or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 665

post #9961 of 24347

So, what is your source? Just discs (CD, SACD, DVDA) or discs and computer.. The Oppo can be used as an outboard DAC. Great place to start!

 

From Oppo: USB Asynchronous DAC – By bypassing the low fidelity, poor quality DAC of traditional computer soundcards, the BDP-105 turns any computer into a high performing multi-media source by converting digital audio to analog through the ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC. If your computer can play it, the BDP-105 can convert it to analog.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by listen4joy View Post
 

so i dont need DAC?


Edited by MickeyVee - 4/17/14 at 12:31pm
post #9962 of 24347
Quote:
Originally Posted by listen4joy View Post
 

i plan to build a setup with my future HD800.

do i need amp and dac toghter?

my amp will be Headamp GSX-MK2 

and the source will be OPPO BDP105 and my pc (foobar2000) and Asus Xonar D2X

i need a good DAC like PWD or AUDIO GD MASTER 7?

amp is not enough? and maybe the oppo source is not good enough?

suggestions? i am confused (noob)

My experience with all headphone is that once you get into a decent DAC (AQ Dragonfly, Meridian Explorer, CEnterence DACport, etc) you are at the 90-95% of the sound quality you are likely going to get. e.g. you are into the world of diminishing returns where you typically spend ever increasing amounts of money to get small improvement in sound quality.

 

The Oppo 105 is an amazing versatile item. If you need that versatility then you won't regret using the Oppo 105, and would likely need to spend close to the price of the Oppo 105 on a dedicated DAC to make a significant improvement in SQ. I would say the Oppo 105 is not going to stop you from enjoying the HD800.  Something like the Master-7 or PWD would be a step up.  How much of an improve you hear I can't predict, but I doubt it will be a day -vs- night difference.

 

With amplifiers you want an amplifier than can cleanly put 500mw into the HD800 or you will be seriously holding it back. This rules out all the USB only DACs or low power headphone out/amplifiers I have tried.  But once you have gotten into on the the decent amplifiers you will be at the 90% of the SQ and the HD800 will sound quite good.

 

The HD800 scale very well, so going with a top end headphone amplifier will improve the sound quality.  I found the HD800 very enjoyable with a DragonFly into a Headamp Pico Power or GS-1, or being driven my the HiFi-M8.  But a top end DAC + the Headamp GS-Xmk2 did take the SQ up a level.  Personally I don't think there is a better amp for the HD800 than the GS-Xmk2, though there are a few which are different but equal such as the EC Balancing Act.

 

Whatever you settle on, just remember that most of us experience adaptive hedonism, e.g. what is amazing the first time we hear it can easily become just ok after awhile because you get used to what is amazing.  This can lead to a never ending chase (and emptying of the wallet). Personally, I recommend people find a sound quality that lets them enjoy the music and doesn't distract and then work to cultivate a sense of gratitude for what they are hearing.

 

--Mark

post #9963 of 24347
Has anyone compared the ALO Salt & Pepper cable versus the Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 Premium cable? Or is cable talk taboo in this thread...I am a new HD800 owner and looking for the best cable to pair it with.
post #9964 of 24347
Quote:
Originally Posted by listen4joy View Post

i plan to build a setup with my future HD800.
do i need amp and dac toghter?
my amp will be Headamp GSX-MK2 
and the source will be OPPO BDP105 and my pc (foobar2000) and Asus Xonar D2X
i need a good DAC like PWD or AUDIO GD MASTER 7?
amp is not enough? and maybe the oppo source is not good enough?
suggestions? i am confused (noob)

If you are truly building your setup around the HD800 have you also considered the DNA Stratus? Seems like people are pretty psyched with how it pairs with the HD800’s
post #9965 of 24347
Quote:
Originally Posted by verber View Post
 

My experience with all headphone is that once you get into a decent DAC (AQ Dragonfly, Meridian Explorer, CEnterence DACport, etc) you are at the 90-95% of the sound quality you are likely going to get. e.g. you are into the world of diminishing returns where you typically spend ever increasing amounts of money to get small improvement in sound quality.

 

The Oppo 105 is an amazing versatile item. If you need that versatility then you won't regret using the Oppo 105, and would likely need to spend close to the price of the Oppo 105 on a dedicated DAC to make a significant improvement in SQ. I would say the Oppo 105 is not going to stop you from enjoying the HD800.  Something like the Master-7 or PWD would be a step up.  How much of an improve you hear I can't predict, but I doubt it will be a day -vs- night difference.

 

With amplifiers you want an amplifier than can cleanly put 500mw into the HD800 or you will be seriously holding it back. This rules out all the USB only DACs or low power headphone out/amplifiers I have tried.  But once you have gotten into on the the decent amplifiers you will be at the 90% of the SQ and the HD800 will sound quite good.

 

The HD800 scale very well, so going with a top end headphone amplifier will improve the sound quality.  I found the HD800 very enjoyable with a DragonFly into a Headamp Pico Power or GS-1, or being driven my the HiFi-M8.  But a top end DAC + the Headamp GS-Xmk2 did take the SQ up a level.  Personally I don't think there is a better amp for the HD800 than the GS-Xmk2, though there are a few which are different but equal such as the EC Balancing Act.

 

Whatever you settle on, just remember that most of us experience adaptive hedonism, e.g. what is amazing the first time we hear it can easily become just ok after awhile because you get used to what is amazing.  This can lead to a never ending chase (and emptying of the wallet). Personally, I recommend people find a sound quality that lets them enjoy the music and doesn't distract and then work to cultivate a sense of gratitude for what they are hearing.

 

--Mark

point taken but it is very hard to be satisfied, at least for me. I like the chase. 

post #9966 of 24347
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post

point taken but it is very hard to be satisfied, at least for me. I like the chase. 

Yup. What it takes to satisfy differs between people. I am more easily satisfied than some here, but harder to satisfy than the average listener. As to the chase, there are some people that the chase is the hobbie... For me the chase isn't as interesting as listening to music without things that distract me.
post #9967 of 24347
Quote:
Originally Posted by verber View Post


Yup. What it takes to satisfy differs between people. I am more easily satisfied than some here, but harder to satisfy than the average listener. As to the chase, there are some people that the chase is the hobbie... For me the chase isn't as interesting as listening to music without things that distract me.

+1 very well said. :beerchug:

post #9968 of 24347

No matter how many headphone I listen too and I  have quite a few here I always gravitate back to the hd800 eventually .

post #9969 of 24347

I had to get in on page 666.

 

On my head are 800s into a Mjolnir into a Sony CDP playing Primus' Pork Soda, and all I can say is :D

post #9970 of 24347

I've recently heard the hd800, and was impressed by it 3d-like feature.

 

My question is is it natural or just a gimmick?

 

I'm refering here to mixer made content (rock,pop), not to 'naturally' recorded (that has 2mics before whole band or orchestra) cause those sound 3d event on much cheaper stuff.

You know, the stuff which is produced by recording each instrument separatly (or simultaniously but each instrument has its own mic),

when then some guy those the positioning using a mixer and predefined schema (like rythmics guitars on the left).

Because those recordings sound rather flat (there is not much depth, or layers) on headphones like HD600,Pro80,K550. There is additional 3dness added on for example akg 701 or fidelio l1, but for me that seems kind of artifical.

 

For instance HD800 have more than normal content above 10kHz (which i do like), but that might be forcing more 3d ness?

 

Actually I don't have a reference with a proper stereo setup (just wrongly positioned 5.1 setup, that why I'm more into heaphones)


Edited by xdog - 4/18/14 at 1:46am
post #9971 of 24347

^^ Originally stereo was starkly left and right(still is). Speakers headphones etc all set to emphasize this with our modern hifi's over the old mono ones. These days both speakers and headphones try to replicate a more realistic image. Good speakers shouldn't sound left and right but more 'in front' as well as to the sides there should be no gaps in the image. When you close your eyes with good speakers you shouldn't be able to discern where the speakers are. When you are at a concert the sound surrounds you, so in that respect headphones that create a more whole image rather than just left and right are infact more realistic in creating what and actual band or orchestra sounds like live. After all real life is 3d!     

post #9972 of 24347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post

I had to get in on page 666.

On my head are 800s into a Mjolnir into a Sony CDP playing Primus' Pork Soda, and all I can say is biggrin.gif

How is the sound thru the Mjolnir?
post #9973 of 24347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossliew View Post


How is the sound thru the Mjolnir?


I would like to know this also.

 

:popcorn:

post #9974 of 24347

The hd800 listening on the Mk2  balanced with the BDP 105 to Rob Wasserman Trilogy and bass is very textured and defined and not missing anything with this combo.  The HD800 is still my goto headphone when I really want to know what on the recordingor the gear. MK2 is perfect for them

post #9975 of 24347

My experience with HD800 is a bit bright and thin in sound. I tuned it by using a cropper RCA cable (Crimson audio) from DAC to Tube amp. After that, everything is fine and starting to enjoy music more than 1.5years.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread