or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 571

post #8551 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

The only thing left in this hobby to improve on is transducers and they are pretty much nailed. Most well built Amps and dacs are as good as our ears/ transducer need to reproduce the recorded sound accurately.


Agreed. Provided there is enough power to drive your headphones it's important to get the headphones right
post #8552 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


Really? I've never seen it mentioned as even a good combo. From the start it was aimed at orthos. Look at the first thread it specifically talks up it's 6W of power. Sounds like an amp designed for HE-6.

 

While I was googling for a cheap amp for the HD800, the Lyr often came out as the answer, be it from reviews or old Head-Fi thread.

post #8553 of 24367
The Lyr has never been lauded as an HD800 amp.

Those on a budget should really just go the Vali or M-Stage. These affordable components have been endorsed by many experienced HD800 owners. Save your pennies for a better source and then an amp down the track that can really make the HD800 sing.
post #8554 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

 

While I was googling for a cheap amp for the HD800, the Lyr often came out as the answer, be it from reviews or old Head-Fi thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

The Lyr has never been lauded as an HD800 amp.

Those on a budget should really just go the Vali or M-Stage. These affordable components have been endorsed by many experienced HD800 owners. Save your pennies for a better source and then an amp down the track that can really make the HD800 sing.
 

One of the nice things about this forum is how simply it is to search the archives. What I found, particularly in the original appreciation and review threads, was a consistent message from select users being critical of the Lyr when paired with the HD 800. What I also found was a decent amount of members also saying it worked well. Maybe not the drop-dead best, but from from the picture of it being painted as bad. It seems like it is also echoed in the Lyr specific threads and reviews.

 

Now all this tells me is personal preference is everything. That being the case and since I do already have a Lyr, I wont be grabbing something new until I've heard it myself. If I was in a place where I didn't have anything at all, that would be a different story, but that's not the situation I'm in. Bottom line is it sounds like it's far from the horror it's being made out to be, so try it yourself and identify your own truths.

post #8555 of 24367
Don't think anyone's made it out to be a horror, just that there are better alternatives if HD800 is your intended combo.
post #8556 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Don't think anyone's made it out to be a horror, just that there are better alternatives if HD800 is your intended combo.

Gotcha. Well I suppose that's just how I perceived it, then.

post #8557 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

The Lyr has never been lauded as an HD800 amp.



Those on a budget should really just go the Vali or M-Stage. These affordable components have been endorsed by many experienced HD800 owners. Save your pennies for a better source and then an amp down the track that can really make the HD800 sing.

 



I know a guy with the HD800 and EC Balancing Act that says the vali is his preferred entry level amp... he says that judging by how it sounds it would be a good value at $500!
Edited by TwoEars - 2/22/14 at 9:58pm
post #8558 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
 

One of the nice things about this forum is how simply it is to search the archives. What I found, particularly in the original appreciation and review threads, was a consistent message from select users being critical of the Lyr when paired with the HD 800. What I also found was a decent amount of members also saying it worked well. Maybe not the drop-dead best, but from from the picture of it being painted as bad. It seems like it is also echoed in the Lyr specific threads and reviews.

 

Now all this tells me is personal preference is everything. That being the case and since I do already have a Lyr, I wont be grabbing something new until I've heard it myself. If I was in a place where I didn't have anything at all, that would be a different story, but that's not the situation I'm in. Bottom line is it sounds like it's far from the horror it's being made out to be, so try it yourself and identify your own truths.

 

Point of reference is critical in this hobby-especially in regards to newbs and Schiitheads.

 

-Daniel

post #8559 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

 

Point of reference is critical in this hobby-especially in regards to newbs and Schiitheads.

 

-Daniel

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/advanced/?search=

post #8560 of 24367

Meaning: reference points of other Headfier's gear/experience etc when to help take their opinions in context.

 

-Tari>Chuck Norris

post #8561 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

I will try this today and post my opinion.

Al

:popcorn:

post #8562 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post
 

So what would the general expectations/guidelines be for a system percentage wise.. just as a starting point, one example given in the Complete Guide to High end Audio is:

- Pre/Power Amp $4000

- Digital Source $1300

- Loudspeakers $4000

- Interconnects / Cables $700

Total Cost $10K

 

Translate that to HeadFi & HD800:

- DAC - $487 (13%)

- AMP - $1500 (40%)

- HD800 - $1500 (40%)

- Cables - $263 (7%)

Total Cost $3750

 

   I  am honestly shocked that power conditioner was not in the list.

post #8563 of 24367

So I bought my own HD 800 too. :-)
Here is my graph:


 

Now I am playing it with AK100 + DIY headphone amp.

I will buy more sophiticated DAC + AMP soon. But what? 
1000 USD max...

YULONG AUDIO SABRE DA8 seems not bad!


Edited by NuClear235 - 2/23/14 at 10:55am
post #8564 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuClear235 View Post

So I bought my own HD 800 too. :-)

Here is my graph:







 



Now I am playing it with AK100 + DIY headphone amp.



I will buy more sophiticated DAC + AMP soon. But what? 

1000 USD max...



YULONG AUDIO SABRE DA8 seem not bad!


 



Congrats!

But I don't recommend the sabre dac with the HD800's unless you know what you're doing.
post #8565 of 24367
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuClear235 View Post
 

So I bought my own HD 800 too. :-)
Here is my graph:


...

 

Now I am playing it with AK100 + DIY headphone amp.

I will buy more sophiticated DAC + AMP soon. But what? 
1000 USD max...

YULONG AUDIO SABRE DA8 seem not bad!

 

I've auditioned HD800 with Yulong DA8 before....

It's a good combo, but most of the songs that I listened to during the audition were DSD files.

However, with some badly recorded/mastered songs, it was just unbearable....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread