- 8,662 Posts. Joined 12/2002
- Location: OKC
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- product1964 Ears V3 Triple Driver Custom IEMtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAnalog Design Labs Svetlana 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudience AURIC OHNO Sennheiser Cabletagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAuraliti PK90 USBtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productCable Pro Reverie Mini-to-Mini 1fttagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productFirestone Audio - Bobby - Pure-Class-A, Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productIcon Audio HP8 MKIItagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSensaphonics 3MAXtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SRA-12Stagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Effect Audio Thor cables for IEMs and full sized headphones (in both Silver and SPC form) Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audition Beyer T1 and/or HD800 in the Triangle area, NC Last post on 11/21/13 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dynamic, orthodynamic, and electrostatic - Your top picks for each Last post on 8/23/13 at 1:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/25/15
I bought the SMSL sApII as a stop-gap after my Little Dot MKIII failed after 5 years of use, five hours a day. No complaints there! I just don't have the money to upgrade just now! I have invested...
Introduction: Lend Me UR ears, based in Singapore is an online and physical store that opened in December 2011 with a goal to “bring quality audio products to the masses and providing good...
I got the same kind but of course in purple Philips SHE3590PP/28 In-Ear Headphones (Purple) - there is basically no based and I had to turn the volume way up to hear sound that didn't sound cheap.
Soundaware M1 Pro / “Esther” – initial impressions I had the opportunity to listen to the Soundaware M1 Pro as part of the recent UK and North American tours that the company have...
Bought these after receiving the Massdrop HE-350s which were just too treble-forward for my taste. I listen to a lot of music when at work. Desk space is limited, so I can't justify running an...
Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread - Page 63post #931 of 12166/17/14 at 5:26pmComputer for USB, Rotel RDD-980 transport for coaxial.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #932 of 12166/17/14 at 6:01pm
Wow. So no differences at all? I wonder why my laptop and X5 sound so different then!?post #933 of 12167/27/14 at 12:14ampost #934 of 12167/27/14 at 6:02amThread StarterQuote:
Every computer is different, and transports using SPDIF are not all created equally either.Quote:
I discuss this a lot in my DA8 review. See my profile for the link. They are both quite good in their own ways.post #935 of 12167/27/14 at 11:10ampost #936 of 12167/27/14 at 2:53pmpost #937 of 12167/27/14 at 11:05pmQuote:
The X-Sabre doesn't use the USB 5v so I doubt it would make much of a difference.
If anything I think the best thing to do it to tape over the 5v contact on your USB cable so there is no power in the cable at all.post #938 of 12167/27/14 at 11:19pmpost #939 of 12167/28/14 at 3:16pm
I wonder how the X-Sabre compares to the NFB-7. The NFB does crush it on part count alone [3 R-cores, over 40.000uF, size and weight] but that's obviously not my deciding factor. The X-Sabre is slightly cheaper though.
SQ would be pretty similar [at least that's my guess] but I believe the X-Sabre is a bit warmer while the NFB-7 is comparatively brighter.
My current pairing is Compass 2 DAC - SA-31SE - HE-560.
SA-31 is staying as a competent amplifier and the Compass2 is likewise a very competent standalone DAC... I really like the pairing.
But I don't want anything brighter DAC wise, so I suspect the NFB-7 would be the more synergetic option [again, a guess].
The DAC is to stay for some time, and so is the SA31SE. It should be a potential end-game and future proof device [which they both are].
Thanks!post #940 of 12167/30/14 at 7:59ampost #941 of 12167/30/14 at 1:51pmQuote:
Sorry, haven't tried. I use MediaMonkey which doesn't yet support DSD (which is fine for me) and have never found upsampling preferable.
Having said that, I'd still be very interested in hearing others' thoughts on this.post #942 of 12167/30/14 at 2:22pmpost #943 of 12167/30/14 at 3:54pmpost #944 of 12167/31/14 at 2:09am
Quite frankly, I like it. It sounds somewhat smoother. Might be placebo (since I used a lot of time getting it right), but that's why we're in this hobby right? ;)post #945 of 12167/31/14 at 3:04pm
I tried it out on occasion and found it made for a much smoother if less resolved sound. Personally I didn't like it as I felt it was not a true rendition of the recording and that it was not as good as listening to well recorded PCM or DSD files. It may make bad recordings sound a bit more listenable.
In reality what is happening is the conversion process is adding sympathetic distortion. See: http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/09/measurements-pcm-to-dsd-upsampling.html
Someone told me there was a better way to convert files with less distortion, but I can't remember what that was.
- Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 22 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone 43 seconds ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR-V150 Anti-Muddy Mod 1 minute ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 3 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW... 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 5 minutes ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 5 minutes ago
- › SMSL sApII TPA6120A2 Big Power High Fidelity Stereo Headphone... by richyboy
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by crabdog
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by Prosie
- › Soundaware Esther by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by MaximumEnnui
- › Cayin iDAC-6 by EvenR
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Brooko
- › The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Series 3 Hifi Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › Bowers & Wilkins P3 by foobar2015
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...