Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio-Technica ATH-A900X Thread. :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-Technica ATH-A900X Thread. :) - Page 38

post #556 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirebond View Post
 

Very detail, I have a question about the sound quality on a900x. I just bought one recently, and I've been using it for 40 hrs. it sounds pretty dull, the treble is not bright enough and the bass sounds very soft and loose. I somehow feel like my old ath m50 sounds better than the a900x. The m50 has more clarity and the bass is much punchy (not boomy). Is all of these common? Does it need more burn-in? Or should I return this and get a pair of a1000x?

Everything you described is the opposite of what my A900X sounds like. Either there's something wrong with your A900X (could be fake or faulty), you don't have a proper seal, or you're just making stuff up for whatever reason. Strange that you're a brand new account and posted the same thing in 3 different A900X threads back to back to back.


Edited by Click - 12/13/14 at 4:03am
post #557 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirebond View Post
 

Very detail, I have a question about the sound quality on a900x. I just bought one recently, and I've been using it for 40 hrs. it sounds pretty dull, the treble is not bright enough and the bass sounds very soft and loose. I somehow feel like my old ath m50 sounds better than the a900x. The m50 has more clarity and the bass is much punchy (not boomy). Is all of these common? Does it need more burn-in? Or should I return this and get a pair of a1000x?

 

The A1000X has even less bass. They are bright, lean sounding headphones.

 

It might be that you're not getting a seal with the A900X.

post #558 of 565

The A900Xs aren't that much of a downgrade, but their sound is different, bigger, more upfront and 'in your face' than HD600s and you'll get that slight coloration most closed headphones have, some would call it 'cavernous', I would call it 'intimate'.

That said, they are open sounding at the same time which make them remarkable imho

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy View Post
 

Yes, HD600 are my primary cans, so thanks for that info. I was under the impression that ATH-A900X was not quite on the same level as HD600, but not "quite a downgrade", either. I'm having a hell of a time finding a closed equivalent to HD600 that isn't sibiilant and doesn't cost a ****load.


Edited by Mink - 12/13/14 at 6:41am
post #559 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirebond View Post
 

Very detail, I have a question about the sound quality on a900x. I just bought one recently, and I've been using it for 40 hrs. it sounds pretty dull, the treble is not bright enough and the bass sounds very soft and loose. I somehow feel like my old ath m50 sounds better than the a900x. The m50 has more clarity and the bass is much punchy (not boomy). Is all of these common? Does it need more burn-in? Or should I return this and get a pair of a1000x?

A900Xs are more balanced, overall their mids are more there, whereas their high mids and low treble (2-4Khz) are flatter in comparison with most closed headphones, A900Xs don't possess that obligatory peak in the low treble.

Coming from the M50s this may give you the sensation A900xs sound dull. I don't agree, but you have every right to feel this way, it is all subjective, there's no right and wrong here.

post #560 of 565
I bought it from Amazon and this is not a junk account. A900x does have more soundstage but it just doesn't feel as punchy as my m50 so far. I send 3 same post because I need an answer fast since im considering return it and get an pair of à1000x instead
post #561 of 565
Thanks for answering
post #562 of 565

Hi guys I think the A900X is what I'm looking for but after reading graphs for a while I figured I'd see if what I'm looking for matches what the A900X is capable of.

 

I listen to music at work almost the full 8 hours a day so I need something comfortable, preferably neutral or close to neutral but non-fatiguing at the same time, closed, and with a decent soundstage. Right now I have the K271 and DT770 Pro 80, and I'm thinking about replacing the 271 with an A900X because the former sounds just too nasal and has that usual slow mids that you get with some crappier closed-back designs. My DT770 is my bass monster can and I wanted a more neutral headphone to compliment it with as a secondary option at work. Do you think the A900X would be my ticket to better soundstage and non-fatiguing sound as an upgrade from the 271s for under $200, or should I also look at some other cans? Should I go with something like an NVX XPT100 instead for comfort reasons and a more neutral tonality? Thanks.


Edited by metal571 - 12/13/14 at 12:48pm
post #563 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal571 View Post
 

Hi guys I think the A900X is what I'm looking for but after reading graphs for a while I figured I'd see if what I'm looking for matches what the A900X is capable of.

