- 8,611 Posts. Joined 12/2002
- Location: OKC
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- product1964 Ears V3 Triple Driver Custom IEMtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAnalog Design Labs Svetlana 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudience AURIC OHNO Sennheiser Cabletagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAuraliti PK90 USBtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productCable Pro Reverie Mini-to-Mini 1fttagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productFirestone Audio - Bobby - Pure-Class-A, Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productIcon Audio HP8 MKIItagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSensaphonics 3MAXtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SRA-12Stagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Effect Audio Thor cables for IEMs and full sized headphones (in both Silver and SPC form) Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audition Beyer T1 and/or HD800 in the Triangle area, NC Last post on 11/21/13 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dynamic, orthodynamic, and electrostatic - Your top picks for each Last post on 8/23/13 at 1:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Ultrasone signature pro vs fostex th600 vs audeze LCD2 rev2 vs senheiser hd800 vs beyerdynamicI... Last post on 9/5/13 at 1:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: Today
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/29/14
Review of the CEntrance HiFi M8 LX LX model = Optical input The CEntrance HiFi M8 has a lot of connection and feature combinations. This is the LX / XLR version. What is the...
Before I start my review, I wold like to Thank Penon Audio for providing me with a review loaner of DITA Audio The Answer headphones in exchange for my honest opinion. I tested and reviewed a...
Integrated amplifiers. We all know what they are, right? The classic definition involves having a power amplifier and a preamplifier integrated into the same chassis. Hence the name. It...
Will keep this review short but these are my impressions after a week of listening to a range of FLAC and a few HD files of every main genre of music: Sources used: FiiO X5 Sony...
Take the well received Akg K545, and add 50 dollars for a mic, amp, nfc, battery and Bluetooth capability. Is it worth it? TLDR, if you don’t have an amp and/or want bluetooth, put this in your top...
Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread - Page 20post #286 of 10373/14/13 at 6:38pmHe's yet to hear it so we shall see when he does.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #287 of 10373/14/13 at 6:43pmThread Starterpost #288 of 10373/14/13 at 6:46pmpost #289 of 10373/14/13 at 7:00pmThread Starterpost #290 of 10373/14/13 at 8:12pmQuote:
Though I've never heard the X-Sabre that's quite a praise for Concero :) When I listened to it at Nick's house for some reason I had to turn my Stax amp's volume all the way up to get good sound with Concero. So my PS Audio NuWave DAC seemed like a winner there but I'd like to hear this Concero one more time.. Oh and the X-Sabre too.post #291 of 10373/14/13 at 8:15pmQuote:And you're selling it why?Originally Posted by Yuceka
Though I've never heard the X-Sabre that's quite a praise for Concero When I listened to it at Nick's house for some reason I had to turn my Stax amp's volume all the way up to get good sound with Concero. So my PS Audio NuWave DAC seemed like a winner there but I'd like to hear this Concero one more time.. Oh and the X-Sabre too.post #292 of 10373/14/13 at 8:17pmQuote:The signal it puts out is low, only 1.2V, so that is why you have to crank volume a good bit, or have gain options on your amp.Originally Posted by Yuceka
Though I've never heard the X-Sabre that's quite a praise for Concero When I listened to it at Nick's house for some reason I had to turn my Stax amp's volume all the way up to get good sound with Concero. So my PS Audio NuWave DAC seemed like a winner there but I'd like to hear this Concero one more time.. Oh and the X-Sabre too.post #293 of 10373/14/13 at 8:19pmQuote:
I'm pretty sure that's the case for any 3 names who has experience with the amount of gear associated with these 3 people.post #294 of 10373/14/13 at 9:01pmpost #295 of 10373/14/13 at 9:06pm
FWIW, I talked to Mike for a bit earlier about his listening impressions. He was very fair in his judgement, and makes it easy to calibrate your own preferences if you're at all familiar with the PWD2. I don't want to say much else until he (and Purrin) has time to finish gathering his thoughts, but I won't be cancelling my pre-order.
EDIT: Just saw Marv's post. His previous one was a bit ominous (ala Meridian Explorer )
Edited by Questhate - 3/14/13 at 9:08pmpost #296 of 10373/14/13 at 9:09pmpost #297 of 10373/14/13 at 10:12pmpost #298 of 10373/14/13 at 10:24pmThread StarterQuote:
Was there an older FW on the PWD2 that sounded mediocre as well? Because I heard it a while back and it was just decent but nothing special (though better than the original which didn't do much for me at all). Maybe I heard a bad FW version and it would be worth trying again.post #299 of 10373/15/13 at 6:49am
Yes because it's being hyped up. So that being said - it's must be a giant killer.
It beat out a PWD2 in meet conditions? ... Have them side by side in your own personal space without any bias either way. Meet conditions is not a fair way to make judgments on audio gear.post #300 of 10373/15/13 at 7:07am
There are three of us, myself, maxvla, and morbidtoaster that all agreed something was up with the PWD2 that we heard at the Austin meet. I'm not going to comment on whether anything beat out anything else, but I will say the PWD2 in those conditions had some faults that were revealed when comparing it to other sources (not just the xsabre, which wasn't the best source at the meet either).
Now that said, there have been plenty of explanations of why that might be so far. Among those issues are firmware problems, we still haven't confirmed the version, or even having the volume up too high. So lets put this to rest. I came away from the meet saying I'd never buy a PWD2 and that it was a waste of money, but now that I've read the uproar over the firmware changes, there is something else obviously going on.
It's fine if we can compare the PWD to the xsabre, but let's be clear about something: no one at the meet a/b tested the xsabre with a PWD. We just all agreed that the PWD sounded off.
Edited by TWIFOSP - 3/15/13 at 7:16am
- Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 41 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 50 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › ATH-M50x with FiiO E6's or ATH-M40x with FiiO E11's 2 minutes ago
- › Hidizs AP100 (DAP) Support Team - Now on Head-fi! (35%OFF discount... 2 minutes ago
- › Cowon P1 Compared to J3,X9 and X7 2 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 3 minutes ago
- › Two new HifiMan players announced: HM700 and HM802 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page: Downloads, info & instructions-... 3 minutes ago
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by CasperBxl
- › DITA Audio The Answer by twister6
- › Questyle CMA800i - integrated DAC, headphone amp, and preamp by project86
- › InEar StageDiver SD-3 by Krisman
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by cs098
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by bodopopa
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by suman134
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by mlthelasher
- › Takstar TS-671 by paal0
- › Geben iDA-1 Portable Amp/DAC for iDevices by JoeDoe
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)