I've just recently started browsing this forum, and joining the audiophile community, so I'm looking for a starting pair of headphones. I've been looking at a few different pairs, including the Grado SR60 and 80i, Sennheiser HD280s etc. Before i purchased any I decided to get some knowledge from you guys first. I normally listen to Rock musics, alternative, classic, punk and more, but I ly have very wide musical tastes, and also enjoy classical, jazz, electronic, Hip-Hop and more. I understand that to fill all these tastes I'll probably have to buy more than one pair of headphones so for now an emphasis on rock is fine. Thanks!
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphone under 100$ Last post on 12/11/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable alternatives to Sony MDR-V6? Last post on 11/18/13 at 6:46pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Are HD 598s a great starting choice for headphones? Or..? Last post on 3/27/13 at 1:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 10/29/14 at 8:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone under $80 Last post on 11/11/12 at 12:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
Synopsis: The RD3 is part of the next generation of earphones from Rhapsodio. Powered by a single high-end dynamic driver, it has a warm sound and a hearty bass response. The RD3’s design...
Synopsis: The Spectrum Series G10 is the next generation universal fit stage monitor from Future Sonics. Replacing the Atrio with a new driver, housing, and cables, the G10 surpasses it in detail...
Introduction: I received the Cayin N6 as a tour unit that was generously provided by CTC Audio. CTC Audio focuses on making brands that aren’t as accessible in North America, mostly from Asia,...
The Shure SE215 is the first IEM I owned and was the one that brought me in head-fi. I got mine for around $95 at the time after reading some reviews online here and there. Since then, I've learned...
The overall sound is similar to the Audeze LCD-2F - slightly on the warm side of neutral, but without the ultimate resolution the LCD-2F has. And easier to drive so you can plug them into your...
Best Headphones under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Grados are rock-emphasis headphones. HD280's are closed and not as good. In general, you'll get the best sound for the price from full-sized, open headphones. It's much more difficult to make a closed headphone sound natural. The Alessandro MS1's are based off Grados, but tuned to be more general purpose. But for what you want, the SR80i's should be great starter headphones. I don't listen to mine as much now as I've moved on to others, but I still think they're pretty impressive for the price.
The Grado's are always a top choice...
for more bass, but still quality sound, I like the Creative Aurvana Live (aka "CAL").
I also recommend the (classic) Sony MDR V6.
Have you thought of whether you want closed or open headphones?
The Grado SR-60s are a great choice and recommended by many when similar threads like these come up. If you prefer a closed then go with those, check out VMODA Crossfade and the Sony MDR v55 or v6.
Found this article which has a side by side comparison between these brands:
Edited by DubMaster - 3/26/13 at 1:24pm
Grado SR60, Sony MDR-V6 are awesome. If you can go a little over, you can get Audio Technica M50's for $130-140. They are closed back and everyone loves them. This might help you: http://classicalmusicheadphones.com/5-best-headphones-under-100/
Not much. (in case of the SR80's)
I would not recommend Grado's (at least the Prestige Series) to anyone who's "treble sensitive".
Especially the 325is.
Low volumes or otherwise.
Thanks. I appreciate your reply.
edit: the igrado's are part of the prestige series, yet I have read multiple reviews which claim that treble response is rolled off on these 'phones.
Edited by newphones - 4/8/13 at 11:21pm
I got my pair. This is a very preliminary overview:
1. build quality, from a strictly visual/esthetic perspective, looks to be absolutely rock bottom at first. The plastic moulds look low grade even by dollar tree standards.
2. fit is...well, interesting. If you don't position the pads correctly, you're in for a lot of discomfort. Once you do position the pads correctly, you realize that they place a lot of pressure on the ears. I believe I have grown accustomed to the fit very quickly, but initially, it's not easy to be positively impressed.
3. sound quality: out of the box, the sound signature seems to be almost exactly what I wanted: a happy compromise between the dark, bassy portapros, and the light airy koss ksc75's. It's been a long time since I've listened to ksc75's, but those seemed to have slightly steelier, more fatiguing highs.
The boost or coloration of igrado's is clearly higher than the upper mids, but it's not enough of a treble boost to make the phones sound shrill. There's definitely room there for more 'air' and sparkle. But again, the tradeoff being that such a sound signature is far more likely to be fatiguing.
I only listened to a handful of songs at low volume, just to be on the cautious side.
I'll let you know how these burn in after 24-50 hours.
Edited by newphones - 4/9/13 at 7:01pm
- Best Headphones under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Grado Fan Club! 12 seconds ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 12 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 32 seconds ago
- › JH Audio JH5pro thread 1 minute ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Discussion for next Florida meet 2015 3 minutes ago
- › Which under-$100 USB DAC, from these choices? 3 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 7 minutes ago
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › VSONIC GR07 by MRC001
- › Tube Amp LF-15 by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3