Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC - Page 7

post #91 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Ok so I am gonna jump on this band wagon. Just ordered.

 

Me too. Had to give it a spin. Mine will be here on Friday. Perfect for spending some quality time with it over the weekend. smily_headphones1.gif

post #92 of 1007

Just hooked mine up.  5 minutes in, and I considered it "thin" compared to my well broken in DragonFly.  Its getting better as I listen though.  Those big caps will take awhile I imagine.  I did not find much time related changes with the DACPort or the DragonFly.

 

I will let it run in for a couple of days and try some listening testing Friday.

 

In my opinion the DragonFly mashes the DACPort hands down coming from my laptop.  I am pretty sure its the ASync vs. AdaptiveSync of the DACPort products.  I do really like the volume control on the DACPort though.

post #93 of 1007
Sent an email to Meridian asking for the output impedance. I see no other reason not to reply than the value being something they want to hide. Anything under 2 and I'll buy one the next day. Hoping for a reply soon. Hopefully it's just an oversight, the DragonFly specs don't include it either but the value is less than 1. Crosstalk and noise floor specs would be nice too, but output impedance is the critical one. Oh and as for that review mentioning 16, that's just the reviewer reading the official specs wrong. The power output is stated calculated at 16 ohms, that's not the spec many posters here are wondering about.

Other than that, I have to say I'm very impressed by the component choices Meridian has made from a bill of materials point of view. They are clearly taking a risk on this product as the XMOS chip is pretty expensive from what I've read. I'd be willing to bet margins are lower on this compared to the similarly priced DragonFly which was already a fairly low margin product in hifi market terms.
post #94 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrln View Post
 Hopefully it's just an oversight, the DragonFly specs don't include it either but the value is less than 1.

 

Best of luck.  I couldn't even get that info from Steve Silberman (VP of Dev for AQ and the guy in charge of DF development), he appeared to genuinely not know.  It's a mystery to me why this is not considered an important spec considering how so many users will likely be using upmarket IEMs with this.

post #95 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeau View Post

 

You're just using each device as a digital out, so the only differences would be down to whether the quality of the output is bit perfect, amount of jitter, emf, etc.  Probably in the domain of non-audible for most people esp. as this uses a fairly robust PS and async USB implementation.

 

The bigger question is how are you going to supply power?  It seems to draw a significant amount.  The DF doesn't work with Android devices (that's why AQ is coming out with an Android specific version called the bumblebee) and the Meridian appears to draw significantly more.  Unless you have an outboard supply of some sort it's probably a no-go.  But I'd love to stand corrected on this, have a Nexus 4 myself.

 

The DF does work with Android devices using USB Audio Recorder PRO.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1680#post_9151794

 

As long as the USB host is not enabled on the Nexus 4, it can't work with a USB peripheral like a standard USB DAC.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1170#post_8985601

post #96 of 1007

Ok ordered one, this is what I have been waiting for so long. Meridian always was leading in digital music playback since THE beginning of times. The co-founder of M is a psychoacoutical specialist and I always loved their sound, so this explorer should be the bomb!

Also having a portable ultra high end solution. Will mate my X230 pretty well. grins...

post #97 of 1007

Ordered mine! Will be here tomorrow, My speaker rig is dominated by Meridian 500 series gear and I've had them a long time now - big fan of what this company does.

 

I'm going to use it to feed my Icon Audio HP8 from my laptop. Very interested to see how this stacks up against my Audio GD Ref 5.2 and NFB15.1. The latter is a much fairer comparison but my hopes are high - Meridian is a mainstream player of the first order and not the sort of company to mess up - I'm just surprised the price is so competitive.

 

Very interested to hear if anyone tries this with a power conditioner like the iFi Micro - whether it adds anything.

post #98 of 1007
When did you order it and from whom?
post #99 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrln View Post

Sent an email to Meridian asking for the output impedance. I see no other reason not to reply than the value being something they want to hide. Anything under 2 and I'll buy one the next day. Hoping for a reply soon. Hopefully it's just an oversight, the DragonFly specs don't include it either but the value is less than 1. Crosstalk and noise floor specs would be nice too, but output impedance is the critical one. Oh and as for that review mentioning 16, that's just the reviewer reading the official specs wrong. The power output is stated calculated at 16 ohms, that's not the spec many posters here are wondering about.

Other than that, I have to say I'm very impressed by the component choices Meridian has made from a bill of materials point of view. They are clearly taking a risk on this product as the XMOS chip is pretty expensive from what I've read. I'd be willing to bet margins are lower on this compared to the similarly priced DragonFly which was already a fairly low margin product in hifi market terms.

Precisely why I was asking for the output impedance. Everyone was "correcting" me, saying that it's stated as 16, but it's clearly not - as you've explained here. Thanks.

post #100 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwang View Post


Has anyone actually tried the iPad CCK with a powered hub to see if it works?  The fact that it's not driverless with windows makes me wonder if it'll work with the iPad. 

If it's driverless on OSX it will work on iPad. Any USB audio product that can be supplied enough power (and doesn't need drivers in OSX) will work with iPad.

post #101 of 1007

I'm pretty eager to see how the digital outputs will mate with my DSP speakers. The analogue section at the line output seems to be entry ticket to Meridian audiodome for my tube amp and more, as a bonus it has a headphone amp too! ^^

post #102 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

If it's driverless on OSX it will work on iPad. Any USB audio product that can be supplied enough power (and doesn't need drivers in OSX) will work with iPad.

The power that the iPad supplies is not enough to power the Meridian Explorer.  It will not work on iPad unless you were to use a powered USB hub and even then, it is not as simple as you say.  OSX is a completely different operating system than iOS.  Most all dacs will not work on an iPad...you gotta get your facts straight, bro.  

post #103 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonUnit View Post

 

It probably will. It uses XMOS and works on OS X without drivers, which usually means it will work on Android. May likely require a powered hub though.

That sounds good... except for the power part. Has anyone actually tested them with android yet?

post #104 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsudaMan View Post

The power that the iPad supplies is not enough to power the Meridian Explorer.  It will not work on iPad unless you were to use a powered USB hub and even then, it is not as simple as you say.  OSX is a completely different operating system than iOS.  Most all dacs will not work on an iPad...you gotta get your facts straight, bro.  

I've not encountered a single DAC that will NOT work with iPad if fed enough power. If that means a powered outboard hub, then so be it. But every DAC (and I've tried now about a dozen) have worked. Driver-necessary DACs may be different. I've plugged into DAC after DAC and had NO trouble at all. As long as they get power. Battery-powered DACs are a bit different because some power their internal DAC chips via USB, some via internal batteries. Only then does there seem to be some difficulty, but that has in 100% of the cases I've encountered, been fixed with outboard power.

post #105 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereas View Post

Precisely why I was asking for the output impedance. Everyone was "correcting" me, saying that it's stated as 16, but it's clearly not - as you've explained here. Thanks.

I'm waiting along with you. If I find one out in the open, I'll test it for you. I'm eager to know.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC