Anyone spent some time with the Cavalli Liquid Glass and HD800 combo? Appreciate your impressions, please : )
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! Last post on Today at 6:29 am in High-end Audio Forum
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on 5/21/15 at 10:20am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 6/7/16 at 7:39pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 12/1/16 at 1:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- My Grado SR325e's lost their magic Last post on 8/23/15 at 5:45am in Headphones (full-size)
I try not to be an extremist and I try to give most products I review a decent amount of hearing before making any judgments on their quality but when a product reaches with a level of quality I...
A great purchase for under 180 pounds, these headphones blow the direct competition away when it comes to almost everything. They arrive in a nice premium package with a thick, high grade cable for...
A reasonably priced pair of premium Open back headphones. They are well made and super comfortable and have a luxurious appearance well suited to home hi fi use. Unlike other hi fidelity phones...
Disclaimer: Bhavneet from Burson Audio offered to send me the Cable+, with no return required, asking me only to post my honest evaluation of its performance when used with the Chromecast...
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 664
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I am using the Modi but i suspect this is holding back the cans. Everything sounds bright, even thru the Lyr. Only when I roll in some Amperex Golden Globes do they sound warmer. Am I on the right track here? Am also mulling if the Valhalla might have been a better amp choice..any thoughts, guys?
That's because of the Modi. Change your DAC or try BH Crack without the Speedball.
Yeah, guessed as much but I'm holding it back till I sort the amp. Now using the Little Dot Mk III to drive the cans and still waiting for some tubes to arrive. Mulling over whether I should just go Gungnir instead of Uberfrost or perhaps the MiniMax Dac Plus.
I agree with you on this. The two I heard took away what I liked about the HD800s. I have no problem at all with this so called peak.
Edited by preproman - 4/17/14 at 5:19am
Started out a couple years ago with a Lawton modded pair of Denon's D5000 and since i got the HD800 i hardly listen to the D-5000 anymore you wont regret your purchase i would think.
After some experimentation with my Schiit and the HD800, i found a satisfying combo which (to me) preserves the expansive soundstage and superb clarity of the 800s whilst fleshing out more of the bottom end which makes the music fuller bodied and more fun to listen to :
Acer Aspire 5745G laptop running Spotify Premium > Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable > Schiit Lyr as pre-amp (with GE 6BQ7A tubes / Supra Lorad 2.5 power cords) > Schiit PYST RCA interconnects > Schiit Vali > HD800 (stock cabled, no Anax mod)
Need to try different tube combos with the Lyr later.
As an aside, I also tried the Lyr as pre-amp into the LD Mk 3, which sounded pretty good but I somewhat prefered the LD as a pre-amp into the Lyr.
But the first mentioned combo goes to show how versatile and impressive the Vali is. Definitely should be on anyone's buy list.
Same here regarding the so called peak. This thread keeps going round in circles with the same subject but I suppose it has to when new peeps join in.
The HD800 aren't as peaky in the treble as say - Grado, Denon, AKG, Beyerdynamic in general and so to be fair they aren't really a peaky headphone at all. They will sound brighter up top compared to hp's with rolled off treble however - HD650, LCD2 for e.g. They have about the same brightness level as the higher end Hifiman's. Balanced with the rest of the freq response. They are transparent - and will sound bright if your source is. If you source is warm then they will sound warm.
I can understand some being sensitive to the transparency of the HD800 however, and so a bit of EQ or a modification to calm the treble for young or just sensitive ears can make a lot of sense. Also there a lot of bad or hard edged recordings out there and the Senn's will never comfort you from those.
But this is how it is when you buy a super transparent high end headphone. Your bad recordings get banished to a box in the attic haha
After a session with the Grado RS1i and then going to the HD800, the HD800 sound dark.
I find no peak with the HD800 and for me, it has absolutely fabulous exteded and detailed treble and I have no fatigue, ever. Can't say that about the RS1i eventhough I really like them.
When reading other peoples comments/criticisms/praises, you really have to take into consideration their source, amplification and personal listening preferences. For the new peeps.. you hear what you hear and should judge for themselves on their own equipment. Our opinions are just that, opinions other than the fact that the HD800 are one if the best headphones around :) .. if they suit your listening style and preferences.
Running off a WA6, I'm a bit on the dark side and that suits me. I've read priaises with other amplifiers that people love, listened for myself and they simply did not do it for me.
Trust your ears!
i plan to build a setup with my future HD800.
do i need amp and dac toghter?
my amp will be Headamp GSX-MK2
and the source will be OPPO BDP105 and my pc (foobar2000) and Asus Xonar D2X
i need a good DAC like PWD or AUDIO GD MASTER 7?
amp is not enough? and maybe the oppo source is not good enough?
suggestions? i am confused (noob)
Edited by listen4joy - 4/17/14 at 8:18am
- The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 2 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 seconds ago
- › WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in) 58 seconds ago
- › Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 1 minute ago
- › Is there a meaningful limit to resolution? Optics analogy to Audio 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 2 minutes ago
- › Experimental Rock Music (Space Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Gothic Rock,... 2 minutes ago
- › The Traditional Metal Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear