Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC - Page 26

post #376 of 986
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

Sensational effort teofilrocks - can you please keep us updated re shipping confirmation ? There seems to be some confusion as to just how much stock Todd has, and whether he is still waiting on a second batch.

 

Thanks.

 

I'm pretty sure the second batch arrived on Monday since my order (placed almost two weeks ago on 3/14) shipped on Monday. I asked for a status on my order last Friday & TTVJ said the ME's come in fairly small batches (10/batch) & they're flying off the shelves as fast as they arrive.

post #377 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalala6 View Post

Any other sites to purchase the Explorer, besides TTVJ? I could not purchase from TTVJ for some reason...

 

Nothing personal lalala6, but Groundhog Day was earlier this month, so I don't know what's going on here. This is at least the third post moaning that TTVJ is out of stock, along with breathless commentary about his inventory, yet I've posted an alternative supplier at least twice. I'd post it again, but I'm in no mood for some wiseacre to pop up and accuse me of shilling for the supplier, which has more or less already happened, even though I did little more than report where I bought mine. I'm not a big fan of shouting "do a search" or "let me google that for you," and I admit that I happened upon my supplier on another site frequented by "Computer Audiophile" types that I won't mention here for fear of drawing ire from our host (although it is a prominent sponsor there, with a flashing banner ad that says something like, "Meridian Explorer, in stock and shipping"), but this is really getting tedious. 

post #378 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft67 View Post

 

Nothing personal lalala6, but Groundhog Day was earlier this month, so I don't know what's going on here. This is at least the third post moaning that TTVJ is out of stock, along with breathless commentary about his inventory, yet I've posted an alternative supplier at least twice. I'd post it again, but I'm in no mood for some wiseacre to pop up and accuse me of shilling for the supplier, which has more or less already happened, even though I did little more than report where I bought mine. I'm not a big fan of shouting "do a search" or "let me google that for you," and I admit that I happened upon my supplier on another site frequented by "Computer Audiophile" types that I won't mention here for fear of drawing ire from our host (although it is a prominent sponsor there, with a flashing banner ad that says something like, "Meridian Explorer, in stock and shipping"), but this is really getting tedious. 

Sorry, but I think you got it wrong, I wasn't complaining about it being out of stock, I couldn't purchase it for a totally different reason. And I totally didn't know about it being out of stock. Also sorry as I should have checked the previous pages for alternative sites before posting the question. Thanks for letting us know about the alternative supplier though, I hope I'll be able to get an Explorer soon enough. :)

post #379 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

Sensational effort teofilrocks - can you please keep us updated re shipping confirmation ? There seems to be some confusion as to just how much stock Todd has, and whether he is still waiting on a second batch.

Thanks.

Sure thing.
post #380 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalala6 View Post

Any other sites to purchase the Explorer, besides TTVJ? I could not purchase from TTVJ for some reason...

 

Hi lalala6,

 

You kind of stepped into the middle of a contention that has nothing to do with you - so no worries.

 

Here you go:  http://www.theaudiosalon.com/brands/meridian/meridian-explorer/

 

Thanks for finding this Aerocraft67.  Sincerely.  smile.gif  

 

Mike

post #381 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painterspal View Post

 

I agree with you up to a point. 

 

Hey Painterspal,

 

At the risk of sounding conflicted, I have to say I am still very intrigued by your findings. It's just that I was troubled when I saw a post asking if the Meridian Explorer wouldn't sound good without the external power supply.  I just want to make sure everyone sets their goals first - portable operation vs. desktop operation.  

 

I am, nevertheless, a clean-power freak and don't doubt for a minute that you are hearing obvious improvements when willing to be tethered to an AC outlet.  And I can even embrace the possibility that all USB power is dirty to some degree - as you have argued.  So, I'm very appreciative of your impressions, while remaining steadfast in reminding people that they might not have the same experience as you have, when willing to use the Meridian Explorer as a desktop DAC on external AC power.

 

Indeed, Michael Lavorgna (www.audiostream.com) wrote that after hearing great improvements using the iUSBPower with his Audioquest Dragonfly, he said he was surprised to find that he heard no improvements when using it with a different USB-powered DAC on the same PC, same USB port.   So...  there are a lot of variables here, including the "power-cleaning" capabilities of the portable DAC itself, at which I believe the CEntrance DACport LX, excels, for example.

 

Ultimately, as with all audio gear, no one can know with certainty what they're missing, if anything, without buying or borrowing a component, to test in their own equipment chain.  I don't hear any noise problems (or lack of micro details) with my USB-powered DACport LX when comparing it to my AC-powered DACmini CX (with my laptop, my headphones, my ears).  I remain, however, very curious about the possibility that a $199 external power supply could make a difference with my DACport LX, but I'm not willing to spend the money to find out - I'm content for now.

 

That said, for someone who doesn't own an AC-powered desktop DAC, but wants a portable DAC to do double-duty, the iUSBPower seems like a worthwhile experiment.

 

Thanks again for your very credible comments!

