Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser Amperior: The Rivals?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser Amperior: The Rivals? - Page 4

post #46 of 59

I'm not surprised that nobody has yet mentioned the PSB M4U 1 headphones. Not a lot of talk about them, but I do know that there are a few folks with them and/or the M4U 2, which are almost the same headphone sonically. Check 'em out:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PSB-Speakers-M4U-Headphones-Black/dp/B00AEOST32

 

There's lots of comparisons done with many other rivals in a M4U 2 thread. Maybe someone can chime in on some comparisons to the M4U 1, like Beagle maybe?

post #47 of 59
jay I think you hit it right on the money. Although I'd definitely say give the M-80s some more head time so the ear pads do mold to the ears. V-MODA always say the fit is the sound and I believe that's right (in the case of these headphones and other headphones as well. What I love about them is that they're liquid smooth while having very good detail. Very spacious sound for such a small can and the vents do make a difference. At the price they go for these days, they're a steal.

The Amperior is overall more aggressive and sparkly. These days mine have gotten little head time because sometimes I find the aggression a bit too much, almost annoying sometimes. I think my sound preferences are evolving for sure. I don't think I would get rid of them though because I do appreciate them being a good all-rounder and it has an exciting sound.

On another note, I recently had a chance to demo the M-100 and came away impressed. While the bass is strong, I don't find them all tht V-shaped. I think some reviewers had it right when they called them j-shaped. I also found the highs nicely extended without sounding harsh. I was hoping they had more extended highs than the M-80 and they do. Now take all this with a grain of salt because it was a quick demo. I do anticipate getting them though in the future.
post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnB4Guy View Post

I'm not surprised that nobody has yet mentioned the PSB M4U 1 headphones. Not a lot of talk about them, but I do know that there are a few folks with them and/or the M4U 2, which are almost the same headphone sonically. Check 'em out:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PSB-Speakers-M4U-Headphones-Black/dp/B00AEOST32


There's lots of comparisons done with many other rivals in a M4U 2 thread. Maybe someone can chime in on some comparisons to the M4U 1, like Beagle maybe?

I hope to demo those sometime in the future. How's the passive isolation on the M4U1?
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post


I hope to demo those sometime in the future. How's the passive isolation on the M4U1?


I've only got the M4U 2, but I find the isolation is pretty good with these, and I'd expect the same for the M4U 1. They'll drown out a lot of noise from the world...they stop me from hearing my whiny cats but I can still hear my phone ring if I'm close enough to it.

post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnB4Guy View Post

I'm not surprised that nobody has yet mentioned the PSB M4U 1 headphones. Not a lot of talk about them, but I do know that there are a few folks with them and/or the M4U 2, which are almost the same headphone sonically. Check 'em out:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PSB-Speakers-M4U-Headphones-Black/dp/B00AEOST32

 

There's lots of comparisons done with many other rivals in a M4U 2 thread. Maybe someone can chime in on some comparisons to the M4U 1, like Beagle maybe?

You know, i"ve heard a lot about balance in these can you confirm? And is there anything about them that just stands out to you as WOW factor? 

 

They're over ear right?And is there a sonic difference between 1 and 2? I know one is amped and one is unamped right ?

 

And whats the price difference between the two price wise?

post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

jay I think you hit it right on the money. Although I'd definitely say give the M-80s some more head time so the ear pads do mold to the ears. V-MODA always say the fit is the sound and I believe that's right (in the case of these headphones and other headphones as well. What I love about them is that they're liquid smooth while having very good detail. Very spacious sound for such a small can and the vents do make a difference. At the price they go for these days, they're a steal.

The Amperior is overall more aggressive and sparkly. These days mine have gotten little head time because sometimes I find the aggression a bit too much, almost annoying sometimes. I think my sound preferences are evolving for sure. I don't think I would get rid of them though because I do appreciate them being a good all-rounder and it has an exciting sound.

On another note, I recently had a chance to demo the M-100 and came away impressed. While the bass is strong, I don't find them all tht V-shaped. I think some reviewers had it right when they called them j-shaped. I also found the highs nicely extended without sounding harsh. I was hoping they had more extended highs than the M-80 and they do. Now take all this with a grain of salt because it was a quick demo. I do anticipate getting them though in the future.

+1 m80s are a bargain for the price. I would definitely buy again if I had to.

I too got fatigued by the hd25/amp sound. It's very aggressive and in your face with the treble. I loved the bass of it. to me, the dt880s is a great compromise of not too much highs and just enough lows. My only gripe is that I wish the mids were a little more forward, which is why I picked up a tubedac. biggrin.gif
post #52 of 59

I've noticed Sennheiser's headphones tend to be tuned more in a way that suites music that isn't bright in the first place, such as older-style recordings, where a strong treble peak gives the music some "air". V-MODAs were designed to be less likely to damage your hearing if you turn the volume up by not having the typical peak seen with most headphones, which balanced out nicely against modern music that tends to be quite brightly mastered.

post #53 of 59
Very true ^^ which is why it's great to have both for different genres. Hip hop and electronica would be well-suited to listen to on the M-80 while rock and acoustic are better-suited IMO on the Amperior.
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecansmancan View Post

You know, i"ve heard a lot about balance in these can you confirm? And is there anything about them that just stands out to you as WOW factor? 

 

They're over ear right?And is there a sonic difference between 1 and 2? I know one is amped and one is unamped right ?

 

And whats the price difference between the two price wise?


I find them to be quite balanced. There's some graphs that Tyll did on Inner Fidelity showing FR numbers among other measurements (I can't find the link, but I've got a copy of it).

 

Nothing really WOW's from them except that they sound like they should. Not a lot of colour in these IMO. Voicing of both male and female vocalists seem very "real". Paul Barton himself says that these are "voiced absolutely textbook" which I take to mean that they reproduce sound as they were intended.

 

The 1 is an unamped, over-the-ear headphone. The 2 has a built-in amp and noise-cancelling (3 modes to use 'em). For the US/Canada/Australia customers, the price difference between them is $100. I think it's about 70 Euro difference if buying in Europe(?).

 

If you can hunt down a PSB dealer in your area, I suggest you go audition a pair. I was convinced in under 5 minutes, so maybe that makes my opinion a bit less valued(?). But I've been using these for 11 months and I'm just as impressed listening to them now as I was almost a year ago. If you don't believe or trust my opinion, check out some of the reviews.

post #55 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

jay I think you hit it right on the money. Although I'd definitely say give the M-80s some more head time so the ear pads do mold to the ears. V-MODA always say the fit is the sound and I believe that's right (in the case of these headphones and other headphones as well. What I love about them is that they're liquid smooth while having very good detail. Very spacious sound for such a small can and the vents do make a difference. At the price they go for these days, they're a steal.

The Amperior is overall more aggressive and sparkly. These days mine have gotten little head time because sometimes I find the aggression a bit too much, almost annoying sometimes. I think my sound preferences are evolving for sure. I don't think I would get rid of them though because I do appreciate them being a good all-rounder and it has an exciting sound.

On another note, I recently had a chance to demo the M-100 and came away impressed. While the bass is strong, I don't find them all tht V-shaped. I think some reviewers had it right when they called them j-shaped. I also found the highs nicely extended without sounding harsh. I was hoping they had more extended highs than the M-80 and they do. Now take all this with a grain of salt because it was a quick demo. I do anticipate getting them though in the future.

Much appreciated, Roma. I am a novice so it is nice to know that i am hearing things correctly.. if there is such a thing!  I think i am happy with the DT1350's, Amperiors and M-80's. I can't imagine i will get much use out of open sets or even over ears as much as portable on-ears - saying that i would love to try the M-100s (possible Amperior beater?). I will probably invest in a better amp to go with the DT1350. The purchases are really hurting my bank balance and the parcels are driving my wife up the wall! Haha.

