Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC - Page 45

post #661 of 1018

I put mine up for sale after contacting them (over a week ago) but before hearing back, when I figured they were just unresponsive to the situation.  In fact, I wouldn't have sent it in on my own as I thought the issues were larger than just output impedance - but I was contacted out of the blue that my replacement had been sent.

 

The person I sold to can attest that I PM'ed him with this bit of news before I posted about it and refunded his money since I am now keeping the unit until the replacement arrives to  be able to send it back.

post #662 of 1018

This appears to be an excellent turn of events.  I hope people will continue to post what's going on with there situation.  If enough positive comments get made I will update my article with a note about Meridian's response. 

post #663 of 1018

Alright, now I have a response from a US regional rep.  It's the standing 2-3 week time to handle the issue.  Cool smily_headphones1.gif

 

I've been exclusively using the MicroStreamer for the past week or two, will be interesting to run them against each other.

post #664 of 1018

My experience has been similar to many.  I bought the Meridian from TTVJ (who's service is excellent).  I emailed them about two weeks ago about the OI issue.  Todd emailed me their 'press release' on the issue & directed me to email Meridian.  I did so & waited a week for a response from Meridian.  Receiving none, I emailed Todd again to let him know that Meridian hadn't responded.  Almost immediately, he contacted Meridian on my behalf & within an hour, I received an email from a US Meridian rep (Ron Lennox).

 

Ron & I exchanged a couple of emails & he informed me that they will be sending a replacement.  Another Meridian rep emailed me a couple of days after to confirm, as well.  Since that follow up email by Todd to Meridian, their communication has been excellent.  I'm in the US and got the same info bobeau posted above (2-3 weeks to get a replacement).


Edited by FlySweep - 3/22/13 at 12:28pm
post #665 of 1018
Sounds like they are moving things along to take care of customers. Thumbs up for Meridian.
Reply
post #666 of 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

My experience has been similar to many.  I bought the Meridian from TTVJ (who's service is excellent).  I emailed them about two weeks ago about the OI issue.  Todd emailed me their 'press release' on the issue & directed me to email Meridian.  I did so & waited a week for a response from Meridian.  Receiving none, I emailed Todd again to let him know that Meridian hadn't responded.  Almost immediately, he contacted Meridian on my behalf & within an hour, I received an email from a US Meridian rep (Ron Lennox).

Ron & I exchanged a couple of emails & he informed me that they will be sending a replacement.  Another Meridian rep emailed me a couple of days after to confirm, as well.  Since that follow up email by Todd to Meridian, their communication has been excellent.  I'm in the US and got the same info bobeau posted above (2-3 weeks to get a replacement).
Todd is 1st Class.
post #667 of 1018

^^Todd is most definitely first class...

 

I got a response from Ron Lennox as well yesterday.  Likewise, he stated that they'll be shipping new units next week, and he made it clear it might take 2-3 weeks to get my replacement.  This will be BY FAR the easiest replacement scenario I've ever had if it actually goes down as described.  Meridian might have just earned a customer for their higher-end gear when I go on my spree later this year, jumping back into the audio hobby with both feet after a few years hiatus.

post #668 of 1018

I've been listening with the Explorer for much of today: Explorer (DAC) --> Objective 2 --> HE-400.  The sound and synergy in this little rig is terrific.  I'm excited to see what the (revised) Meridian Explorer's headphone out will bring as far as performance.  I think someone mentioned the volume increase should be smoother in the revision (not confirmed by Meridian).  I typically prefer to have my DACs as uncolored as possible.. but the ME's DAC is colored in quite an 'artful' manner.. and the sound isn't saturated so much as to fatigue or annoy during long term listening.  Evaluating the Explorer as a (non-neutral) DAC (and USB-to-optical converter), this little device is a winner in my book.

post #669 of 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

I think someone mentioned the volume increase should be smoother in the revision (not confirmed by Meridian).

That was me and the info was directly from Ken Forsythe of Meridian in an email he sent to me. He said the second running change was to lessen the courseness of the volume control.

I've got the same ME/O2/HE400 setup. Quite powerful isn't it? Although the Magni looks prettier, so that's why I want to swap them.
post #670 of 1018

If anyone's is suffering a noise problem with a USB-powered DAC, here's a micro-review I posted to a DACport thread, on a $60 solution for clean 5V power (for loads up to 2 Amps), that's still "transportable" without reliance on AC power - a method that receives power exclusively from an external Lithium-ion pack, receiving only data from the laptop: 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/615548/do-the-dacport-and-the-dacport-lx-really-sound-different/30#post_9292387

 

 

 

Mike

post #671 of 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

If anyone's is suffering a noise problem with a USB-powered DAC, here's a micro-review I posted to a DACport thread, on a $60 solution for clean 5V power (for loads up to 2 Amps), that's still "transportable" without reliance on AC power - a method that receives power exclusively from an external Lithium-ion pack, receiving only data from the laptop: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/615548/do-the-dacport-and-the-dacport-lx-really-sound-different/30#post_9292387





Mike
Mike,
Perfectionist as always, excellent.
post #672 of 1018

I hope this doesnt turn out like the ZO2 saga .....  eek.gif

post #673 of 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

I hope this doesnt turn out like the ZO2 saga .....  eek.gif

 

Do tell - how did that story go (or would you rather not summarize it here)?

 

popcorn.gif

post #674 of 1018

You've been here long enough to know exactly how it went, and it's all summarised in one of the longest threads on Head-Fi.    Enjoy.   :D 

post #675 of 1018

I'm still shopping around for my first DAC to go w/ my Asgard....

 

looking at:

 

  • Bifrost or Modi
  • Hrt Streamer
  • Dragonfly
  • maybe the Explorer

 

Looking forward to going to a Meet in May to check out some gear....

 

seems most of you you are using as intended as a portable w/ laptops and such.

 

Anyone using it as their primary home set up?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC