or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 579

post #8671 of 24348

Thank you all for your replies and recommendations, I appreciate them.

post #8672 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by illyria View Post

 

I am contemplating the purchase in the next month or two, but I don't think I can justify spending more than an additional $500-700 on a DAC/amp combo on top of the HD800.  Are there any setups that would do the headphones justice in that price range, or would it be better to hold off until my budget increases a bit more?

 

 

If tube amps are of any interest to you, another excellent budget hd800 rig in your price range would be a bottlehead crack amp, with speedball, fed by either a y2 (gamma2) or odac.  

 

[For reference, the crack is a totally beginner friendly, paint by numbers style, diy kit that also pops up frequently (prebuilt) in the FS forums.  Assuming you are a first time builder, a five minute youtube clip on how to solder will teach you everything you need to know outside of the step by step instructions provided by bottlehead.  It is a reasonably simple and wonderfully satisfying project, and the resulting amp is a total gem that pairs beautifully with high impedance headphones.] 

post #8673 of 24348

Nice new Final Fantasy song with the HD800 :cool:

 

post #8674 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


I don't agree. It's clearly an upgrade, but at substantial cost. With Ragnarok imminent, the prudent choice is to wait and see what it can do first.
HD800 DAC around $1000? X-Sabre, easy answer. Practically made for each other.

 

I found the BHA-1 to be a much better amp for the HD800 than the MJ. I owned them both at the same time-and it was clear with numerous dacs that the Bryston simply paired better. I never got over the MJ's harsh highs with the Senns, but I loved the mids for sure. OTOH-the Bryston had a much better (3D) soundstage, was less aggressive, had less bothersome highs (lol), and overall sounded more 'musical' to my ears. The MJ was definitely great for the price-but in the end I sold it quick because it simply didn't gel with the HD800 imo, whereas the Bryston was perhaps my favorite ss amp with the Senns. I do feel like they are both in that same middle-tier of amps though overall with the Sens-would be better to stick with a Vali or m-Stage til you can afford to jump up to a higher end tube amp imo. My .02.

 

-Daniel

 

-Daniel

post #8675 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post
 

 

I found the BHA-1 to be a much better amp for the HD800 than the MJ. I owned them both at the same time-and it was clear with numerous dacs that the Bryston simply paired better. I never got over the MJ's harsh highs with the Senns, but I loved the mids for sure. OTOH-the Bryston had a much better (3D) soundstage, was less aggressive, had less bothersome highs (lol), and overall sounded more 'musical' to my ears. The MJ was definitely great for the price-but in the end I sold it quick because it simply didn't gel with the HD800 imo, whereas the Bryston was perhaps my favorite ss amp with the Senns. I do feel like they are both in that same middle-tier of amps though overall with the Sens-would be better to stick with a Vali or m-Stage til you can afford to jump up to a higher end tube amp imo. My .02.

 

-Daniel

 

-Daniel

 

Does the WA2 classified as one of those higher end tube amp?

post #8676 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

 

Does the WA2 classified as one of those higher end tube amp?


Definitely.

post #8677 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post


Definitely.
Not.
post #8678 of 24348
If my WA5LE/HD800 experience was any indicator I'd say no. wink.gif Some here really love the WA2/HD800 combo though, and personally I always wanted to hear one.

-Daniel
Edited by BournePerfect - 2/26/14 at 10:01pm
post #8679 of 24348

Do you guys know of any US dealers that sell replacement earpads for the hd-800? Headroom is out of stock.

post #8680 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

 

Does the WA2 classified as one of those higher end tube amp?

I think they're talking about the likes of ZDSE or Stratus 2A3.

post #8681 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

I think they're talking about the likes of ZDSE or Stratus 2A3.

Yep-probably the baseline for high end HD800 tube amping imo. Others would say the S7 is there too. Stratus owners definitely seem to love those amps.

-Daniel
post #8682 of 24348

The WA2 is lush/romantic.

 

It's perfect (and could be end game material) for the HD800 if that's the kind of sound you're looking for.

 

Many other amps are considered "better" though, as usual it's a matter of taste.

 

Feel free to point out another amp that beats the WA2 for being lush/romantic together with HD800.


Edited by TwoEars - 2/26/14 at 10:13pm
post #8683 of 24348

Speaking of high end tube amps, is the cheapest one that qualifies as such for the HD800 the EC Super 7 at $1650?

 

Edit:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post


Yep-probably the baseline for high end HD800 tube amping imo. Others would say the S7 is there too. Stratus owners definitely seem to love those amps.

-Daniel


Gotcha. I'll get to hear one at a meet in April. :o I'll see how it compares with both my Bottlehead setup and the Questyle CMA800R I have coming in.


Edited by Sonido - 2/26/14 at 10:10pm
post #8684 of 24348
There are probably others, but that is likely the most well known at the entry point to high end. I'd guess Glenn could build an amp with capabilities like that for less, but I'm not all that familiar with his pricing. I just know his work is great.
post #8685 of 24348
Quote:
Originally Posted by arteom View Post

Do you guys know of any US dealers that sell replacement earpads for the hd-800? Headroom is out of stock.
I thought pads on the HD 800 we're not user serviceable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread