or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 578

post #8656 of 24371

i'm chomping at the bit to get a proper amp something serious.  but i now have reason now to try to kill 2 birds with one stone as my integragted amp just died.

I think I want to get something that can serve both purpose of serious headphone and speaker amp.

 

Im realy waiting now on this new Schiit Ragnarok coming out as its 100/w channel, i know the prototype is floating around at shows but wonder when it actually hits the markets.  

 

Is there anything else considering that is killer in both applications? 


Edited by eantala - 2/26/14 at 6:51am
post #8657 of 24371

Hi

Many on these pages seem to like having the endorsement of a 'Headphone Supremus'  (or some other grand title) when deciding on the product of choice. So, possibly none better than Jude's endorsement of the Senns HDVD800?? I had one,did everything right except no 'X' factor for me.That something, that's almost  unexplainable to define? I wanted to keep the Senns HD800 for it's qualities with Classical music-so I took the advice of many on these pages and bought the Woo WA22 and maxxed out with some good old NOS British tubes.I now have something which gets close to the original,having attended many live Classical Concerts, which is all you can ask of any audio gear! Other tube Amps may well give a similar presentation  but here in the UK it's very difficult to audition all that's available and certainly A/B tests almost impossible.I've not yet heard an electrostats system that gets close!! Try also looking at the Entreq Grounding products-can make a difference with any system??

post #8658 of 24371
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post


 

So is it the general consensus that Bryston BHA-1 is a solid amp for the HD800? I'm thinking of replacing my Mjolnir, but not sure if it's worth the investment,






That would be a side grade in performance and an upgrade in cost.
I don't agree. It's clearly an upgrade, but at substantial cost. With Ragnarok imminent, the prudent choice is to wait and see what it can do first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post

1000ish. I'm thinking of selling my HE500 and Uber-bifrost to finance the upgrade, though I'm debating whether or not I really want to sell the HE500 at this point. It still holds it's own against the HD800, given the right genres. What the HD800 excels at though, leaves the HE500 in the dust.
HD800 DAC around $1000? X-Sabre, easy answer. Practically made for each other.
post #8659 of 24371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

HD800 DAC around $1000? X-Sabre, easy answer. Practically made for each other.

 

+1

post #8660 of 24371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


I don't agree. It's clearly an upgrade, but at substantial cost. With Ragnarok imminent, the prudent choice is to wait and see what it can do first.
 

 

I stand my experience.  For the cost it's not an upgrade at all.  Both amps share similar qualities IMO both are on the top side on neutral.  you would have to listen long and hard to find the differences between them. (with a good DAC).  Some ever prefer the Mjolnir over the BHA-1.  I don't - as I like the bass response over the the BHA-1 has over the Mjolnir - but not for the price difference.

post #8661 of 24371
OK then state it in a more clear way. You said it wasn't an upgrade period. What you mean is it isn't an upgrade for the cost difference.
post #8662 of 24371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

OK then state it in a more clear way. You said it wasn't an upgrade period. What you mean is it isn't an upgrade for the cost difference.

Ha ha ha... You win

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

I stand my experience.  For the cost it's not an upgrade at all.  Both amps share similar qualities IMO both are on the top side on neutral.  you would have to listen long and hard to find the differences between them. (with a good DAC).  Some ever prefer the Mjolnir over the BHA-1.  I don't - as I like the bass response over the the BHA-1 has over the Mjolnir - but not for the price difference.

 

However -- Not really an upgrade..  As stated in bold.


Edited by preproman - 2/26/14 at 9:42am
post #8663 of 24371
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

I stand my experience.  For the cost it's not an upgrade at all.  Both amps share similar qualities IMO both are on the top side on neutral.  you would have to listen long and hard to find the differences between them. (with a good DAC).  Some ever prefer the Mjolnir over the BHA-1.  I don't - as I like the bass response over the the BHA-1 has over the Mjolnir - but not for the price difference.

I pretty much agree. I'll take the Mojo bass and BHA-1's treble. But the differences aren't stark enough to be an upgrade one way or the other.

post #8664 of 24371

I am honestly considering getting a dedicated amp for my headphone once I have saved up enough money.
(currently 95% of all my paycheck goes to support my sister and my mother's living expenses.)

so, let me just make clear of this,
BHA-a and Mjolnir are on the same level in terms of build quality and neutral, how ever, they have a slight difference in, dare I say it, coloration.
BHA-1 has better controled bass and high, while a Mjolnir is slightly warmer, is that correct?

post #8665 of 24371
I'll agree to that.
post #8666 of 24371

I purchased myself a pair of Beyer DT-880 headphones and a FiiO E07/E09 combo as my introduction to post-$40 headphones as a gift to myself, and I have been loving them; however, I was visiting my friend and she allowed me try her HD800 headphones and I fell in love with them.

 

I am contemplating the purchase in the next month or two, but I don't think I can justify spending more than an additional $500-700 on a DAC/amp combo on top of the HD800.  Are there any setups that would do the headphones justice in that price range, or would it be better to hold off until my budget increases a bit more?

 

 

Thank you.

post #8667 of 24371
Quote:
Originally Posted by illyria View Post
 

I purchased myself a pair of Beyer DT-880 headphones and a FiiO E07/E09 combo as my introduction to post-$40 headphones as a gift to myself, and I have been loving them; however, I was visiting my friend and she allowed me try her HD800 headphones and I fell in love with them.

 

I am contemplating the purchase in the next month or two, but I don't think I can justify spending more than an additional $500-700 on a DAC/amp combo on top of the HD800.  Are there any setups that would do the headphones justice in that price range, or would it be better to hold off until my budget increases a bit more?

 

 

Thank you.

 

I believe Matrix M-Stage HPA-2 with DAC is recommendable, I am yet to hear it in person though.

 

edit: you may want to check out this review of M-Stage HPA-2 with HD800 by Maxvla http://www.head-fi.org/products/matrix-m-stage-hpa-2-w-usb-dac/reviews/10470


Edited by 62ohm - 2/26/14 at 2:11pm
post #8668 of 24371
Quote:
Originally Posted by illyria View Post
 

I purchased myself a pair of Beyer DT-880 headphones and a FiiO E07/E09 combo as my introduction to post-$40 headphones as a gift to myself, and I have been loving them; however, I was visiting my friend and she allowed me try her HD800 headphones and I fell in love with them.

 

I am contemplating the purchase in the next month or two, but I don't think I can justify spending more than an additional $500-700 on a DAC/amp combo on top of the HD800.  Are there any setups that would do the headphones justice in that price range, or would it be better to hold off until my budget increases a bit more?

 

 

Thank you.


I am more music-savvy than tech-savvy, but I often see the advice, concerning the HD800s, 'get the headphones, then gradually up the other kit that you need'. I think that I would agree with that. The HD800s repay the right partner equipment, but, IMHO, they always give you that taste of the high end on what you have. I am listening, as I type, to Hindemith coming from an Oppo 103 through a coaxial connection to a Gungnir and then to a Lyr with Siemens E88CC tubes. All the boxes have PowerKord 300 mains cables and similar quality internconnect, and I am quite sure that I could do better, but the HD800s are singing just beautifully. Buy them and be sure that they will reward your careful system matching as funds become available.

post #8669 of 24371


There here can't wait to listen to them, but first give them a couple of days of break in, before I return with my impressions.
post #8670 of 24371
Quote:
Originally Posted by illyria View Post
 

I purchased myself a pair of Beyer DT-880 headphones and a FiiO E07/E09 combo as my introduction to post-$40 headphones as a gift to myself, and I have been loving them; however, I was visiting my friend and she allowed me try her HD800 headphones and I fell in love with them.

 

I am contemplating the purchase in the next month or two, but I don't think I can justify spending more than an additional $500-700 on a DAC/amp combo on top of the HD800.  Are there any setups that would do the headphones justice in that price range, or would it be better to hold off until my budget increases a bit more?

 

 

Thank you.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

 

I believe Matrix M-Stage HPA-2 with DAC is recommendable, I am yet to hear it in person though.

 

edit: you may want to check out this review of M-Stage HPA-2 with HD800 by Maxvla http://www.head-fi.org/products/matrix-m-stage-hpa-2-w-usb-dac/reviews/10470


Another choice could be the Schiit uber-bifrost and the Schiit Vali which I find does a respectable job with the HD800. YMMV

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread