Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 61

post #901 of 25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Im not interested in tube rolling in the least. So the Decware sounds good "out of the box?"

 

Are modern tubes reliable? I can remember trips to Radio Shack back in the day to replace burned out tubes in my Heathkit.

 

Are tubes consistentt from a production variation standpoint? If I get a Decware, will it sound the same as yours?

You don't need to roll. It sounds great with the stock tubes. When I was at Decware last week and asked Steve how long his tubes were lasting he said 2-5 years with them on most of the time. Plus, since you can get 6N1P's for about $8 and 5Y3G or 5U4G's for $10-$15 it is not a big deal replacing them. I would be surprised if we were not hearing the same sound using the same tubes.

post #902 of 25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Im not interested in tube rolling in the least. So the Decware sounds good "out of the box?"

 

Are modern tubes reliable? I can remember trips to Radio Shack back in the day to replace burned out tubes in my Heathkit.

 

Are tubes consistentt from a production variation standpoint? If I get a Devware, will it sound the same as yours?

The tubes Steve ship with them are russian tubes and they are reliable. he was using the Chinese rectifier not sure what he using now but I think upgrading them is what makes the amp really special. There are plenty of vendors to get reliable tubes that will be very reliable. i have bought Bugle Boys from Chris Johnson at Parts Connection Genelex 6922 from Jim McSsane and bought rectifiers on ebay all without any issues. i think if you buy reliable you get great tubes and the amp steps up in sound quality.  The 6n1p he ship with are decent tubes but they are not the genelex 6922 nor the Bugle Boys and I have others also so I can tune the sound and change the signature form time to time. The Decware with stock tubes is not as refined as the tubes I am using. the transparency and sound is a big step up IMO. 

post #903 of 25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

The tubes Steve ship with them are russian tubes and they are reliable. he was using the Chinese rectifier not sure what he using now but I think upgrading them is what makes the amp really special. There are plenty of vendors to get reliable tubes that will be very reliable. i have bought Bugle Boys from Chris Johnson at Parts Connection Genelex 6922 from Jim McSsane and bought rectifiers on ebay all without any issues. i think if you buy reliable you get great tubes and the amp steps up in sound quality.  The 6n1p he ship with are decent tubes but they are not the genelex 6922 nor the Bugle Boys and I have others also so I can tune the sound and change the signature form time to time. The Decware with stock tubes is not as refined as the tubes I am using. the transparency and sound is a big step up IMO. 

 

And that's exactly NOT what I want to hear...

 

"The SUX4000 is a great amp but it sounds even better with if you put zebrawood rings over the tubes and place it inside a 13.5" high magnesium pyramid tube frame...on Tuesdays and the first 3 days of the waning moon. During a waxing moon, replace the pyramid with a beachball surrounded by chicken wire and burn incense..." wink.gif

post #904 of 25537

ROFL 

 

So Cherry or Maple?

post #905 of 25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

 

And that's exactly NOT what I want to hear...

 

"The SUX4000 is a great amp but it sounds even better with if you put zebrawood rings over the tubes and place it inside a 13.5" high magnesium pyramid tube frame...on Tuesdays and the first 3 days of the waning moon. During a waxing moon, replace the pyramid with a beachball surrounded by chicken wire and burn incense..." wink.gif

LOL well I can lie to you if you preferL3000.gif but I am being totally honest. Better tubes than the stock make a big differenc ein sound quality IMO. You can stay stick if you want but I even switched the driver in the Taboo and noticed a big jump in sound from one tube swap. Ask others and get more opinions. the beauty of a 6922 amp there is so many great NOS tubes available that sound very different and very musical compared to the stock.. But yiou can do what makes you happy dude its your call. I told you my honest opinion and I don't use other stuff on my tubes. Or maybe you should just stay away from tube ampsbiggrin.gif

post #906 of 25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

I thought the CSP2+ was rather 'solid state' in it's presentation. Clean and clear, not really tubey at all.

Agreed. IMO, most SS amps best it. It doesn't really have the macro detailing other tube amps offer.

 

Still a really nice amp at its price though.

post #907 of 25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

LOL well I can lie to you if you preferL3000.gif but I am being totally honest. Better tubes than the stock make a big differenc ein sound quality IMO. You can stay stick if you want but I even switched the driver in the Taboo and noticed a big jump in sound from one tube swap. Ask others and get more opinions. the beauty of a 6922 amp there is so many great NOS tubes available that sound very different and very musical compared to the stock.. But yiou can do what makes you happy dude its your call. I told you my honest opinion and I don't use other stuff on my tubes. Or maybe you should just stay away from tube ampsbiggrin.gif


Don't get me wrong Frank, I wasn't putting you down. I understand the fun and challenge of tuning gear to make it better and make it yours. I just don't want to do it with audio gear, that's all.

post #908 of 25537

No mystery there.  Tube amp with little to no feedback means tube rolling gives wildly different results.  The problem is its an expensive game if you want the 'best' tubes.  I remember looking at the Mullard for my Peak and just shaking my head.  You want how much? ;)  You can easily have $600 of tubes in the CSP2 and man you better love it or you'll be looking for another $600 load out :O  I loved the EML 5U4G in my WA22 but bend over cause it stings.  Even for my Peak I was in for ~$500 in just rolled tubes and that only has the one 6SN7!  Tubes are awesome but also too easy to get carried away wanting to try this and that.  It's why I never pulled the trigger on a 2A3 or 300B amp ;)

post #909 of 25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post


Don't get me wrong Frank, I wasn't putting you down. I understand the fun and challenge of tuning gear to make it better and make it yours. I just don't want to do it with audio gear, that's all.

You asked if stock would sound the same as mine and I was honest No it wont it will sound good you will like it and be happy but it can get better if you want it to. You can stay stock and be happy for 3-5yrs before replacing the tubes. But if you dont want to replace tubes then solid state  may beyour ticket and the V200 is synergistic with the HD800 just not as good as my tube amp. I use both but the decware gets the bulk of my time with the hd800

post #910 of 25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

No mystery there.  Tube amp with little to no feedback means tube rolling gives wildly different results.  The problem is its an expensive game if you want the 'best' tubes.  I remember looking at the Mullard for my Peak and just shaking my head.  You want how much? ;)  You can easily have $600 of tubes in the CSP2 and man you better love it or you'll be looking for another $600 load out :O  I loved the EML 5U4G in my WA22 but bend over cause it stings.  Even for my Peak I was in for ~$500 in just rolled tubes and that only has the one 6SN7!  Tubes are awesome but also too easy to get carried away wanting to try this and that.  It's why I never pulled the trigger on a 2A3 or 300B amp ;)

I paid 150.00 for three hand selected Bugle Boy tubes for the csp2 and 20.00 for the Sylvania rectifier so for 170.00 I am convinced its as good as it get for ME in my system. i have never paid 600.00 for any tubes in this amp . What was the one tube in your Peak for 500.00 lined with goldbiggrin.gif. The bigle biys were hand selected by Chris Johnson at parts Connexion  for low noise and matched accordingly.


Edited by Frank I - 3/13/13 at 8:13pm
post #911 of 25537

Again Frank, if I offended you, please accept my apology. I was not disparaging you or your love of experimenting with tube equipment.

 

I was simply expressing (satirically) that I do not want to venture forth on yet another audio quest.


Edited by palmfish - 3/13/13 at 8:19pm
post #912 of 25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Again Frank, if I offended you, please accept my apology. I was not disparaging you or your love of experimenting with tube equipment.

 

I was simply expressing (satirically) that I do not want to venture forth on yet another audio quest.

no offense was taken dude. i am just trying to tell you the truth. Like I said you can be happy with stock tubes but the quest does not have to be taken unless you want better sound. That was my pint. You asked if stock would sound like my amp and I was just being honest. I did not get offended though. It been a pleasant discussion so no prob;lens on my end. Please do not think I was offended. If you buy the CSP2 you will like the sound on the hd800. If you prefer solid state consider the V200

post #913 of 25537

I apprecite your input and advice Frank. It has been helpful and informative to me. Thanks. smile.gif

post #914 of 25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

...if I get the CSP2+ with the HD800 are the HE500 even needed any more...blink.gif???

 

Nope.

post #915 of 25537

(said with a twinge of silly) tongue.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread