- 8,662 Posts. Joined 12/2002
- Location: OKC
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- product1964 Ears V3 Triple Driver Custom IEMtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAnalog Design Labs Svetlana 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudience AURIC OHNO Sennheiser Cabletagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAuraliti PK90 USBtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productCable Pro Reverie Mini-to-Mini 1fttagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productFirestone Audio - Bobby - Pure-Class-A, Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productIcon Audio HP8 MKIItagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSensaphonics 3MAXtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SRA-12Stagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Effect Audio Thor cables for IEMs and full sized headphones (in both Silver and SPC form) Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audition Beyer T1 and/or HD800 in the Triangle area, NC Last post on 11/21/13 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dynamic, orthodynamic, and electrostatic - Your top picks for each Last post on 8/23/13 at 1:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/25/15
Just on sound quality, meh. It's very quiet, and detailed, but on my main headphones, AKG K712, the mid-treble balance is just too bright. The bass is nice and deep and honest, and midrange is OK,...
Review under construction.
It might be one of your favorite cans if you pay an intense listen to them for a few hours. Really its a steal while you might get it for 60ish or 80ish. I got mine for 75 ish. I still wonder why...
The MEE Audio RX18P was sent to me from MEE Audio with the intention to compare it to some of the most popular Chinese budget offerings and let Mike know the result of my findings. The ida was not...
In the audio world, nobody can say we don’t have a tonne of choice available to us. Some audition gear with slight differences to find the piece that truly stands out to them. This...
Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread - Page 63post #931 of 11876/17/14 at 5:26pmComputer for USB, Rotel RDD-980 transport for coaxial.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #932 of 11876/17/14 at 6:01pm
Wow. So no differences at all? I wonder why my laptop and X5 sound so different then!?post #933 of 11877/27/14 at 12:14ampost #934 of 11877/27/14 at 6:02amThread StarterQuote:
Every computer is different, and transports using SPDIF are not all created equally either.Quote:
I discuss this a lot in my DA8 review. See my profile for the link. They are both quite good in their own ways.post #935 of 11877/27/14 at 11:10ampost #936 of 11877/27/14 at 2:53pmpost #937 of 11877/27/14 at 11:05pmQuote:
The X-Sabre doesn't use the USB 5v so I doubt it would make much of a difference.
If anything I think the best thing to do it to tape over the 5v contact on your USB cable so there is no power in the cable at all.post #938 of 11877/27/14 at 11:19pmpost #939 of 11877/28/14 at 3:16pm
I wonder how the X-Sabre compares to the NFB-7. The NFB does crush it on part count alone [3 R-cores, over 40.000uF, size and weight] but that's obviously not my deciding factor. The X-Sabre is slightly cheaper though.
SQ would be pretty similar [at least that's my guess] but I believe the X-Sabre is a bit warmer while the NFB-7 is comparatively brighter.
My current pairing is Compass 2 DAC - SA-31SE - HE-560.
SA-31 is staying as a competent amplifier and the Compass2 is likewise a very competent standalone DAC... I really like the pairing.
But I don't want anything brighter DAC wise, so I suspect the NFB-7 would be the more synergetic option [again, a guess].
The DAC is to stay for some time, and so is the SA31SE. It should be a potential end-game and future proof device [which they both are].
Thanks!post #940 of 11877/30/14 at 7:59ampost #941 of 11877/30/14 at 1:51pmQuote:
Sorry, haven't tried. I use MediaMonkey which doesn't yet support DSD (which is fine for me) and have never found upsampling preferable.
Having said that, I'd still be very interested in hearing others' thoughts on this.post #942 of 11877/30/14 at 2:22pmpost #943 of 11877/30/14 at 3:54pmpost #944 of 11877/31/14 at 2:09am
Quite frankly, I like it. It sounds somewhat smoother. Might be placebo (since I used a lot of time getting it right), but that's why we're in this hobby right? ;)post #945 of 11877/31/14 at 3:04pm
I tried it out on occasion and found it made for a much smoother if less resolved sound. Personally I didn't like it as I felt it was not a true rendition of the recording and that it was not as good as listening to well recorded PCM or DSD files. It may make bad recordings sound a bit more listenable.
In reality what is happening is the conversion process is adding sympathetic distortion. See: http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/09/measurements-pcm-to-dsd-upsampling.html
Someone told me there was a better way to convert files with less distortion, but I can't remember what that was.
- Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 second ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 52 seconds ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 56 seconds ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!! 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 5 minutes ago
- › Shanling M3 5 minutes ago
- › The Headphone Driver Pics Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 9 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 9 minutes ago
- › Lime Ears Aether - Ciem Flagship - discussion, review, and... 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by eriksq
- › MusicMaker TK13 by Paulpark222
- › Philips SHP9500 by Mosauwer
- › MEE Audio RX18 Comfort-Fit In-Ear Headphones with Enhanced Bass... by peter123
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Aornic
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Dobrescu George
- › Yamaha EPH-M100 High-Performance Earphones by Nymphonomaniac
- › PMV A-01 HYBIRD IEM by peter123
- › Cayin N5 DSD Lossless Music Player by H20Fidelity
- › Campfire Audio Orion by piksnz
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse