- 160 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Stax protection Last post on 2/5/15 at 5:04am in High-end Audio Forum
- What would you say are the best 3 IEM's out in the market now ? Last post on 1/17/16 at 3:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Stax 009 Last post on 12/3/14 at 9:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Stax 009: Advice on Buying used Last post on 11/15/14 at 5:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
Introduction I have owned these headphones for four years now. These were my first decent pair that I researched before buying. Before this I had just bought inexpensive headphones that happened...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we're going to be checking out a wireless Bluetooth speaker from Archeer, the A320. Archeer sells a pretty wide variety of products like cellphone cases, headphones,...
Introduction – Everyone knows earbuds, those cheap, tinny sounding throwaways included with almost every mp3 player. So then, it may come as a surprise that earbuds are making a comeback and not...
The Oriveti BASIC: A dark and inviting entry-level offering into higher level audio BASIC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for feedback and review -- I am in no way affiliated with...
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
BHSE or Aristaeus for SR-009?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Neither. I suspect the BHSE is likely overkill for the SR-009, and the Aristaeus wasn't made to amp any Stax headphones. The Aristaeus is HeadAmp's take on the Orpheus (HEV90) which was an amp for the Senn HE90.
As others have noted, the Aristaeus was voiced with the HE90 in mind primarily. It's going to be a really stereotypically "tubey" (warm, lush, etc.) sounding amp, especially compared to the BHSE which will sound far more transparent.
Whether the Aristaeus is appropriate for the SR-009 or not is entirely up to you. It can certainly drive the SR-009 without any technical problems, but some might feel an amp like that blunts the capabilities of the SR-009. On the other hand, some may feel the SR-009 sounds too thin and/or bright on the BHSE.
My advice would be to try to audition them in person somewhere if at all possible. Otherwise, read a variety of impressions for each amp you're interested in until you get a general idea of what it sounds like paired with the SR-009. Then go with what suits your personal tastes. There are other amps out there to consider: for example a Stax SRM-717, SRM-727 (modded), Liquid Lightning, or Electra. You can also go the DIY route and build / have built a KGSSHV. Also keep in mind your source is going to play a big role. You'll want something really nice to feed into a top-tier Stax chain.
Edit: Speaking from personal experience, I prefer the Liquid Lightning with the SR-009. I'm one of those folks who find the BHSE underwhelming with the SR-009. Others love the pairing. Personally the BHSE would be my first choice for amp with the SR-007.
Here's a good article by Tyll on a few well-known amps: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/listening-great-headphone-amplifiers-and-stax-sr-900
The Aristaeus isn't there, which isn't surprising since [again] it's associated with the HE90 more.
Edited by MuppetFace - 2/15/13 at 2:16am
- BHSE or Aristaeus for SR-009?
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 27 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 34 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 42 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 47 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Is my cable balanced 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Recommendations for new DAP under $900 (but NOT the Questyle QP1R)? 1 minute ago
- › FS: Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2 /w Balance Cable & New Pads 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 vs Shure SE846 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K240 MKII Headphones by Napalmhardcore
- › ARCHEER 25W Bluetooth Home Speakers with Huge Bass and Superior... by B9Scrambler
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by ryanjsoo
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear