- 8,662 Posts. Joined 12/2002
- Location: OKC
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- product1964 Ears V3 Triple Driver Custom IEMtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAnalog Design Labs Svetlana 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudience AURIC OHNO Sennheiser Cabletagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAuraliti PK90 USBtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productCable Pro Reverie Mini-to-Mini 1fttagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productFirestone Audio - Bobby - Pure-Class-A, Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productIcon Audio HP8 MKIItagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSensaphonics 3MAXtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SRA-12Stagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Effect Audio Thor cables for IEMs and full sized headphones (in both Silver and SPC form) Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audition Beyer T1 and/or HD800 in the Triangle area, NC Last post on 11/21/13 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dynamic, orthodynamic, and electrostatic - Your top picks for each Last post on 8/23/13 at 1:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/25/15
Nuforce HEM4 – impressions and comparison with HEM2 After listening to the HEM2s recently courtesy of the Nuforce Massdrop, I managed to pick up a pair of the next model in their HEM series (the...
http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ Preamble: I was honored to receive an invitation to join in the Delta test of the pre-production Shozy Zero By NLNH around April 16th. I received...
Background: I am not an audiophile, I just like to enjoy music in good quality. This writing is more like a collection of subjective experience and impressions rather than a professional review....
These headphones need to be amped. If you choose to use them without doing so, they will sound weak and lifeless. The complaints I read about seem to me to be with people that haven't synergized...
For my taste are too analitical cans.I try to remove the high frequencies sibiling using several different tips...shure triple compy foam....nothing they remain too harsh for my tasty. I also...
Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread - Page 63post #931 of 11946/17/14 at 5:26pmComputer for USB, Rotel RDD-980 transport for coaxial.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #932 of 11946/17/14 at 6:01pm
Wow. So no differences at all? I wonder why my laptop and X5 sound so different then!?post #933 of 11947/27/14 at 12:14ampost #934 of 11947/27/14 at 6:02amThread StarterQuote:
Every computer is different, and transports using SPDIF are not all created equally either.Quote:
I discuss this a lot in my DA8 review. See my profile for the link. They are both quite good in their own ways.post #935 of 11947/27/14 at 11:10ampost #936 of 11947/27/14 at 2:53pmpost #937 of 11947/27/14 at 11:05pmQuote:
The X-Sabre doesn't use the USB 5v so I doubt it would make much of a difference.
If anything I think the best thing to do it to tape over the 5v contact on your USB cable so there is no power in the cable at all.post #938 of 11947/27/14 at 11:19pmpost #939 of 11947/28/14 at 3:16pm
I wonder how the X-Sabre compares to the NFB-7. The NFB does crush it on part count alone [3 R-cores, over 40.000uF, size and weight] but that's obviously not my deciding factor. The X-Sabre is slightly cheaper though.
SQ would be pretty similar [at least that's my guess] but I believe the X-Sabre is a bit warmer while the NFB-7 is comparatively brighter.
My current pairing is Compass 2 DAC - SA-31SE - HE-560.
SA-31 is staying as a competent amplifier and the Compass2 is likewise a very competent standalone DAC... I really like the pairing.
But I don't want anything brighter DAC wise, so I suspect the NFB-7 would be the more synergetic option [again, a guess].
The DAC is to stay for some time, and so is the SA31SE. It should be a potential end-game and future proof device [which they both are].
Thanks!post #940 of 11947/30/14 at 7:59ampost #941 of 11947/30/14 at 1:51pmQuote:
Sorry, haven't tried. I use MediaMonkey which doesn't yet support DSD (which is fine for me) and have never found upsampling preferable.
Having said that, I'd still be very interested in hearing others' thoughts on this.post #942 of 11947/30/14 at 2:22pmpost #943 of 11947/30/14 at 3:54pmpost #944 of 11947/31/14 at 2:09am
Quite frankly, I like it. It sounds somewhat smoother. Might be placebo (since I used a lot of time getting it right), but that's why we're in this hobby right? ;)post #945 of 11947/31/14 at 3:04pm
I tried it out on occasion and found it made for a much smoother if less resolved sound. Personally I didn't like it as I felt it was not a true rendition of the recording and that it was not as good as listening to well recorded PCM or DSD files. It may make bad recordings sound a bit more listenable.
In reality what is happening is the conversion process is adding sympathetic distortion. See: http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/09/measurements-pcm-to-dsd-upsampling.html
Someone told me there was a better way to convert files with less distortion, but I can't remember what that was.
- Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › A Bit of Music and a Bit of Fun 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audiophilleo 2 with PurePower 5 minutes ago
- › KENNERTON VALI - IMPRESSIONS, DISCUSSION, TOUR 6 minutes ago
- › $399 Apple iPod Touch 6G with 128GB storage and A8 chip 7 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 8 minutes ago
- › Getting a good set-up with Spotify and Apple gear as source 9 minutes ago
- › Well-reviewed Fostex TH-500RP planar magnetics now on sale for $329 9 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD Reference 7.1 10 minutes ago
- › Almi's Logitech Z-5500 Mod (High-End upgrade for the speaker system) 11 minutes ago
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Aornic
- › oBravo EAMT-3w Hybrid Dynamic Driver and Heil Air Motion Transducer... by glassmonkey
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...