Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 621

post #9301 of 13890
I have the alo mkii 3b. I can try it. . I also have the iBasso do ? What ever bal amp to.

Pm to try and I will ok

Al
post #9302 of 13890

Just got a new set of earpads. My old set were pretty much worn the hell out, I mean flat, just done and done. I highly recommend doing so for anyone who has worn out earpads, new set definitely helps in taming glare. Just try it, headroom sells them, I got mine from custom.cable.uk (headroom was out of stock at the time). 

post #9303 of 13890
Quote:
Originally Posted by arteom View Post
 

Just got a new set of earpads. My old set were pretty much worn the hell out, I mean flat, just done and done. I highly recommend doing so for anyone who has worn out earpads, new set definitely helps in taming glare. Just try it, headroom sells them, I got mine from custom.cable.uk (headroom was out of stock at the time). 

how much ere they?

post #9304 of 13890
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

how much ere they?

£56.71 -> http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/official-sennheiser-hd800-replacement-earpads-ear-cushions.html

 

Well worth it when you consider the mods and whatever else people will do in attempts to "tame the highs".

post #9305 of 13890
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaesar94 View Post

Preproman says the CMA800R is too smooth with HD800, and he dislike it too for this...cool.gif

WHERE IS THE TRUE? (sorry for the insistence, but i was, and still now, seriously considering to buy the CMA800R for my HD800...and after numerous very strongly positive review of CMA800R/HD800, like project86 and each other, these lastly comments made me hesitate....)

I seriously want to say if the Questyle really is the best overall choice in the 2k$ budget for HD800, and if is so far to the GS-X MKII...

Sorry again....thank you in advance...

Both could be true, the guy who wites cma800 is bright is used to tube amps, preproman might have a different perspective and also be speaking the truth.
Edited by drez - 3/17/14 at 11:00pm
post #9306 of 13890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post
 

I feel there's something about DNA's tuning or voicing that makes me feel like I'm listening to real music more than a recording and I really like that...

 

That's an insteresting sentance because that's pretty much what I've taken away from my Sonett 1 as well. It's extremely clear and free from coloration, it really doesn't sound like a tube amp. It's fun and agile and quick and with good extension both ways. But what it does is that when I'm really in the zone I forget that "I'm listening to recorded music, I'm just listening to music". If that makes any sense at all.

 

It's a subtle but pretty neat little trick when you think about it.

Thanks for your impressions! :beerchug: 


Edited by TwoEars - 3/17/14 at 11:54pm
post #9307 of 13890
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post

...

 

I suppose buying one as a stopgap before you really dump some cash on this stuff is an okay suggestion... but personally, I wouldn't expect TOOOOO much from it.

 

Thks for this feedback.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 


Pretty sure there was always an implicit "for the money" qualifier when people talked about how great the Vali/HD800 pairing was.

 

 

I've read somewhere that the Vali was the best tube amp under 1850$.  I'm not so experienced in tube amps but I can definitively find a solid state amp that does a better job to my ears with the HD800 and for far less than 1850$. :rolleyes:.  

 

 

That been said Vali + NFB12.1 did a very good combo but the NFB12.1 sounds darker than the REGA,

post #9308 of 13890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post
 

 

......

I've read somewhere that the Vali was the best tube amp under 1850$.  I'm not so experienced in tube amps but I can definitively find a solid state amp that does a better job to my ears with the HD800 and for far less than 1850$. :rolleyes:.  

 

......

 

Best tube amp under $1850? :rolleyes:

I think that is too much exaggerating.

No doubt Vali is very good value, but TO ME, it's not THAT (enter $1850) good :D

post #9309 of 13890

TwoEars, nice job on the hard wiring. There's not many that would attempt that! Looks cool. 

post #9310 of 13890
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

TwoEars, nice job on the hard wiring. There's not many that would attempt that! Looks cool. 

 

Thanks!

 

I'm really liking it !!! :smile:

 

But to have it wired like this really makes sense when you think about it.

 

The amplifier is balanced so that means that the current going through the headphone drivers are going back into the amp and then back out into the drivers again. Essentially the wiring inside the amp, the cable and the headphone driver is one big closed circuit. There is no ground that the headphone driver can see.

 

And I can bet you that the wiring inside the amp is pure copper so to then introduce another cable into this loop that is copper/silver (like the stock one) really doesn't make a lot of sense from an engineering standpoint. Why would you mix two different kinds of cables in one circuit? It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

 

To me the music just became "more musical", it's more relaxed and composed. The overall effect of the system is that it no longer feels like "digital music", it just sounds like "music". Which is very nice.

post #9311 of 13890
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post
 

 

Thanks!

 

I'm really liking it !!! :smile:

 

But to have it wired like this really makes sense when you think about it.

 

The amplifier is balanced so that means that the current going through the headphone drivers are going back into the amp and then back out into the drivers again. Essentially the wiring inside the amp, the cable and the headphone driver is one big closed circuit. There is no ground that the headphone driver can see.

