Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › A good upgrade from HRT Music Streamer Pro for under 1K?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A good upgrade from HRT Music Streamer Pro for under 1K?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

Hello my head-fi'ers, I have a limited knowledge when it comes to dedicated DACs, so please excuse my random noobness when I said something dumb tongue.gif.

 

First of all, I know this forum is about head cans, and I'm running bookshelf speakers instead. But this is like the only forum where I can find reviews on the DACs that I have interests with, so I thought I should give it a try tongue.gif

 

My current setup is PC -> MS-Pro -> Qinpu A6000 mini tube amp -> Ascend Sierra 1 with NRT upgrades. If anyone happens to have something similar to my setup, please shed me some lights!!

 

OK, so I'm looking to upgrade my MS-Pro, and have been lurking around a few threads here and there trying to find some comparisons between the MS-Pro and other non usb-powered DACs, but no luck so far.

 

After reading a few more threads, I've came across the Yulong D100 MKII, and the D18/U18 combo, both has excellent reviews and price/performance ratio. But does any one have any idea of how they are compared to the MS-Pro, and does it worth the upgrade? If yes, should I start off with the D100 MKII or go straight to the D18/U18 combo, and call it a day? What I'm thinking is that since I'll be using these devices for just pure DAC purpose, would my money be better spent if I go with the D18/U18 combo? (Since the D100 MKII is more like a hybrid of DAC and amp)

 

Any help would be appreciated, I'm also open for other suggestions other than the Yulongs.

 

Thanks!!

post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxlap1xx View Post
 

[...]

OK, so I'm looking to upgrade my MS-Pro, and have been lurking around a few threads here and there trying to find some comparisons between the MS-Pro and other non usb-powered DACs, but no luck so far.

[...]

 

Since the MS Pro is audibly transparent, no other device can more more transparent. What do you want from an upgrade?

 

I have no experience with the product, but the CEntrance DACMini CX gets good reviews.

post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 

When you say transparent, do you mean the sound is realistic, detailed, and picks up every little things from the source (sorry for noobing you xD)? I gotta say that the MS-Pro sounds very good, especially the highs, and the details are awesome too.

 

I think what I'm looking for is smoothness, non-harsh, kind of sound. Where the music can flow through your ear smoothly even at high volume. Don't get me wrong, the MS-Pro is actually doing a excellent job in these areas already, but I thought there are some DACs out there that can take it to the next level.

post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlap1xx View Post

When you say transparent, do you mean the sound is realistic, detailed, and picks up every little things from the source (sorry for noobing you xD)? I gotta say that the MS-Pro sounds very good, especially the highs, and the details are awesome too.

 

I like the last description you provided: transparent means "picks up every little thing from the source." Personally, I would have said: The DAC converts the digital audio to analog without altering the sound at all. The sound will realistic and detailed if the source audio is realistic and detailed.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlap1xx View Post

I think what I'm looking for is smoothness, non-harsh, kind of sound. Where the music can flow through your ear smoothly even at high volume. Don't get me wrong, the MS-Pro is actually doing a excellent job in these areas already, but I thought there are some DACs out there that can take it to the next level.

 

What you seem to be describing is a DAC which smooths the rough edges of the audio -- IOW, it "colors" the sound.

 

If I don't misunderstand, and you really are looking for colored sound, you might consider using an equalizer with your MS-Pro. It's cheaper (but maybe not easier) to tweak EQ settings than replace a DAC or amp.

 

Final useless suggestion: maybe a different pair of headphones? When I look for smooth and non-harsh sound, I listen with my Sennheiser HD-650 which seems, to me, to provide "refined" and "polite" audio. They never seem harsh. (Still, my Grado SR325is now gets much more ear-time than the '650; I don't consider it polite, refined, or smooth. But I like it.)

post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

 

I like the last description you provided: transparent means "picks up every little thing from the source." Personally, I would have said: The DAC converts the digital audio to analog without altering the sound at all. The sound will realistic and detailed if the source audio is realistic and detailed.

 

I see, thanks for the clarification.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

What you seem to be describing is a DAC which smooths the rough edges of the audio -- IOW, it "colors" the sound.

 

If I don't misunderstand, and you really are looking for colored sound, you might consider using an equalizer with your MS-Pro. It's cheaper (but maybe not easier) to tweak EQ settings than replace a DAC or amp.

 

 

True, and actually I'm already playing with the EQ for a while (in foobar), and I couldn't go back to flat.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

 

Final useless suggestion: maybe a different pair of headphones? When I look for smooth and non-harsh sound, I listen with my Sennheiser HD-650 which seems, to me, to provide "refined" and "polite" audio. They never seem harsh. (Still, my Grado SR325is now gets much more ear-time than the '650; I don't consider it polite, refined, or smooth. But I like it.)

 

 

It's not useless at all lol, any suggestion helps. The thing is that I'm actually running bookshelf speakers instead of headphones (don't flame me, I already stated in OP xD). Anyways, the thing is that my speakers are just a few weeks old, so I can't really consider another pair until a year or two later at least. Though, I do agree with you, because I think swapping speakers makes the most differences.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › A good upgrade from HRT Music Streamer Pro for under 1K?