or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 494

post #7396 of 24289
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 


Dynamic, as I've been trained in piano/music lessons since 6, has always been about controlling the overall loudness, ppp to fff per say.  Different level of dynamic of course can be achieved by finger attack speed on piano or bowing pressure/speed/angle on violin and other techniques... For me, dynamic is simply the range between the lowest volume and the highest volume. 

I have also realized that when it comes to HPs, the perceived dynamic is greatly affected by what you mentioned, soundstage, HP speed...these factors make the argument a little too subjective to discuss clearly cuz we all hear/perceive things very differently.

Btw, I love scotch but prefer tequila.  New bottle last nite too.  :D 

Hmmm.... I like tequila too :D 

 

I'm on my fourth large one and I've changed my avatar to the Hoff... I just can't be serious now guys :D 

 

But if I could just squeeze one last little bit of sense out of my soon becoming inebriated brain, it would be that 'dynamics' is one of those terms that is not easily understood by a lot of head-fiers and this is a good healthy argument. And you've just described what 'dynamic' is very well there bud imo.

 

*hic*  

post #7397 of 24289
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post
 

Dynamic: Giving an impression of wide dynamic range. This is related to perceived speed as well as contrasts in volume both large and small.


Dynamic range: 
1) Pertaining to a signal: the ratio between the loudest and the quietest passages. 
2) Pertaining to a component: the ratio between its no-signal noise and the loudest peak it will pass without distortion.

Underlined is what I mainly pointed out that both HD800 and HE500 are not that far apart like some of us want to believe.

Your statement is red, IMO, is too subjective depending on each person's perception of what he/she is hearing therefore I wouldn't venture to argue against it.

post #7398 of 24289

I have to find a pair of HE500's to experience them....That would be interesting.

post #7399 of 24289
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Underlined is what I mainly pointed out that both HD800 and HE500 are not that far apart like some of us want to believe.

Your statement is red, IMO, is too subjective depending on each person's perception of what he/she is hearing therefore I wouldn't venture to argue against it.

 

Why you even think about arguing?  I like tequila too.  ;) 

post #7400 of 24289
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

I have to find a pair of HE500's to experience them....That would be interesting.

Defo. They are a great headphone, but judging by the very recent bit of hype concerning the new HE560 you may want to wait a little while... 

post #7401 of 24289
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

I have to find a pair of HE500's to experience them....That would be interesting.

Defo. They are a great headphone, but judging by the very recent bit of hype concerning the new HE560 you may want to wait a little while... 

No worries there. I do not have a dealer for them in 400 miles.

post #7402 of 24289
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

I have to find a pair of HE500's to experience them....That would be interesting.


If I can get to the Minneapolis meet I will have mine there you can try out if you were thinking of going that is.

post #7403 of 24289

It is an outside possibility. I would like to so we will see if I can make it.

post #7404 of 24289
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

No worries there. I do not have a dealer for them in 400 miles.

 

You won't miss anything much!

post #7405 of 24289
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post
 

 

You won't miss anything much!


Guess that's one man's opinion, I personally like the HE500's quite a lot, I also like my HD800's, too...:beerchug: 


Edited by bearFNF - 1/10/14 at 9:38pm
post #7406 of 24289
My HD800s and my HE-500s are engaged in an ongoing battle for my attention. I love both. My HD800s are 'better' but I generally enjoy music on the HE-500s more. But I change my mind about that every other day. smily_headphones1.gif
post #7407 of 24289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

My HD800s and my HE-500s are engaged in an ongoing battle for my attention. I love both. My HD800s are 'better' but I generally enjoy music on the HE-500s more. But I change my mind about that every other day. smily_headphones1.gif

This is where it's always best to be honest with yourself. No matter how much you read that a certain headphone is 'better' technically or whatever, if it doesn't appeal to your senses with music then its not doing its job. I think the HE500 is a fantastic headphone. A great all-rounder. Nothing sounds bad on them. But also for me, nothing sounds spectacular on them either. This is where the HD800 beats them for my personal preference. Wish I could afford to still own both though..

post #7408 of 24289
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

This is where it's always best to be honest with yourself. No matter how much you read that a certain headphone is 'better' technically or whatever, if it doesn't appeal to your senses with music then its not doing its job. I think the HE500 is a fantastic headphone. A great all-rounder. Nothing sounds bad on them. But also for me, nothing sounds spectacular on them either. This is where the HD800 beats them for my personal preference. Wish I could afford to still own both though..

 

The thing is my perceptions tend to shift so often that I never get to a final conclusion.  Especially with the HD800s I have amazing days and bad days.  It's a great privilege and luxury to be able to have a few different flavours around the house.  :)

post #7409 of 24289

Considering this is the HE-500 Appreciation Thread. Yea, HE-500 walks all over HD800. 

Just trust my ears on this one.

post #7410 of 24289
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post
 

Considering this is the HE-500 Appreciation Thread. Yea, HE-500 walks all over HD800. 

Just trust my ears on this one.

Hey Cory, you got your eye on the new HE560? Seems this may be the new HD800 rival! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread