I couldn't find any official info on this, but I suppose the X-Sabre uses the DoP (DSD over PCM) protocol for DSD playback?
Recent Images In This Thread
- product1964 Ears V3 Triple Driver Custom IEMtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAnalog Design Labs Svetlana 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudience AURIC OHNO Sennheiser Cabletagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAuraliti PK90 USBtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productCable Pro Reverie Mini-to-Mini 1fttagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productFirestone Audio - Bobby - Pure-Class-A, Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productIcon Audio HP8 MKIItagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSensaphonics 3MAXtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SRA-12Stagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Effect Audio Thor cables for IEMs and full sized headphones (in both Silver and SPC form) Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audition Beyer T1 and/or HD800 in the Triangle area, NC Last post on 11/21/13 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dynamic, orthodynamic, and electrostatic - Your top picks for each Last post on 8/23/13 at 1:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 3/10/15
Intro/Setup The full-size closed under $200 category is a very popular one among pro’s and casual listeners alike. The most similar competitor to this I own is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro...
Fantastic sound quality! Very clean, detailed and balanced sound. Really strong power for high impedance headphones. Best buy until US 250,00.. It can drive easily my AKG K702 (famous for being...
Great sound, strong bass, great construct quality, very confortable, warm sound. This is a real overall headphone. Everything will sound good on it (not a real reference headphone). Fantastic for...
Great sound, great tone, very well balanced, very clean, great bass (not lacking), detailed sound. Everything sounds great on the SENNHEISER HD 598.
Fantastic Reference Headphones, fantastic sound clarity and definition. The soundstage is the best! Incredible detailed sound and instruments separation. Not for everyone. This is a very honest...
Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread - Page 30post #436 of 11204/8/13 at 8:39am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #437 of 11204/8/13 at 8:51amQuote:
Yes. It uses DoP. Works fine with JRiver MC18. Foobar has some plug-ins which will let you do that as well.
Edited by purrin - 4/8/13 at 8:52ampost #438 of 11204/8/13 at 9:05amThread Starter
Purrin beat me to it but I was gonna say - yes, it seems to use DoP when using JRiver. But (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) when using Foobar with the ASIO driver, I believe it's doing native playback. That's why installation and configuration is way more complicated with Foobar compared to JRiver.post #439 of 11204/8/13 at 11:00ampost #440 of 11204/8/13 at 11:13am
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get Foobar working with the X-Sabre via ASIO or WASAPI. First sign that I'm getting old, when I can't figure out technology anymore.
Edited by Questhate - 4/8/13 at 11:15ampost #441 of 11204/8/13 at 11:21ampost #442 of 11204/8/13 at 12:31pmThread StarterQuote:
OK maybe I worded that wrong... per your first link, Ted Brady (who is around here somewhere in this thread - hi Ted!) described DoP as "a clever way for DAC manufacturers to not have to each write their own ASIO drivers to directly access DSD". X-Sabre does have ASIO drivers so I figure when using that with Foobar, we are not using DoP. Not that it matters much in the end.Quote:
Email Arthur and he can help - it's a little tricky at first but you'll get it. Just have to make sure you do each step which can get confusing. And once you are done, you'll probably have a huge list of devices to choose from - make sure you choose the right one.post #443 of 11204/8/13 at 1:23pmQuote:
Dood, just pay up for JRiver and stop fricking around with Foobar. Life's too short once you get older. Paying 1/24 of the price of your DAC for software to alleviate such headaches is well worth it.post #444 of 11204/8/13 at 1:40pmpost #445 of 11204/8/13 at 1:55pm
JRiver isn't the end-all solution. Learning how to set up the DAC with your computer is. Foobar is a great product and is even better when you think how much it costs... NOTHING!
post #446 of 11204/8/13 at 1:57pmpost #447 of 11204/8/13 at 2:22pm
That's what I said to myself while purchasing JRiver until I realized it was still in Alpha phase for the Mac...post #448 of 11204/8/13 at 2:24pmpost #449 of 11204/8/13 at 2:25pmpost #450 of 11204/8/13 at 3:21pmQuote:Quote:Quote:
Yeah, I've done everything -- X-Sabre ASIO, X-Sabre WASAPI, set up a generic ASIO driver. It can't lock onto DSD with Foobar for some reason. I can convert to PCM just fine though.
Not a big deal anyway since JRiver works just fine. Just frustrating that I can't crack the code. I'm not even 30 yet and having a "sonny, please help me set up my VCR" moment.
Anyway, as far as impressions go, I haven't had much time at all to listen. Out of the box, I was disappointed in the treble glare and bass bloom which made things a bit hazy. I've had it on since Thursday and did a bit of listening last night. It's definitely smoothed out and tightened up since then. There's still some glare there on certain recordings that definitely wasn't there on the Gungnir though.
I'm now reading through Purrin and Anax's review and agree with a lot of it. It digs deeper than the Gungnir, but sounds rougher in patches overall. There's more detail, but it's grainier so at times it's jarring to the point I wished that it was smoothed over. My priorities are tonal balance and listenability (lack of jarring flaws) over technicalities, so I'm fairly lukewarm to the X-Sabre for now. It is a more relaxed and open presentation than the dynamic, upfront Gungnir, so I can see someone preferring it for that. I hate a term as nebulous as "PRaT", but that's something I felt the Gungnir was very good at that I'm missing with the X-Sabre. The one part of their review I'd disagree with is "continuousness" where they rated the X-Sabre and Gungnir the same, but I feel the Gungnir wins quite handily on that dimension. (EDIT: Looks like I have reading comprehension issues. I was looking at the wrong row, as they noted liquidity of Gungnir wins)
Need to do more listening and maybe tube rolling before finalizing any opinion, but those are the aspects that jumped out at me last night.
Edited by Questhate - 4/8/13 at 4:20pm
- Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator 47 seconds ago
- › 2015 vsonic iem lineup VSD2, VSD7, VSD9 50 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 1 minute ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 4 minutes ago
- › Do you know any good 3.5mm extenders? 5 minutes ago
- › What artist(s) do you have all their albums? 5 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 6 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 7 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by rigodeni
- › Matrix M-Stage by Johannus
- › Pioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Black by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by DJScope
- › HUM Pervasion - Android DAP by DJScope
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2