Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 624

post #9346 of 17703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

I know lol I write like a mentally imparred
But it is the truth and correct I just wish I had juicy words to use
Lmao. At least I can take the criticism

Al

I always find your post very helpful and I put a lot of trust in them, I sold my Asus Essence one. I'm leaning heavily on the Senn amps, the biggest question now is whether to go with the HDVD800 or 600.
This is going to be my end game system, I only listen to one can now the HD800, I really don't have much more time for any other headphones.

If I decided on the HDVA600 what recommendation do you have for me for a dac at say 700 to 1000 that's my max budget givin the amps expense.
post #9347 of 17703
Not saying better as in no contest . I just like the wa22 better it's a little brighter , detailed. Let's face it they are both really good tube amps . I had woos upgraded tubes and craig said the tubes in his struts were also upgraded. So I am not claiming your wrong . Now in looks I trultpy feel the wa22 is better . But i do feel the hdvd600 blows both of them away
It has details you do not know are there till you use it.
This is all opinion but a better source shows what they can be and it is key in really hearing what you were missing .

Al
post #9348 of 17703
Well,that is tough regarding the dac choice. But the amp is easy . But again this is opinion and you must like it more than me saying it's great. I a, embarrassed to tell how much I have spent to get what I like. The amp,is much easier to fine than the dac . I am not sure 1000 is end game for a dac. . You might be better getting a used hevd800 and save up for a AP1/pp. Now that is endgame for sure . As there is better but but it will be thousands more so a safe bet to stay at that level.

Al
post #9349 of 17703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Not saying better as in no contest . I just like the wa22 better it's a little brighter , detailed. Let's face it they are both really good tube amps . I had woos upgraded tubes and craig said the tubes in his struts were also upgraded. So I am not claiming your wrong . Now in looks I trultpy feel the wa22 is better . But i do feel the hdvd600 blows both of them away
It has details you do not know are there till you use it.
This is all opinion but a better source shows what they can be and it is key in really hearing what you were missing .

Al

Hold on - you put the HDVD600 in front of the WA22 and DNA! I didn't even think it was as good as my WA2 when i heard it. Maybe i need to give this HDVD600 another go. 

post #9350 of 17703
Yes I do,put it ahead of them. And when you go bring the following.
Bring music you know very well . Now this is fine but how do you know how good it really is. So now find a store that has a ultra hi end system and play your music. This alloys you to hear just how good it can be. Now you have a much better gauge as to what is better or best. Now next find the amp but listen to it on the best dac they have .
Now buy now you know how it should sound Nd have a better chance to pick the right choice. But now one more thing that most do not do. It must be on and warm to touch about 30 mins bother dac and amp. Of not it's a waist of time . The equipment we use for audio is very sensitive and must be at it's design temp to sound it's best. If is imperative. I m not a fan of burn in. But there is no doubt about warming up. My writing stinks so ask me questions and I will help .

Al
post #9351 of 17703
I think I may just go HDVD800 and then save another 1k down the road for an AP1/PP. I do not want to buy used.
post #9352 of 17703
You sound like me. No used ,hahaha

Al
post #9353 of 17703
Are there any retailers that discount Senn amps off retail pricing that you know of?
post #9354 of 17703
No I do not , I paid 2k for mine and waited about 6 months for it . Now you can get them fast .

Al
post #9355 of 17703

You should be able to negotiate. When I auditioned the HDVD800, I was given quite a good price.  But then again, I've been dealing with the  same person for over 15 years.  I did not go for the HDVD800 as I had a really hard time discerning between it and my Naim DAC-V1.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post

Are there any retailers that discount Senn amps off retail pricing that you know of?
post #9356 of 17703
Hey Mickey I see you got the Woo W6, glad to hear your digging it. Your in Toronto correct what type of discount did you see? 10, 15 20%?
post #9357 of 17703

PM'd you with location and strategy.  Yup, loving the WA6. Richer sound with the trade off of some air and detail.  Maybe the Sophia Princess will up the game. Anyway, I like the richness better than the technicalities.  Sophia on order and am going to contact Woo wrt upgrading the driver tubes.  So far, so good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
 
post #9358 of 17703
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post


Thx appreciate the help.
post #9359 of 17703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Yes I do,put it ahead of them. And when you go bring the following.
Bring music you know very well . Now this is fine but how do you know how good it really is. So now find a store that has a ultra hi end system and play your music. This alloys you to hear just how good it can be. Now you have a much better gauge as to what is better or best. Now next find the amp but listen to it on the best dac they have .
Now buy now you know how it should sound Nd have a better chance to pick the right choice. But now one more thing that most do not do. It must be on and warm to touch about 30 mins bother dac and amp. Of not it's a waist of time . The equipment we use for audio is very sensitive and must be at it's design temp to sound it's best. If is imperative. I m not a fan of burn in. But there is no doubt about warming up. My writing stinks so ask me questions and I will help .

Al

I am familiar with letting amps warm up because i have a tube amp so i have that covered and i did so when i heard the HDVD600. In fact the amp was running for about 5 hours (which was how long the meet lasted). I organised the meet and the store owner - Ivan was kind enough to give me the room to myself for 2 hours. So those are the circumstances under which i assessed the HDVD600 and HDVD800. Like i said they let me use the NAD M51 and at the time i preferred the WA2. 

 

I need to go back and spend more time listening. This time i will make sure i actually sleep the night before. Tiredness probably ruined my ability to tell the difference. Maybe i should of mentioned that. I was really busy the day before and got practically no sleep but that unfortunately could not be helped.  I will use their best speaker system also as a measure for the next time

post #9360 of 17703

^ were you using balanced or single-ended headphone cable?

When I auditioned the HDVD800, I only auditioned using the single-ended cable and I wasn't awed at all.

I really wish I can audition again running balanced cable

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread