Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC - Page 71

post #1051 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbkot View Post
 

Do you have some evidence that USB cable makes a difference?

 

http://archimago.blogspot.de/2013/04/measurements-usb-cables-for-dacs.html

 

garbage against garbage is still garbage.  

Reply
post #1052 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by XERO1 View Post
 

Can someone please confirm for me if both of the outputs can be used simultaneously or not?

 

Thanks.

I think I read somewhere that when using one output it cancells the other to maximize sound quality, but I'm not sure.

 

The explorer2 should be much better than the original version, at least on paper:

 

 

I think this will be my next toy as an upgrade to the DragonFly 1.2 which I still very appreciate.     I can't resist the explorer2..Upsampling OH BOY !
And I already have a Kimber USB cable waiting for it :)


Edited by plonter - 12/20/14 at 10:02am
post #1053 of 1063

Just got the Explorer² today. Initial reaction after ~6 hours of listening to FLAC files on my HD700: Holy crap it sounds good!

 

I did roughly 10 AB comparisons of different tracks from different genres hooked up to Vali using E² as DAC and also using only E² as a DAC/amp combo. There is definitely a difference. I prefer using E² as a DAC and Vali as the amp, but would not mind at all using E² as my portable DAC/amp, since there's no wall wart to worry about and it's small enough to carry in my pocket or backpack if need be. When used as a DAC/amp combo, there is no sound floor / hiss like there is when using the Vali as the amp. The sound is slightly colored as a DAC/amp and also slightly less smooth than when using Vali with it, but still incredibly detailed and resolving. I have to listen to it more and do some more tests with my IEMs.

 

There should be a new thread made just for the Explorer²; it deserves one. I think Meridian built a very high quality portable DAC/amp combo. This is probably what Meridian wanted the first Explorer to be. 

 

By the way, I bought Explorer² from a guy on eBay who has a decent amount of stock on hand. I'm not going to say what I paid for mine, but let's just say it's below the $300 retail price. It was factory sealed and in perfect condition when it arrived.

 

 

 

post #1054 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click View Post

Just got the Explorer² today. Initial reaction after ~6 hours of listening to FLAC files on my HD700: Holy crap it sounds good!

I did roughly 10 AB comparisons of different tracks from different genres hooked up to Vali using E² as DAC and also using only E² as a DAC/amp combo. There is definitely a difference. I prefer using E² as a DAC and Vali as the amp, but would not mind at all using E² as my portable DAC/amp, since there's no wall wart to worry about and it's small enough to carry in my pocket or backpack if need be. When used as a DAC/amp combo, there is no sound floor / hiss like there is when using the Vali as the amp. The sound is slightly colored as a DAC/amp and also slightly less smooth than when using Vali with it, but still incredibly detailed and resolving. I have to listen to it more and do some more tests with my IEMs.

There should be a new thread made just for the Explorer²; it deserves one. I think Meridian built a very high quality portable DAC/amp combo. This is probably what Meridian wanted the first Explorer to be. 

By the way, I bought Explorer² from a guy on eBay who has a decent amount of stock on hand. I'm not going to say what I paid for mine, but let's just say it's below the $300 retail price. It was factory sealed and in perfect condition when it arrived.










So, does it have a wide sound stage??
Is it better than DX100 and Geek Out?
post #1055 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaivpc1 View Post


So, does it have a wide sound stage??
Is it better than DX100 and Geek Out?

Don't have those to compare, but it does have very good soundstage (more than hooked up to Vali). Then again, I'm using HD700 which has incredible soundstage capabilities. I have to test it with my other headphones and IEMs to give more details.

 

Another pic: 

 


Edited by Click - 12/20/14 at 9:59pm
post #1056 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by XERO1 View Post
 

Can someone please confirm for me if both of the outputs can be used simultaneously or not?

 

Thanks.


Hi,

I just received the Meridian Explorer and have been playing around with it.  Out of curiosity I tried it and both outputs are active at the same time.

I am using both outputs at the moment.  Driving a K712 off the Meridian's headphone output and a K7XX off the line output to a Topping NX1 portable amp.

Bought from Amazon and after installing the drivers I can see in the Meridian USB Control Panel that it came with the latest firmware installed already so I thought that was a very good sign.

post #1057 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramertc View Post
 


Hi,

I just received the Meridian Explorer and have been playing around with it.  Out of curiosity I tried it and both outputs are active at the same time.

I am using both outputs at the moment.  Driving a K712 off the Meridian's headphone output and a K7XX off the line output to a Topping NX1 portable amp.

 

Sweet!  Thanks!

post #1058 of 1063

After being very impressed with Explorer² hooked up to HD700, I'm now testing it with my IEMs. Even more impressed. This thing brings out the full potential of my music collection and modest stock of IEMs and headphones. 

 

There seriously needs to be more hype for the E². Not many people have posted feedback on it yet, which is surprising.

post #1059 of 1063

I'd love to pick up an Explorer 2, but the price point is too high for me. I feel like $150 is a great price for a portable DAC. If I were to spend much more, I feel like I would be better off putting the money towards higher end headphones than my M50x's, Grado SR80's, or SE 535's.

 

Also, I read that Retina MacBook Pro's (I use one daily) and newer Apple computers have respectable DACs. They won't do 192k or anything like that, but I don't have that demanding of a music collection yet, and it seems like my three pairs of headphones are doing fine without an amp.

 

I am intrigued by the original Explorer, but I'm concerned I won't notice enough of a difference by using one. That said, I read that the Explorer 2 is noticeably better, so maybe it would be a worthwhile upgrade. 

 

Hopefully there will be new offerings at CES (I'm guessing there are DACs at CES, but I have no clue) at lower price points, or maybe some competition will drive the price of the Explorer 2 down.

post #1060 of 1063

Yes, the retail price of Explorer² is pretty steep but in my opinion, it's worth it for the sound quality you get out of the device. 

 

If you're looking for just a DAC around $150, there are many choices. I've listed some in my post HERE.

 

However, a high quality, portable DAC + amp combo is more difficult to come by, especially at $150. 

 

Anyway, I made a new thread for Explorer². I hope new owners of the E² will post their impressions there...

post #1061 of 1063
Comment also moved the Meridian Explorer 2 impressions thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/747327/meridian-explorer-impressions-thread
Edited by sm4rt1 - 12/23/14 at 12:03pm
post #1062 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by adg4 View Post
 

I'd love to pick up an Explorer 2, but the price point is too high for me. I feel like $150 is a great price for a portable DAC. If I were to spend much more, I feel like I would be better off putting the money towards higher end headphones than my M50x's, Grado SR80's, or SE 535's.

 

Also, I read that Retina MacBook Pro's (I use one daily) and newer Apple computers have respectable DACs. They won't do 192k or anything like that, but I don't have that demanding of a music collection yet, and it seems like my three pairs of headphones are doing fine without an amp.

 

I am intrigued by the original Explorer, but I'm concerned I won't notice enough of a difference by using one. That said, I read that the Explorer 2 is noticeably better, so maybe it would be a worthwhile upgrade. 

 

Hopefully there will be new offerings at CES (I'm guessing there are DACs at CES, but I have no clue) at lower price points, or maybe some competition will drive the price of the Explorer 2 down.

 

Retina Macbook Pros have good dacs, the problem is in some models output impedance of the headphone jack is too high (about 20 ohms) which can cause low impedance headphones to perform below the optimal level.This high output impedance problem exists in many sound cards/headphone jacks various brands. 

post #1063 of 1063

I moved this comment to a more appropriate thread (Explorer2 impressions)


Edited by plonter - 12/23/14 at 10:23am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC