or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 492

post #7366 of 25183

Awesome. Thank you kind sir! I must say, I am new to this forum, but you guys have a great community here. :beerchug:

post #7367 of 25183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

The one genre I've so far discovered the HD800 to be actually kinda bad at is metal.
You must be joking.
post #7368 of 25183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

The one genre I've so far discovered the HD800 to be actually kinda bad at is metal.

What? I love my HD800 with metal! Bands like Ayreon, Opeth, and early dream theater sounds awsome with a lot of details!
post #7369 of 25183
I guess I should rephrase the metal comment. It is the only genre so far I found the HE-500 to flatly win over the HD800.
post #7370 of 25183

Actually, the HD800 isn't very bad with metal but I found some other headphones even better. 

post #7371 of 25183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

I guess I should rephrase the metal comment. It is the only genre so far I found the HE-500 to flatly win over the HD800.
Again I will disagree. HE-500s, in my experience, don't have the dynamic contrast that is so very important with most metal, especially progressive types. I've always said HE-500s were sort of vanilla in their delivery. Good at everything, but excellent at nothing. The 800s trounce them in metal for sure.
post #7372 of 25183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


Again I will disagree. HE-500s, in my experience, don't have the dynamic contrast that is so very important with most metal, especially progressive types. I've always said HE-500s were sort of vanilla in their delivery. Good at everything, but excellent at nothing. The 800s trounce them in metal for sure.

 

The HD800 is also good but not excellent in metal, IMO. 


Edited by pdrm360 - 1/9/14 at 11:45am
post #7373 of 25183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


Again I will disagree. HE-500s, in my experience, don't have the dynamic contrast that is so very important with most metal, especially progressive types. I've always said HE-500s were sort of vanilla in their delivery. Good at everything, but excellent at nothing. The 800s trounce them in metal for sure.


Let's just agree to disagree.  To me, my HD800 is not enjoyable with metal.  HE500 lacks dynamic contrast??? You are definitely on something or we are not talking about the same 'dynamic'.  ;)

Last time, I compared the 2 listening to some metal was ... last nite.

post #7374 of 25183
Yes they lack dynamic contrast.

If the recording calls for volume 2 to 9, the HD800 tends to give 2-7. The HE-500 gives 4-6, a smaller, more boring sound. They sound like radio dynamic compression. Radio sounds good, but it doesn't sound great.
post #7375 of 25183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post
 

 

 

Through a HD800 ? :blink: 

 

 

Recently I find Music that sounds fantastic through HD800 . It's not my preferred genre but to my ears , HD800 reproduces its atmosphere and sound textures in a very enjoyable way: 

 

 

http://tamas-olejnik.bandcamp.com/album/calm

 

 

In Classical & Contemporary Jazz , I've many many recordings that sound amazing with HD800. These Last Days for example I listen to this :

 

 

Thanks for sharing them, I really enjoyed!

post #7376 of 25183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Yes they lack dynamic contrast.

If the recording calls for volume 2 to 9, the HD800 tends to give 2-7. The HE-500 gives 4-6, a smaller, more boring sound. They sound like radio dynamic compression. Radio sounds good, but it doesn't sound great.

Give me an F... break.  Well, we believe what we wanna believe.  Let's leave it at we disagree.

post #7377 of 25183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Yes they lack dynamic contrast.

If the recording calls for volume 2 to 9, the HD800 tends to give 2-7. The HE-500 gives 4-6, a smaller, more boring sound. They sound like radio dynamic compression. Radio sounds good, but it doesn't sound great.

In my system he6 also suffered in dynamic contrast compared to hd800, and lacked the recovery speed to keep up with faster heavy metal. HE6 were however warmer, fuller bodied and with the right amp had better bass slam.
post #7378 of 25183
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Give me an F... break.  Well, we believe what we wanna believe.  Let's leave it at we disagree.

 

Huh?? How hard is it to tell the difference between pianissimo and triple forte? Dynamics are one of the easiest things to differentiate in audio (ime) between transducers, dacs, and amps.  Not hard-and simple to discern imo. I don't know about the HE500 per se, but the LCD 2.2 were fairly lacking in dynamics. Everything just seems on the same level almost-like most compressed 'loudness wars' music these days.

 

-Daniel

post #7379 of 25183
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post
 

 

Huh?? How hard is it to tell the difference between pianissimo and triple forte? Dynamics are one of the easiest things to differentiate in audio (ime) between transducers, dacs, and amps.  Not hard-and simple to discern imo. I don't know about the HE500 per se, but the LCD 2.2 were fairly lacking in dynamics. Everything just seems on the same level almost-like most compressed 'loudness wars' music these days.

 

-Daniel


It's also why I found my HE500 to sound good with lesser recordings. The dynamic flaws and compression in the masters weren't as exposed.


Edited by BleaK - 1/10/14 at 2:41am
post #7380 of 25183

Edit: Nerve mind. The film is there on my HD800, I feel dumb.


Edited by Swolern - 1/10/14 at 6:53am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread