I am in a little bit of a bind. I need headphones to watch film with Dolby Headphone (or something similar). I have read that generally speaking, the bigger the soundstage of the headphone the more effective it will be in expressing the virtual headphone effect (as in DH). My budget is $100 and what seems to win out in that category is Audio Technica ATH-AD700. What is the best closed back headphones that have the greatest soundstage under $100? Again, my end goal is a virtual surround sound effect on the headphone and I'm assuming that the biggest soundstage headphones will be most desirable for this effect. Any suggestions?
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productGemini HSR1000 Studio Reference Headphonetagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productSR850 Professional Studio Reference Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
- productTechnical Pro HPT990 Professional Headphonetagged by jacksonchansf, 2/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- siberia v2 usb vs sennheiser hd 202 Last post on 11/10/13 at 12:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones around 100$ Last post on 12/7/12 at 11:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which Headphones are better for gaming and music? Last post on 10/14/12 at 2:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones 80$ Music/gaming Last post on 9/17/12 at 2:12am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I just thought I'd write up a review on these headphones. They did a bit getting used to, because the reproduction of sound is so clear and even. Like getting used to a pair of studio monitors...
Its cheap, I got my blue ones for 6 dollars, it sounds good consider, and it is very light weight. I do not know why some people insist this pair is better than 50-100 dollar headphones, it's...
Well, i won't make a long review. Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6....
Do not buy an Astell & Kern 120. It claims 192Gb memory, but it indexes and uses only the internal memory - 64gb. The external SD cards carry files but do not show up on the device. Money spent...
Astell & Kern AKR01 Jimmy Moon at Astell & Kern was kind enough to lend me a pair of AKR01's for review. Big thanks to him. Anyways, review ahead! What are they: I notice that I haven't...
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
Best Soundstage for Dolby Headphone under $100? Closed and Open?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
As you've said, the AD700's have a great soundstage, but I found it lacking when watching movies because the anemic bass. If you're looking for an decent semi-open headphone with good soundstage and bass, the Samson SR850's are a pretty good choice for about $50.00. For a little over $80.00, the Technical Pro HPT990's are a decent option as well.
The Creative Aurvana Live! and the Gemini-HSR 1000's seem to be popular for closed backed under $100 these days. I don't own any of these two but maybe someone can chime in about them?
Hope this helps.
Edited by KetchupNinja - 2/14/13 at 5:13pm
Thank you for the tip about Mad Lusty's page. I've read that before and didn't know if there had been any other opinions. Thanks also for the suggestion about those four headphones. You say that the lack of bass really discouraged you from using them for film, I listen to classical music as well, so this might be a good par? I plan on using a transducer in the chair that I'll watch movies that although doesn't replace good bass response, certainly helps out. Out of the Samson and technical pro, you suggested KetchupNinja, which has the biggest soundstage? Also, how much sound leaks in and out of a semi open, pretty much the same as fully open?
IMO the AD700's are great for classical music. To my ears, the soundstage between the Samson's and the Technical Pro's only differ by small amount. I'd have to give a slight edge to the Technical Pro's though I think it is because of my preference to velour pads to pleather. The sound leakage is not that bad actually, both headphones both don't leak as much as my Grado's that's for sure!
Pretty sure those are open. Same as the Takstar HI2050.
Edited by Vidmaven - 2/25/13 at 7:52am
- Best Soundstage for Dolby Headphone under $100? Closed and Open?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › HifiMan Mango Tree Wood Cups. Fit HE-300 , HE-400 , HE-500 , HE-4, ... 20 seconds ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 26 seconds ago
- › Schiit Lyr with BRAND NEW tubes from Schiit 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC 3 minutes ago
- › Classical musician and music lover trying to decide between... 3 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › RIP Jim Hall 5 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Dunu DN-1000 by Brooko
- › Heir Audio 3.Ai by hapopo
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe