Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › First custom: Straight to the top with JHA JH16? (Very confused!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First custom: Straight to the top with JHA JH16? (Very confused!)

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 

Hi guys, I'm planning on purchasing a pair of JHA customs and will be sending in my impressions tomorrow. Currently I'm not considering any other brands simply because I have not heard them in person and am afraid of taking the risk in buying something that I may not enjoy. I heard the JH16 (demo) in a store quite recently.

 

With this being my first pair of customs, I don't know if I should just go all out. I'm afraid that I may not know how to appreciate them fully because my ears haven't been accustomed to lower-end customs. I'm also considering the JH11 but since the price difference is not a whole lot, I'm afraid it might come back to haunt me, even though I'm quite sure I'll be happy w the sound anyway. What do you guys think? I apologise if this thread seems ridiculous. I'm just really confused. :/

 

In the past I've owned (in order): UE Super.fi5 Pro, Shure SE215, Grado RS-1i, UE 700, UE TF10 Pro -> JH16?

post #2 of 31

Seems a shame to waste the money and not go for the top ones. You've already had some good universals in the past so I'm sure you'll appreciate a good set of customs. 

post #3 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post

Seems a shame to waste the money and not go for the top ones. You've already had some good universals in the past so I'm sure you'll appreciate a good set of customs. 

 

Thanks for the reply. I understand that this post is silly but I'm just really undecided. I appreciate the input though. :)

post #4 of 31
I think the jh-3a combo would be considered all out. That said, I think you will love the 16s given the appropriate source and material. Be sure to run an IEM seal test:

http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833

I have both the jh5s and the 3a combo, both from different impressions. The 5s don't seal as well which is an annoyance and one I would rectify if they were my only pair. But this would be something I am sure you wouldn't want to compromise on...

Also, if you are a cable believer, look into IEM cables from Moon Audio...

Good luck and post pics of your artwork!
post #5 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax1 View Post

I think the jh-3a combo would be considered all out. That said, I think you will love the 16s given the appropriate source and material. Be sure to run an IEM seal test:

http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833

I have both the jh5s and the 3a combo, both from different impressions. The 5s don't seal as well which is an annoyance and one I would rectify if they were my only pair. But this would be something I am sure you wouldn't want to compromise on...

Also, if you are a cable believer, look into IEM cables from Moon Audio...

Good luck and post pics of your artwork!

 

Yeah, that would be true haha. I know for a fact that I'll love the JH16's. Perhaps I'll spend the next few years collecting DACs and amps. Maybe even upgrade to a much better phone when my budget permits. Thanks for your input. :)

post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertable View Post

I'm afraid that I may not know how to appreciate them fully because my ears haven't been accustomed to lower-end customs. 

No need to worry about this. I only had one mid-tier IEM before jumping into full blown CIEMs, and the difference was extremely apparent from first listen.

 

You should be in for a fantastic treat, I think the go big or go home saying aptly applies to CIEMs, and will likely save you a pretty penny if you're wholly satisfied with your first purchase.

post #7 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideousPride View Post

No need to worry about this. I only had one mid-tier IEM before jumping into full blown CIEMs, and the difference was extremely apparent from first listen.

 

You should be in for a fantastic treat, I think the go big or go home saying aptly applies to CIEMs, and will likely save you a pretty penny if you're wholly satisfied with your first purchase.

 

That's good to hear. I guess another reason that justifies the JH16 purchase is the amount of improvement that I'll receive over earphones I've heard in the past, rather than to experience improvements in more, but smaller scales, I might as well get the best experience money can buy now, cause eventually I hope to reach the level of JH16 anyway. It'll make more sense to go straight to the JH16 than to get the JH11, and then in a few years get the JH16 and experience only a small margin of improvement. By then I'm sure JH would have figured out a way to fit 10-12 drivers into an earpiece. So thanks. This made my decision much easier. :)

post #8 of 31

my suggestion is you get a pair of jh16 pro first and then get the fitear togo 334 and you'll immediately regret your purchase. That's how I feel when I got my 334 after I have purchased the JH13 and westone ES5, two top-tier customs lose to one universal that costs more =-=

post #9 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by czqdtc View Post

my suggestion is you get a pair of jh16 pro first and then get the fitear togo 334 and you'll immediately regret your purchase. That's how I feel when I got my 334 after I have purchased the JH13 and westone ES5, two top-tier customs lose to one universal that costs more =-=

 

Haha. Well, maybe I'll save the FitEar's for the coming years. At this point the FitEar's are unattainable for me as they're at a high price (after taxes, etc.). Also, I'm very curious to try out a pair of customs as I've heard so many great things about them.

post #10 of 31

Go for the gold, you'll always wonder if you get anything less than the JH-16.  I almost got the TS842, but when I thought about the custom process, how long it would take, and the cost, I figured I'd just go straight to the top.

post #11 of 31
There are a number of people who do prefer the 13, that said.
post #12 of 31

As someone who had been using the Shure se530s/535s for the past 6 years, and just received my JH16 last week, keep in mind that the 16s are bass heavy.  They are very accurate, but with 4 dedicated subwoofers in each ear, you're going to feel that bass. If you want something a bit flatter, frequency wise, get the 13s.  I have noticed that the low-end bleeds into the midrange, but for now I'm assuming that most of the issue is fit, and I'm sending them back into be refit as the seal isn't that great.  Regardless of the few issues, I am hearing sounds that I never heard before on my se535's.  The 16 pros are definitely worth it if you like bass!

post #13 of 31
Regarding details, the 530s are rolled off in the treble, I thought the 535s fixed that but not sure.
post #14 of 31

The JH13Pro are better if you don't need extra bass and overall they are stunning compared to universal IEMs due to higher resolution soundquality(all instruments has better space and they sound amazing) with superb imaging, instruments separation and wide soundstage.

post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlesnick View Post

As someone who had been using the Shure se530s/535s for the past 6 years, and just received my JH16 last week, keep in mind that the 16s are bass heavy.  They are very accurate, but with 4 dedicated subwoofers in each ear, you're going to feel that bass. If you want something a bit flatter, frequency wise, get the 13s.  I have noticed that the low-end bleeds into the midrange, but for now I'm assuming that most of the issue is fit, and I'm sending them back into be refit as the seal isn't that great.  Regardless of the few issues, I am hearing sounds that I never heard before on my se535's.  The 16 pros are definitely worth it if you like bass!

Better seal will only add to the midbass. They are bass heavy phones. The 13s are more accurate and by ALL accounts, the new FP versions are significantly improved. Both are top of the line ($50 difference) but somethig with more bass is needed for certain situations unrelated to home use or preference.


Edited by goodvibes - 2/13/13 at 6:38am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › First custom: Straight to the top with JHA JH16? (Very confused!)