or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 647

post #9691 of 24330
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 

I own a pair of HD800 that i run with a Burson Conductor and a WA2 this weekend i had a revelation. I went to the  Montreal  audio show to try all the top end HP  Abyss Stax, Audeze's ,Grado's ects,  i came out of there a changed man why you ask because i discovered audio is just hype .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I get to the Woo Audio room what do i see a pair of Abyss HP plugged into WA5 i was all excited i said to myself man this is going to be something else ,WRONG what i discovered because this was the first time i actually went to an audio show and listened to all those HP, is that audio deals in subtilitys and they are  charging thousands for it what a rip . So this system will be end game  for me i am happy to say because for thousands more those HP are simply not worth it .                                                                    

 

I would point out that the HD800 aren't exactly cheap.  It's not surprising that you didn't find another pair of headphones which blew you away. I would argue that the HD800 are one of the 5 best headphones on the planet (with Stax SR-007, SR-009, Audeze LCD-X, and HiFiman HE-6) and are the best headphones built with a dynamic driver.  I thought the blog by Tyll and it's link to The State of the Flasgship Headphones was an interesting look at the top end headphones currently on the market. There are some tracks I prefer each of the other headphones to the HD800 (and other than soundstage I prefer the SR-009 in every case to the HD800 - but at tpo high of a cost for me to justify) . Overall sounds, the HD800 are my second favorite headphones after the SR-009, and are my favorite when factoring in cost, comfort, ease of driving, etc.

 

The HD800 scales well.  I found they sound just fine from something like a DragonFly DAC into a modest amps built around the Gilmore Dynalo design, the Headamp PicoPower, M^3, Bottlehead Crack, even the Objective O2 amp.  So I am not particularly surprised tha the Conductor or the WA2 could be an end-game for you.

 

Since the HD800 scales well, my experience is that a higher quality amplifier will sound better than the more modest amplifiers, and that for me the Headamp GS-Xmk2 sounds better that every higher-quality amplifier I have heard, but it's a game of  diminishing returns.  Sounds like you have found a performance level that is good for you at a price you are comfortable paying.  That's great.  No need to continue to hunt.  Now rather than futzing with equipment you can make use of what you have, and direct your money to music (or other things in life) which is great,

 

I would note that while audio shows are useful to let you get impressions, when you are into the diminishing returns level of performance, it often takes more time, and a quieter environment to fully appreciate the differences between better quality amplifiers.  For many people, those differences might not be worth the cost difference.  For some of us, the extra performance is worth the cost and time.

 

--mark


Edited by verber - 3/30/14 at 6:18pm
post #9692 of 24330
Now what you are saying is true. There is a lot of bull in cables no doubt. But there is better and worse. Example I just a few post,s on how the hdvd800 sounds with the hd800 . It's own dac and a M7 dac. I first tried a AES cable it really was for interconnects of XlR style Balance . Well three cables they sounded horrible . I picked another and whole different sound. Now these are not dat aes cables but it did matter. I have a couple of data AES CABLES . Wow they sounded even better . So my point is there is something to it. But of course someone buys a 1500 one and I laugh. I do HT as well , but my real trade is LISC electrical contractor . Power is another story , I have not heard any improvement in power cords but plenty in power conditioning . As in ps audio power plants .
Al
post #9693 of 24330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post
 
As in ps audio power plants .
Al

+1 on the Power Plants....

post #9694 of 24330
G man. If there is a next it is the HE6. They are great as well. But not as fast but a lot more body.

Al
post #9695 of 24330
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGovernment View Post

because I like my 800s. I only said I didnt think there wasnt a big difference in amps and there is a ton of snake oil in the indrustry. So what, there is, just because people choose not to believe it, doesnt mean its not true. Then the audiofools jumped in.
To be honest, Im much more of a HT guy. Ive been building and designing home theater subs for the last 15 years. Audio break-in, superior power etc are laughable and proven to be false. Yet people will swear their headphones/speakers break in, in the seconds it takes for the speaker to loosen up, that would have been done at the factory. If companys made drivers that changed that much over time, they wouldnt be in business very long.
You have to question why break-in is always a positive thing, why "better" cables are superior in sound, expensive amps always result in better sound. etc
If an amp colors the sound enough to be vastly different than another, you have a broken amp. It should do no more than amplify the signal it recieves.

In the end, the actual headphone is what should make all the difference.

I have to admit, the headphone forums are even crazier than AVS.
I agree with you on many points, but the difference is I don't spit in people's faces.
post #9696 of 24330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


I agree with you on many points, but the difference is I don't spit in people's faces.

Sometimes, we need that to really wake up.  This society in general is becoming too politically correct, IMO.

post #9697 of 24330

Generally you want more than a 3-5 posts as a new rule to begin spitting contests. Forum etiquette and whatnot.

 

-Daniel

post #9698 of 24330

So after expanding my lossless collection even further (100gb now, I know it's not much compared to other people here), I've now decided to put the blame of the at times peaky highs on the recordings (Ed Sheeran, Genesis and some of Clapton are probably the worst). I have no problem with other music at all (I don't even have any problem with Jethro Tull).

 

I guess the headphone is not the one to put the blame on..

post #9699 of 24330
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

So after expanding my lossless collection even further (100gb now, I know it's not much compared to other people here), I've now decided to put the blame of the at times peaky highs on the recordings (Ed Sheeran, Genesis and some of Clapton are probably the worst). I have no problem with other music at all (I don't even have any problem with Jethro Tull).

 

I guess the headphone is not the one to put the blame on..

 

Sometimes it's the recording, sometimes its the equipment; IMO the HD800's are very well controlled, even more so once modified.  They are so revealing and neutral - they tell it like it is.

post #9700 of 24330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

G man. If there is a next it is the HE6. They are great as well. But not as fast but a lot more body.

Al

 

Explain not as fast.  I would like to know what music the HE-6 can't keep up on?

post #9701 of 24330
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post

I own a pair of HD800 that i run with a Burson Conductor and a WA2 this weekend i had a revelation. I went to the  Montreal  audio show to try all the top end HP  Abyss Stax, Audeze's ,Grado's ects,  i came out of there a changed man why you ask because i discovered audio is just hype .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I get to the Woo Audio room what do i see a pair of Abyss HP plugged into WA5 i was all excited i said to myself man this is going to be something else ,WRONG what i discovered because this was the first time i actually went to an audio show and listened to all those HP, is that audio deals in subtilitys and they are  charging thousands for it what a rip . So this system will be end game  for me i am happy to say because for thousands more those HP are simply not worth it .                                                                    


 



The abyss were the worst headphones I head on the Wa234. Don't judge any amp off the abyss.
post #9702 of 24330

About to pull the plug on these as I'm getting them for a decent price.

 

I've read a LOT about these, but most of my songs are either metal, melodic death metal, and rock. A lot of mixed genres and instrumentals too. But I have a sweet place in my heart for metal, how do the cans fare with them?

 

Also I won't be upgrading my components in the near future. Have an Aune T1 and a Vali, worth getting a HD800?

post #9703 of 24330
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinit90 View Post
 

About to pull the plug on these as I'm getting them for a decent price.

 

I've read a LOT about these, but most of my songs are either metal, melodic death metal, and rock. A lot of mixed genres and instrumentals too. But I have a sweet place in my heart for metal, how do the cans fare with them?

 

Also I won't be upgrading my components in the near future. Have an Aune T1 and a Vali, worth getting a HD800?

HD800's kick *** for metal.....

post #9704 of 24330
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

Explain not as fast.  I would like to know what music the HE-6 can't keep up on?

+1

post #9705 of 24330
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

HD800's kick *** for metal.....


Thank you mate,hope to be a new entrant into this world. Hard to justify the price though :|

 

any idea about source?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread