New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-moda M100 or M80

post #1 of 55
Thread Starter 
Hi Head Fi! I'm having a hard time chosing between the two.
I have a HD 439 which satisfied my taste of Jazz and all rounder music genre. But it seems that V moda will be a suppliment for my taste of EDM, chillstep, dubstep, hiphop and stuff. But I can't really decide between these 2 pair, since I never tried them. So in your opinion, which is better for these genre?
Also, I have a Fiio E6 hooked with my macbook air, as well as a iPod nano 5gen for on the go.
post #2 of 55

If you can afford the M-80, then just go ahead and get the M-100.  For $310 you get an extra set of engraved shields and a pair of Faders ear plugs.

post #3 of 55
Thread Starter 

I don't really get your point. I mean, what's the different, in term of SQ, between these headphone. And which is better for my taste. I find thumping bass is good, but not too boosted (which can give a headache really soon) and not sacrifice clarity (which is important in R&B and vocal chillstep and stuff). 

post #4 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pss395 View Post

I don't really get your point. I mean, what's the different, in term of SQ, between these headphone. And which is better for my taste. I find thumping bass is good, but not too boosted (which can give a headache really soon) and not sacrifice clarity (which is important in R&B and vocal chillstep and stuff). 

 

If you can wait until the weekend, I can do a full comparison between the two.  Let me know if you want me to do this.

post #5 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

If you can wait until the weekend, I can do a full comparison between the two.  Let me know if you want me to do this.

Definitely! :D I'm not it a rush or something!

I bet there're many folks out there wanting for this comparison, since M-80's reputation is quite well.

Maybe you should start a new thread and link me to that, so people won't be distracted by my request lol. 

post #6 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pss395 View Post

Definitely! :D I'm not it a rush or something!

I bet there're many folks out there wanting for this comparison, since M-80's reputation is quite well.

Maybe you should start a new thread and link me to that, so people won't be distracted by my request lol. 

 

OK, I'll do the comparison this weekend when I get home.  I would do it now (since I do technically have time), but I don't have the M80s here :(  

post #7 of 55
Thread Starter 

It's okay though, 'cause it takes time to do serious stuff haha

post #8 of 55

Yeah, that will be good to have a comparison of the two, but trust me, I am pretty sure you will end up picking the M-100.

post #9 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post

Yeah, that will be good to have a comparison of the two, but trust me, I am pretty sure you will end up picking the M-100.

Yeah, I hope so! :D but the M-80 with that widely accepted sound signature is still make me curious about it. :D I'm not audiophile, just merely enjoy my music. But I do hope that my can sound good, pretty much detailed ('cause I'm pretty amazed with what Sennheiser did with their headphone), as well as good bass (quality, lil' bit of quantity, fast and detailed which suitable for EDM and chillstep and stuff). Clarity, soundstage... all kind of stuff need to be good (is that too much? lol) so it could give the song the most finest feeling out of it. I don't really care if it's flat or not, just good sounding is good. 

Yeah, basically I really looking forward to spend money on a can that sound good with almost all type of music, but really hit the sweet spot on some particular type (like I mentioned above). And my HD 439 will be a good supplement with more laid back and all around relaxed tonal sound lol =)

Lol I'm so looking forward to the comparison between these two babe! :D

post #10 of 55
Believe it or not, the M-100 is actually NOT an audiophile quality headphones, but it gives so much more live to your music you just won't care. And from what I heard from the other is that the M-100 beats the M-80 hands down. So if you like the M-80, than I am pretty that you will like the M-100 even more.
post #11 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post

Believe it or not, the M-100 is actually NOT an audiophile quality headphones, but it gives so much more live to your music you just won't care. And from what I heard from the other is that the M-100 beats the M-80 hands down. So if you like the M-80, than I am pretty that you will like the M-100 even more.

 

I would say they are audiophile headphones, I can see some audiophiles enjoying them.  Are they accurate (flat)?  No, the M80 would be better for that :p  As for musical qualities, the M100 should beat the M80 in everything but the lower midrange detailing.

post #12 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

I would say they are audiophile headphones, I can see some audiophiles enjoying them.  Are they accurate (flat)?  No, the M80 would be better for that :p  As for musical qualities, the M100 should beat the M80 in everything but the lower midrange detailing.

That's exactly what I mean.  The reason I said what I said was because the M-100 wasn't flat.  However, that doesn't mean they sounded off or bad at all.  I have 2 pairs myself and love every minute of it.

post #13 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post

That's exactly what I mean.  The reason I said what I said was because the M-100 wasn't flat.  However, that doesn't mean they sounded off or bad at all.  I have 2 pairs myself and love every minute of it.

 

Two pairs?  Isn't that a little overkill? :p  JK.  And yes, they are definitely not flat, but still tuned extremely well.  

post #14 of 55

Based on frequency characteristics only, my fairly extensive listening experience with these phones puts the M100 above the M80 when you don't have the option to EQ either of them.  The high-end rolloff on the M80 makes them sound fairly dull next to the M100.

 

When you can EQ the phones, it turns out that M80 is a bit easier to EQ, and the difference between them becomes much smaller.  In fact, it is possible to EQ the M80's sound to mimic a much more high-end phone, whereas the M100 has a distinct sound signature that cannot easily be changed.   Of course, using EQ means you have to do something special with your playback system (use an app on a smartphone, Rockbox, or a laptop).

 

None of the above talks about imaging, though.  I'd be curious to hear other's opinions on a soundstage comparison of these two headphones.  

 

Oh, and in my case, I've got two pairs of the M80s and one pair of the M100s.  The M80s hit that sweet spot of sound quality, portability, sound isolation (some but not two much), and looks when I'm out and about.  

post #15 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post

Based on frequency characteristics only, my fairly extensive listening experience with these phones puts the M100 above the M80 when you don't have the option to EQ either of them.  The high-end rolloff on the M80 makes them sound fairly dull next to the M100.

When you can EQ the phones, it turns out that M80 is a bit easier to EQ, and the difference between them becomes much smaller.  In fact, it is possible to EQ the M80's sound to mimic a much more high-end phone, whereas the M100 has a distinct sound signature that cannot easily be changed.   Of course, using EQ means you have to do something special with your playback system (use an app on a smartphone, Rockbox, or a laptop).

None of the above talks about imaging, though.  I'd be curious to hear other's opinions on a soundstage comparison of these two headphones.  

Oh, and in my case, I've got two pairs of the M80s and one pair of the M100s.  The M80s hit that sweet spot of sound quality, portability, sound isolation (some but not two much), and looks when I'm out and about.  
Cool! I think I'll only use them with my amp, not really touch the EQ area, so what you mentioned is really helpful!
And by the way, are the M-100 superior in playing bass music, as well as electronic? Because that's my main purpose of using 'em lol
Really nice review! Lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: