Originally Posted by bcwang
- Does it support iPad through CCK?
- What is headphone out output impedance?
- What is the max/average power draw from the usb bus?
By the way, for those who have the units in hand..
- Does it hiss at all with sensitive IEMs?
- How much volume change per step? I wonder if it's fine enough
- Does it support the iPad through CCK?
- Does it require drivers to work at all in windows or only if you want to support 192khz?
- For easy to drive headphones, is the amp section quality enough that there is no improvement going external headphone amp and just using it as a DAC?
- What headphones does it not have enough power to drive well and thus require an external headphone amp.
- I imagine it'd improve with better USB power, maybe out of the iFi iUSB. If you have something like that to try, please let us know if it sounds even better.
- I wonder how it compares to the iFi iDAC, I was contemplating the iFi iUSB+ iDAC combo but then the explorer showed up. Now I have to wait for some comparisons.
Thanks! Looking forward to more impressions.
Looks like I can answer some of these myself.
-headphone out output impedance is 5.25ohm for the revised version as measured by a couple of sources.
-yes it hisses with sensitive IEMs, I can easily hear hiss even at 0 volume with the SE530
-the volume steps with the latest v1349 firmware work well even with the sensitive SE530, but the hiss makes it really not a good headphone to use it with
-yes it works with the iPad through CCK, and also on IOS7 iphones/ipads with the CCK. You need a powered hub in between to make it work though.
-seems a windows driver is necessary or it won't work at all, luckily all other OS it just works.
I still don't don't know the max/avg power draw so I can figure out how power efficient it is when used with a laptop.