I couldn't find any official info on this, but I suppose the X-Sabre uses the DoP (DSD over PCM) protocol for DSD playback?
Recent Images In This Thread
- product1964 Ears V3 Triple Driver Custom IEMtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAnalog Design Labs Svetlana 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudience AURIC OHNO Sennheiser Cabletagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAuraliti PK90 USBtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productCable Pro Reverie Mini-to-Mini 1fttagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productFirestone Audio - Bobby - Pure-Class-A, Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productIcon Audio HP8 MKIItagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSensaphonics 3MAXtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SRA-12Stagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Effect Audio Thor cables for IEMs and full sized headphones (in both Silver and SPC form) Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audition Beyer T1 and/or HD800 in the Triangle area, NC Last post on 11/21/13 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dynamic, orthodynamic, and electrostatic - Your top picks for each Last post on 8/23/13 at 1:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/25/15
The ONKYO A800 is a very impressive headphone indeed, and I believe it has the potential to really earn a following among headphone enthusiasts. To be sure, we are in an unprecedented...
Last year I was so excited buying the Walkman Zx2 and Z7 from Sony, and I was gradually enjoying the better of real quality audio when I am stepping back into the portable world. I feel that now...
First off, thanks to Pandora from Brainwavz for reaching out and offering the opportunity to look at the "Jive". Secondly, I noticed a trend that I'm giving 4 stars to everything I've reviewed...
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread - Page 30post #436 of 11964/8/13 at 8:39am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #437 of 11964/8/13 at 8:51amQuote:
Yes. It uses DoP. Works fine with JRiver MC18. Foobar has some plug-ins which will let you do that as well.
Edited by purrin - 4/8/13 at 8:52ampost #438 of 11964/8/13 at 9:05amThread Starter
Purrin beat me to it but I was gonna say - yes, it seems to use DoP when using JRiver. But (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) when using Foobar with the ASIO driver, I believe it's doing native playback. That's why installation and configuration is way more complicated with Foobar compared to JRiver.post #439 of 11964/8/13 at 11:00ampost #440 of 11964/8/13 at 11:13am
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get Foobar working with the X-Sabre via ASIO or WASAPI. First sign that I'm getting old, when I can't figure out technology anymore.
Edited by Questhate - 4/8/13 at 11:15ampost #441 of 11964/8/13 at 11:21ampost #442 of 11964/8/13 at 12:31pmThread StarterQuote:
OK maybe I worded that wrong... per your first link, Ted Brady (who is around here somewhere in this thread - hi Ted!) described DoP as "a clever way for DAC manufacturers to not have to each write their own ASIO drivers to directly access DSD". X-Sabre does have ASIO drivers so I figure when using that with Foobar, we are not using DoP. Not that it matters much in the end.Quote:
Email Arthur and he can help - it's a little tricky at first but you'll get it. Just have to make sure you do each step which can get confusing. And once you are done, you'll probably have a huge list of devices to choose from - make sure you choose the right one.post #443 of 11964/8/13 at 1:23pmQuote:
Dood, just pay up for JRiver and stop fricking around with Foobar. Life's too short once you get older. Paying 1/24 of the price of your DAC for software to alleviate such headaches is well worth it.post #444 of 11964/8/13 at 1:40pmpost #445 of 11964/8/13 at 1:55pm
JRiver isn't the end-all solution. Learning how to set up the DAC with your computer is. Foobar is a great product and is even better when you think how much it costs... NOTHING!
post #446 of 11964/8/13 at 1:57pmpost #447 of 11964/8/13 at 2:22pm
That's what I said to myself while purchasing JRiver until I realized it was still in Alpha phase for the Mac...post #448 of 11964/8/13 at 2:24pmpost #449 of 11964/8/13 at 2:25pmpost #450 of 11964/8/13 at 3:21pmQuote:Quote:Quote:
Yeah, I've done everything -- X-Sabre ASIO, X-Sabre WASAPI, set up a generic ASIO driver. It can't lock onto DSD with Foobar for some reason. I can convert to PCM just fine though.
Not a big deal anyway since JRiver works just fine. Just frustrating that I can't crack the code. I'm not even 30 yet and having a "sonny, please help me set up my VCR" moment.
Anyway, as far as impressions go, I haven't had much time at all to listen. Out of the box, I was disappointed in the treble glare and bass bloom which made things a bit hazy. I've had it on since Thursday and did a bit of listening last night. It's definitely smoothed out and tightened up since then. There's still some glare there on certain recordings that definitely wasn't there on the Gungnir though.
I'm now reading through Purrin and Anax's review and agree with a lot of it. It digs deeper than the Gungnir, but sounds rougher in patches overall. There's more detail, but it's grainier so at times it's jarring to the point I wished that it was smoothed over. My priorities are tonal balance and listenability (lack of jarring flaws) over technicalities, so I'm fairly lukewarm to the X-Sabre for now. It is a more relaxed and open presentation than the dynamic, upfront Gungnir, so I can see someone preferring it for that. I hate a term as nebulous as "PRaT", but that's something I felt the Gungnir was very good at that I'm missing with the X-Sabre. The one part of their review I'd disagree with is "continuousness" where they rated the X-Sabre and Gungnir the same, but I feel the Gungnir wins quite handily on that dimension. (EDIT: Looks like I have reading comprehension issues. I was looking at the wrong row, as they noted liquidity of Gungnir wins)
Need to do more listening and maybe tube rolling before finalizing any opinion, but those are the aspects that jumped out at me last night.
Edited by Questhate - 4/8/13 at 4:20pm
- Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › The AK320 thread 20 seconds ago
- › Transform your Journey - Sennheiser PXC 550 Wireless headphones... 1 minute ago
- › SoundMAGIC Vento P55 (New & Refined) Head-Fi Reviewers Wanted! 1 minute ago
- › Any hope for browsing by Genre -> Album insead of Genre -> Song? 2 minutes ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio E18 2 minutes ago
- › X3 2nd Gen database 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 5 minutes ago
- › [Review] MOLT Mstick LED Light Stick 6 minutes ago
- › The DIY'rs Cookbook 6 minutes ago
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...