I couldn't find any official info on this, but I suppose the X-Sabre uses the DoP (DSD over PCM) protocol for DSD playback?
Recent Images In This Thread
- product1964 Ears V3 Triple Driver Custom IEMtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAnalog Design Labs Svetlana 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudience AURIC OHNO Sennheiser Cabletagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAuraliti PK90 USBtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productCable Pro Reverie Mini-to-Mini 1fttagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productFirestone Audio - Bobby - Pure-Class-A, Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productIcon Audio HP8 MKIItagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSensaphonics 3MAXtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SRA-12Stagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Effect Audio Thor cables for IEMs and full sized headphones (in both Silver and SPC form) Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audition Beyer T1 and/or HD800 in the Triangle area, NC Last post on 11/21/13 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dynamic, orthodynamic, and electrostatic - Your top picks for each Last post on 8/23/13 at 1:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
A very good DAC and headphone AMP for the price. A clear improvement in sound quality from my laptop for headphones, even ones that already sounded good, this gives a much cleaner,clearer and more...
This is my first really good quality Digital Audio Player. I have used a range of Audiophile headphones on it. If you're used to digital Sony Walkmans of days gone by you will recognize the simple,...
My favorite pair of headphones, and considering I own the Sennheiser HD598s, that is saying something. They look fantastic, very stylish indeed, they are extremely comfortable, infact the ear pads...
These are okay headphones if you can get them for a cheap price (sub £90 ) but probably aren't worth any more than that. Their build quality is solid, despite all the plastic used, and they can be...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread - Page 30
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yes. It uses DoP. Works fine with JRiver MC18. Foobar has some plug-ins which will let you do that as well.
Edited by purrin - 4/8/13 at 8:52am
Purrin beat me to it but I was gonna say - yes, it seems to use DoP when using JRiver. But (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) when using Foobar with the ASIO driver, I believe it's doing native playback. That's why installation and configuration is way more complicated with Foobar compared to JRiver.
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get Foobar working with the X-Sabre via ASIO or WASAPI. First sign that I'm getting old, when I can't figure out technology anymore.
Edited by Questhate - 4/8/13 at 11:15am
OK maybe I worded that wrong... per your first link, Ted Brady (who is around here somewhere in this thread - hi Ted!) described DoP as "a clever way for DAC manufacturers to not have to each write their own ASIO drivers to directly access DSD". X-Sabre does have ASIO drivers so I figure when using that with Foobar, we are not using DoP. Not that it matters much in the end.
Email Arthur and he can help - it's a little tricky at first but you'll get it. Just have to make sure you do each step which can get confusing. And once you are done, you'll probably have a huge list of devices to choose from - make sure you choose the right one.
Dood, just pay up for JRiver and stop fricking around with Foobar. Life's too short once you get older. Paying 1/24 of the price of your DAC for software to alleviate such headaches is well worth it.
JRiver isn't the end-all solution. Learning how to set up the DAC with your computer is. Foobar is a great product and is even better when you think how much it costs... NOTHING!
That's what I said to myself while purchasing JRiver until I realized it was still in Alpha phase for the Mac...
Yeah, I've done everything -- X-Sabre ASIO, X-Sabre WASAPI, set up a generic ASIO driver. It can't lock onto DSD with Foobar for some reason. I can convert to PCM just fine though.
Not a big deal anyway since JRiver works just fine. Just frustrating that I can't crack the code. I'm not even 30 yet and having a "sonny, please help me set up my VCR" moment.
Anyway, as far as impressions go, I haven't had much time at all to listen. Out of the box, I was disappointed in the treble glare and bass bloom which made things a bit hazy. I've had it on since Thursday and did a bit of listening last night. It's definitely smoothed out and tightened up since then. There's still some glare there on certain recordings that definitely wasn't there on the Gungnir though.
I'm now reading through Purrin and Anax's review and agree with a lot of it. It digs deeper than the Gungnir, but sounds rougher in patches overall. There's more detail, but it's grainier so at times it's jarring to the point I wished that it was smoothed over. My priorities are tonal balance and listenability (lack of jarring flaws) over technicalities, so I'm fairly lukewarm to the X-Sabre for now. It is a more relaxed and open presentation than the dynamic, upfront Gungnir, so I can see someone preferring it for that. I hate a term as nebulous as "PRaT", but that's something I felt the Gungnir was very good at that I'm missing with the X-Sabre. The one part of their review I'd disagree with is "continuousness" where they rated the X-Sabre and Gungnir the same, but I feel the Gungnir wins quite handily on that dimension. (EDIT: Looks like I have reading comprehension issues. I was looking at the wrong row, as they noted liquidity of Gungnir wins)
Need to do more listening and maybe tube rolling before finalizing any opinion, but those are the aspects that jumped out at me last night.
Edited by Questhate - 4/8/13 at 4:20pm
- Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 3 seconds ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 39 seconds ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 54 seconds ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes 3 minutes ago
- › Audinst HUD-MX2 Hi-Fi USB Audio DAC/AMP (Muses02 opamp upgrade) 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From... 4 minutes ago
- › Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Line out dock vs. headphone out 6 minutes ago
- › CanJam NYC 2017 (February 4-5, 2017) 7 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by FortisFlyer75
- › AXGIO Dash Wireless Earbuds Cordless Running Jogging Bluetooth... by pkshiu
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear