Recent Images In This Thread
- productMeridian Explorertagged by dbsaffor, 10/11/13
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison: Meridian Explorer vs HRT Microstreamer Last post on 6/24/15 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- $189 ALO Audio The Key USB DAC - 32-Bit / 384KHz with PCM5102A Last post on 6/13/16 at 2:18am in Portable Source Gear
- DAC Meridian explorer vs DAC Shiit Modi Last post on 2/16/14 at 3:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- One USB HUB to Rule Them All Last post on 4/25/15 at 11:23pm in Portable Source Gear
- Meridian Explorer vs. O2+ODAC COMBO Last post on 2/1/14 at 3:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/10/15
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
I love the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 Ohms. After searching high and low for a closed back headphone I fell upon these knowing that I would carry an amp. With the Cayin C5 - High gain at about 2.5...
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC - Page 8
Gear mentioned in this thread:
First impressions are excellents. I'm using with my Hifiman HE-400,hd650 and Phonak Pfe 022.
Incredible detailed sound! Next week I will publish a full review on my Blog. Old&NewSound.blogspot
Looking forward to reading your review.
An early report - MacBookPro - iTunes only - Senn Momentum - about 20 hours of burn in. (music - all sorts, Ingrid Fliter to Sleigh Bells with all sorts of in between)
Of course its a nice DAC/AMP.... Differences with the DragonFly so far : more "hifi" with much better "air" and soundstage, neutral, with no "bloom". I really like what I am hearing. This amp actually makes the emphasized bass of the Momentum show up. I will switch to my AT ESW phones for another listen. Currently I will probably leave the Momentum with the DragonFly, that was a pretty balanced setup.
Wow, different phones, different sound. My AT ESW10JPN continue to be my favorite portable headphones. The bass is a good bit better with the Explorer than the DragonFly with these phones. The major WOW is the midrange with this DAC/AMP and the AT phones. My jazz is back. Instruments are sharper, and the nice treble is not sibilant at all. This will be my main travel set now.
I still need to do some trials with my IEMS, and some trials with BitPerfect+iTunes, and some of the other players.
That's what M is all about, sweet neutrality. You actually hear the music, not the gear.
Just got mine a few minutes ago (a day early--what more could you ask for?). Took about 5 minutes to unpack (a lot of protective plastic on the end caps and around the aluminum body), then installed the drivers, which I had downloaded earlier in the week. Did all the optional settings "for best sound quality" as recommended in the setup guide. Piece of cake (on Windows 7 PC). I'm currently using MediaMonkey (about 27,000 files, primarily .wav, with optimized metadata--long project). I was concerned with the volume level needed to drive my ALO-mod'd AKG K701's, but not to worry. Comfortable volume level is at about 3.5 on the slider scale. Improved bass over my MusicStreamer II right out of the box. Listening to the HD Tracks download of Chick Corea/Gary Burton's "Hot House", a 24/96 file. I can even hear the low-level mechanical squeaks on Burton's vibes! As an earlier poster noted, "you hear the music". Not having to spring for a separate amp (or haul my Woo WA6 from home) means more $$ for music! I am very pleased; $300 well spent!
Can you confirm that it does work with the iPad/CCK with a powered hub?
A very quick first impression. MacBook Pro running Fidelia>Explorer>Toxic Cables silver widow 3.5 jack to twin RCA > Icon Audio HP8 Mk2> HD800
Set up a simple plug and play, no problems at all. I just had to adjust the Fidelia setting to the correct output - Meridian Explorer rather than built in and I got music straight away.
Sound initially clean, very detailed, slightly lean, top end a tad over emphasized and bright, sound stage a little compressed. I left it to run for a couple of hours.
Now I still notice the detail first but the overall balance is much more satisfactory, even after just a couple of hours, with the bottom end filled out more and the upper range toned down closer to what I'd expect to hear. Very dynamic and transparent presentation with a well defined, wide-ish sound stage and plenty of air around the instruments. Vivid and neutral are the words that comes to mind, there's nothing veiled or laid back at all about what I'm hearing, but all seems to be well controlled right across the sound spectrum. It's a bold presentation of the music - exciting - with very good dynamics and a very real sense of the instruments being played and, more importantly the way they're being played.
With more subtle, gentle music things are still good - very euphonic. Human voices are nicely presented. Very impressive with electronic music too. The combination with my tube amp seems very promising indeed. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with what I'm hearing at the moment and, who know, it may well get better....
- NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
- › 1989 VS 2017............M.............E!! 1 minute ago
- › SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by... 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 3 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear in stock and a loaner program! 5 minutes ago
- › iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a... 5 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 5 minutes ago
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...