- 131 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Survey - how much money would you pay for a headphone setup that is guaranteed to be the best out... Last post on Today at 3:29 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Stax 009,boxed MINT Condition..USA Only Last post on 4/16/14 at 4:19am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock Headphone Impressions here, No Mods... Last post on 4/19/14 at 12:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- The best headphones in the world Last post on 4/7/14 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold with Abyss AB-1266 - Head-Fi TV Last post on 4/14/14 at 7:14am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Best i-Device portable DAC ever listened to, very neutral and smooth like from a desktop DAC. Currently using it with my iPod touch 5 (Yes, it's support lightinig connector). I will prefer filter...
The entire Sony xba line is gorgeous: very sensitive and well executed lines, comfortable despite size, flat cable, nice case, a 90'plug. The first time I tried the Xba3 the sound wasn't...
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
BHSE or Aristaeus for SR-009?post #1 of 42/14/13 at 10:14pmThread StarterJust a curiosity because actually im very happy with GES:What are the differences between the BHSE and the Aristaeus?Do you think Aristaeus would be a good candidate for the SR-009?Thank you
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 42/14/13 at 10:19pmpost #3 of 42/14/13 at 11:27pm
Neither. I suspect the BHSE is likely overkill for the SR-009, and the Aristaeus wasn't made to amp any Stax headphones. The Aristaeus is HeadAmp's take on the Orpheus (HEV90) which was an amp for the Senn HE90.post #4 of 42/15/13 at 2:09am
As others have noted, the Aristaeus was voiced with the HE90 in mind primarily. It's going to be a really stereotypically "tubey" (warm, lush, etc.) sounding amp, especially compared to the BHSE which will sound far more transparent.
Whether the Aristaeus is appropriate for the SR-009 or not is entirely up to you. It can certainly drive the SR-009 without any technical problems, but some might feel an amp like that blunts the capabilities of the SR-009. On the other hand, some may feel the SR-009 sounds too thin and/or bright on the BHSE.
My advice would be to try to audition them in person somewhere if at all possible. Otherwise, read a variety of impressions for each amp you're interested in until you get a general idea of what it sounds like paired with the SR-009. Then go with what suits your personal tastes. There are other amps out there to consider: for example a Stax SRM-717, SRM-727 (modded), Liquid Lightning, or Electra. You can also go the DIY route and build / have built a KGSSHV. Also keep in mind your source is going to play a big role. You'll want something really nice to feed into a top-tier Stax chain.
Edit: Speaking from personal experience, I prefer the Liquid Lightning with the SR-009. I'm one of those folks who find the BHSE underwhelming with the SR-009. Others love the pairing. Personally the BHSE would be my first choice for amp with the SR-007.
Here's a good article by Tyll on a few well-known amps: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/listening-great-headphone-amplifiers-and-stax-sr-900
The Aristaeus isn't there, which isn't surprising since [again] it's associated with the HE90 more.
Edited by MuppetFace - 2/15/13 at 2:16am
- BHSE or Aristaeus for SR-009?
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › What's the difference between a DAC and an Amplifier? 9 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 20 seconds ago
- › Samsung Galaxy S5 audio review 2 minutes ago
- › ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Civilian 6n2+fu32 tube headphone amp 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 4 minutes ago
- › The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious... 5 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 7 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally!... 8 minutes ago
- › Fostex HP-P1 by Jensenchua
- › Sony XBA-3SL by squallkiercosa
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob