Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 559

post #8371 of 17707

The WA3 is not bad too to drive HD800. IMO its not inferior to the WA6, simply different flavor with one being more clear, detailed and a bit more analytical while the other being more laidback and lusher.

post #8372 of 17707

I've read the same before.  My problem is that I'm also looking for a "look" since I'm at my desk so much.  The WA6/WA7/WA2 would look so awesome next to the Naim.  So would the V200 but I want tubes again.  So, between the WA6 and WA7 it will probably be the WA6 with the Sophia Princess.  

There's a Toronto meet next month so hopefully I'll be able to try a few more amps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by punit View Post

The WA6 is good with the right tubes, but the Bhld Crack is better IMHO
post #8373 of 17707
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

I've read the same before.  My problem is that I'm also looking for a "look" since I'm at my desk so much.  The WA6/WA7/WA2 would look so awesome next to the Naim.  So would the V200 but I want tubes again.  So, between the WA6 and WA7 it will probably be the WA6 with the Sophia Princess.  

There's a Toronto meet next month so hopefully I'll be able to try a few more amps.

 

Same here lol. If I can overlook the "look" of the amp, I may end up with the GSP Solo SRG-II or Ultra Linear DE instead of WA3. But the Graham looks very understated and unfortunately things like that do get into my way...

post #8374 of 17707
Quote:
Originally Posted by frix View Post
 

I EQ them with equalizer apo, which is a system wide parametric EQ.

I basically boosted the sub bass by 6dB without affecting mid and upper bass much.

 

Also I reduced a peak at 5300hz by 5db and a peak at 7300hz by 6db.

 

On some records it's hardly noticeable,

on other records it significantly helps to reduce harshness.

 

I prefer this method over buying colored amps.

Great tip for anyone running their HD800 off a PC rig. I myself like the default mids & treble on the HD800, it has become a sound signature for me that no other HPs have. A little bump on the low end is all the HD800 needed for me. Sounds so much meatier & fuller now. Love it! Thanks. 

 

I have been listening to some lossless tracks of Lindsey Stirling with the Apo adjustment. :gs1000smile: She is such a talented violinist! So good!!! 

 

 

post #8375 of 17707

Can't tell you how many times I've listened to her CD and watched her videos.  Awesome on the HD800! Have tickets to see her live when she's here in Toronto on June 14.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swolern View Post

I have been listening to some lossless tracks of Lindsey Stirling with the Apo adjustment. :gs1000smile: She is such a talented violinist! So good!!! 

 

 

 

post #8376 of 17707
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

I used the WA6 HD800 combo for a few months waiting for my BHA-1 to arrive and it was somewhat lifeless and boring. Lacked sparkle even with the Sophia 274b. It was a relief when the BHA-1 finally came.
post #8377 of 17707

Cr@p. :blink: I can audition the BHA-1 at the same place I got my Naim.. might do so though everything I've read indicated that the BHA-1 is on the bright side. Arrrrrgh.. just want to get a decent amp and be done with it.​ Maybe I'll wait a while and just get the WA2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


I used the WA6 HD800 combo for a few months waiting for my BHA-1 to arrive and it was somewhat lifeless and boring. Lacked sparkle even with the Sophia 274b. It was a relief when the BHA-1 finally came.
post #8378 of 17707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


I used the WA6 HD800 combo for a few months waiting for my BHA-1 to arrive and it was somewhat lifeless and boring. Lacked sparkle even with the Sophia 274b. It was a relief when the BHA-1 finally came.

 

How does the M-Stage compares to the BHA-1 with HD800? I've also heard the same thing as MickeyVee that BHA-1 is more on the bright side, can you verify this?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post
 

 

Yes mate, go for the WA2! Though one of the reason for me to go for the WA2 is because it uses the same drive tube as the WA3, makes things simpler.

post #8379 of 17707
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

 

How does the M-Stage compares to the BHA-1 with HD800? I've also heard the same thing as MickeyVee that BHA-1 is more on the bright side, can you verify this?

 

 

Yes mate, go for the WA2! Though one of the reason for me to go for the WA2 is because it uses the same drive tube as the WA3, makes things simpler.

I can confirn WA2/HD800 i have that combo and it sounds great. I also have T1 but prefer the HD800/WA2 combo. 

post #8380 of 17707

I'm enjoying the WA7/HD800 combo with EH tubes.

 

post #8381 of 17707
Nice setup. Do you have any other DAC. To try with the WA7 ?

Al
post #8382 of 17707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Nice setup. Do you have any other DAC. To try with the WA7 ?

Al

Unfortunately, only the FiiO E17.  I'm fairly content with the DAC for the time being and would only upgrade after listening in person to higher end DACs.  I'm tempted to get the Schiit Bifrost..

post #8383 of 17707
Good idea to listen first. I had that setup sounds good with those cans. In fact that setup sounded great with every can or iem I had. . Try to get a mini meet with other people .

Al
post #8384 of 17707
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumraresteak View Post

Unfortunately, only the FiiO E17.  I'm fairly content with the DAC for the time being and would only upgrade after listening in person to higher end DACs.  I'm tempted to get the Schiit Bifrost..

I'm also content with the built-in DAC inside WA7. But I'm also thinking of DSD-capable DAC once I starts collecting DSD music or converting my SACD biggrin.gif
post #8385 of 17707
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post

How does the M-Stage compares to the BHA-1 with HD800? I've also heard the same thing as MickeyVee that BHA-1 is more on the bright side, can you verify this?
BHA-1 is slightly brighter, but with better control and better soundstage. The M-Stage is warmer than neutral but not significantly so, highs are detailed but can be a little shimmery, certainly forgivable given it's price. The GS-X incoming is sort of meeting these in the middle, so not warm or bright, a bit more relaxed than the BHA-1, but not as relaxed as the M-Stage all the while the most natural and detailed I've ever heard the HD800s. (I did audition before ordering)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread