- 8,662 Posts. Joined 12/2002
- Location: OKC
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- product1964 Ears V3 Triple Driver Custom IEMtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAnalog Design Labs Svetlana 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudience AURIC OHNO Sennheiser Cabletagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAuraliti PK90 USBtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productCable Pro Reverie Mini-to-Mini 1fttagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productFirestone Audio - Bobby - Pure-Class-A, Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productIcon Audio HP8 MKIItagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSensaphonics 3MAXtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SRA-12Stagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Effect Audio Thor cables for IEMs and full sized headphones (in both Silver and SPC form) Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audition Beyer T1 and/or HD800 in the Triangle area, NC Last post on 11/21/13 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dynamic, orthodynamic, and electrostatic - Your top picks for each Last post on 8/23/13 at 1:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/25/15
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION I'd watched the growth of MEE Audio over the years, first as Meelectronics, and then more recently as...
At the time this review was written, the Edifier P220 was listed for sale on Amazon. Here is a link to their listing of the...
I loved these Bluetooth earphones,was pme of my best buys, I got them for a shade under $30 at https://www.chinavasion.com/. The earphones come with a bag of silicon clips and different size...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a quick and dirty look at the YHC S600, yet another outstanding hyper-budget earphone worthy of consideration. What the S600 brings to the...
Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread - Page 63post #931 of 12076/17/14 at 5:26pmComputer for USB, Rotel RDD-980 transport for coaxial.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #932 of 12076/17/14 at 6:01pm
Wow. So no differences at all? I wonder why my laptop and X5 sound so different then!?post #933 of 12077/27/14 at 12:14ampost #934 of 12077/27/14 at 6:02amThread StarterQuote:
Every computer is different, and transports using SPDIF are not all created equally either.Quote:
I discuss this a lot in my DA8 review. See my profile for the link. They are both quite good in their own ways.post #935 of 12077/27/14 at 11:10ampost #936 of 12077/27/14 at 2:53pmpost #937 of 12077/27/14 at 11:05pmQuote:
The X-Sabre doesn't use the USB 5v so I doubt it would make much of a difference.
If anything I think the best thing to do it to tape over the 5v contact on your USB cable so there is no power in the cable at all.post #938 of 12077/27/14 at 11:19pmpost #939 of 12077/28/14 at 3:16pm
I wonder how the X-Sabre compares to the NFB-7. The NFB does crush it on part count alone [3 R-cores, over 40.000uF, size and weight] but that's obviously not my deciding factor. The X-Sabre is slightly cheaper though.
SQ would be pretty similar [at least that's my guess] but I believe the X-Sabre is a bit warmer while the NFB-7 is comparatively brighter.
My current pairing is Compass 2 DAC - SA-31SE - HE-560.
SA-31 is staying as a competent amplifier and the Compass2 is likewise a very competent standalone DAC... I really like the pairing.
But I don't want anything brighter DAC wise, so I suspect the NFB-7 would be the more synergetic option [again, a guess].
The DAC is to stay for some time, and so is the SA31SE. It should be a potential end-game and future proof device [which they both are].
Thanks!post #940 of 12077/30/14 at 7:59ampost #941 of 12077/30/14 at 1:51pmQuote:
Sorry, haven't tried. I use MediaMonkey which doesn't yet support DSD (which is fine for me) and have never found upsampling preferable.
Having said that, I'd still be very interested in hearing others' thoughts on this.post #942 of 12077/30/14 at 2:22pmpost #943 of 12077/30/14 at 3:54pmpost #944 of 12077/31/14 at 2:09am
Quite frankly, I like it. It sounds somewhat smoother. Might be placebo (since I used a lot of time getting it right), but that's why we're in this hobby right? ;)post #945 of 12077/31/14 at 3:04pm
I tried it out on occasion and found it made for a much smoother if less resolved sound. Personally I didn't like it as I felt it was not a true rendition of the recording and that it was not as good as listening to well recorded PCM or DSD files. It may make bad recordings sound a bit more listenable.
In reality what is happening is the conversion process is adding sympathetic distortion. See: http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/09/measurements-pcm-to-dsd-upsampling.html
Someone told me there was a better way to convert files with less distortion, but I can't remember what that was.
- Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 1 minute ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 1 minute ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 2 minutes ago
- › MP3 vs. FLAC (Split from Modi Multibit thread) 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Damping Mechanical Energy Distortion of STAX and other phones with... 4 minutes ago
- › Gooey and warm sounding tube amp for HD800S 6 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 8 minutes ago
- › Edifier Rave MP700 by dnun8086
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Brooko
- › Edifier P220 In-Ear Chrome Design Headphones With Microphone - Blue by Hisoundfi
- › EasGear Morul U5 Waterproof Wireless Earbuds by James Mash
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by Pastapipo
- › YHC S600 by B9Scrambler
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by dlo13
- › Fostex TH 900 by roxrite
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Shini44
- › Fischer Audio Omega Spark by crabdog
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...