 

I listen to music at work almost the full 8 hours a day so I need something comfortable, preferably neutral or close to neutral but non-fatiguing at the same time, closed, and with a decent soundstage. Right now I have the K271 and DT770 Pro 80, and I'm thinking about replacing the 271 with an A900X because the former sounds just too nasal and has that usual slow mids that you get with some crappier closed-back designs. My DT770 is my bass monster can and I wanted a more neutral headphone to compliment it with as a secondary option at work. Do you think the A900X would be my ticket to better soundstage and non-fatiguing sound as an upgrade from the 271s for under $200, or should I also look at some other cans? Should I go with something like an NVX XPT100 instead for comfort reasons and a more neutral tonality? Thanks.

I've said this before in this thread, but to my ears, the A900X is not a comfortable headphone. It makes my ears sweat, get hot, and eventually sore after wearing it for 1-2 hours. The ear cups are enormous and somewhat heavy. The opening is circular in shape (human ears are oval) and not big enough to fit my ears, so my ear tips get sore from the contact it makes with the ear cup. The A900X is really a supra-aural headphone with giant ear cups. The only way to fix the comfort issue is to replace the original pleather ear pads with velour ear pads, but doing so will dilute the sound quality.

 

That being said, A900X has great sound quality for the price they're selling at right now ($120-$150 used, ~$170 new). I can't find many faults with the sound. For a closed back headphone, they have very good soundstage. The details are also very good. Nice, non-fatiguing highs, lush mids, and punchy lows and sub bass. They're good with just about any genre and they're not difficult to drive either.

 

A900X is perhaps the top 3 best closed back headphone under $200 in my opinion. However, I don't listen to them that much anymore due to the comfort problem. Some might not have a problem with comfort. You should try them out and see for yourself. If you don't have any comfort issues and you don't mind some sound leakage at work, then A900X might be perfect for your needs. 

 

By the way, you might want to take a look at Sennheiser Momentum over ear. They're currently on sale right now for $145. They also have small opening on the ear pads though, so many find that their ears get sore and hot, just like A900X. At least the Momentum comes with real leather ear pads and are oval-shaped.


Edited by Click - 12/13/14 at 1:58pm
post #564 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink View Post
 

The A900Xs aren't that much of a downgrade, but their sound is different, bigger, more upfront and 'in your face' than HD600s and you'll get that slight coloration most closed headphones have, some would call it 'cavernous', I would call it 'intimate'.

That said, they are open sounding at the same time which make them remarkable imho

 

 

 

Thanks. What I want is a pair of well-sealed cans that sound as good as the HD600. I live in a small apartment in San Diego, so my windows are open virtually year-round. I love my HD600, but when it gets too noisy outside I want to be able to switch to sealed cans without feeling like I'm sacrificing sound quality for isolation. Before I got my HD600 I used ATH-M50 for years, so I understand the difference between open and closed sound. Besides sibiliance, I suppose detail is my main concern. If you listened to the HD600 for an hour then switched to the A900X, would you be disappointed, or would you feel that it sounded as good but different?

post #565 of 565

I always have to adjust to the sound when switching to another pair of headphones.

My A900Xs sound like crap the first minutes after I have used the Denon D5000s, but this goes the other way around as-well, my Denons sound very off when coming from the A900Xs. That said, my ears adjust pretty fast and I don't find the Denons (which are semi-closed headphones) superior in a musical way to the A900Xs. Technically they are, but I am not an audiophile so I don't care much about that, musicality and fun are my biggest priority :)

Since I don't own the HD600s (have heard them numerous times though) and don't have the same ears as yours I cannot safely say that you will not be disappointed.

But the A900xs and HD600s both are more mid-centric than the Denons, so tonal balance-like they are similar in a way, the difference lies more in their soundstage and openness, A900Xs have a more forward presentation, you may find them too aggressive, I don't mean they are harsh or sibilant, but HD600s are definitely more gentle and 'rounder' sounding.

Another issue: A900Xs are not as comfortable on your ears.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio-Technica ATH-A900X Thread. :)