 

Mike 


Edited by zilch0md - 2/27/13 at 6:54am
post #382 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by teofilrocks View Post

Well, I needed a DAC so just bought the Explorer from TTVJ. Let's see how this goes...

 

Sensational effort teofilrocks - can you please keep us updated re shipping confirmation ? There seems to be some confusion as to just how much stock Todd has, and whether he is still waiting on a second batch.

 

Thanks.

 

FWIW, I ordered the Explorer on Sunday, Feb 17, I think.  I sent Todd an inquiry a couple days later & he responded saying he was getting limited stock at end of week.  Mine did ship out on 2/25, and it looks like it'll be delivered tomorrow, 2/28...  He implied that that batch he rec'd was not sufficient to meet current demand/orders placed

post #383 of 986

 

The outer box is pretty understated I must say!


Edited by PhilW - 2/27/13 at 8:17am
post #384 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

 

Hey Painterspal,

 

At the risk of sounding conflicted, I have to say I am still very intrigued by your findings. It's just that I was troubled when I saw a post asking if the Meridian Explorer wouldn't sound good without the external power supply.  I just want to make sure everyone sets their goals first - portable operation vs. desktop operation.  

 

I am, nevertheless, a clean-power freak and don't doubt for a minute that you are hearing obvious improvements when willing to be tethered to an AC outlet.  And I can even embrace the possibility that all USB power is dirty to some degree - as you have argued.  So, I'm very appreciative of your impressions, while remaining steadfast in reminding people that they might not have the same experience as you have, when willing to use the Meridian Explorer as a desktop DAC on external AC power.

 

Indeed, Michael Lavorgna (www.audiostream.com) wrote that after hearing great improvements using the iUSBPower with his Audioquest Dragonfly, he said he was surprised to find that he heard no improvements when using it with a different USB-powered DAC on the same PC, same USB port.   So...  there are a lot of variables here, including the "power-cleaning" capabilities of the portable DAC itself, at which I believe the CEntrance DACport LX, excels, for example.

 

Ultimately, as with all audio gear, no one can know with certainty what they're missing, if anything, without buying or borrowing a component, to test in their own equipment chain.  I don't hear any noise problems (or lack of micro details) with my USB-powered DACport LX when comparing it to my AC-powered DACmini CX (with my laptop, my headphones, my ears).  I remain, however, very curious about the possibility that a $199 external power supply could make a difference with my DACport LX, but I'm not willing to spend the money to find out - I'm content for now.

 

That said, for someone who doesn't own an AC-powered desktop DAC, but wants a portable DAC to do double-duty, the iUSBPower seems like a worthwhile experiment.

 

Thanks again for your very credible comments!

 

Mike 


No problem and I pretty much agree completely with everything you say. I'd also read Michael Lavorgna's comments. I assume it's down to how the power supply is implemented but I have no technical knowledge so it's pure speculation. As with most things, most likely the more you pay the better it gets and with better DACs there's probably less need for what the iUSB can do. I also agree with the views others have expressed that "a good big 'un will usually beat a good little 'un" when comparing desktop to portable equipment. To be honest no one can be more surprised than me that the iUSB has had such a positive influence on the ME's sound. I'm also kind of disappointed too because power supplies are so boring! As I said, in time we'll have more inputs as others try the iUSB so perhaps some greater clarity will emerge.

 

Your comment on the Stepdance hit the spot. I've only just recently given mine to my son and was one of those that bought a linear power supply, only to then think "why have I done this?" I do think there's more of a case for using a portable DAC as part of a semi-fixed rig, but the point was well made!

post #385 of 986

I was talking with Brian at TTVJ just now. He said Meridian has only been able to send them about 10 units per week so far, which has temporarily held up some orders. I ordered mine last night, which he said should be fulfilled by a larger shipment they're receiving on Monday. Just FYI.

post #386 of 986

The main reason I went with TTVJ is cause they've got a healthy, 30-day MBG policy in the event I don't like the Explorer.  I'm unsure whether other ME vendors offer that.. but if they do, great.

post #387 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

The main reason I went with TTVJ is cause they've got a healthy, 30-day MBG policy in the event I don't like the Explorer.  I'm unsure whether other ME vendors offer that.. but if they do, great.


Likewise...  I'm hoping I like it, but it's comforting to know a reputable online shop like TTVJ has a good return policy.

post #388 of 986

Can't say I'm surprised that they are 'flying off the shelves'. Meridian anything for $300 is unheard of - throw in the glowing review from Chris Connaker (how the hell he gets gear so quickly is a mystery to me) and the fact that the press release has gone beyond the usual hardcore audio sites and it should have been obvious to Meridian that this would sell like hot 'cakes. With maple syrup. And a big dob of butter. Bought to your table by a waitress who looks like Seven of Nine - resistance really is futile.

 

Hmm - I have to go now. Sudden and inexplicable hunger pangs.  :D

post #389 of 986

Has anyone seen any credible measurements on the ME yet ? Read a claim elsewhere that the output impedance is 48 ohms - if accurate, it may explain why it hasnt been 'all that' to some folks out there. 

post #390 of 986
That certainly may be an issue however I mainly used it to feed an amp so I never really experienced that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC