or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 497

post #7441 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

I am a 3 week user of the HD800 and there hasn't been anything I've owned quite as good in regards to detail, imaging, and soundstage.  Probably my one and only flagship for a while though I would like to complement it with something like a HE-6:)

Congrats! I have the HE-6 and HD800 as my top pairing too, any of the planars will give you a nice contrast smily_headphones1.gif
post #7442 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

Nuff said, almost :)

 

I was considering the LCD-3 and we both have the same amps.  Would require selling off of my HD800s to try the LCD-3, which I am reluctant to do as it pairs well with the Decware amps.  I suspect the HD800 is one of those headphones that audiophiles have owned and sold a couple times over before coming to final opinion.    

 

What did you not like about the LCD-3 and how did your HD800 win out over the LCD-3?  I consider myself a fan of planars so the LCD-3 was always on my radar.  I owned the LCD-2 and HE-500 in the past.  We also may have similar IEM tastes.  The Heir Audio 4 was one of my favs.      

 

Well, it was a difficult decision and not difficult at the same time. First off, I have an Audio-GD SA-2 DAC, CSP3 pre and the Taboo. Overall, I found that for my preferences, I was always leaning towards tuning the amps towards the leaner end of the spectrum (tube rolling) to get the LCD where I was happy with it. Don't get me wrong, I love the lush, magic mids, full sound of it, but I was finding the separation lacking a bit unless I tuned the amps leaner. Soundstage was okay, certainly not bad, but room for improvement. I think the lushness of the presentation kind of fattened all the notes etc up just enough to where separation and location of instruments in the soundstage suffered a bit. As such, I found myself using just the Taboo with the LCD. I didn't need the additional note weight etc of the pre in the chain. The LCD-3 on the taboo alone was pretty damn good. But was my amp tuned un-naturally bright to chase something that still wasn't quite there?

 

I figured that the one nagging thing I still felt was lacking was separation and stage, so what's the logical answer? Try the headphone that's known as being exceptional in these areas. Turns out the HD800 on the Taboo or CSP+Taboo is outstanding. A different compliment of tubes in play, starting with the stockers ...I found absolutely no problems with harsh or bright highs or lack of bass (which you hear sometimes about the HD800). And I've got very good separation, air, etc. You know when the HD800 got bass weak or overly trebly? When my LCD tube compliment was in play. Okay, now I can hear my chain with more accuracy. A couple weeks of tube tweaking and I've found some serious magic. The only drawback compared to LCD-3...I guess the mids are not a "liquid". But I'm not losing much of the LCD-3's strengths really. And gaining what the HD800 does well. Some tube choices, actually (especially a 6N1P in the input section of the CSP3) will give the HD800 TOO MUCH bass/ thickness. So poo poo on anything I've heard about the HD800 being bass-light. At least in my experience. I really enjoy picking apart recordings hearing each performance and the HD800 allows that to a much higher degree than the LCD-3. 

 

Before this sounds too much like a love letter.... There are still some things that the LCD-3 does better than the HD800. Punch. smooth/liquid mids. I enjoyed the LCD-3 immensely while I had it. Certainly not comfort, though, BTW. LOL. But there's more things that the HD does well on my rig. Weighing the strength and weaknesses of each phone, the HD800 pull ahead. Of course this is my opinion, YMMV etc etc. 

 

After some time spent with the HD800, and going back to the LCD-3, it sounds as if you are listening through wet gauze or something. And much more inside your head. Maybe a top flight SS amp (GSX mk2?) will scale the LCD-3 higher, but for my SA series DAC and all-tube rig the HD800 are a no brainer. I think I'm getting just about all you can get out of this so it's a better overall experience. The reason I said it was a hard and easy decision...It was hard because I really WANTED to like the LCD-3 better for whatever reason but straight up reality made it an easy decision to sell off the LCD. And if I kept the LCD around...I know myself.....I'd spend the next six months obsessively switching back and forth, trying to still decide which I like better. (should I spend more $$$$ on tubes to tweak further for the LCD? etc. etc.). 

 

Another benefit as well with the HD800/Decware rig is it sounds great right off the CSP. It sounds great right off the Taboo. It sounds great off the pair chained together. I've got lots of "flavors" to plug into. If a certain album is a bit bright/dry, plug into the CSP. Got something too warm/fat? Go right off the Taboo or tweak the CSP/Taboo balance. The LCD-3 really I was getting the best results only off the Taboo balanced out. 

 

So that's my long-winded response. I would say think very carefully and audition the LCD-3 on your own rig before selling off the HD800 to try them. I feel I can get really close to the CSP+Taboo with just the Taboo alone. A bit leaner overall presentation but still very very good. I'm sure you are pretty satisfied with Taboo/HD800? Are you using balanced out? I hope. 

post #7443 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

Nuff said, almost :)

 

I was considering the LCD-3 and we both have the same amps.  Would require selling off of my HD800s to try the LCD-3, which I am reluctant to do as it pairs well with the Decware amps.  I suspect the HD800 is one of those headphones that audiophiles have owned and sold a couple times over before coming to final opinion.    

 

What did you not like about the LCD-3 and how did your HD800 win out over the LCD-3?  I consider myself a fan of planars so the LCD-3 was always on my radar.  I owned the LCD-2 and HE-500 in the past.  We also may have similar IEM tastes.  The Heir Audio 4 was one of my favs.      

 

Well, it was a difficult decision and not difficult at the same time. First off, I have an Audio-GD SA-2 DAC, CSP3 pre and the Taboo. Overall, I found that for my preferences, I was always leaning towards tuning the amps towards the leaner end of the spectrum (tube rolling) to get the LCD where I was happy with it. Don't get me wrong, I love the lush, magic mids, full sound of it, but I was finding the separation lacking a bit unless I tuned the amps leaner. Soundstage was okay, certainly not bad, but room for improvement. I think the lushness of the presentation kind of fattened all the notes etc up just enough to where separation and location of instruments in the soundstage suffered a bit. As such, I found myself using just the Taboo with the LCD. I didn't need the additional note weight etc of the pre in the chain. The LCD-3 on the taboo alone was pretty damn good. But was my amp tuned un-naturally bright to chase something that still wasn't quite there?

 

I figured that the one nagging thing I still felt was lacking was separation and stage, so what's the logical answer? Try the headphone that's known as being exceptional in these areas. Turns out the HD800 on the Taboo or CSP+Taboo is outstanding. A different compliment of tubes in play, starting with the stockers ...I found absolutely no problems with harsh or bright highs or lack of bass (which you hear sometimes about the HD800). And I've got very good separation, air, etc. You know when the HD800 got bass weak or overly trebly? When my LCD tube compliment was in play. Okay, now I can hear my chain with more accuracy. A couple weeks of tube tweaking and I've found some serious magic. The only drawback compared to LCD-3...I guess the mids are not a "liquid". But I'm not losing much of the LCD-3's strengths really. And gaining what the HD800 does well. Some tube choices, actually (especially a 6N1P in the input section of the CSP3) will give the HD800 TOO MUCH bass/ thickness. So poo poo on anything I've heard about the HD800 being bass-light. At least in my experience. I really enjoy picking apart recordings hearing each performance and the HD800 allows that to a much higher degree than the LCD-3. 

 

Before this sounds too much like a love letter.... There are still some things that the LCD-3 does better than the HD800. Punch. smooth/liquid mids. I enjoyed the LCD-3 immensely while I had it. Certainly not comfort, though, BTW. LOL. But there's more things that the HD does well on my rig. Weighing the strength and weaknesses of each phone, the HD800 pull ahead. Of course this is my opinion, YMMV etc etc. 

 

After some time spent with the HD800, and going back to the LCD-3, it sounds as if you are listening through wet gauze or something. And much more inside your head. Maybe a top flight SS amp (GSX mk2?) will scale the LCD-3 higher, but for my SA series DAC and all-tube rig the HD800 are a no brainer. I think I'm getting just about all you can get out of this so it's a better overall experience. The reason I said it was a hard and easy decision...It was hard because I really WANTED to like the LCD-3 better for whatever reason but straight up reality made it an easy decision to sell off the LCD. And if I kept the LCD around...I know myself.....I'd spend the next six months obsessively switching back and forth, trying to still decide which I like better. (should I spend more $$$$ on tubes to tweak further for the LCD? etc. etc.). 

 

Another benefit as well with the HD800/Decware rig is it sounds great right off the CSP. It sounds great right off the Taboo. It sounds great off the pair chained together. I've got lots of "flavors" to plug into. If a certain album is a bit bright/dry, plug into the CSP. Got something too warm/fat? Go right off the Taboo or tweak the CSP/Taboo balance. The LCD-3 really I was getting the best results only off the Taboo balanced out. 

 

So that's my long-winded response. I would say think very carefully and audition the LCD-3 on your own rig before selling off the HD800 to try them. I feel I can get really close to the CSP+Taboo with just the Taboo alone. A bit leaner overall presentation but still very very good. I'm sure you are pretty satisfied with Taboo/HD800? Are you using balanced out? I hope. 

+1

post #7444 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post
 

 And if I kept the LCD around...I know myself.....I'd spend the next six months obsessively switching back and forth, trying to still decide which I like better. (should I spend more $$$$ on tubes to tweak further for the LCD? etc. etc.). 

 

Sooooooo true !

 

I'm happy to see I'm not alone in front of this madness :D 

post #7445 of 24366

That was quite an insightful answer.  Makes perfect sense to me, especially in the context of your amps.  Nuff said :)  With the right set of tubes one couldn't ask for much more out of the HD800 and Taboo combo.  

 

Part of the transition process for me.  I had been listening primarily to the Alpha Dog for 4 months then I added the HD-800 to the mix.  The palpable mids of orthos take some time to ween off of because for me it is an instant visceral response.  But as you said, the mids of the HD800 ain't too shabby.  The Alpha Dog will be there for me when I have a "liquid mids" panic attack.     

 

And you're right, it is a blast noticing new things about recordings as the HD800 resolves the music for you.

 

Balanced cable coming next week.  Been using the stock single-ended cable so far.  

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Well, it was a difficult decision and not difficult at the same time. First off, I have an Audio-GD SA-2 DAC, CSP3 pre and the Taboo. Overall, I found that for my preferences, I was always leaning towards tuning the amps towards the leaner end of the spectrum (tube rolling) to get the LCD where I was happy with it. Don't get me wrong, I love the lush, magic mids, full sound of it, but I was finding the separation lacking a bit unless I tuned the amps leaner. Soundstage was okay, certainly not bad, but room for improvement. I think the lushness of the presentation kind of fattened all the notes etc up just enough to where separation and location of instruments in the soundstage suffered a bit. As such, I found myself using just the Taboo with the LCD. I didn't need the additional note weight etc of the pre in the chain. The LCD-3 on the taboo alone was pretty damn good. But was my amp tuned un-naturally bright to chase something that still wasn't quite there?

 

I figured that the one nagging thing I still felt was lacking was separation and stage, so what's the logical answer? Try the headphone that's known as being exceptional in these areas. Turns out the HD800 on the Taboo or CSP+Taboo is outstanding. A different compliment of tubes in play, starting with the stockers ...I found absolutely no problems with harsh or bright highs or lack of bass (which you hear sometimes about the HD800). And I've got very good separation, air, etc. You know when the HD800 got bass weak or overly trebly? When my LCD tube compliment was in play. Okay, now I can hear my chain with more accuracy. A couple weeks of tube tweaking and I've found some serious magic. The only drawback compared to LCD-3...I guess the mids are not a "liquid". But I'm not losing much of the LCD-3's strengths really. And gaining what the HD800 does well. Some tube choices, actually (especially a 6N1P in the input section of the CSP3) will give the HD800 TOO MUCH bass/ thickness. So poo poo on anything I've heard about the HD800 being bass-light. At least in my experience. I really enjoy picking apart recordings hearing each performance and the HD800 allows that to a much higher degree than the LCD-3. 

 

Before this sounds too much like a love letter.... There are still some things that the LCD-3 does better than the HD800. Punch. smooth/liquid mids. I enjoyed the LCD-3 immensely while I had it. Certainly not comfort, though, BTW. LOL. But there's more things that the HD does well on my rig. Weighing the strength and weaknesses of each phone, the HD800 pull ahead. Of course this is my opinion, YMMV etc etc. 

 

After some time spent with the HD800, and going back to the LCD-3, it sounds as if you are listening through wet gauze or something. And much more inside your head. Maybe a top flight SS amp (GSX mk2?) will scale the LCD-3 higher, but for my SA series DAC and all-tube rig the HD800 are a no brainer. I think I'm getting just about all you can get out of this so it's a better overall experience. The reason I said it was a hard and easy decision...It was hard because I really WANTED to like the LCD-3 better for whatever reason but straight up reality made it an easy decision to sell off the LCD. And if I kept the LCD around...I know myself.....I'd spend the next six months obsessively switching back and forth, trying to still decide which I like better. (should I spend more $$$$ on tubes to tweak further for the LCD? etc. etc.). 

 

Another benefit as well with the HD800/Decware rig is it sounds great right off the CSP. It sounds great right off the Taboo. It sounds great off the pair chained together. I've got lots of "flavors" to plug into. If a certain album is a bit bright/dry, plug into the CSP. Got something too warm/fat? Go right off the Taboo or tweak the CSP/Taboo balance. The LCD-3 really I was getting the best results only off the Taboo balanced out. 

 

So that's my long-winded response. I would say think very carefully and audition the LCD-3 on your own rig before selling off the HD800 to try them. I feel I can get really close to the CSP+Taboo with just the Taboo alone. A bit leaner overall presentation but still very very good. I'm sure you are pretty satisfied with Taboo/HD800? Are you using balanced out? I hope. 

 

 

post #7446 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

That was quite an insightful answer.  Makes perfect sense to me, especially in the context of your amps.  Nuff said :)  With the right set of tubes one couldn't ask for much more out of the HD800 and Taboo combo.  

 

Part of the transition process for me.  I had been listening primarily to the Alpha Dog for 4 months then I added the HD-800 to the mix.  The palpable mids of orthos take some time to ween off of because for me it is an instant visceral response.  But as you said, the mids of the HD800 ain't too shabby.  The Alpha Dog will be there for me when I have a "liquid mids" panic attack.     

 

And you're right, it is a blast noticing new things about recordings as the HD800 resolves the music for you.

 

Balanced cable coming next week.  Been using the stock single-ended cable so far.  

 

WNBC, thanks.

 

What you said - "The palpable mids of orthos take some time to ween off of" pretty much hits the nail on the head of the only thing I could say I miss from the LCD-3. The HD800, properly amped pretty much pulls ahead in every other regard. 

 

Good to hear you have a balanced cable coming. The Taboo 3 is a speaker amp at heart, balanced out will give you the full experience. The single ended out on the Taboo is a workaround and crutch at best, and the "old lucid" mode must be engaged at all times running single ended. The balanced out via XLR or speaker taps will lift the HD800 up quite a bit from what you're hearing now. You get the pure amp without either lucid mode engaged. So you have something big to look forward to!  

post #7447 of 24366

You've been quoted so the pressure is on your claim:)  Looking forward to comparing SE and Balanced out of the Taboo.  

 

I have on loan another flagship, the TH-900.  Since I prefer jazz I'm sticking with HD-800.  TH-900 is an excellent headphone but I prefer the less thick presentation of the HD800 for jazz and classical.  I could see having a TH-900 for those times when you want really warm, smooth vocals and more bass impact.     

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

 

The balanced out via XLR or speaker taps will lift the HD800 up quite a bit from what you're hearing now. You get the pure amp without either lucid mode engaged. So you have something big to look forward to!  

post #7448 of 24366
post #7449 of 24366
Would anyone please comment on the bass quantity of HD600 vs HD800? Thanks.
post #7450 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicisthekey View Post

Would anyone please comment on the bass quantity of HD600 vs HD800? Thanks.

Its better

post #7451 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicisthekey View Post

Would anyone please comment on the bass quantity of HD600 vs HD800? Thanks.

There's a little more quantity with the HD800. It goes deeper and is a little better quality too. Clearer.  

post #7452 of 24366
I was worried about the reports that HD800 is very light in bass. I've heard HD600 and its bass quantity was very satisfying to me.
post #7453 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicisthekey View Post

I was worried about the reports that HD800 is very light in bass. I've heard HD600 and its bass quantity was very satisfying to me.

It really depends on the amping.

 

But naturally, compared to other headphones, the HD800's bass is anemic.


Edited by DarKen23 - 1/13/14 at 9:30am
post #7454 of 24366
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

There's a little more quantity with the HD800. It goes deeper and is a little better quality too. Clearer.  

 

+1 . :L3000:

post #7455 of 24366
I've narrowed it down to V200 and Bottlehead Crack with Speedball. What amp would have better synergy with HD800?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread