- 8,662 Posts. Joined 12/2002
- Location: OKC
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- product1964 Ears V3 Triple Driver Custom IEMtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAnalog Design Labs Svetlana 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudience AURIC OHNO Sennheiser Cabletagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAuraliti PK90 USBtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productCable Pro Reverie Mini-to-Mini 1fttagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productFirestone Audio - Bobby - Pure-Class-A, Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productIcon Audio HP8 MKIItagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSensaphonics 3MAXtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SRA-12Stagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Effect Audio Thor cables for IEMs and full sized headphones (in both Silver and SPC form) Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audition Beyer T1 and/or HD800 in the Triangle area, NC Last post on 11/21/13 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dynamic, orthodynamic, and electrostatic - Your top picks for each Last post on 8/23/13 at 1:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/25/15
Most people balk at spending more than $20 on a pair of headphones, given the disposable history of a typical portable consumer headphones for the past 35 years. Music lovers who do invest in a...
It’s Black Friday, and what’s more black than to buy a good pair of headphones for your favorite rocker or metalhead. Today the headphone audiophile community is buzzing about what may become a...
The evolution of headphones has been fascinating to watch over the years. Pretty much everyone aged 50 and younger has grown up using headphones, and have owned many, many pairs. Some may remember...
Acknowledgment Thanks 1MORE UK for providing this review sample in return for my honest opinion.IntroductionI heard about 1MORE from a fellow HeadFier, @canali, who told me I should check out the...
I just bought this headphone this week. In the stores, I tested the headphone selections using Samsung Galaxy S7 Exynos version and Spotify's Extreme Quality. MDR-1A was the best during my test in...
Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread - Page 63post #931 of 12286/17/14 at 5:26pmComputer for USB, Rotel RDD-980 transport for coaxial.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #932 of 12286/17/14 at 6:01pm
Wow. So no differences at all? I wonder why my laptop and X5 sound so different then!?post #933 of 12287/27/14 at 12:14ampost #934 of 12287/27/14 at 6:02amThread StarterQuote:
Every computer is different, and transports using SPDIF are not all created equally either.Quote:
I discuss this a lot in my DA8 review. See my profile for the link. They are both quite good in their own ways.post #935 of 12287/27/14 at 11:10ampost #936 of 12287/27/14 at 2:53pmpost #937 of 12287/27/14 at 11:05pmQuote:
The X-Sabre doesn't use the USB 5v so I doubt it would make much of a difference.
If anything I think the best thing to do it to tape over the 5v contact on your USB cable so there is no power in the cable at all.post #938 of 12287/27/14 at 11:19pmpost #939 of 12287/28/14 at 3:16pm
I wonder how the X-Sabre compares to the NFB-7. The NFB does crush it on part count alone [3 R-cores, over 40.000uF, size and weight] but that's obviously not my deciding factor. The X-Sabre is slightly cheaper though.
SQ would be pretty similar [at least that's my guess] but I believe the X-Sabre is a bit warmer while the NFB-7 is comparatively brighter.
My current pairing is Compass 2 DAC - SA-31SE - HE-560.
SA-31 is staying as a competent amplifier and the Compass2 is likewise a very competent standalone DAC... I really like the pairing.
But I don't want anything brighter DAC wise, so I suspect the NFB-7 would be the more synergetic option [again, a guess].
The DAC is to stay for some time, and so is the SA31SE. It should be a potential end-game and future proof device [which they both are].
Thanks!post #940 of 12287/30/14 at 7:59ampost #941 of 12287/30/14 at 1:51pmQuote:
Sorry, haven't tried. I use MediaMonkey which doesn't yet support DSD (which is fine for me) and have never found upsampling preferable.
Having said that, I'd still be very interested in hearing others' thoughts on this.post #942 of 12287/30/14 at 2:22pmpost #943 of 12287/30/14 at 3:54pmpost #944 of 12287/31/14 at 2:09am
Quite frankly, I like it. It sounds somewhat smoother. Might be placebo (since I used a lot of time getting it right), but that's why we're in this hobby right? ;)post #945 of 12287/31/14 at 3:04pm
I tried it out on occasion and found it made for a much smoother if less resolved sound. Personally I didn't like it as I felt it was not a true rendition of the recording and that it was not as good as listening to well recorded PCM or DSD files. It may make bad recordings sound a bit more listenable.
In reality what is happening is the conversion process is adding sympathetic distortion. See: http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/09/measurements-pcm-to-dsd-upsampling.html
Someone told me there was a better way to convert files with less distortion, but I can't remember what that was.
- Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 16 seconds ago
- › Objectivists board room 17 seconds ago
- › Any headfi-ers in Connecticut? 28 seconds ago
- › Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run! 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › BeyerDynamic DT 1990 PRO 250 Ohm Open Studio Headphones (710490) by Fastnbulbous
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by Fastnbulbous
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Fastnbulbous
- › 1MORE MK801 Over-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and Remote... by glassmonkey
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by zamroni
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless by Rafique Adzam
- › Mcdodo Lightning to Audio Cable (for iPhone 7) w/ charging function by Webkarma
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › TFZ Series 1 by pinoyman
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by peter123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...