- 121 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- STAX SR-009 - Mint Condition Last post on 5/10/13 at 12:01pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- DAC for SR-009/BHSE Last post on 4/30/13 at 7:45am in High-end Audio Forum
- SR-009's and the BHA-1 Last post on 4/22/13 at 7:38am in High-end Audio Forum
- Looking for Stax SR-009 in Northern California Last post on 5/17/13 at 12:50pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- I´ve been ruined by the Stax SR-009 sound Last post on 4/5/13 at 2:01pm in High-end Audio Forum
Hi, Head-fiers. This is my first post as a newbie in the forum. I will give a short introduction of myself. I am 18 years old currently studying in high-school. I love headphones because...
Build Quality: For something hand built, the overall build quality is quite good. Of course, it isn’t nearly as perfect as something from a plastic molding machine but it is far ahead from the...
Disclaimer: My only other good cans to compare these to are Beyerdynamics DT770 (250). I fully realize this review will be biased because of that. So please keep that in mind. This review is my...
First Impressions: Well, when I first used these, I used them in the same place I'd expect myself to continue using these, on the go from place to place, and while at places outside the...
I bought these this week from amazon.co.uk for £10 including delivery. That's US $15. Packaging, appearance, warranty, euro-nanny knows best: Mine arrived in the small European packaging box,...
BHSE or Aristaeus for SR-009?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Neither. I suspect the BHSE is likely overkill for the SR-009, and the Aristaeus wasn't made to amp any Stax headphones. The Aristaeus is HeadAmp's take on the Orpheus (HEV90) which was an amp for the Senn HE90.
As others have noted, the Aristaeus was voiced with the HE90 in mind primarily. It's going to be a really stereotypically "tubey" (warm, lush, etc.) sounding amp, especially compared to the BHSE which will sound far more transparent.
Whether the Aristaeus is appropriate for the SR-009 or not is entirely up to you. It can certainly drive the SR-009 without any technical problems, but some might feel an amp like that blunts the capabilities of the SR-009. On the other hand, some may feel the SR-009 sounds too thin and/or bright on the BHSE.
My advice would be to try to audition them in person somewhere if at all possible. Otherwise, read a variety of impressions for each amp you're interested in until you get a general idea of what it sounds like paired with the SR-009. Then go with what suits your personal tastes. There are other amps out there to consider: for example a Stax SRM-717, SRM-727 (modded), Liquid Lightning, or Electra. You can also go the DIY route and build / have built a KGSSHV. Also keep in mind your source is going to play a big role. You'll want something really nice to feed into a top-tier Stax chain.
Edit: Speaking from personal experience, I prefer the Liquid Lightning with the SR-009. I'm one of those folks who find the BHSE underwhelming with the SR-009. Others love the pairing. Personally the BHSE would be my first choice for amp with the SR-007.
Here's a good article by Tyll on a few well-known amps: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/listening-great-headphone-amplifiers-and-stax-sr-900
The Aristaeus isn't there, which isn't surprising since [again] it's associated with the HE90 more.
Edited by MuppetFace - 2/15/13 at 2:16am
- BHSE or Aristaeus for SR-009?
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 32 seconds ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones - WORN!!! - new thread - no nudity 2 minutes ago
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!)... 2 minutes ago
- › what are your top 5 RPGs? 3 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 3 minutes ago
- › King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones! 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D7000 Appreciation Society 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica's Take on the Microdriver: ATH-CKN50 and CKN70 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum by iSennheiser
- › [Apollo] IEM Upgrade Cable by Effect Audio by ClieOS
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40FS Precision StudioPhones by UmustBKidn
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by daleb
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by julian67
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by GSARider
- › Denon AH-D600 by johangrb
- › Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II by xEcuToR
- › Sennheiser CX150 Ear-Canal Phones by BadMoose
- › Rhapsodio RDB+ 2v1 by svyr
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe