The weight is the same issue here as when Stax used the Lambda headband with the SR-Omega. They broke quite frequently but I haven't heard of any failures with the 009 though.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Stax protection Last post on 2/5/15 at 5:04am in High-end Audio Forum
- What would you say are the best 3 IEM's out in the market now ? Last post on 2/19/15 at 7:12am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Stax 009 Last post on 12/3/14 at 9:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Stax 009: Advice on Buying used Last post on 11/15/14 at 5:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
This is my first review on head-fi. I had humble beginnings in my path as an audiophile that only officially started once I got the wonderful AKG K550 and grew more conscious of the link between...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank RIVA Audio team for a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Thanks to the original Jambox, going back a few years, wireless...
http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/ It takes a lot of confidence to name your product after the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird. If your going to honor the legendary mach 3+ strategic reconnaissance...
Every 6 months I've had the pleasure of talking to Shinobu Karaki of Aurorasound at the Tokyo headphone festivals. As an ex-Texas Instruments employee he has come up with some interesting...
For me, the Audeze EL-8Cs satisfy a long awaited two year search for a closed headphone that I can use at work that sound just as good as my home theater setup. I enjoy them so much, that I cannot...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Mods for SR-009 - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The weight of this headband is 0.6.98lb alone, and with the ear cups the overall weight is 1.10.22lb, so my 009's are now heavier headphones.
But with the band being wider than normal, that weight is supported better which makes my 009's very comfortable.
For the asking price of the 009's when they first came out, the headband should've been better built and looking. If I was able to design an headphone, I'd have the headband with similar looks to the one I have, but it would be made of carbon fibre with suede on the inside like I have on my headband.
Carbon fibre is extremely strong, light and I think it would go well with the Aluminium ear cups.
Hopefully the SR-011 might have a carbon fibre headband that has a similar shape to the one I have.
Sony SA5000's headband looks nice to try. Should much weightless then alu. plates.
Or you may get a Sony SA1000, they're $99 on Amazon US or £85 on Amazon UK.
Edited by palchiu - 5/23/13 at 3:24am
Looks great David. Well done.
I might have to consider doing this myself!
IMO the SR-009 headband has a critical design flaw and for such an expensive headphone is extremely poorly made. Personally I have never experienced any issues with Stax build quality except due to age (ie 20/30 year old models) when the plastic gets brittle.
I have a set of 009's which are just 18 months old, and the plastic clips which hold the headband in place have BOTH fractured
They are used most days and are always handled with great care.
I believe this is due to a combination of the weight of the ear capsules and very poor construction quality of these plastic clips.
I would be interested to know if any other regular users of the SR-009 have experienced similar issues?
I realize I am a but late to this party, but want to mention I had the exact same thing happen with my SR-507. I was not as unfortunate as you, as only one of mine broke. I looked around for a while to find someone who could use my unbroken part as a template to build me a new set out of metal. In the end it wasn't worth the cost, as I found the headband very uncomfortable. Instead I chose to replace it with a SR-202 headband.
Not only do my new look 009's feel extremely comfortable, but to me they are now one of the best looking headphones I've ever seen.
The new band also feels very strong and secure, so I'm not worried about anything breaking, however if anything did happen, I'd just sort out another band and do the same to that as I did with the one I have.
I don't think I'll ever be 100% happy with the SQ from the 009's, but there's no way I'll ever get rid of mine, I like the look and feel of them too much.
So what's the problem with the SQ?
I've mentioned it before, which is with some songs I listen to, they are uncomfortable even at my normal listening volume. Fortunately most of the songs in my collection do sound pretty amazing with the 009 / BHSE.
- Mods for SR-009
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › MASS-Kobo Headphone Amp. model404 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA6SE amp + lots of tubes! 5 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 5 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 6 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 6 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 10 minutes ago
- › Need help buying new headphones 11 minutes ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid... 11 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DreamKing
- › Riva TurboX High Performance Premium Mobile Bluetooth Speaker (Black) by twister6
- › Ray Samuels Emmeline "The Black Bird" SR-71A Portable... by Stereocilia
- › Aurorasound HEADA Balanced Headphone Amplifier by Currawong
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by bearcat1986
- › Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V3 by YoYo JoKeR
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by DJScope
- › HiFiMAN HE-500 by MrJohnny
- › Shure SE112m+-GR Sound Isolating Earphones with Remote + Microphone... by pformagg
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by Luckbad
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2