The weight is the same issue here as when Stax used the Lambda headband with the SR-Omega. They broke quite frequently but I haven't heard of any failures with the 009 though.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- The best headphones in the world Last post on 3/7/14 at 12:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold with Abyss AB-1266 - Head-Fi TV Last post on 3/4/14 at 7:57am in High-end Audio Forum
- How many pairs of Headphones did you purchase before you found "The one"? Last post on 1/20/14 at 11:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- B&W P7 vs NAD VISO HP50 Last post on 2/10/14 at 12:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Going from Sennheiser HD800 to Stax SR-009? Last post on 11/19/13 at 11:25am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
Mods for SR-009 - Page 7post #91 of 1595/22/13 at 8:30am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 1595/22/13 at 8:42ampost #93 of 1595/22/13 at 11:03am
To try and improve the look of this new headband, I was going to incorporate some carbon fibre, however because I found it hard to get hold of in the shape I wanted, I decided not to bother and just glued black leather on the top and inside the band. On the inside I put the suede part showing of extra comfort.
Because I think it best illustrates how the 009's look with the new headband, I've taken two photos of myself wearing them.
Yes, I have a slight look of Jean-Luc Picard.post #94 of 1595/22/13 at 11:41ampost #95 of 1595/22/13 at 1:32pmpost #96 of 1595/22/13 at 7:01pmpost #97 of 1595/23/13 at 1:00am
The weight of this headband is 0.6.98lb alone, and with the ear cups the overall weight is 1.10.22lb, so my 009's are now heavier headphones.
But with the band being wider than normal, that weight is supported better which makes my 009's very comfortable.
For the asking price of the 009's when they first came out, the headband should've been better built and looking. If I was able to design an headphone, I'd have the headband with similar looks to the one I have, but it would be made of carbon fibre with suede on the inside like I have on my headband.
Carbon fibre is extremely strong, light and I think it would go well with the Aluminium ear cups.
Hopefully the SR-011 might have a carbon fibre headband that has a similar shape to the one I have.post #98 of 1595/23/13 at 3:18am
Sony SA5000's headband looks nice to try. Should much weightless then alu. plates.
Or you may get a Sony SA1000, they're $99 on Amazon US or £85 on Amazon UK.
Edited by palchiu - 5/23/13 at 3:24ampost #99 of 1595/23/13 at 7:45am
Looks great David. Well done.post #100 of 1595/25/13 at 8:27am
While I was happy with the shape and feel of my headband for the 009's, I listened to them for a couple of hours the other day and with the extra weight, they did start to feel slightly uncomfortable after around hour an half.
So I've taken the leather and aluminium off the band and just glued some more leather on.
The band alone now weighs 0.300lb, but with the aluminium it was 0.698lb, I've weighed the Stax band and it's 0.210lb, so there's not that much difference between the Stax and the one I have now.
Here are some photos of how the headband now looks, which will also be staying that way.
The bottom photo was taken to show that I've made the suede part of the leather showing, I find suede on my shaven head is a lot more comfortable than the leather side.
I'll be doing something to the gap between the leather, but once that's done, my quest for having a different headband will be complete.
Edited by David1961 - 5/25/13 at 8:32ampost #101 of 1598/26/13 at 5:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by complin
I might have to consider doing this myself!
IMO the SR-009 headband has a critical design flaw and for such an expensive headphone is extremely poorly made. Personally I have never experienced any issues with Stax build quality except due to age (ie 20/30 year old models) when the plastic gets brittle.
I have a set of 009's which are just 18 months old, and the plastic clips which hold the headband in place have BOTH fractured
They are used most days and are always handled with great care.
I believe this is due to a combination of the weight of the ear capsules and very poor construction quality of these plastic clips.
I would be interested to know if any other regular users of the SR-009 have experienced similar issues?
I realize I am a but late to this party, but want to mention I had the exact same thing happen with my SR-507. I was not as unfortunate as you, as only one of mine broke. I looked around for a while to find someone who could use my unbroken part as a template to build me a new set out of metal. In the end it wasn't worth the cost, as I found the headband very uncomfortable. Instead I chose to replace it with a SR-202 headband.post #102 of 1598/29/13 at 10:52amI've been using the new headband I did for my 009's for just over 3 months, and I couldn't be happier.
Not only do my new look 009's feel extremely comfortable, but to me they are now one of the best looking headphones I've ever seen.
The new band also feels very strong and secure, so I'm not worried about anything breaking, however if anything did happen, I'd just sort out another band and do the same to that as I did with the one I have.
I don't think I'll ever be 100% happy with the SQ from the 009's, but there's no way I'll ever get rid of mine, I like the look and feel of them too much.post #103 of 1598/31/13 at 12:16pm
So what's the problem with the SQ?post #104 of 1598/31/13 at 12:27pmpost #105 of 1598/31/13 at 1:13pm
I've mentioned it before, which is with some songs I listen to, they are uncomfortable even at my normal listening volume. Fortunately most of the songs in my collection do sound pretty amazing with the 009 / BHSE.
- Mods for SR-009
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 35 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › [Impression] FiiO X3 – High Fi, Low Price. 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** 2 minutes ago
- › The "IEMs That Significantly Perform BELOW Their Price Point" Thread 3 minutes ago
- › CanOpener? 4 minutes ago
- › Will the Fiio E18 portable AMP make my S4 really loud? 4 minutes ago
- › Need help choosing a pair of IEMs to complete starting setup. 4 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 311 IEMs compared (HiSoundAudio BA100 added... 5 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude