The weight is the same issue here as when Stax used the Lambda headband with the SR-Omega. They broke quite frequently but I haven't heard of any failures with the 009 though.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- New York Audio Show 2014 Last post on 10/22/14 at 11:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Review and comparison: Focal Spirit Classic & Sennheiser HD380Pro Last post on 10/21/14 at 12:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- High-end Headphone Decision Last post on 9/26/14 at 9:26am in High-end Audio Forum
- **Flagship HP Mini Review** Last post on 8/4/14 at 3:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Delivery times, BHSE, Cavalli LL Mk2, EC Electra, Woo WES and "customer service". Last post on 7/13/14 at 7:06pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
I picked these up off ebay a few weeks ago for 5 $ so my expectations were not high but to my surprise i think that i found a new pair of daily drivers, as i have said i have collected a fairly...
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Mods for SR-009 - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The weight of this headband is 0.6.98lb alone, and with the ear cups the overall weight is 1.10.22lb, so my 009's are now heavier headphones.
But with the band being wider than normal, that weight is supported better which makes my 009's very comfortable.
For the asking price of the 009's when they first came out, the headband should've been better built and looking. If I was able to design an headphone, I'd have the headband with similar looks to the one I have, but it would be made of carbon fibre with suede on the inside like I have on my headband.
Carbon fibre is extremely strong, light and I think it would go well with the Aluminium ear cups.
Hopefully the SR-011 might have a carbon fibre headband that has a similar shape to the one I have.
Sony SA5000's headband looks nice to try. Should much weightless then alu. plates.
Or you may get a Sony SA1000, they're $99 on Amazon US or £85 on Amazon UK.
Edited by palchiu - 5/23/13 at 3:24am
Looks great David. Well done.
I might have to consider doing this myself!
IMO the SR-009 headband has a critical design flaw and for such an expensive headphone is extremely poorly made. Personally I have never experienced any issues with Stax build quality except due to age (ie 20/30 year old models) when the plastic gets brittle.
I have a set of 009's which are just 18 months old, and the plastic clips which hold the headband in place have BOTH fractured
They are used most days and are always handled with great care.
I believe this is due to a combination of the weight of the ear capsules and very poor construction quality of these plastic clips.
I would be interested to know if any other regular users of the SR-009 have experienced similar issues?
I realize I am a but late to this party, but want to mention I had the exact same thing happen with my SR-507. I was not as unfortunate as you, as only one of mine broke. I looked around for a while to find someone who could use my unbroken part as a template to build me a new set out of metal. In the end it wasn't worth the cost, as I found the headband very uncomfortable. Instead I chose to replace it with a SR-202 headband.
Not only do my new look 009's feel extremely comfortable, but to me they are now one of the best looking headphones I've ever seen.
The new band also feels very strong and secure, so I'm not worried about anything breaking, however if anything did happen, I'd just sort out another band and do the same to that as I did with the one I have.
I don't think I'll ever be 100% happy with the SQ from the 009's, but there's no way I'll ever get rid of mine, I like the look and feel of them too much.
So what's the problem with the SQ?
I've mentioned it before, which is with some songs I listen to, they are uncomfortable even at my normal listening volume. Fortunately most of the songs in my collection do sound pretty amazing with the 009 / BHSE.
- Mods for SR-009
- › Any good IEMs for around $250? 1 minute ago
- › RWAK 120-s vs AK 240? 1 minute ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Ibasso Oriolus Hybrid iem 9 minutes ago
- › How Head-fi has helped you on your audiophile journey 11 minutes ago
- › What pisses you off while you listening music? 11 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 11 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 11 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5D may be the king of Portable AMP/DACs in its price point. 12 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio L2 14 minutes ago
- › Shure SE110 Sound Isolating Earphone with Balanced Armature Driver... by umhhmm
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)