Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › DAP that leans towards a "warm" sound?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DAP that leans towards a "warm" sound? - Page 5

post #61 of 70
I find my 5.5g wins because of playlist capabilities. Never found a good playlist solution for the X7.
post #62 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post

Compared to the J3, I can say the ipod 5.5 w/Rockbox is definitely warm-sounding. If only it had the battery life of my J3....
 

Do you know how the iMod (& I think you can put Rockbox on it from memory?) would compare with the J3 in terms of SQ?

 

Think I saw another thread on the J3 vs iMod and people felt that the J3 was better overall?

 

I read up on the iMod a bit and it seems people think there are better options out there...

post #63 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

The Zune HD is not a dark sounding DAP at all.

really... have you owned one :o. I'm not saying it was warm, rather the bass was bloated in my opion and a little exagerated compared to my Hifiman Hm 601. Now for EDM music it was great I even used the "accoustic" eq setting which made it even darker! But imo compared to me Pc at home set up and my Hifiman the Zune HD was dark... too much bass, poor highs [to my ears anyways] 

post #64 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post

Do you know how the iMod (& I think you can put Rockbox on it from memory?) would compare with the J3 in terms of SQ?

 

Think I saw another thread on the J3 vs iMod and people felt that the J3 was better overall?

 

I read up on the iMod a bit and it seems people think there are better options out there...


I don't, to be honest. I prefer the stock 5.5 w.Rockbox to the J3 as far as sound is concerned. The J3 kills it for battery life and portability - it's very, very light. I would get another 5.5 if I knew for certain that I could get 20 hours of battery life playing flac at 75% volume - I've only used my wife's, and I think I was getting 10-12 max (could it just be old and need a new battery?)

post #65 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post


I don't, to be honest. I prefer the stock 5.5 w.Rockbox to the J3 as far as sound is concerned. The J3 kills it for battery life and portability - it's very, very light. I would get another 5.5 if I knew for certain that I could get 20 hours of battery life playing flac at 75% volume - I've only used my wife's, and I think I was getting 10-12 max (could it just be old and need a new battery?)

LAWL 20 hours... q.q I get about 4hours max with my hifiman hm 601 with line out *cries a little* 

 

still very nice

post #66 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

really... have you owned one :o. I'm not saying it was warm, rather the bass was bloated in my opion and a little exagerated compared to my Hifiman Hm 601. Now for EDM music it was great I even used the "accoustic" eq setting which made it even darker! But imo compared to me Pc at home set up and my Hifiman the Zune HD was dark... too much bass, poor highs [to my ears anyways] 

Yes, I had a 64GB model, and to me its sound was on the bright side. I used to use it with an amp just to give it some more bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post


I don't, to be honest. I prefer the stock 5.5 w.Rockbox to the J3 as far as sound is concerned. The J3 kills it for battery life and portability - it's very, very light. I would get another 5.5 if I knew for certain that I could get 20 hours of battery life playing flac at 75% volume - I've only used my wife's, and I think I was getting 10-12 max (could it just be old and need a new battery?)

One thing...when I mentioned 20 hours play time with my 5.5, that was not playing lossless files...it was all high bitrate lossy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

LAWL 20 hours... q.q I get about 4hours max with my hifiman hm 601 with line out *cries a little* 

 

still very nice

4 hours? That's sad...my Rockboxed Clip Zips get over 15 hours....lol.

post #67 of 70
I haven't measured it exactly, but I get good life from my 5.5g rockboxed iPod even with 240Gb HDD and 90% FLAC. It's not weeks like my X7 ;-) but I think around 20 hours or so is about right.

FWIW it's surprisingly easy to replace the battery too (with the right tools)
post #68 of 70

I wish batteries could be upgraded like storage - pay a bit more money = longer battery life.

post #69 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post

I wish batteries could be upgraded like storage - pay a bit more money = longer battery life.


On some DAPs you can do that.

post #70 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Yes, I had a 64GB model, and to me its sound was on the bright side. I used to use it with an amp just to give it some more bass.
One thing...when I mentioned 20 hours play time with my 5.5, that was not playing lossless files...it was all high bitrate lossy. 
4 hours? That's sad...my Rockboxed Clip Zips get over 15 hours....lol.

I know xD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › DAP that leans towards a "warm" sound?