I've just recently started browsing this forum, and joining the audiophile community, so I'm looking for a starting pair of headphones. I've been looking at a few different pairs, including the Grado SR60 and 80i, Sennheiser HD280s etc. Before i purchased any I decided to get some knowledge from you guys first. I normally listen to Rock musics, alternative, classic, punk and more, but I ly have very wide musical tastes, and also enjoy classical, jazz, electronic, Hip-Hop and more. I understand that to fill all these tastes I'll probably have to buy more than one pair of headphones so for now an emphasis on rock is fine. Thanks!
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphone under 100$ Last post on 12/11/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable alternatives to Sony MDR-V6? Last post on 11/18/13 at 6:46pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Are HD 598s a great starting choice for headphones? Or..? Last post on 3/27/13 at 1:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 10/29/14 at 8:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone under $80 Last post on 11/11/12 at 12:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
Great sound, strong bass, great construct quality, very confortable, warm sound. This is a real overall headphone. Everything will sound good on it (not a real reference headphone). Fantastic for...
Great sound, great tone, very well balanced, very clean, great bass (not lacking), detailed sound. Everything sounds great on the SENNHEISER HD 598.
Everything sounds great, extremely clean and extremely detailed on the HD 650. Fantastic clean sound, fantastic resolution, fantastic tone, warm, extremely well balanced, great bass (not...
Best Headphones under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Grados are rock-emphasis headphones. HD280's are closed and not as good. In general, you'll get the best sound for the price from full-sized, open headphones. It's much more difficult to make a closed headphone sound natural. The Alessandro MS1's are based off Grados, but tuned to be more general purpose. But for what you want, the SR80i's should be great starter headphones. I don't listen to mine as much now as I've moved on to others, but I still think they're pretty impressive for the price.
The Grado's are always a top choice...
for more bass, but still quality sound, I like the Creative Aurvana Live (aka "CAL").
I also recommend the (classic) Sony MDR V6.
Have you thought of whether you want closed or open headphones?
The Grado SR-60s are a great choice and recommended by many when similar threads like these come up. If you prefer a closed then go with those, check out VMODA Crossfade and the Sony MDR v55 or v6.
Found this article which has a side by side comparison between these brands:
Edited by DubMaster - 3/26/13 at 1:24pm
Grado SR60, Sony MDR-V6 are awesome. If you can go a little over, you can get Audio Technica M50's for $130-140. They are closed back and everyone loves them. This might help you: http://classicalmusicheadphones.com/5-best-headphones-under-100/
Not much. (in case of the SR80's)
I would not recommend Grado's (at least the Prestige Series) to anyone who's "treble sensitive".
Especially the 325is.
Low volumes or otherwise.
Thanks. I appreciate your reply.
edit: the igrado's are part of the prestige series, yet I have read multiple reviews which claim that treble response is rolled off on these 'phones.
Edited by newphones - 4/8/13 at 11:21pm
I got my pair. This is a very preliminary overview:
1. build quality, from a strictly visual/esthetic perspective, looks to be absolutely rock bottom at first. The plastic moulds look low grade even by dollar tree standards.
2. fit is...well, interesting. If you don't position the pads correctly, you're in for a lot of discomfort. Once you do position the pads correctly, you realize that they place a lot of pressure on the ears. I believe I have grown accustomed to the fit very quickly, but initially, it's not easy to be positively impressed.
3. sound quality: out of the box, the sound signature seems to be almost exactly what I wanted: a happy compromise between the dark, bassy portapros, and the light airy koss ksc75's. It's been a long time since I've listened to ksc75's, but those seemed to have slightly steelier, more fatiguing highs.
The boost or coloration of igrado's is clearly higher than the upper mids, but it's not enough of a treble boost to make the phones sound shrill. There's definitely room there for more 'air' and sparkle. But again, the tradeoff being that such a sound signature is far more likely to be fatiguing.
I only listened to a handful of songs at low volume, just to be on the cautious side.
I'll let you know how these burn in after 24-50 hours.
Edited by newphones - 4/9/13 at 7:01pm
- Best Headphones under $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Fiio X5 Thread 21 seconds ago
- › REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax... 1 minute ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 1 minute ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 1 minute ago
- › THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers) 1 minute ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR-X05 wires - Has a volume control and it looks like a track... 1 minute ago
- › Looking for suggestions on a durable pair of over the ear... 1 minute ago
- › Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3 1 minute ago
- › Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto 2 minutes ago
- › Matrix M-Stage by Johannus
- › Pioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Black by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by DJScope
- › HUM Pervasion - Android DAP by DJScope
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DreamKing
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2