Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › XB500/700 ALTERNATIVE ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

XB500/700 ALTERNATIVE ? - Page 2

post #16 of 32

M50 isn't really that bassy, why I sold mine.

post #17 of 32
Thread Starter 

I wish someone wouldve told me that before i bought them lol , oh well.They still sound really great though.


Edited by deeo - 2/16/13 at 10:01am
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeo View Post

I wish someone wouldve told me that before i bought them lol , oh well.They still sound really great though.

 

I did...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

 

Most likely you're going to be disappointed with the bass coming from XB series, there are plenty of other options which comes close to XB levels quantity while overall sounding much more refined;

 

- M-Audio Q40, Nuforce HP-800, Audio Technica Solid Bass series (The new WS99 seems really great but slightly above your budget and WS70 and WS55 are also pretty decent), Utrasone HFI-580, Spider PowerForce, Audio Technica PRO 700MK2, Denon D1100 (personally not liking the Denon's sound at all but it still does technically quite great).

 

EDIT: I actually forgot to mention the JVC HA-S500, these lowcost, around XB500 price segment is actually way better sounding headphone while still packing a quite large amount of bass, obviously not XB levels but I'd still put it like "basshead" standards and definitely noticeably more than M50.

 

Yes all these costs slightly more but my recommendation, either up the budget or save your money until you can afford the step-up as you won't find any noteworthy upgrades unless stepping up to that price segment.

 
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeo View Post

My m50's came in the mail today , so far i gotta say they sound really nice and clear , but i expected a little more bass to be honest..

 

What DAp are you using? Do you have an amp? EQing it a little might help bring out a little more bass without sacrificing the mid-range.

post #20 of 32
Thread Starter 

I dont have an AMP , but i plan on gettin one when i save up some money (would a cheap amp work ?) ..And to be honest i dont know how to EQ it properly , this is like a whole new world to me.

 

EDIT: I actually hear a lot more bass now , i realized my hair was in the way the whole time and i also listened at a low volume levels because someone told me not to play music loud when u first get your headphones so i was kinda scared..But if im listening at like 75% i can hear the bass way better.


Edited by deeo - 2/17/13 at 6:02am
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeo View Post

I dont have an AMP , but i plan on gettin one when i save up some money (would a cheap amp work ?) ..And to be honest i dont know how to EQ it properly , this is like a whole new world to me.

 

EDIT: I actually hear a lot more bass now , i realized my hair was in the way the whole time and i also listened at a low volume levels because someone told me not to play music loud when u first get your headphones so i was kinda scared..But if im listening at like 75% i can hear the bass way better.

 

It'll break in more and more with some good hours on 'em. See if the bass still doesn't pop out like you want it to after a 100 hours or so, and if it doesn't then maybe I would look into an amp but most likely you'll hear it soon enough.

post #22 of 32
Thread Starter 
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeo View Post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560315/ath-m50s-flatter-bass-after-burn-in-can-the-subs-bust. Everyone says something different im confused -___-

 

I think that might have something to do with the fact that the user had it paired with an E5 on max volume. If you saw further down in that thread, someone mentioned the DigiZoid O2 which is widely known to enhance the bass of any pair of headphones (but with sacrifice to the mids though). I would give the M50's a shot, and if you have some extra cash lying around try and see how they do with the O2. I have a hard time seeing that you end up not liking the M50's alone as it is anyways.

post #24 of 32
Thread Starter 
Dude thank you so much for your help,i really appreciate it.But i just figured out what it was,i tried to plug my m50s into my phone , and it nearly scared me,because there was like 10x more bass(or however you say it)than there was when i listen thru my desktop ..Im really dumb for not trying this earlier but i really thought that wouldnt be the problem..So the problem was in my soundcard right ? Will an Amp fix this ? I am so happy i got the m50s now that i know what they really sound like. beyersmile.png
Edited by deeo - 2/18/13 at 5:08pm
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeo View Post

Dude thank you so much for your help,i really appreciate it.But i just figured out what it was,i tried to plug my m50s into my phone , and it nearly scared me,because there was like 10x more bass(or however you say it)than there was when i listen thru my desktop ..Im really dumb for not trying this earlier but i really thought that wouldnt be the problem..So the problem was in my soundcard right ? Will an Amp fix this ? I am so happy i got the m50s now that i know what they really sound like. beyersmile.png

 

M50 seems like weird headphones, out of my old soundcard (an Audigy 1) it sounded weird like left driver was broken as it rattled but it was fine with my Audigy 2 ZS? What's up with this headphone, seems really picky about the sources for some reason? ^^

 

That there's like 10x more bass with the phone (lol) vs soundcard (even if onboard) sounds also weird. :P


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 2/19/13 at 12:29am
post #26 of 32
Thread Starter 
I swear to god that there is more bass when i plug them into my phone,not ten times more obviously, but it actually is a pretty huge difference..My PC is relatively old,so the soundcard might be messed up or something..I dont know.
Edited by deeo - 2/19/13 at 4:28am
post #27 of 32
Thread Starter 

Should i buy a DAC to get the same/better sound when i listen thru my desktop ? 


Edited by deeo - 2/20/13 at 3:22am
post #28 of 32

I use my M50s with my Ipod classic.  In my opinion using a line out and an amp is essential.  I find my E11 works almost as well as my hornet.  The honet was about 5 times more expensive.  The line out however is essential with the Ipod.  Have not used them with my Iphone.

post #29 of 32

I have both Sonys you mention and got some M-Audio Q-40's a few weeks back.  Haven't put the Sonys back on much.  Great price as well.  Thumping bass.  Love them.  

post #30 of 32

I don't find line out to be essential to enjoying an amp but it will help. A portable amp would definitely increase the SQ and bass of the M50's. To what extent, I'm not actually sure, but I think in the future one would be quite the companion for your M50's.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › XB500/700 ALTERNATIVE ?