 

And I can bet you that the wiring inside the amp is pure copper so to then introduce another cable into this loop that is copper/silver (like the stock one) really doesn't make a lot of sense from an engineering standpoint. Why would you mix two different kinds of cables in one circuit? It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

 

To me the music just became "more musical", it's more relaxed and composed. The overall effect of the system is that it no longer feels like "digital music", it just sounds like "music". Which is very nice.

Yup makes sense to me :) 

post #9312 of 13890
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaesar94 View Post
 

 

Preproman says the CMA800R is too smooth with HD800, and he dislike it too for this...:cool:

 

WHERE IS THE TRUE? (sorry for the insistence, but i was, and still now, seriously considering to buy the CMA800R for my HD800...and after numerous very strongly positive review of CMA800R/HD800, like project86 and each other, these lastly comments made me hesitate....)

 

I seriously want to say if the Questyle really is the best overall choice in the 2k$ budget for HD800, and if is so far to the GS-X MKII...

 

Sorry again....thank you in advance...

My recommendation -- go ahead and buy the CMA800R now and try it with your HD800.    You should be able to get it very quickly - mine only took about a week to arrive.  As good as the GS-X is, it will be a very long wait to get one (check the GS-X threads to get an idea of the turnaround time).   Here we're talking many months, not weeks or days.   I'm not saying it's not worth the wait, but seeing that you're almost ready to pull the trigger on the CMA800R, at least you will quickly have an amp you can evaluate.   If you decide that you still want to try the GS-X, you have nothing to lose (Justin only requires a 1/4 deposit to reserve one) -- you will have the very fine Questyle to listen to while waiting for the GS-X to arrive.   Keep both amps for awhile and see which one you like better.   The one thing that theoretically might argue a little more for the GS-X would be if you wish to use other headphones besides the HD800.   In skimming through the threads on the CMA800R, my impression is that this amp, being specifically designed for the HD800, may or may not sound quite as outstanding (but still good) with some other headphones.   Another amp that appears to work very well with HD800s (but not quite as good as the CMA800) and other headphones is the Auralic Taurus MkII (see review by project86).  I was considering this amp as well, but decided on the Questyle since I'm already a big fan of the HD800 and knew it would be my primary headphone.  

post #9313 of 13890
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post


Both could be true, the guy who wites cma800 is bright is used to tube amps, preproman might have a different perspective and also be speaking the truth.

I actually just recently stepped into tubes for the HD800's, and am more familiar with the SS amps out there. As mentioned, I've owned the mjolnir, phonitor and BHA-1; and the Questyle outshines them easily, it's special.

 

CMA800R is not necessarily bright, but is definitely not forgiving. I made it clear that the HD800's won't loose that energy up high with the CMA800R, as it is just being true to the source. I'll repeat it again, the issue in the whole chain is the HD800's treble, which is not much of an issue for most, and definitely liveable for me.

 

I now own the Questyle CMA800R, and will be doing the Anax mod to sort things out. And yes, it still sounds artificial in comparaison to my McIntosh; but it's the best yet in SS to my ears indeed.


Edited by dleblanc343 - 3/18/14 at 10:07pm
post #9314 of 13890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I actually just recently stepped into tubes for the HD800's, and am more familiar with the SS amps out there. As mentioned, I've owned the mjolnir, phonitor and BHA-1; and the Questyle outshines them easily, it's special.

CMA800R is not necessarily bright, but is definitely not forgiving. I made it clear that the HD800's won't loose that energy up high with the CMA800R, as it is just being true to the source. I'll repeat it again, the issue in the whole chain is the HD800's treble, which is not much of an issue for most, and definitely liveable for me.

I now own the Questyle CMA800R, and will be doing the Anax mod to sort things out. And yes, it still sounds artificial in comparaison to my McIntosh; but it's the best yet in SS to my ears indeed.

My bad didnt mean to speak for you, nice of you to clarify.
post #9315 of 13890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post
 

I actually just recently stepped into tubes for the HD800's, and am more familiar with the SS amps out there. As mentioned, I've owned the mjolnir, phonitor and BHA-1; and the Questyle outshines them easily, it's special.

 

CMA800R is not necessarily bright, but is definitely not forgiving. I made it clear that the HD800's won't loose that energy up high with the CMA800R, as it is just being true to the source. I'll repeat it again, the issue in the whole chain is the HD800's treble, which is not much of an issue for most, and definitely liveable for me.

 

I now own the Questyle CMA800R, and will be doing the Anax mod to sort things out. And yes, it still sounds artificial in comparaison to my McIntosh; but it's the best yet in SS to my ears indeed.


You plan on getting a second one anytime soon? Or just your store getting a second one. Not many reviews out there to tell how much a difference going balanced makes for HD800 and this amp vs. SE. Curious to know if it's worth it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread