- 8,662 Posts. Joined 12/2002
- Location: OKC
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- product1964 Ears V3 Triple Driver Custom IEMtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAnalog Design Labs Svetlana 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAudience AURIC OHNO Sennheiser Cabletagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productAuraliti PK90 USBtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productCable Pro Reverie Mini-to-Mini 1fttagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productFirestone Audio - Bobby - Pure-Class-A, Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productIcon Audio HP8 MKIItagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productSensaphonics 3MAXtagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productStax SRA-12Stagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by dbsaffor, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Effect Audio Thor cables for IEMs and full sized headphones (in both Silver and SPC form) Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audition Beyer T1 and/or HD800 in the Triangle area, NC Last post on 11/21/13 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dynamic, orthodynamic, and electrostatic - Your top picks for each Last post on 8/23/13 at 1:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/25/15
I spent a week with the OPPO PM-3 through the head-fi loaner program, and got the chance to try them out on a variety of pieces. 99% of my headphone listening is classical music of one type or...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION Following the successful launch of the initial Trinity range on Kickstarter, Bob (Trinity's CEO and...
REVIEW: ifi Pro iCan Equipment used: Headphones: Sennheiser HD800S, Hifiman Edition X, Hifiman HE-560, AKG K7XX, Audeze LCD-2f, Sennheiser Momentum, HD-650, Oppo PM-2, PM-3, Aurisonics ASG...
Thank-you to Pandora of Brainwavz for supplying the Omega for review. Brainwavz has been around for a while now and this isn't my first encounter with one of their products. In 2011 I...
I picked this up second hand on ebay, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm just getting into listening with headphones and one of my amps doesn't have a headphone socket, so this seemed like as...
Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread - Page 20post #286 of 11943/14/13 at 6:38pmHe's yet to hear it so we shall see when he does.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #287 of 11943/14/13 at 6:43pmThread Starterpost #288 of 11943/14/13 at 6:46pmpost #289 of 11943/14/13 at 7:00pmThread Starterpost #290 of 11943/14/13 at 8:12pmQuote:
Though I've never heard the X-Sabre that's quite a praise for Concero :) When I listened to it at Nick's house for some reason I had to turn my Stax amp's volume all the way up to get good sound with Concero. So my PS Audio NuWave DAC seemed like a winner there but I'd like to hear this Concero one more time.. Oh and the X-Sabre too.post #291 of 11943/14/13 at 8:15pmQuote:And you're selling it why?Originally Posted by Yuceka
Though I've never heard the X-Sabre that's quite a praise for Concero When I listened to it at Nick's house for some reason I had to turn my Stax amp's volume all the way up to get good sound with Concero. So my PS Audio NuWave DAC seemed like a winner there but I'd like to hear this Concero one more time.. Oh and the X-Sabre too.post #292 of 11943/14/13 at 8:17pmQuote:The signal it puts out is low, only 1.2V, so that is why you have to crank volume a good bit, or have gain options on your amp.Originally Posted by Yuceka
Though I've never heard the X-Sabre that's quite a praise for Concero When I listened to it at Nick's house for some reason I had to turn my Stax amp's volume all the way up to get good sound with Concero. So my PS Audio NuWave DAC seemed like a winner there but I'd like to hear this Concero one more time.. Oh and the X-Sabre too.post #293 of 11943/14/13 at 8:19pmQuote:
I'm pretty sure that's the case for any 3 names who has experience with the amount of gear associated with these 3 people.post #294 of 11943/14/13 at 9:01pmpost #295 of 11943/14/13 at 9:06pm
FWIW, I talked to Mike for a bit earlier about his listening impressions. He was very fair in his judgement, and makes it easy to calibrate your own preferences if you're at all familiar with the PWD2. I don't want to say much else until he (and Purrin) has time to finish gathering his thoughts, but I won't be cancelling my pre-order.
EDIT: Just saw Marv's post. His previous one was a bit ominous (ala Meridian Explorer )
Edited by Questhate - 3/14/13 at 9:08pmpost #296 of 11943/14/13 at 9:09pm
Also, depends on which version of the PWD2. The new versions with the 2.20 firmware (which cannot be rolled back) also have different analog boards from my understanding.post #297 of 11943/14/13 at 10:12pmpost #298 of 11943/14/13 at 10:24pmThread StarterQuote:
Was there an older FW on the PWD2 that sounded mediocre as well? Because I heard it a while back and it was just decent but nothing special (though better than the original which didn't do much for me at all). Maybe I heard a bad FW version and it would be worth trying again.post #299 of 11943/15/13 at 6:49am
Yes because it's being hyped up. So that being said - it's must be a giant killer.
It beat out a PWD2 in meet conditions? ... Have them side by side in your own personal space without any bias either way. Meet conditions is not a fair way to make judgments on audio gear.post #300 of 11943/15/13 at 7:07am
There are three of us, myself, maxvla, and morbidtoaster that all agreed something was up with the PWD2 that we heard at the Austin meet. I'm not going to comment on whether anything beat out anything else, but I will say the PWD2 in those conditions had some faults that were revealed when comparing it to other sources (not just the xsabre, which wasn't the best source at the meet either).
Now that said, there have been plenty of explanations of why that might be so far. Among those issues are firmware problems, we still haven't confirmed the version, or even having the volume up too high. So lets put this to rest. I came away from the meet saying I'd never buy a PWD2 and that it was a waste of money, but now that I've read the uproar over the firmware changes, there is something else obviously going on.
It's fine if we can compare the PWD to the xsabre, but let's be clear about something: no one at the meet a/b tested the xsabre with a PWD. We just all agreed that the PWD sounded off.
Edited by TWIFOSP - 3/15/13 at 7:16am
- Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (Basshead IEM's) 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition (Limited) 1 minute ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added... 4 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 4 minutes ago
- › Aftermarket IEM Cable List (Now more Visually Stimulating) 4 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 6 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 6 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by ezekiel77
- › OPPO PM-3 by gardibolt
- › Trinity Audio Engineering Atlas water resistant sports in-ear monitor by Brooko
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Koolpep
- › Brainwavz Omega In Ear Earbuds Noise Isolating Earphones Remote... by Deviltooth
- › Bravo Audio Ocean by Varley58
- › Darkvoice 336SE by Shasari
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...