... Does anyone here try the Ear Max Pro Silver Edition OTL amp with HD800 before? I'm really wanna know what is your opinion on this tiny tube amp...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison Review: HD-800, HD-700, PM-1, and HE-560 Last post on 1/24/15 at 12:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I really need help from the savvy veteran knowledgeable guys here Last post on 1/18/15 at 1:27am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- So my first "non-cheapo" cans were.... Last post on 1/21/15 at 11:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Review: An "artistic" comparison between the PS1Ke and the HD800 Last post on 1/8/15 at 3:31am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
In short words: The Fidue is on par with the Sony EX1000 (little less sound stage and depth, but better, more flat sound signature) Downside: Cable plugs to the earphone speakers was...
I am an audiophile and these cans really deliver! Spacious and open with a neutral but pacy kick. These phones are the business but deserve a headphone amp to really bounce! Nevertheless, you will...
HiFiMAN RE-300h Review with RE-400 comparisons and comments Disclaimer: The following review is my subjective assessment of the headphone. I am in no way affiliated with HiFiMAN nor am I...
Sorry for no actual review as i have just got into audio recently and this is my first pair or good headphones. But even i could tell there was alot of sub bass not loud but its definitely...
Ever since picking these IEMs up, they have been my go-to pair for almost every genre of music. They provide a great balance of neutrality paired with extremely forward and lush mids which do not...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 661
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hi guys, thank you for the advice but I would prioritize solid-state amps at the moment.
It seems that our option is limited though unless you want to look into really esoteric brands such as Bakoon.
Pretty much. I'd say you can consider Dynahi (DIY) Ragnarok, ECP's line (if you can find one of his amps,) the Master 9 and maybe Liquid Gold.
Edited by paradoxper - 4/13/14 at 5:37am
I think @roguegeek compiled a list of 6-8 SS amps for the HD800 between the price range of $1000-2000 a couple weeks back in this thread.
I'm still deliberating between the HD800 and TH900 but I thought I'm going to ask for amplifier recommendation here since there is still a good chance of me ending up with the Sennheiser flagship. So please bear with my musings.
I haven't had much experience with high-end solid-state amplifiers designed for headphones so my experience is limited to a couple few namely the HeadAmp GS-X 2, AURALiC Taurus MK2, Schiit Mjolnir and a balanced AMB Beta22. The last one is an open-source DIY but the builder is a professional and it's a "holds no barred" build, complete with a digital volume control.
Listening impressions are done with the HD800 and TH900 using Esoteric P-05/D-05 CD transport and D/A processor stack.
The Mjolnir is not in the same class as the other three so let's leave it out of the equation for now. :-)
The Taurus MK2 and GS-X surprisingly sound quite similar to these ears with only minute differences here and there: the AURALiC unit has a meatier bass with a slight bass bloom while the HeadAmp unit has an airier, slightly more open treble. They both still have that solid-state aura about them though, perhaps what we would call a slightly cold, clinical sheen over the sound.
Which now brings us to the Beta22.
The AMB unit is really, really interesting because it doesn't have that archetypal solid-state sound: it has a liquidity to its sound that one normally attributes to excellent tube amps. At the same time, its ability to resolve details in the recordings is the best among the amps that I have tested in this comparison although I would say that the GS-X 2 is not too far behind.
My only complaints is it runs extremely hot and aesthetically it's not as nice as the rest owing to its DIY nature. Sonically though, I think it's at least a step above.
So what do I do next? Ideally I would want to avoid DIY design because I can't be bothered with the hassle but I have to admit that the Beta22 is a very tempting proposition. I would want to explore other options first though.
I'm aware that Schiit is releasing a new flagship amplifier. Do you folks think that it will have a comparable performance to the amplifiers that I've tested so far?
I'm all ears to suggestions. :-)
Last but not least, I would like to apologize for the lengthy post containing inane rambles of an old man.
Not sure what the rest of your chain was. But I can guarantee in my system that the Taurus is not cold or clinical. Beyond my own experience I haft never seen a single user report or professional reviewer say this either
I'm enjoying my newly-acquired Lehmann Linear SE at the moment, FWIW.
I totally agree that the Taurus is neither cold or clinical. I think the Taurus is one of the top choices for the HD800. I always been into tube amps and currently own 2 but the Taurus has made me a complete convert.
Hi, thank you for the heads-up about the ECP amps! I have never heard of the brand before so it's nice to learn something new here. :-)
@Sonido and @Amictus
I shall take a look. Thank you for the tips.
I apologize if my impressions caused a misunderstanding but please be aware that I was speaking in relative terms. By themselves neither the Taurus MK2 or GS-X 2 sounds too overly cold nor clinical (the fact that I allude to by using the term "slightly" in my original post) but the coloration becomes apparent when you compare them directly with an amplifier that has even less of such properties, which in this case is the Beta22.
Actually, the Beta has a very "old school" sound to me which reminds me of the very best of Krell amps.
If your going DIY why not go for the Su Sy Dynahi? IMO it's miles ahead of the Beta22.
FWIW the Beta22 kicked the GS-1 out the door, the GS-X mk2 kicked the Beta22 out the door, then the F1J kicked the GS-X mk2 out the door.
What HPs did you try with the SuSy? I have been curious if such a powerful amp could run sensitive headphones like the TH900 without too much hiss? I am sure that it would do the business with the HD800.
OH - my bad. I haven't tried the SuSy yet. I've heard an older Dynahi a few years ago and it was with the HD800. The older Dynahi was also miles ahead of the Beta22. So I was just taking an educated guess that the SuSy would be the same or better.
Tsk Tsk Preproman.... getting my hopes up like that.
- The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 19 seconds ago
- › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread 41 seconds ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!! 1 minute ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 1 minute ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Havi B6 ! 2 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 2 minutes ago
- › UK 2015 Head-Fi Meet (Cambridge - Saturday 25th April) 2 minutes ago
- › THE BHSE DEPRESSED AWAITING DELIVERY THREAD 2 minutes ago
- › USB Audio Recorder PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous... 3 minutes ago
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3