I couldn't find any official info on this, but I suppose the X-Sabre uses the DoP (DSD over PCM) protocol for DSD playback?
Recent Images In This Thread
- product1964 Ears V3 Triple Driver Custom IEMtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAnalog Design Labs Svetlana 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudience AURIC OHNO Sennheiser Cabletagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAuraliti PK90 USBtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productCable Pro Reverie Mini-to-Mini 1fttagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productFirestone Audio - Bobby - Pure-Class-A, Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productIcon Audio HP8 MKIItagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSensaphonics 3MAXtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SRA-12Stagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Effect Audio Thor cables for IEMs and full sized headphones (in both Silver and SPC form) Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audition Beyer T1 and/or HD800 in the Triangle area, NC Last post on 11/21/13 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dynamic, orthodynamic, and electrostatic - Your top picks for each Last post on 8/23/13 at 1:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/25/15
At the time this review was written, the Edifier P220 was listed for sale on Amazon. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a quick and dirty look at the YHC S600, yet another outstanding hyper-budget earphone worthy of consideration. What the S600 brings to the...
I was able to get these from a friend who used their employee discount, so ignore the price paid. I would consider myself a rookie when it comes to headphones, but not sound quality. My...
Best looking closed headphone on the market that acts just like a open headphone but brings the advantages of a closed headphone such as detail and imaging... It is combining both worlds and packs...
Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread - Page 30post #436 of 12074/8/13 at 8:39am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #437 of 12074/8/13 at 8:51amQuote:
Yes. It uses DoP. Works fine with JRiver MC18. Foobar has some plug-ins which will let you do that as well.
Edited by purrin - 4/8/13 at 8:52ampost #438 of 12074/8/13 at 9:05amThread Starter
Purrin beat me to it but I was gonna say - yes, it seems to use DoP when using JRiver. But (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) when using Foobar with the ASIO driver, I believe it's doing native playback. That's why installation and configuration is way more complicated with Foobar compared to JRiver.post #439 of 12074/8/13 at 11:00ampost #440 of 12074/8/13 at 11:13am
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get Foobar working with the X-Sabre via ASIO or WASAPI. First sign that I'm getting old, when I can't figure out technology anymore.
Edited by Questhate - 4/8/13 at 11:15ampost #441 of 12074/8/13 at 11:21ampost #442 of 12074/8/13 at 12:31pmThread StarterQuote:
OK maybe I worded that wrong... per your first link, Ted Brady (who is around here somewhere in this thread - hi Ted!) described DoP as "a clever way for DAC manufacturers to not have to each write their own ASIO drivers to directly access DSD". X-Sabre does have ASIO drivers so I figure when using that with Foobar, we are not using DoP. Not that it matters much in the end.Quote:
Email Arthur and he can help - it's a little tricky at first but you'll get it. Just have to make sure you do each step which can get confusing. And once you are done, you'll probably have a huge list of devices to choose from - make sure you choose the right one.post #443 of 12074/8/13 at 1:23pmQuote:
Dood, just pay up for JRiver and stop fricking around with Foobar. Life's too short once you get older. Paying 1/24 of the price of your DAC for software to alleviate such headaches is well worth it.post #444 of 12074/8/13 at 1:40pmpost #445 of 12074/8/13 at 1:55pm
JRiver isn't the end-all solution. Learning how to set up the DAC with your computer is. Foobar is a great product and is even better when you think how much it costs... NOTHING!
post #446 of 12074/8/13 at 1:57pmpost #447 of 12074/8/13 at 2:22pm
That's what I said to myself while purchasing JRiver until I realized it was still in Alpha phase for the Mac...post #448 of 12074/8/13 at 2:24pmpost #449 of 12074/8/13 at 2:25pmpost #450 of 12074/8/13 at 3:21pmQuote:Quote:Quote:
Yeah, I've done everything -- X-Sabre ASIO, X-Sabre WASAPI, set up a generic ASIO driver. It can't lock onto DSD with Foobar for some reason. I can convert to PCM just fine though.
Not a big deal anyway since JRiver works just fine. Just frustrating that I can't crack the code. I'm not even 30 yet and having a "sonny, please help me set up my VCR" moment.
Anyway, as far as impressions go, I haven't had much time at all to listen. Out of the box, I was disappointed in the treble glare and bass bloom which made things a bit hazy. I've had it on since Thursday and did a bit of listening last night. It's definitely smoothed out and tightened up since then. There's still some glare there on certain recordings that definitely wasn't there on the Gungnir though.
I'm now reading through Purrin and Anax's review and agree with a lot of it. It digs deeper than the Gungnir, but sounds rougher in patches overall. There's more detail, but it's grainier so at times it's jarring to the point I wished that it was smoothed over. My priorities are tonal balance and listenability (lack of jarring flaws) over technicalities, so I'm fairly lukewarm to the X-Sabre for now. It is a more relaxed and open presentation than the dynamic, upfront Gungnir, so I can see someone preferring it for that. I hate a term as nebulous as "PRaT", but that's something I felt the Gungnir was very good at that I'm missing with the X-Sabre. The one part of their review I'd disagree with is "continuousness" where they rated the X-Sabre and Gungnir the same, but I feel the Gungnir wins quite handily on that dimension. (EDIT: Looks like I have reading comprehension issues. I was looking at the wrong row, as they noted liquidity of Gungnir wins)
Need to do more listening and maybe tube rolling before finalizing any opinion, but those are the aspects that jumped out at me last night.
Edited by Questhate - 4/8/13 at 4:20pm
- Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 31 seconds ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-12 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Unique Melody Martian: UM's New 2DD + 2BA Universal-only IEM 4 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN Series: 1/1es/3/5 -- Ti-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear"... 4 minutes ago
- › Don't be shy, contact us directly with problems with your FiiO! 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread 8 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 9 minutes ago
- › Edifier P220 In-Ear Chrome Design Headphones With Microphone - Blue by Hisoundfi
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by Pastapipo
- › YHC S600 by B9Scrambler
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by dlo13
- › Fostex TH 900 by roxrite
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Shini44
- › Fischer Audio Omega Spark by crabdog
- › MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III by Lurk650
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by jjacq
- › Soundaware Esther by WCDchee
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...