The weight is the same issue here as when Stax used the Lambda headband with the SR-Omega. They broke quite frequently but I haven't heard of any failures with the 009 though.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Stax 009: Advice on Buying used Last post on 11/15/14 at 5:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Stax 009: Advice on Buying used Last post on 11/15/14 at 6:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- This auction should be interesting.... Last post on 11/2/14 at 9:59am in Headphones (full-size)
- New York Audio Show 2014 Last post on 10/22/14 at 11:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Review and comparison: Focal Spirit Classic & Sennheiser HD380Pro Last post on 10/28/14 at 1:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION The first I heard about RHA (or Reid Heath Acoustics) was a thread on Head-Fi calling for...
FIIO'S E11K KILIMANJARO 2 INTRODUCTION Fiio is a Chinese maker of audio equipment that has become well known for offering good gear at highly competitive prices. With a lineup of...
AKG K3003 is an important milestone in the development of IEM. It’s THE FIRST universal fit IEM that successfully combines dynamic driver and balance armature technology together. After owning them...
Had this little player for sometime now recently purchased the X1 and comparing them both im still sold on the DX50 although I still like my X1 but I still find the sound seperation on the DX50...
Disclaimer: I received this unit for review purpose as a part of the Australasian tour. The unit is owned by Paul (Brooko). Thank you for making this happen. Summary: This is the...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Mods for SR-009 - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The weight of this headband is 0.6.98lb alone, and with the ear cups the overall weight is 1.10.22lb, so my 009's are now heavier headphones.
But with the band being wider than normal, that weight is supported better which makes my 009's very comfortable.
For the asking price of the 009's when they first came out, the headband should've been better built and looking. If I was able to design an headphone, I'd have the headband with similar looks to the one I have, but it would be made of carbon fibre with suede on the inside like I have on my headband.
Carbon fibre is extremely strong, light and I think it would go well with the Aluminium ear cups.
Hopefully the SR-011 might have a carbon fibre headband that has a similar shape to the one I have.
Sony SA5000's headband looks nice to try. Should much weightless then alu. plates.
Or you may get a Sony SA1000, they're $99 on Amazon US or £85 on Amazon UK.
Edited by palchiu - 5/23/13 at 3:24am
Looks great David. Well done.
I might have to consider doing this myself!
IMO the SR-009 headband has a critical design flaw and for such an expensive headphone is extremely poorly made. Personally I have never experienced any issues with Stax build quality except due to age (ie 20/30 year old models) when the plastic gets brittle.
I have a set of 009's which are just 18 months old, and the plastic clips which hold the headband in place have BOTH fractured
They are used most days and are always handled with great care.
I believe this is due to a combination of the weight of the ear capsules and very poor construction quality of these plastic clips.
I would be interested to know if any other regular users of the SR-009 have experienced similar issues?
I realize I am a but late to this party, but want to mention I had the exact same thing happen with my SR-507. I was not as unfortunate as you, as only one of mine broke. I looked around for a while to find someone who could use my unbroken part as a template to build me a new set out of metal. In the end it wasn't worth the cost, as I found the headband very uncomfortable. Instead I chose to replace it with a SR-202 headband.
Not only do my new look 009's feel extremely comfortable, but to me they are now one of the best looking headphones I've ever seen.
The new band also feels very strong and secure, so I'm not worried about anything breaking, however if anything did happen, I'd just sort out another band and do the same to that as I did with the one I have.
I don't think I'll ever be 100% happy with the SQ from the 009's, but there's no way I'll ever get rid of mine, I like the look and feel of them too much.
So what's the problem with the SQ?
I've mentioned it before, which is with some songs I listen to, they are uncomfortable even at my normal listening volume. Fortunately most of the songs in my collection do sound pretty amazing with the 009 / BHSE.
- Mods for SR-009
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 Review 38 seconds ago
- › If young people have the best hearing, and men lose theirs faster... 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman He-400 or He-500? 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › hfb - Bounce House - chat aka shtpost central 5 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 5 minutes ago
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › FiiO E11K by thatonenoob
- › AKG K3003 by GUO XIAOZHOU
- › iBasso DX50 DAP by AudioGG
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › Joinhandmade Jelly Ear In Ear Headphones by thatonenoob
- › Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MrTechAgent
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by twelvebears
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)