The weight is the same issue here as when Stax used the Lambda headband with the SR-Omega. They broke quite frequently but I haven't heard of any failures with the 009 though.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 3/2/13
Related Forum Threads
- B&W P7 vs NAD VISO HP50 Last post on 12/2/13 at 11:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- I'e done my due diligence so far......... Last post on 11/13/13 at 6:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I'm new at all this and not a sophisticated audiophile... Last post on 11/9/13 at 7:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for the Stax SR 009 experience Last post on 11/7/13 at 7:26am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for the Stax SR 009 experience... Last post on 11/7/13 at 7:21am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/28/12
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
I have owned the ECP Audio L-2 for about 2 months now. I also own an Eddie Current Super 7 with NOS tubes, including Tung Sol BGRP driver tube. I have previously owned the Woo WA22, the Luxman...
I'm a noob to high quality audio equipment. I have been using V-Moda M-80's. I bought these because they were onsale for $272, and it would be stupid not to buy them at that price. I just opened...
Mods for SR-009 - Page 7post #91 of 1525/22/13 at 8:30am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 1525/22/13 at 8:42ampost #93 of 1525/22/13 at 11:03am
To try and improve the look of this new headband, I was going to incorporate some carbon fibre, however because I found it hard to get hold of in the shape I wanted, I decided not to bother and just glued black leather on the top and inside the band. On the inside I put the suede part showing of extra comfort.
Because I think it best illustrates how the 009's look with the new headband, I've taken two photos of myself wearing them.
Yes, I have a slight look of Jean-Luc Picard.post #94 of 1525/22/13 at 11:41ampost #95 of 1525/22/13 at 1:32pmpost #96 of 1525/22/13 at 7:01pmpost #97 of 1525/23/13 at 1:00am
The weight of this headband is 0.6.98lb alone, and with the ear cups the overall weight is 1.10.22lb, so my 009's are now heavier headphones.
But with the band being wider than normal, that weight is supported better which makes my 009's very comfortable.
For the asking price of the 009's when they first came out, the headband should've been better built and looking. If I was able to design an headphone, I'd have the headband with similar looks to the one I have, but it would be made of carbon fibre with suede on the inside like I have on my headband.
Carbon fibre is extremely strong, light and I think it would go well with the Aluminium ear cups.
Hopefully the SR-011 might have a carbon fibre headband that has a similar shape to the one I have.post #98 of 1525/23/13 at 3:18am
Sony SA5000's headband looks nice to try. Should much weightless then alu. plates.
Or you may get a Sony SA1000, they're $99 on Amazon US or £85 on Amazon UK.
Edited by palchiu - 5/23/13 at 3:24ampost #99 of 1525/23/13 at 7:45am
Looks great David. Well done.post #100 of 1525/25/13 at 8:27am
While I was happy with the shape and feel of my headband for the 009's, I listened to them for a couple of hours the other day and with the extra weight, they did start to feel slightly uncomfortable after around hour an half.
So I've taken the leather and aluminium off the band and just glued some more leather on.
The band alone now weighs 0.300lb, but with the aluminium it was 0.698lb, I've weighed the Stax band and it's 0.210lb, so there's not that much difference between the Stax and the one I have now.
Here are some photos of how the headband now looks, which will also be staying that way.
The bottom photo was taken to show that I've made the suede part of the leather showing, I find suede on my shaven head is a lot more comfortable than the leather side.
I'll be doing something to the gap between the leather, but once that's done, my quest for having a different headband will be complete.
Edited by David1961 - 5/25/13 at 8:32ampost #101 of 1528/26/13 at 5:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by complin
I might have to consider doing this myself!
IMO the SR-009 headband has a critical design flaw and for such an expensive headphone is extremely poorly made. Personally I have never experienced any issues with Stax build quality except due to age (ie 20/30 year old models) when the plastic gets brittle.
I have a set of 009's which are just 18 months old, and the plastic clips which hold the headband in place have BOTH fractured
They are used most days and are always handled with great care.
I believe this is due to a combination of the weight of the ear capsules and very poor construction quality of these plastic clips.
I would be interested to know if any other regular users of the SR-009 have experienced similar issues?
I realize I am a but late to this party, but want to mention I had the exact same thing happen with my SR-507. I was not as unfortunate as you, as only one of mine broke. I looked around for a while to find someone who could use my unbroken part as a template to build me a new set out of metal. In the end it wasn't worth the cost, as I found the headband very uncomfortable. Instead I chose to replace it with a SR-202 headband.post #102 of 1528/29/13 at 10:52amI've been using the new headband I did for my 009's for just over 3 months, and I couldn't be happier.
Not only do my new look 009's feel extremely comfortable, but to me they are now one of the best looking headphones I've ever seen.
The new band also feels very strong and secure, so I'm not worried about anything breaking, however if anything did happen, I'd just sort out another band and do the same to that as I did with the one I have.
I don't think I'll ever be 100% happy with the SQ from the 009's, but there's no way I'll ever get rid of mine, I like the look and feel of them too much.post #103 of 1528/31/13 at 12:16pm
So what's the problem with the SQ?post #104 of 1528/31/13 at 12:27pmpost #105 of 1528/31/13 at 1:13pm
I've mentioned it before, which is with some songs I listen to, they are uncomfortable even at my normal listening volume. Fortunately most of the songs in my collection do sound pretty amazing with the 009 / BHSE.
- Mods for SR-009
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 17 seconds ago
- › Shure SE-535 1 minute ago
- › The Funny Gif Thread 1 minute ago
- › Frequencies, Hertz-es, Ohm-ses..tired of them ? Visit the FUN... 1 minute ago
- › The Hobbit Movie Thread (and anything else related to Lord of the... 1 minute ago
- › What happened to the Darth Beyers? 2 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 alcantara pads (1 brand new pair) *FOR SALE* 3 minutes ago
- › *NEW* B.M.C. PureDAC - Digital to Analog Converter, Balanced... 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › Shure SE535-V Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with... by Wilderbeast
- › Sony MDRXB600 Extra Bass Over the Head 40mm Driver Headphone, Black by Shini44
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by joe