I've just recently started browsing this forum, and joining the audiophile community, so I'm looking for a starting pair of headphones. I've been looking at a few different pairs, including the Grado SR60 and 80i, Sennheiser HD280s etc. Before i purchased any I decided to get some knowledge from you guys first. I normally listen to Rock musics, alternative, classic, punk and more, but I ly have very wide musical tastes, and also enjoy classical, jazz, electronic, Hip-Hop and more. I understand that to fill all these tastes I'll probably have to buy more than one pair of headphones so for now an emphasis on rock is fine. Thanks!
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphone under 100$ Last post on 12/11/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable alternatives to Sony MDR-V6? Last post on 11/18/13 at 6:46pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Are HD 598s a great starting choice for headphones? Or..? Last post on 3/27/13 at 1:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone under $80 Last post on 11/11/12 at 12:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I first reviewed the original Brainwavz R3 back in December 2013, and unfortunately...
Not too much to say here other than that these headphones are stellar! I mostly listen to my vinyl collection with these bad boys and it's an absolute joy. I purchased an external amp to power them...
Man are these awesome , they're cheap..but as all Beyers they sound fu**** awesome , these are clean , fun and dynamic , they sound excellent Let me preface this by telling this...
This is actually the first "over-head" headphone i ever bought, but compared to my philips and LG tone+ this one is a lot more for 70$, i mainly use it on my gaming rig with sound card...
Ok we'll these were my first over ear headphones I fell in love with and there's plenty of reasons for that, I'll talk about the durability, comfort level and mind blowing bass first -...
Best Headphones under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Grados are rock-emphasis headphones. HD280's are closed and not as good. In general, you'll get the best sound for the price from full-sized, open headphones. It's much more difficult to make a closed headphone sound natural. The Alessandro MS1's are based off Grados, but tuned to be more general purpose. But for what you want, the SR80i's should be great starter headphones. I don't listen to mine as much now as I've moved on to others, but I still think they're pretty impressive for the price.
The Grado's are always a top choice...
for more bass, but still quality sound, I like the Creative Aurvana Live (aka "CAL").
I also recommend the (classic) Sony MDR V6.
Have you thought of whether you want closed or open headphones?
The Grado SR-60s are a great choice and recommended by many when similar threads like these come up. If you prefer a closed then go with those, check out VMODA Crossfade and the Sony MDR v55 or v6.
Found this article which has a side by side comparison between these brands:
Edited by DubMaster - 3/26/13 at 1:24pm
Grado SR60, Sony MDR-V6 are awesome. If you can go a little over, you can get Audio Technica M50's for $130-140. They are closed back and everyone loves them. This might help you: http://classicalmusicheadphones.com/5-best-headphones-under-100/
Not much. (in case of the SR80's)
I would not recommend Grado's (at least the Prestige Series) to anyone who's "treble sensitive".
Especially the 325is.
Low volumes or otherwise.
Thanks. I appreciate your reply.
edit: the igrado's are part of the prestige series, yet I have read multiple reviews which claim that treble response is rolled off on these 'phones.
Edited by newphones - 4/8/13 at 11:21pm
I got my pair. This is a very preliminary overview:
1. build quality, from a strictly visual/esthetic perspective, looks to be absolutely rock bottom at first. The plastic moulds look low grade even by dollar tree standards.
2. fit is...well, interesting. If you don't position the pads correctly, you're in for a lot of discomfort. Once you do position the pads correctly, you realize that they place a lot of pressure on the ears. I believe I have grown accustomed to the fit very quickly, but initially, it's not easy to be positively impressed.
3. sound quality: out of the box, the sound signature seems to be almost exactly what I wanted: a happy compromise between the dark, bassy portapros, and the light airy koss ksc75's. It's been a long time since I've listened to ksc75's, but those seemed to have slightly steelier, more fatiguing highs.
The boost or coloration of igrado's is clearly higher than the upper mids, but it's not enough of a treble boost to make the phones sound shrill. There's definitely room there for more 'air' and sparkle. But again, the tradeoff being that such a sound signature is far more likely to be fatiguing.
I only listened to a handful of songs at low volume, just to be on the cautious side.
I'll let you know how these burn in after 24-50 hours.
Edited by newphones - 4/9/13 at 7:01pm
- Best Headphones under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 5 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 40 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 3 minutes ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Rock-it R50 4 minutes ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 6 minutes ago
- › New AKG K701 (Without Bumps - Original Manufactured Condition from... 7 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 8 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 10 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Brooko
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by WavyGravy1
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 710 Trendline Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Marshall Headphones - 'Major' Over Ear (Black) by Kordz
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by 12cc2
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by Tom22
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)