- 8,613 Posts. Joined 12/2002
- Location: OKC
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- product1964 Ears V3 Triple Driver Custom IEMtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAnalog Design Labs Svetlana 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudience AURIC OHNO Sennheiser Cabletagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAuraliti PK90 USBtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productCable Pro Reverie Mini-to-Mini 1fttagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productFirestone Audio - Bobby - Pure-Class-A, Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productIcon Audio HP8 MKIItagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSensaphonics 3MAXtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SRA-12Stagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Effect Audio Thor cables for IEMs and full sized headphones (in both Silver and SPC form) Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audition Beyer T1 and/or HD800 in the Triangle area, NC Last post on 11/21/13 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dynamic, orthodynamic, and electrostatic - Your top picks for each Last post on 8/23/13 at 1:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 3/10/15
I am believer in positive effects of a good cable and I like to try different aftermarket cables to see what sonic changes can be. I have contacted with Null Audio while I was looking for a new...
Introduction: One of my favorite parts of this hobby that I've grown to love over the past few years is trying new things and just experiencing how different components (or combination of...
I have to say I was very impressed with this little beauty. For my 63 yr. young ears after being subjected to some of the most ferocious live hard rock and heavy metal it really does justice to...
Setup I got my pair on sale for $150 USD. I have had a few lower end AKG headphones and have never been disappointed with the value and sound signature they offered. It's been a long time...
This is my first review. Honestly I am quite new to head-fi although I have tried and bought and sold a lot of headphones and earphones lately. I bought a pair of MA750 a week ago for 108USD in...
Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread - Page 20post #286 of 11213/14/13 at 6:38pmHe's yet to hear it so we shall see when he does.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #287 of 11213/14/13 at 6:43pmThread Starterpost #288 of 11213/14/13 at 6:46pmpost #289 of 11213/14/13 at 7:00pmThread Starterpost #290 of 11213/14/13 at 8:12pmQuote:
Though I've never heard the X-Sabre that's quite a praise for Concero :) When I listened to it at Nick's house for some reason I had to turn my Stax amp's volume all the way up to get good sound with Concero. So my PS Audio NuWave DAC seemed like a winner there but I'd like to hear this Concero one more time.. Oh and the X-Sabre too.post #291 of 11213/14/13 at 8:15pmQuote:And you're selling it why?Originally Posted by Yuceka
Though I've never heard the X-Sabre that's quite a praise for Concero When I listened to it at Nick's house for some reason I had to turn my Stax amp's volume all the way up to get good sound with Concero. So my PS Audio NuWave DAC seemed like a winner there but I'd like to hear this Concero one more time.. Oh and the X-Sabre too.post #292 of 11213/14/13 at 8:17pmQuote:The signal it puts out is low, only 1.2V, so that is why you have to crank volume a good bit, or have gain options on your amp.Originally Posted by Yuceka
Though I've never heard the X-Sabre that's quite a praise for Concero When I listened to it at Nick's house for some reason I had to turn my Stax amp's volume all the way up to get good sound with Concero. So my PS Audio NuWave DAC seemed like a winner there but I'd like to hear this Concero one more time.. Oh and the X-Sabre too.post #293 of 11213/14/13 at 8:19pmQuote:
I'm pretty sure that's the case for any 3 names who has experience with the amount of gear associated with these 3 people.post #294 of 11213/14/13 at 9:01pmpost #295 of 11213/14/13 at 9:06pm
FWIW, I talked to Mike for a bit earlier about his listening impressions. He was very fair in his judgement, and makes it easy to calibrate your own preferences if you're at all familiar with the PWD2. I don't want to say much else until he (and Purrin) has time to finish gathering his thoughts, but I won't be cancelling my pre-order.
EDIT: Just saw Marv's post. His previous one was a bit ominous (ala Meridian Explorer )
Edited by Questhate - 3/14/13 at 9:08pmpost #296 of 11213/14/13 at 9:09pm
Also, depends on which version of the PWD2. The new versions with the 2.20 firmware (which cannot be rolled back) also have different analog boards from my understanding.post #297 of 11213/14/13 at 10:12pmpost #298 of 11213/14/13 at 10:24pmThread StarterQuote:
Was there an older FW on the PWD2 that sounded mediocre as well? Because I heard it a while back and it was just decent but nothing special (though better than the original which didn't do much for me at all). Maybe I heard a bad FW version and it would be worth trying again.post #299 of 11213/15/13 at 6:49am
Yes because it's being hyped up. So that being said - it's must be a giant killer.
It beat out a PWD2 in meet conditions? ... Have them side by side in your own personal space without any bias either way. Meet conditions is not a fair way to make judgments on audio gear.post #300 of 11213/15/13 at 7:07am
There are three of us, myself, maxvla, and morbidtoaster that all agreed something was up with the PWD2 that we heard at the Austin meet. I'm not going to comment on whether anything beat out anything else, but I will say the PWD2 in those conditions had some faults that were revealed when comparing it to other sources (not just the xsabre, which wasn't the best source at the meet either).
Now that said, there have been plenty of explanations of why that might be so far. Among those issues are firmware problems, we still haven't confirmed the version, or even having the volume up too high. So lets put this to rest. I came away from the meet saying I'd never buy a PWD2 and that it was a waste of money, but now that I've read the uproar over the firmware changes, there is something else obviously going on.
It's fine if we can compare the PWD to the xsabre, but let's be clear about something: no one at the meet a/b tested the xsabre with a PWD. We just all agreed that the PWD sounded off.
Edited by TWIFOSP - 3/15/13 at 7:16am
- Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Magni 2 Uber 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-A20 SERIES 3 minutes ago
- › Any Reason to Keep 160GB Ipod Classic? 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD Master 9 5 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 5 minutes ago
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by xevman
- › Trinity - Techne Dynamic IEM by mark2410
- › Ubsound Fighter in-ear monitor with universal inline microphone and... by acain
- › T-Peos Altone250 by Cotnijoe
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2