Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 521

post #7801 of 18354

To all fellow HD800 owners, I have a confession to make.  My component chain is the same but whatever has happened within the last 4 days, the low end on my HD800 has gone up a notch.  I don't personally believe in break in but at this point, I am becoming more and more hesitant to say that the HD800 doesn't kick as hard as my HE500 in the lows.  :p

post #7802 of 18354
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

To all fellow HD800 owners, I have a confession to make.  My component chain is the same but whatever has happened within the last 4 days, the low end on my HD800 has gone up a notch.  I don't personally believe in break in but at this point, I am becoming more and more hesitant to say that the HD800 doesn't kick as hard as my HE500 in the lows.  tongue.gif
Sounds like brain burn in to me. It goes both Ways though. I go through phases with the 800s , sometimes I find them to have perfect bass, sometimes too little and sometimes they seem a little muddy down low. Depends what mood I'm in or what I've been doing leading up to having a listen. It's not so bad on other headphones or speakers, their colour always comes through because it's more pronounced.
post #7803 of 18354
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post


Sounds like brain burn in to me. It goes both Ways though. I go through phases with the 800s , sometimes I find them to have perfect bass, sometimes too little and sometimes they seem a little muddy down low. Depends what mood I'm in or what I've been doing leading up to having a listen. It's not so bad on other headphones or speakers, their colour always comes through because it's more pronounced.


Not sure what it is but 3 nites ago, i started listening to my favorite albums on the HD800 and instantly recognized the change in the lows.  Immediately, I switched over to HE500/Emo to compare and did confirm the clear increase of bass on the HD800/WA22.  Whatever happened!  I like it. 

post #7804 of 18354
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 


Not sure what it is but 3 nites ago, i started listening to my favorite albums on the HD800 and instantly recognized the change in the lows.  Immediately, I switched over to HE500/Emo to compare and did confirm the clear increase of bass on the HD800/WA22.  Whatever happened!  I like it. 

I believe in you! :beerchug:

post #7805 of 18354
Quote:
Originally Posted by willjbryan View Post

I disagree with the view that the shrill treble on the HD800s is a product of the recordings that are fed into it, for two reasons.

First, my speakers have a flat frequency response curve. When I listen to most recordings on them, it sounds like live music. Less so the HD800, unless I EQ it to reduce the treble.

Second, if you compare the frequency response curve for the HD600 vs the HD800, you'll see that the latter is much louder through the mid-treble frequencies. My experience with the HD600, as well as every review of it I've read, is that it's extremely neutral, albeit somewhat lacking in speed and detail. I have a hard time believing that the HD800 is curing a defect of the HD600 in this respect. In any case, my ears side with the HD600 response, and even more with the HD800 tuned to match its predecessor.

 

With regard to your speakers, how do you know they are "flat?" Where are they flat - measured at one foot? 3 feet? listening position? anechoic room?

 

With regard to the HD 600, neutral sounding is not necessarily the same as flat. Ears are shaped differently, different listening volume results in different perceived frequency response - it's all very subjective.

post #7806 of 18354
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post


... sometimes I find them to have perfect bass, sometimes too little and sometimes they seem a little muddy down low...

I experience these as well. In my situation at home, my conclusion, that my setup for hd800 was power dependent. Usually, my best time to listen were early in the morning or late at night. Also, my biggest complaint in regard to the setup was that it was sensitive with wall-warts (phone charger etc). That's one of the reason I still have th900 to cover those times.

post #7807 of 18354

Same thing happened to me a couple nights ago.  Probably brain in but I'm definitely in a honeymoon phase with the HD800.  New tubes, new cables so who knows what is going on.  Enjoying them much more than in the beginning, which was about a month ago but realistically I've been listening only for half that time.  

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by koiloco View Post


Not sure what it is but 3 nites ago, i started listening to my favorite albums on the HD800 and instantly recognized the change in the lows.  Immediately, I switched over to HE500/Emo to compare and did confirm the clear increase of bass on the HD800/WA22.  Whatever happened!  I like it. 

post #7808 of 18354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraha View Post

I experience these as well. In my situation at home, my conclusion, that my setup for hd800 was power dependent. Usually, my best time to listen were early in the morning or late at night. Also, my biggest complaint in regard to the setup was that it was sensitive with wall-warts (phone charger etc). That's one of the reason I still have th900 to cover those times.
Are you pulling my leg?
post #7809 of 18354

I'm guessing the TH-900 is part of a portable rig that is off the grid.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

Are you pulling my leg?
post #7810 of 18354
This^
Edited by James-uk - 1/30/14 at 4:44pm
post #7811 of 18354
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post


Are you pulling my leg?

 

Actually, I'm sharing your experience. 

In my case, that's the conclusion about what happen on my setup.

I can't really enjoy listening to hd800 if someone was charging a phone nearby, or if my washer was running or my wife was using her elliptical.

Sometime, even when none of those happen, I still can't enjoy listening to hd800.

And then suddenly after 9pm, everything was good :)

 

Th900 is useful during those time.


Edited by jsgraha - 1/30/14 at 5:23pm
post #7812 of 18354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraha View Post
 

 

Actually, I'm sharing your experience. 

In my case, that's the conclusion about what happen on my setup.

I can't really enjoy listening to hd800 if someone was charging a phone nearby, or if my washer was running or my wife was using her elliptical.

Th900 is useful during those time.

 

The IEMs are even better during those time. ;) 


Edited by pdrm360 - 1/30/14 at 8:15pm
post #7813 of 18354
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post
 

 

With regard to your speakers, how do you know they are "flat?" Where are they flat - measured at one foot? 3 feet? listening position? anechoic room?

 

With regard to the HD 600, neutral sounding is not necessarily the same as flat. Ears are shaped differently, different listening volume results in different perceived frequency response - it's all very subjective.

Exactly. That's the rub with speakers...they may measure dead flat in an anechoic room, but in a living room, they can change quite a bit depending on the room's acoustics.

post #7814 of 18354
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 


Not sure what it is but 3 nites ago, i started listening to my favorite albums on the HD800 and instantly recognized the change in the lows.  Immediately, I switched over to HE500/Emo to compare and did confirm the clear increase of bass on the HD800/WA22.  Whatever happened!  I like it. 

A man's heart can truly only have one. It seems your days with Miss HE-500 are coming to an end. It's best to let go and let someone else enjoy her. :p

post #7815 of 18354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

A man's heart can truly only have one. It seems your days with Miss HE-500 are coming to an end. It's best to let go and let someone else enjoy her. :p

 
Nope, not going to happen.  HE500 is not going anywhere.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread