Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser Amperior: The Rivals?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser Amperior: The Rivals? - Page 2

post #16 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

I take the subway everyday, which is pretty damn noisy, and find myself enjoying them in that environment as well. The isolation is good, better than most circumaurals I think. Almost as good as the HD25/Amperior. The bass is punchy and impactful and it works very well in that environment.

Check out the Yamaha thread, I just posted some impressions there. It's not like me to hype up any headphone but the Yamahas do so many things right. It's the first time I've been sure about a headphone being a keeper. And usually the more expensive a headphone is, the more critical I am. I feel that I got my money's worth.

You have me sold just from what you say! I will be keeping an eye out on the price of these Yamahas

 

Not a name that springs to mind wrt headphones but you can't deny their heritage.

 

£210 from SLR Hut. Tempting price!


Edited by jayp266 - 2/13/13 at 2:41am
post #17 of 59
Indeed, I took a chance with them and I'm glad I did. They might not be for everyone but I enjoy them. Also beware if your head is small - these just fit me with nothing extended. To give you a frame of reference on the M-80, I wear them with two clicks extended on each side.

As far as the hunt being over, it's definitely good for the wallet - at least to take a break and bandage my wounded wallet lol. But I'm sure I will always be curious about other cans just to try them out. I'm just happy I found a headphone with my preferred sound sig and great timbre accuracy.
post #18 of 59
Btw great price!! Definitely worth it.
post #19 of 59

so  i read pretty much that whole yamaha thread. And the general idea i got was relatively balanced, rich tonality, and a mild mid bass hump. Can you confirm? And just thinking aloud here, but that sounds a lot like the SRH-840. Do you know if it is?

post #20 of 59
Hey I would actually say you're not far off. I thought of the 840s also when I got these except I think the Yamahas are even more resolving and the imaging is better. I'll admit though that's it has been while since I had the 840s, however I was never wowed by them as I was with the Yamahas.
post #21 of 59

hmm, interesting. I've always loved my 840. It's just too big to carry as a portable. How do the two compare size wise?

 

Oh, and i saw this review here on head fi. Oddly enough, this guy seems to think they are bass heavy and mildly UNnatural. Do you think this guy is just crazy or can you see where he's coming from? 

post #22 of 59

Nah, I just think we all hear a bit differently and I agree mostly with his review except for maybe a couple things. It's all relative in this hobby, especially when it comes to gear we have already owned and what we are comparing them to. This headphone sounds closest to my IEM, the Panasonic HJE900, which is the most natural hp/iem I have ever heard . The 500 also has the detail level that on par with something like the DT 1350.

 

Anyway, since then I have been looking for a full-size headphone version of the HJE900. I am really big on timbre accuracy - so to my ears, drums and strings and piano have never sounded more lifelike. It's very hard to get that kind of timbre, generally, in any headphone down-pat which is why it has been so difficult for me to find that kind of sound. I will also say that what's natural to some may be unnatural to others - it's all subjective in the end. I go by my experience around live music and more specifically, I am going by my experience as a former percussionist and the way I perceive certain sounds. Decay is a big factor also and I feel these have excellent decay. 

post #23 of 59
Thread Starter 
On another subject. I purchased the monoprice 8323 just out of curiosity to compare against my other sets. I should be receiving these next week. Anyone have any experience of the monoprice offering?
post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp266 View Post

On another subject. I purchased the monoprice 8323 just out of curiosity to compare against my other sets. I should be receiving these next week. Anyone have any experience of the monoprice offering?

I do indeed. Love that can. Great little beater. A bit warm, but that can depend heavily on source and amplification. For example, out of a 4th gen ipod touch it almost seems bass shy, and I believe this helps to accentuate the treble just a touch more which is quite nice. On a solid amp it has a fair amount of bass. Perhaps not the best in the world, but for $30 certainly acceptable, though it does lack a touch of control. I've had mine for some time now and they never let me down despite the punishment i put them through. 

here, I have a review.

post #25 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecansmancan View Post

I do indeed. Love that can. Great little beater. A bit warm, but that can depend heavily on source and amplification. For example, out of a 4th gen ipod touch it almost seems bass shy, and I believe this helps to accentuate the treble just a touch more which is quite nice. On a solid amp it has a fair amount of bass. Perhaps not the best in the world, but for $30 certainly acceptable, though it does lack a touch of control. I've had mine for some time now and they never let me down despite the punishment i put them through. 
here, I have a review.

Your review is right on the button. Great value for what they are. I found them to be bass light and congested as you say. Sound too neutral for my liking but can't ask for too much for £16! Best in class. Also did you find the three segments of the headband a little loose? Not sure if the band should twist like this or just a few screws loose!
post #26 of 59

The Amperior is a very good headphone, though in the end I chose to return it. I'm not sure why, but when you first hear the Amperior it really draws you in with clarity. When you eventually get past that initial wow factor and put in some time you start to get bored with it, at least I did. I found no real weaknesses, but nothing it really excels at either. I did prefer it to the DT1350 and Momentum, by quite a margin. The DT1350 was way too mid emphasized for me and the Momentum was just the opposite. The Amperior struck a better balance overall for me. The other thing that annoyed me about the Amperior is that it came with no case. A true portable NEEDS a case! Ridiculous!

 

Anyway, I have since upgraded to an Edition 8, and then downgraded back to an M100. The Ed8 was a great headphone, but WAY overpriced if I'm being honest. I think that the M100 almost matches it for sound quality and absolutely destroys it for portable use. I mean, who wants to carry around a $1000+ headphone outside of the house??? I hated even getting finger prints on my Ed8...lol. The M100 is almost perfect for what it is, and with a touch less bass it would have been perfect. I'm now using eq to tame the bass ever so slightly and I couldn't be happier. What an amazing headphone and an amazing value. Do yourself a favor and check out the M100.   
 


Edited by BRAC - 2/19/13 at 7:05am
post #27 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

The Amperior is a very good headphone, though in the end I chose to return it. I'm not sure why, but when you first hear the Amperior it really draws you in with clarity. When you eventually get past that initial wow factor and put in some time you start to get bored with it, at least I did. I found no real weaknesses, but nothing it really excels at either. I did prefer it to the DT1350 and Momentum, by quite a margin. The DT1350 was way too mid emphasized for me and the Momentum was just the opposite. The Amperior struck a better balance overall for me. The other thing that annoyed me about the Amperior is that it came with no case. A true portable NEEDS a case! Ridiculous!

Anyway, I have since upgraded to an Edition 8, and then downgraded back to an M100. The Ed8 was a great headphone, but WAY overpriced if I'm being honest. I think that the M100 almost matches it for sound quality and absolutely destroys it for portable use. I mean, who wants to carry around a $1000+ headphone outside of the house??? I hated even getting finger prints on my Ed8...lol. The M100 is almost perfect for what it is, and with a touch less bass it would have been perfect. I'm now using eq to tame the bass ever so slightly and I couldn't be happier. What an amazing headphone and an amazing value. Do yourself a favor and check out the M100.   

 

Just quickly googled Edition 8. They look amazing! I would be far too paranoid to let them out of the house let alone on the grotty london tube. I will test the M100's at some point. They are on my wish list! Thanks.
post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp266 View Post


Just quickly googled Edition 8. They look amazing! I would be far too paranoid to let them out of the house let alone on the grotty london tube. I will test the M100's at some point. They are on my wish list! Thanks.


x2 on both points. Can't wait to try the M-100.

post #29 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo View Post

Avoid the DT1350 if you want something fun and bassy. I own the DT1350, i love them, but i don't think they'll be for you. I think it all comes down to liking the 'Beyer sound' some would say.

I also have the Momentums, as for laid back sounding, quite possibly. But i think you should try them out, they are very warm sounding and the warmth certainly leaks into the rest of the spectrum i found. Beautiful for guitars. Vocals aren't bad either!

You can demo the Momentums at John Lewis of all places. That's where i got mine, must of spent 45 minutes standing there. Both attendants got bored of me demoing them, haha. I think they thought i was gonna try and steal 'em. Amazon returns policy allows you to try and then send back too. They're a massive company, so screw them! I spent £300 on some IE80s and HD380 pros, sent both back saying 'quality inadequate'. Got a refund on both, along with my original 1st class postage that i paid for.

It's a shame even here in Bristol there isn't really anywhere that sells much where i can go in and be a loyal customer. 

So I bought a pair of DT1350's recently and I think you are right. I don't like the Beyer sound! The signature seems too neutral an unremarkable for me. I guess I just prefer the signature of the amperiors! I find the bass response lacking and the highs are just too shrill for my ears. There is q a lot of sibilance too. I am going to burn them in to see if this makes any difference. Don't hold much hope to be honest. frown.gif shame really because I like the build quality and feel.
post #30 of 59

So I just got my 1350s yesterday.  I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed.  Isolation and soundstage are good, but the overall frequency response is a bit disappointing.  Now they haven't broken in, so that might help, but I'm not really expecting major improvements.  My primary purpose was to use it with portable devices.  What surprised me was how different my various devices sound when used with these phones.  The apple devices sound great, but my other device that I know have higher impedances just sound a bit more hallow.  I thought that the higher impedance and higher sensitivity of the 1350s would make them perfect for portable devices.  Maybe it's just my imagination, but my other cans that have half the impedance didn't exhibit as much variation as I see with the 1350s.  My other choice was the B&W P5s.  I had heard those in a store and saw a similar difference between my portable devices.  Really confused if I should send these back and keep looking.  Maybe I just need to get a portable headphone AMP.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser Amperior: The Rivals?