or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio-Technica ATH-A900X Thread. :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-Technica ATH-A900X Thread. :) - Page 20

post #286 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwalnut View Post
 

Do you want them new or used? I'm going to pick up a refurbished pair on amazon.com or buydig from around $130-$150. Usually i wouldn't bother with the refurbished, but the way i see it is- person buys the a900x's brand new, tries it on, doesn't like the wing system/ear cups sag on their head, doesn't know about the elastic trick, sends them back to the manufacturer, manufacturer has to re-sell them as refurbished.

 

...And i reap all the benefits!!.... muhahahahahahah... MUHAHAHAHAHAHA.... >.> lol

 

New if the price is around 150-160.  I remember seeing these brand new at those prices.  I guess I missed it.

 

If it's refurbished that would be my ideal scenario too.  But you never know with the one that you get.

post #287 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by aural bliss View Post

 

New if the price is around 150-160.  I remember seeing these brand new at those prices.  I guess I missed it.

 

If it's refurbished that would be my ideal scenario too.  But you never know with the one that you get.

 



I bought mine, brand new at ebay for $159 + shipping to Canada. smily_headphones1.gif
post #288 of 708

I see it on ebay for $179 including shipping.  From Hong Kong though, not sure about it..

post #289 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by aural bliss View Post

I see it on ebay for $179 including shipping.  From Hong Kong though, not sure about it..


 



The seller was doctorvelocity, I just clicked on my purchased order and it's all gone. frown.gif Sorry..
post #290 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aural bliss View Post
 

I see it on ebay for $179 including shipping.  From Hong Kong though, not sure about it..

 



The seller was doctorvelocity, I just clicked on my purchased order and it's all gone. frown.gif Sorry..
 

 

The seller I'm  talking about is eglobaldigitalcameras.  They still have some available.

post #291 of 708

Just got these delivered :D - First thoughts 

Pros: The highs are AMAAAZING! Mids are really good too. Fantastic detail and very well balanced frequency response imo. 

Cons: None!

Meh/other thoughts: They could have slightly more bass. I don't know, it's kinda strange (not bad in any way), it's just that the depth and quantity of the bass sounds better in my akg k167s. On the other hand the quality is better from the ATs, just sounds "cleaner". 

The wing design. I have a relatively small head, while I can use them without issues of comfort, they sound better with the rubber band mod simply because they don't slide down. 

The only other issue I have with these is that my phone can't drive them very well (Galaxy nexus, I could drive the k167s fine), but that's not a fault of the headphones obviously. 

I can't wait for them to burn in, hopefully the bass will kick in more like it did in the k167s. What an absolute bargain for $170! 

 

I use these with 3 sources, laptop (with amp), desktop, and phone. I just have to put it up 25% on my laptop and it's perfect, drives them very well with good bass, highs and general oomph. Through desktop they sound ok, too quiet tho and no oomph. They're louder through my phone but the separation of frequencies is terrible, bass quality is poor and there are no extended highs. 


Edited by Aleckazee - 9/12/13 at 1:34am
post #292 of 708

Still amazes me how opinions differ from night and day. 

post #293 of 708

Boy was I wrong about the bass in these. I had the sound settings set up a bit strange from my old headphones. All I did was bass boost by +9db (under enhancements in sound settings) and they sound incredible. Violent - Tupac (for example) has heaps of deep bass and I always have to turn it down otherwise its just too much for me. I also tried increasing the bass even more just to see how far I could push these cans and my god.. the bass was just so intense. It got to a point where the headphones could have kept on going but I just couldn't handle the amount of bass being delivered to my ears. And there was no distortion either! The vocals and highs still sound great and well defined. I'm in love with these cans so much! 

 

I really think it depends on the source. If you have a good source these will be driven well with lots of impact. My laptop has a high(er) end integrated sound card and all I have to do is put it up to about 32% volume, 9db bass boost and I'm on another planet. My desktop has a standard integrated sound card and at 100% volume it is barely acceptable, and has no impact compared to the laptop. My phone is fairly loud (in between laptop and desktop) but I lose a lot of quality in the songs and the resolution is no where near as impressive. 

 

Laptop: Hp envy 14 

Desktop: (Motherboard - ASRock z77e-itx with integrated sound card)
Phone: Galaxy Nexus 

 

Can't believe something so good can cost $170. I'm seriously considering buying the open air version (AD-a900x) as well. Not sure how much better they would be considering these have amazing sound stage anyway, and sound pretty 'airy' for closed headphones imo. 

post #294 of 708
the AD and a 900 X a very different headphones the 900x has in a fun sound where as the ad's very open and will not have bass

if you want to try a bass heavy open can go for the beyer DT 990 it has a sound very similar to the a 900 X but slightly better because it's a fully open back can
post #295 of 708
Aleckazee I'm so glad that someone else found the potential of the bass in the a900x. I can agree that pushing the frequencies lower than 60hz an extra 30db can seriously make it seem like I'm sitting next to a bass drum. I would like to push the bass even more, but there's a rattling noise in the left driver if I do. Could it be a defect?
post #296 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post

Aleckazee I'm so glad that someone else found the potential of the bass in the a900x. I can agree that pushing the frequencies lower than 60hz an extra 30db can seriously make it seem like I'm sitting next to a bass drum. I would like to push the bass even more, but there's a rattling noise in the left driver if I do. Could it be a defect?

 

No that would be you OVER DRIVING the headphone. they are like little speakers drive them to hard and you damage the drivers. Since you've already pushed it that far it's only going to get worse :| seriously you might have already ruined your par as once they start to rattle they do not get better. If you bought them new I would seriously get a return or refund ASAP get a new pair and do NOT drive the bass that much again. 

post #297 of 708
Haha i'm aware of what I've done to these, I was just wondering if it was just me. Im glad you notified me of overdriving so I know it was just my fault. The headphones are still clear and crispy so I won't trouble audio technica by sending them a headphone that was abused by a curious kid. Anyhow, I got more bass pushed out of the a900x over the Dr dre detox. And still the instrument separation was better in the ath.
post #298 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post

Haha i'm aware of what I've done to these, I was just wondering if it was just me. Im glad you notified me of overdriving so I know it was just my fault. The headphones are still clear and crispy so I won't trouble audio technica by sending them a headphone that was abused by a curious kid. Anyhow, I got more bass pushed out of the a900x over the Dr dre detox. And still the instrument separation was better in the ath.

 

Indeed, it's a great can with some wonderful clarity. ALthough I highly recommend you get it repaired as the bass will soon start to rumble at lower and lower volumes. After about a year or so even at quiet volumes you may have rattling even then. Non the less, a warrenty protects your headphones. Tell ATH it's rattleing, why it rattles is irrelevant 

 

Still maybe in a few months you'll get an upgrade. But for resale pourposes [and I highly recommend you sell them to another new member here on head fi  :3 I'd get them repaird] 

post #299 of 708

30db is a bit too much I'd say. I've always sort of introduced more and more bass to new headphones gradually and at slightly higher volumes than I would normally listen to music at. Might be just me but it seems to burn them in nicely. There's no way I could boost the lower frequencies by 30db tho haha

post #300 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

the AD and a 900 X a very different headphones the 900x has in a fun sound where as the ad's very open and will not have bass

if you want to try a bass heavy open can go for the beyer DT 990 it has a sound very similar to the a 900 X but slightly better because it's a fully open back can

 

Thank's I'll check them out. I want to look into the ADs as well tho cause these have plenty of bass for me and I already know I like AT

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio-Technica ATH-A900X Thread. :)