 

Also, I messed around with the M80 vents and could tell straight away the difference it made to the bass. I couldn't really perceive much change in the soundstage though to be honest.

 

As for the Amperiors, i can't imagine giving these up just yet. I tend to listen at moderate volumes and find that bass/treble emphasis really helps on quieter sessions. I just don't understand how people can listen to music at such loud levels. :)

post #56 of 59

I like them after a while at a local shop! Although it's onear but very comfortable

post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp266 View Post

Much appreciated, Roma. I am a novice so it is nice to know that i am hearing things correctly.. if there is such a thing!  I think i am happy with the DT1350's, Amperiors and M-80's. I can't imagine i will get much use out of open sets or even over ears as much as portable on-ears - saying that i would love to try the M-100s (possible Amperior beater?). I will probably invest in a better amp to go with the DT1350. The purchases are really hurting my bank balance and the parcels are driving my wife up the wall! Haha.

 

Also, I messed around with the M80 vents and could tell straight away the difference it made to the bass. I couldn't really perceive much change in the soundstage though to be honest.

 

As for the Amperiors, i can't imagine giving these up just yet. I tend to listen at moderate volumes and find that bass/treble emphasis really helps on quieter sessions. I just don't understand how people can listen to music at such loud levels. :)


Agreed with all you said and yeah I've banned myself (temporarily of course) from buying headphones for a while for two of the reasons you mentioned.

 

I think in terms of refinement and overall detail retrieval the PRO 500 is an Amperior beater. But that is just my opinion. The Amperior is better in terms of portability and they are lighter on the head, no contest there. The differences in SQ are significant to my ears - the drivers in the 500 as well as the housing are impressive. Think of the detail and instrument separation of the DT1350, with a bigger soundstage and better imaging, but with a similar sig to the Amperior yet more refined in bass and treble. No edginess either to my ears and there you have it.

 

As for the M-100 being an Amperior beater, I still have to spend more time with those one day. For now, I'd say that the M-100 is better in terms of soundstage and bass detail. In the end, it's also a matter of preference. I know of some people who found the Amperior's treble to be grating to their ears and they ended up loving the M-100 and feeling that they were an overall upgrade.

 

That said, there's just something about the Amperior/HD25 I will always love though, and so I don't think I will get rid of them. Their sound sig for me is really helpful in loud environments too, and I also listen at moderate volumes.

post #58 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post


Agreed with all you said and yeah I've banned myself (temporarily of course) from buying headphones for a while for two of the reasons you mentioned.

I think in terms of refinement and overall detail retrieval the PRO 500 is an Amperior beater. But that is just my opinion. The Amperior is better in terms of portability and they are lighter on the head, no contest there. The differences in SQ are significant to my ears - the drivers in the 500 as well as the housing are impressive. Think of the detail and instrument separation of the DT1350, with a bigger soundstage and better imaging, but with a similar sig to the Amperior yet more refined in bass and treble. No edginess either to my ears and there you have it.

As for the M-100 being an Amperior beater, I still have to spend more time with those one day. For now, I'd say that the M-100 is better in terms of soundstage and bass detail. In the end, it's also a matter of preference. I know of some people who found the Amperior's treble to be grating to their ears and they ended up loving the M-100 and feeling that they were an overall upgrade.

That said, there's just something about the Amperior/HD25 I will always love though, and so I don't think I will get rid of them. Their sound sig for me is really helpful in loud environments too, and I also listen at moderate volumes.

Even though I'm happy with my mini collection right now, I will still keep an eye out on the Pro 500. Although I am not a big fan of the styling if I'm being honest with you. smily_headphones1.gif
post #59 of 59
You and me both, my only gripes are the overall styling and comfort of the 500s. If the sound wasn't so good I would have sold them for sure but these have the sound I had been looking for for a long time. I much more prefer the styling of the HD25, M-100/80, and MDR-1R.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser Amperior: The Rivals?