Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Jazz Guitar Amp-Fi
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jazz Guitar Amp-Fi

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Any jazzers reading? After buying and/or trying a few jazz guitar amps, I found the holy grail. An Evans RE200. http://www.evansamps.com/products/amplifiers/re200  I dig that fat, round, warm tone like Wes, early Benson, Burrell, Pat Martino. Tubes can totally do it, but I didn't want to lug a heavy amp around. (heavy being anything over 40 pounds). If you have never heard the Evan RE200, it is amazing, and weighs in at 27 pounds. I've only had mine for about a 5 weeks now, and I'm more happy with it as time goes by. It does take a lot of understanding, as the control are not like a typical EQ. But, once you get familiar with it, it is just plain fantastic. (I play a Barney Jazzmaker Deluxe http://www.barneyguitars.com/jazzmakerdeluxe.htm and a Gibson LeGrand.)

post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNine View Post

Any jazzers reading? After buying and/or trying a few jazz guitar amps, I found the holy grail. An Evans RE200. http://www.evansamps.com/products/amplifiers/re200  I dig that fat, round, warm tone like Wes, early Benson, Burrell, Pat Martino. Tubes can totally do it, but I didn't want to lug a heavy amp around. (heavy being anything over 40 pounds). If you have never heard the Evan RE200, it is amazing, and weighs in at 27 pounds. I've only had mine for about a 5 weeks now, and I'm more happy with it as time goes by. It does take a lot of understanding, as the control are not like a typical EQ. But, once you get familiar with it, it is just plain fantastic. (I play a Barney Jazzmaker Deluxe http://www.barneyguitars.com/jazzmakerdeluxe.htm and a Gibson LeGrand.)


Cool thread !

 

I used to be a guitarist, a very mediocre one, but now I'm a four stringer . I mostly use Phil Jones amps, they're great.

 

Have you tried swart amps?

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post


Cool thread !

 

I used to be a guitarist, a very mediocre one, but now I'm a four stringer . I mostly use Phil Jones amps, they're great.

 

Have you tried swart amps?

 

Haven't heard of Swart. I did spend much time with the Henriksen, AER, Acoutic Image, Ultrasound, Roland, plus many Fender tubes amps. I owned some in that list, or had friends who own them. The Fender Twin would be a favorite if it wasn't so freaking heavy. But now, even if the Twin weighed much less, I'd still choose the Evans. It is just so versatile and sweet sounding, that you'd swear it was a tube amp. I remember way back, like 30 years ago, I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a Marshall half-stack. I can't imagine lugging that around these days!

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNine View Post

 

Haven't heard of Swart. I did spend much time with the Henriksen, AER, Acoutic Image, Ultrasound, Roland, plus many Fender tubes amps. I owned some in that list, or had friends who own them. The Fender Twin would be a favorite if it wasn't so freaking heavy. But now, even if the Twin weighed much less, I'd still choose the Evans. It is just so versatile and sweet sounding, that you'd swear it was a tube amp. I remember way back, like 30 years ago, I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a Marshall half-stack. I can't imagine lugging that around these days!


Yeah I know what it's like... A friend of mine used to let me borrow his ampeg svt. This thing weighed as much as a dead horse.

 

That's what I like with phil jones, they can weigh next to nothing and they're very close to being dead neutral.

Their hp's are very good, too...

 

Do you study in any kind of school? Private teacher?

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post


Yeah I know what it's like... A friend of mine used to let me borrow his ampeg svt. This thing weighed as much as a dead horse.

 

That's what I like with phil jones, they can weigh next to nothing and they're very close to being dead neutral.

Their hp's are very good, too...

 

Do you study in any kind of school? Private teacher?

 

Carry an Ampeg SVT? Isn't that why olympic power lifting was created? biggrin.gif

 

As a kid, I had a wonderful teacher (Joe Torello) that was very methodical. I took lessons with him from 1970 through 1978, at which point I quit because I wanted to do the rock thing. Oddly enough I ended up in an already gigging wedding band for 3 years. I grew up listening to classic jazz because my dad was a jazz head. As an adult, I had an ever growing love for jazz and decided to seek out a good jazz teacher. As a result, I study with Tony Lomdardozzi, who is a monster player and monster teacher as well. It's not that often someone can do both. Tony has played with everyone from Frank Sinatra to Ray Charles (3+ years) and is currently playing/recording with Giacomo Gates.

post #6 of 8

my holy grail of jazz guitar amps

 

http://www.requisiteaudio.com/gallery/standel-gallery/

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saowin111 View Post

my holy grail of jazz guitar amps

 

http://www.requisiteaudio.com/gallery/standel-gallery/

 

Sweet! Do you own one? What guitar are you using?

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNine View Post

 

Sweet! Do you own one? What guitar are you using?

no, unfortunately not. i've been looking for an original, but they are quite pricey and rarely come up. not sure how good the remakes are. i spoke to the owner of the reissue company - he's in pro audio, and a big audiophile, but i guess i still want the original.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Jazz Guitar Amp-Fi