Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Do any of the music streaming services not have absolutely terrible audio quality?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do any of the music streaming services not have absolutely terrible audio quality?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

At work I use a combination of Pandora and Rhapsody for my music,  Pandora for "radio" and Rhapsody when I want to hear a particular album.  It's shocking how large the difference is between Pandora One (192K AAC) versus . . . whatever Rhapsody is using, which to my ears sounds like the 128K cbr mp3's I had in college.  This is doubly annoying since their mobile apps let you download full albums at much higher quality, so it's not a source issue.

 

It's gotten to the point where it's just intolerable. Do any of the other streaming music services do better?  What do others around here use?


Edited by Chu - 2/12/13 at 11:36pm
post #2 of 13

1. MOG

2. Spotify

post #3 of 13

Make sure you are using the high quality option Rhapsody offers.  Much better than the standard version.  Especially if you are downloading music to devices.  Just make sure to do so over wireless so as to not use all your data allotment.

post #4 of 13

I stream all my music through my Synology NAS. I love having my collection with me anywhere I go. They have ios and android apps in addition to streaming through any internet browser. If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, you might want to look into a setup like that. You can even stream lossless files assuming you have enough upload bandwidth.

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post

1. MOG

2. Spotify

+1

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioking59 View Post

I stream all my music through my Synology NAS. I love having my collection with me anywhere I go. They have ios and android apps in addition to streaming through any internet browser. If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, you might want to look into a setup like that. You can even stream lossless files assuming you have enough upload bandwidth.

 

I think you are talking about streaming music that is already in your own collection. I'm guessing the OP is talking about streaming music that the OP doesn't already own, which is something completely different...


Edited by StratocasterMan - 2/13/13 at 11:14am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post

 

I think you are talking about streaming music that is already in your own collection. I'm guessing the OP is talking about streaming music that the OP doesn't already own, which is something completely different...

 

He asked what others use at work and I told him...sorry.


Edited by Radioking59 - 2/13/13 at 11:55am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post

1. MOG

2. Spotify

 

Yes. These both stream at 320 and are of the highest in the industry I believe. My vote hands down goes to MOG though over Spotify, maybe the upcoming Daisy Project could bring about higher SQ?
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bones View Post

These both stream at 320 and are of the highest in the industry I believe.

 

The Qobuz streaming service has a losless quality subscription and it's the only one I know.

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashira View Post

 

The Qobuz streaming service has a losless quality subscription and it's the only one I know.

 

I guess I am proven wrong. I will have to check that service out, seems quite enticing with that type of subscription.

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bones View Post

 

I guess I am proven wrong. I will have to check that service out, seems quite enticing with that type of subscription.

 

That may be a little difficult if you live in the U.S. As far as I know, their web site is in French and I don't think their service is meant for U.S. customers. By using Google, you can find instructions for buying downloadable music from their web site even though it's in French, but I don't know if it's possible to subscribe to their streaming service in the U.S. It might be, but it's probably not going to be very easy or practical. 

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post

 

That may be a little difficult if you live in the U.S. As far as I know, their web site is in French and I don't think their service is meant for U.S. customers. By using Google, you can find instructions for buying downloadable music from their web site even though it's in French, but I don't know if it's possible to subscribe to their streaming service in the U.S. It might be, but it's probably not going to be very easy or practical. 

 

True. I couldn't find an English translation for the site but there are a bit of tutorials out there for native English speakers to navigate throughout the site to buy music/subscribe. Looks like quite the deal if French is your native tongue, but I'll stick to MOG in the meantime.

post #13 of 13

I realize this is an old thread, but thought I would mention that Qobuz announced late this month (October 2013) that they will soon be reducing prices for their CD-quality streaming by about one-third. I use this service, and enjoy it immensely. I signed up from Canada and paid using a Canadian PayPal account.They also announced expansion to a number of new countries. I have never encountered geoblocking using their streaming service in Canada or in Brazil (where I spend most of my time). 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Do any of the music streaming services not have absolutely terrible audio quality?