Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Network & Industry News › NEWS: Beats in a lawsuit with Yamaha
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEWS: Beats in a lawsuit with Yamaha - Page 27

post #391 of 489

I completely lost it when I saw the Dr who ad, only thing I could think of was both of those headphones are probably more destructive (to your ears) than a sonic screwdriver (to machines)

post #392 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaechoe View Post

I completely lost it when I saw the Dr who ad, only thing I could think of was both of those headphones are probably more destructive (to your ears) than a sonic screwdriver (to machines)


Yes, but I bet they'd look cool on a Sontaran:)

post #393 of 489

These two companies still going at it?

post #394 of 489

I'm curious about this, too. This could turn into a very long legal battle...

post #395 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post

I'm curious about this, too. This could turn into a very long legal battle...


No news, good news?

 

There does not seem to be any update since Feb 13. I do notice that links to the claim itself have disappeared from several articles I had bookmarked.

post #396 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

Next beats will sue this German drugstore (this is their own-brand shower gel that they frequently re-brand/re-name every few months with new smells/colours etc)
I've never seen such blatant copyright infringement in my life rolleyes.gif

 

 

Trademark infringement you mean.

 

Copyrights, Patents, and Trademarks are all different things, with different laws.  Mixing them up just perpetuates that confusion.

 

I think Beats has an uphill battle on this one from a legal perspective.  To uphold a patent on the shape of a headphone they have to prove that there's no "prior art", as in the shape they chose is unique.  They can only win on trademark infringement if Yamaha is using their name, or their product is truly likely to be confused by a reasonable consumer with the real thing.

post #397 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post

Trademark infringement you mean.

 

Copyrights, Patents, and Trademarks are all different things, with different laws.  Mixing them up just perpetuates that confusion.

 

I think Beats has an uphill battle on this one from a legal perspective.  To uphold a patent on the shape of a headphone they have to prove that there's no "prior art", as in the shape they chose is unique.  They can only win on trademark infringement if Yamaha is using their name, or their product is truly likely to be confused by a reasonable consumer with the real thing.

I actually didn't mix anything up - I simply don't know anything about any of that stuff. evil_smiley.gif

post #398 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
....I think Beats has an uphill battle on this one from a legal perspective.  To uphold a patent on the shape of a headphone they have to prove that there's no "prior art", as in the shape they chose is unique.  They can only win on trademark infringement if Yamaha is using their name, or their product is truly likely to be confused by a reasonable consumer with the real thing.

I concur on this sentiment.  Dr. Dre Beats v. Yamaha Corporation looks heavily tilted in Defendant's favor, as Dre's design-patent evidence is sketchy; earlier posts noted that several manufacturers' headsets fold in a manner consistent with Shure Incorporated's entry-level SRH series headsets, which need portability for use by audio engineers in the field.  On the other hand, British Broadcasting Corporation v. Yamaha Corporation et al. could be open and shut in the BBC's favor, as the PRO 500 magazine advertisement ("Dr....who?") is clearly stepping on the toes of BBC scriptwriters involved in the ongoing sci-fi drama Doctor Who.

post #399 of 489
Lol I was at frys checking out some AKGs for a buddy of mine, and a coworker I noticed was rambling on to his friend about the beats hahahaha I literally dragged him to the Yamaha display and slapped a pair of the 400s on him. Heheheheheh the look on his face was priceless. And he walked out with a pair.
post #400 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by droido256 View Post

Lol I was at frys checking out some AKGs for a buddy of mine, and a coworker I noticed was rambling on to his friend about the beats hahahaha I literally dragged him to the Yamaha display and slapped a pair of the 400s on him. Heheheheheh the look on his face was priceless. And he walked out with a pair.


¡GOL! gs1000.gif More to headsets than meets the eye, after all; with so many budget headsets in similar frames, one needs his ears to pick a winner, something Yamaha® and worthy competitors look for.

post #401 of 489
I have half my family and close friends converted to AKG, my aunt poor thing, thought skull candy headphones were "the best" I facepalmed and let her try my K701 (a rare honor I might add) only one other but her and I have even touched them.
She went for the K412, still has them.
post #402 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

This only re-enforces what we all suspected - beats are only interested in profits, not sound. 

If they were certain of the superiority of the sound quality of their product, they would let the public decide by ear.

 

But their business model is based on merchandising, branding and marketing. They've created something to make people believe they need it. 

There have been a small number of other headphones from VERY small companies that have similar looks to the beats, but as previously mentioned, as soon as a high-roller comes along it's a different story. 


Honestly, from a business stand-point, more power to Beats if they can sell a cheap looking product off as if people "need it."  They're after one thing. Profits.  Mission accomplished. 

post #403 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anewills View Post


Honestly, from a business stand-point, more power to Beats if they can sell a cheap looking product off as if people "need it."  They're after one thing. Profits.  Mission accomplished. 

I agree with your point, but I don't agree with what beats are doing. 
They've done just as much good for the popularization of headphones and portable sound as the bad they have done to damage peoples understanding of what 'good sound' is and the distorted POV of what 'the artist wants you to hear'.

post #404 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

I agree with your point, but I don't agree with what beats are doing. 
They've done just as much good for the popularization of headphones and portable sound as the bad they have done to damage peoples understanding of what 'good sound' is and the distorted POV of what 'the artist wants you to hear'.


Good sound is subjective though.  For a lot of types of what people call "music," ridiculous amounts of bass are what they're after.  Some people judge sound quality based on amounts of bass.  I didn't put this together to recently, and reputable companies wouldn't sell-out and ruin their name to make money.  But, most people don't do their research and are completely misinformed.  So all these quality audio companies are after that limited market of people who do the research.  Beats clearly has tapped into the other "majority," market, and they're making a killing off it. Once again, mission accomplished for them.

post #405 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anewills View Post


Good sound is subjective though.  For a lot of types of what people call "music," ridiculous amounts of bass are what they're after.  Some people judge sound quality based on amounts of bass.  I didn't put this together to recently, and reputable companies wouldn't sell-out and ruin their name to make money.  But, most people don't do their research and are completely misinformed.  So all these quality audio companies are after that limited market of people who do the research.  Beats clearly has tapped into the other "majority," market, and they're making a killing off it. Once again, mission accomplished for them.


I think they call that "Cerwin Vega" syndrome:)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Head-Fi Network & Industry News
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Network & Industry News › NEWS: Beats in a lawsuit with Yamaha