or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 654

post #9796 of 19527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

The most important thing. Check.

 

 

Might want to look into purchasing them from colorware to preserve the life of the paint.  That's if your willing to pay the full MSRP.

post #9797 of 19527

I received my HDVD800 yesterday, had a listen through a few tracks on my hd800 on the single ended stock cable, waiting on my balanced cable to arrive should be here today.

I am letting it burn in through tomorrow when I will have the evening to really sit and listen and form a better impression.

But from the small sample last night, I am very happy to say I like what I am hearing and from all accounts the balanced should sound even better so I am pretty thrilled.

post #9798 of 19527

Get a Moon Black Dragon cable for the sonics (it's just what the HD800 needs, like it was made for it).

post #9799 of 19527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post



For me, yes.

 



Hope this is true, then I don't have to buy SR009. smily_headphones1.gif
post #9800 of 19527

At the moment I'm running my Hifiman 901 as my DAC and my amplifier is a Corda Classic. I love the set up but I've seen people posting about using tube amps. Does a tube amp make that much difference when it comes to the sound signature? 

 

I recently read the paper The State of the Flagship and even though I think it's a personal preference when it comes to open or closed headphones (I prefer closed), I agree with the definition of what the paper said a flagship headphones should provide. I enjoy the sound of my HD800, but I prefer my ED8 since the bass is stronger because it's a closed headphone. Unfortunately Ultrasone's headphones are fashion accessories first so IMHO the price paid isn't worth the sound coming out of the dynamic drivers. The mids on the ED8 don't come close to touching the HD800, in saying that does your amplifier play that much of a difference in the quality of sound coming out of your headphones if your amplifier is pushing Class A (extremely clean power) Power?  

 

If it does why not just by a headphones between $500 to $1000 and increase the cost of the amplifier that is being purchased? Before I purchased the HD800 I looked at the Audeze LCD-3, after looking at the weight and talking to a couple of owners about comfort I decided on the HD800 and I have no regrets. This headphones has to be the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, I'm getting to the point where if what I buy its not made in Germany or a Scandinavian Country I'm not going waist my money. (Hifiman will be the only exception because of the quality of the internal components, my 901 looks like a plastic toy but the sound coming out of it is makes me smile) Hopefully I can get some good recommendations. 

 

The tube amp I've had my eye on is the Icon Audio HP8 MKII, I know this is made in the UK so I have to ask has anyone paired this with the HD800? 

post #9801 of 19527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey36 View Post

At the moment I'm running my Hifiman 901 as my DAC and my amplifier is a Corda Classic. I love the set up but I've seen people posting about using tube amps. Does a tube amp make that much difference when it comes to the sound signature? 



 



I recently read the paper The State of the Flagship and even though I think it's a personal preference when it comes to open or closed headphones (I prefer closed), I agree with the definition of what the paper said a flagship headphones should provide. I enjoy the sound of my HD800, but I prefer my ED8 since the bass is stronger because it's a closed headphone. Unfortunately Ultrasone's headphones are fashion accessories first so IMHO the price paid isn't worth the sound coming out of the dynamic drivers. The mids on the ED8 don't come close to touching the HD800, in saying that does your amplifier play that much of a difference in the quality of sound coming out of your headphones if your amplifier is pushing Class A (extremely clean power) Power?  



 



If it does why not just by a headphones between $500 to $1000 and increase the cost of the amplifier that is being purchased? Before I purchased the HD800 I looked at the Audeze LCD-3, after looking at the weight and talking to a couple of owners about comfort I decided on the HD800 and I have no regrets. This headphones has to be the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, I'm getting to the point where if what I buy its not made in Germany or a Scandinavian Country I'm not going waist my money. (Hifiman will be the only exception because of the quality of the internal components, my 901 looks like a plastic toy but the sound coming out of it is makes me smile) Hopefully I can get some good recommendations. 



 



The tube amp I've had my eye on is the Icon Audio HP8 MKII, I know this is made in the UK so I have to ask has anyone paired this with the HD800? 

 



You made the right choice, I liked my Audeze but weight and discomfort just doesn't do it, and I am not a fan of dark sounding.
post #9802 of 19527
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

Might want to look into purchasing them from colorware to preserve the life of the paint.  That's if your willing to pay the full MSRP.

 

I know about Colorware but doing that automatically kills their warranty with Sennheiser. Coloware only offer a year warranty on those. For two years it's $299 extra.

 

Care to explain the paint preservation?

post #9803 of 19527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey36 View Post
 

At the moment I'm running my Hifiman 901 as my DAC and my amplifier is a Corda Classic. I love the set up but I've seen people posting about using tube amps. Does a tube amp make that much difference when it comes to the sound signature? 

 

I recently read the paper The State of the Flagship and even though I think it's a personal preference when it comes to open or closed headphones (I prefer closed), I agree with the definition of what the paper said a flagship headphones should provide. I enjoy the sound of my HD800, but I prefer my ED8 since the bass is stronger because it's a closed headphone. Unfortunately Ultrasone's headphones are fashion accessories first so IMHO the price paid isn't worth the sound coming out of the dynamic drivers. The mids on the ED8 don't come close to touching the HD800, in saying that does your amplifier play that much of a difference in the quality of sound coming out of your headphones if your amplifier is pushing Class A (extremely clean power) Power?  

 

If it does why not just by a headphones between $500 to $1000 and increase the cost of the amplifier that is being purchased? Before I purchased the HD800 I looked at the Audeze LCD-3, after looking at the weight and talking to a couple of owners about comfort I decided on the HD800 and I have no regrets. This headphones has to be the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, I'm getting to the point where if what I buy its not made in Germany or a Scandinavian Country I'm not going waist my money. (Hifiman will be the only exception because of the quality of the internal components, my 901 looks like a plastic toy but the sound coming out of it is makes me smile) Hopefully I can get some good recommendations. 

 

The tube amp I've had my eye on is the Icon Audio HP8 MKII, I know this is made in the UK so I have to ask has anyone paired this with the HD800? 

 

I have not personally heard the HP8 but I highly, highly trust this reviewer and I know he thinks it's an excellent match with the HD800: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/icon-audio-hp8-mk2-tube-headphone-amplifier.

 

 

post #9804 of 19527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

I know about Colorware but doing that automatically kills their warranty with Sennheiser. Coloware only offer a year warranty on those. For two years it's $299 extra.

Care to explain the paint preservation?
Not true. Senn honors their 2 year warranty on Colorware'd HD800s. Confirmed by Senn staff a couple years ago. I would link but I'm on my phone atm.

Also, Colorware's warranty is only on the paint, not the unit itself, IIRC.

Colorware paint seems to be more durable. The Senn paint can flake off according to some users. My Colorware HD800s have no paint issues after having owned them for about 2 years now.
Edited by Maxvla - 4/3/14 at 11:49am
post #9805 of 19527

Thanks for the read, I will probably end up picking up that tube amp and calling it for a decade when it comes to headphones. Hopefully one day a closed headphone will be produced that will have this type of clarity and openness. From a fundamental design standpoint it may never happen, but one can only hope. 

 

Thanks again. 

post #9806 of 19527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


Not true. Senn honors their 2 year warranty on Colorware'd HD800s. Confirmed by Senn staff a couple years ago. I would link but I'm on my phone atm.

Also, Colorware's warranty is only on the paint, not the unit itself, IIRC.

Colorware paint seems to be more durable. The Senn paint can flake off according to some users. My Colorware HD800s have no paint issues after having owned them for about 2 years now.

Hmmm I swear I remember reading back in the day that it void the warranty. I'll have to look into it.

 

Maybe buy a used one and then send it for colorware and save some cash?

post #9807 of 19527
post #9808 of 19527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey36 View Post
 

Thanks for the read, I will probably end up picking up that tube amp and calling it for a decade when it comes to headphones. Hopefully one day a closed headphone will be produced that will have this type of clarity and openness. From a fundamental design standpoint it may never happen, but one can only hope. 

 

Thanks again. 

 

No problem, remember to order the "full music" tubes, they are available from icon when you order or from the internet. It's supposed to be quite an upgrade.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

Hmmm I swear I remember reading back in the day that it void the warranty. I'll have to look into it.

 

Maybe buy a used one and then send it for colorware and save some cash?

 

I think you're worrying waaaaaaay too much about the warranty. HD800's do not break, you can drop them and at most you'll have a paint chip. They are very well engineered and manufactured.

post #9809 of 19527
Stop quoting walls of text please!

Especially when you don't have to!

smily_headphones1.gif
post #9810 of 19527

Thanks for the help guys. I just wanted to be sure about the build as this time around I'm looking for a headphone that can last me for several years (Also, my planars breaking down only made me more cautious).

 

I think I will eventually get mine colorwared. Just have to decide on the colours as well as matte vs. glossy finish.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread