on the cautious side.
I'll let you know how these burn in after 24-50 hours.
Edited by newphones - 4/9/13 at 7:01pm
- Best Headphones under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › AKG K812 or HD800? 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 2 minutes ago
- › How to cut the Flac file of 1 hour + without reencoding and... 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 2 minutes ago
- › Help! Looking for a good multimedia player and amp for Shure SE846 3 minutes ago
- › Oh Schiit, it's the end of the world! Announcing Ragnarok. 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)